• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

One more turn.. Do it. Civ is calling you...Do it.

There is no help, just make to another turn.

Weirdest thing is that I haven't played Civ5 for a couple of months.
Less weird thing is that I stopped playing it because it took my crappy rig too much time to load turns, so it probably just was my subconscious telling me to fucking click on the ORDER THAT GODDAMN PC ALREADY button. :D

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Someone posted on Facebook an article of this guy who traveled all 201 countries of the world without using a plane and my first thought was: "holy shit! 201 countries? it must take years to load a turn in Civ5"

Probably I should sleep more, but fact is I just woke up. Somebody help me plz
Hahaha, it happens. After a long session of Mirror's Edge I start looking at buildings in the street and mentally planning a free running route between them. After playing Just Cause 2 I couldn't avoid thinking of places which would be good for launching the grappling hook and glide into the sky. After trying Rapelay I... realized games shouldn't be attempted in real life :p

(the first 2 are really true)

Arthea

Anyone know any fun/good Spelunky Let's Plays/gameplay videos?

Talking about Spelunky, I maybe encountered glitch or I am doing something wrong. I played using a keyboard, I can pick collectibles just fine: bombs, ropes and such, but I can't pick items or damsels to carry. I think I tried everything, I even checked controls settings in options (imagine that!), nothing, it simply don't work. Am I missing something obvious here?
Another one weird thing, bomb throwing works in very strange ways, as if trajectories were random or something. Are they?

Caerith

Hey, that might be a cause,
I went to war with Ixion too, thanks for pointing that out! and I lost soldiers there
I think to do sort of perfect run (passing one test on all events), it takes a lot of planning though, and I'm not so sure it's worth, seeing how I can still make wrong choices. Have you tried that?
I did do a lot of planning for my naval victory run, but I should clarify and say I actually did a lot of planning for who I intended to romance. It takes a lot of certain skills to even recognize that person as an option, and then you need to get that skill by the dance and also have the skills to carry out the romance. So, I planned a lot for
discovering the Brin is a lesbian, dancing with her and being a good dancer, and interpreting her flowers the following week so I could carry out the romance that lead to perhaps the happiest marriage in the game.
So, once I figured out how to get that romance, the only thing left was to live long enough to see it through. And because of the steps I had to take to get that romance, there was only one path open to me: naval victory.

After that, it was just a matter of plotting in some classes in
economics and strategy
for
recruiting via printing press
, and I had the whole second half of the game to build my war machine and learn how to use it.

If I was going to play again for a naval victory without worrying about romance, I wouldn't need to plan-- fewer skill checks, and a more-relaxed schedule.

Hahaha, it happens. After a long session of Mirror's Edge I start looking at buildings in the street and mentally planning a free running route between them. After playing Just Cause 2 I couldn't avoid thinking of places which would be good for launching the grappling hook and glide into the sky. After trying Rapelay I... realized games shouldn't be attempted in real life :p

accident.png

Copons

:D

Yeah, or after playing Portal, when you find yourself scanning every surface around in search of white-painted areas, thinking how convenient would be to open a portal there to instantly get back home, then realizing that you forgot to open a portal in your home so it would be useless. :(

Arthea

I did do a lot of planning for my naval victory run, but I should clarify and say I actually did a lot of planning for who I intended to romance. It takes a lot of certain skills to even recognize that person as an option, and then you need to get that skill by the dance and also have the skills to carry out the romance. So, I planned a lot for
discovering the Brin is a lesbian, dancing with her and being a good dancer, and interpreting her flowers the following week so I could carry out the romance that lead to perhaps the happiest marriage in the game.
So, once I figured out how to get that romance, the only thing left was to live long enough to see it through. And because of the steps I had to take to get that romance, there was only one path open to me: naval victory.

After that, it was just a matter of plotting in some classes in
economics and strategy
for
recruiting via printing press
, and I had the whole second half of the game to build my war machine and learn how to use it.

If I was going to play again for a naval victory without worrying about romance, I wouldn't need to plan-- fewer skill checks, and a more-relaxed schedule.
you make me understand that I should have made something about this romance, I got flowers from her, but it didn't lead to anything. That's was older run, so I can't remember why it didn't come to fruition.
I think I know all possible romancing options by now, only I barely tapped into it, as I'm still trying to find last ways to die, without much success too. I usually sacrificed certain ways if I had no convenient save and found a new way to die.

So Brothers - A Tale of two Sons:

I finished this up tonight so thought I'd share a few thoughts.

The Good

* The graphics are frequently amazing. The game knows this too and does a great job of highlighting the best work. Most impressive is the sense of scale achieved. You'll often have a moment where you view your starting point off in the far distance. It impresses every time.
* Mechanically, beside the dual stick issue everything works as it should. I only hit one major glitch (sadly right at the end) where a model was appearing where it really shouldn't be.
* While I thought it was a confused effort (more on that in the bad) there is no doubt that there are a lot of memorable scenes. It doesn't all work as a whole, but the parts are sometimes amazing.
* The game is short enough that it doesn't outstay its welcome. This is a good thing because there really isn't a lot to do.

The Bad

* I thought the game was very confused in tone. While it is exploring some rather heavy themes (and has some pretty dark moments) I never got the impression that the designers knew what they were making. Instead they were grabbing elements from everywhere in the hope that they would be hard hitting. It doesn't become a complete mess, but I did find it distracting and it took away from any emotional impact.
* The way the whole story plays out is rather far-fetched. For a start, what sort of Doctor doesn't have a "guy" to fetch ingredients? While that seems like knit-picking, it sets the tone for the inconsistent set of themes running throughout. These writing issues are best exhibited by the opening few steps of the journey. To get to the medicine, you first have to climb to the very top of a mountain. Why? So you can jump right down to a cave at the very bottom with the help of a giant friend. Once you are in the cave, the giant friend drops you off and you progress through all sorts of dangerous leaps and jumps. When you finally get to the end of the cave? Your giant friend is back walking through the exit door. You have to ask, why couldn't he just drop you off at that same point? Why, after you just saved his misses does he then leave you alone straight after? I mean, help or don't help Mr Giant, don't half-ass it.
These are obviously concessions to being a "game", but then they don't go far enough to create something fun to play. What it does is damages the flow and pacing of the story which really makes me wish it was more focused.
* Some gameplay sections are quite clever, but are over before you even start to enjoy them. On the other hand, other mechanics are way overused and you'll dread seeing two handholds at the bottom of a cliff.

But overall, the good parts overwhelm the negative parts and it turned into an experience I really enjoyed (perhaps surprisingly so). So thanks to all the people that recommended it and Amazon of course for dropping the price. Even at the higher steam amount, I'd still happily recommend it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
you lucky!!!!!

you should share these deals with us man!

hmm btw.. why was Elven Legacy taken off Steam?

Paradox's publishing contract expired and while 1C now publishes the games elsewhere (e.g. GamersGate) it has yet to bring them back to Steam.

Edit: By "deals" do you mean cheap games? I just buy through a trader so I still have to deal with small profit margins (nothing more than a couple of bucks -- there's obviously less of an overhead on cheaper stuff), but if somebody wants me to get an item for them, they can ask. It's not something I'd like to do full-time a la Dunder but I wouldn't mind helping a fellow GAFer out.

Caerith

you make me understand that I should have made something about this romance, I got flowers from her, but it didn't lead to anything. That's was older run, so I can't remember why it didn't come to fruition.
I think I know all possible romancing options by now, only I barely tapped into it, as I'm still trying to find last ways to die, without much success too. I usually sacrificed certain ways if I had no convenient save and found a new way to die.

Regarding flowers:
you need really high court manners (90!) to recognize that Brin's boquet signifies a secret love. When the birthday party comes, by the way, it only takes 80 to decline without starting a civil war.

Regarding not saving: I recently learned that you can scroll up on the mouse wheel to rewind a bit. Won't take you back very far, but if you're faced with a choice of "Do the right thing" vs "There might be an achievement for dying this stupidly" you can usually get the death, then scroll up and change your answer.

Arthea

And that's all, folks:
Holy smoke, you are on the roll.

Regarding flowers:
you need really high court manners (90!) to recognize that Brin's boquet signifies a secret love. When the birthday party comes, by the way, it only takes 80 to decline without starting a civil war.

Regarding not saving: I recently learned that you can scroll up on the mouse wheel to rewind a bit. Won't take you back very far, but if you're faced with a choice of "Do the right thing" vs "There might be an achievement for dying this stupidly" you can usually get the death, then scroll up and change your answer.
That might be it! I don't remember how high my court manners were, but unlikely at 90

That's nice find! Thanks a lot for this, it'll save me much time, I think.

wilflare

Paradox's publishing contract expired and while 1C now publishes the games elsewhere (e.g. GamersGate) it has yet to bring them back to Steam.

zzzz. I've been wanting to complete my set of them while waiting for a sale.
all these publisher stuff is really nonsense.

Jase, pass me some of your luck as I get cards for 99 Spirits please

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When are we gonna get CiM2 complete?

I love my Vita more than the 3DS. the hardware on the 3DS is horrid. would love to stream the games to play on my Vita instead.

I don't buy Vita because all of the games I want to play there I can play on PC. 3DS meanwhile is keeping me busy along with PC. Hardware isn't even a problem.

wilflare

When are we gonna get CiM2 complete?

I don't buy Vita because all of the games I want to play there I can play on PC. 3DS meanwhile is keeping me busy along with PC. Hardware isn't even a problem.

hehe you must have missed out some gems!
I bought a number of 3DS games (all the recommended ones) but the hardware is really keeping me from enjoying them.. guess it's just me.

hmm will there be any more Killing Floor stuff added? or is whatever on Steam store as complete as can be?

wilflare

Assuming all the keys sell at their listed prices, which they should, I'll make just under $164, representing a profit of just under $153.

The best I can do is this Saoirse gif of +1 fuck:

tumblr_mlkm5v5o6n1rb3f7jc2.gif

lol. here's go nothing. I'm booting up the game.
I liked her in the Host actually

Jørdan

Grats on Motor Rock, can't understand how it's getting that much already let alone at all. There must be a fare few copies still floating around in inventories, it's also fucking Motor Rock.

Coldsun

Banned
hmm in other words, my game count will increase again right?
any chance it'll get any cheaper too?

lol. if I'm playing DXHR for the first time
should I play the Base+DLC or the Director's Cut

Yes, your game count will go up.
I'd play the Director's cut as the DLC is actually integrated into the story.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Has Gabe appeared in person in some games outside of tutorials? That'd be awesome.

hehe you must have missed out some gems!
I bought a number of 3DS games (all the recommended ones) but the hardware is really keeping me from enjoying them.. guess it's just me.

Not at all. I even tried out "recommended" games like Kat's game (which was mediocre) and LBP Vita (which, while the least offending LBP game, is still an LBP game).

Hardware has never been an issue for me. My favorite console is still the PS2.

To get to the medicine, you first have to climb to the very top of a mountain. Why? So you can jump right down to a cave at the very bottom with the help of a giant friend. Once you are in the cave, the giant friend drops you off and you progress through all sorts of dangerous leaps and jumps. When you finally get to the end of the cave? Your giant friend is back walking through the exit door. You have to ask, why couldn't he just drop you off at that same point? Why, after you just saved his misses does he then leave you alone straight after? I mean, help or don't help Mr Giant, don't half-ass it.

heavy nitpicking from your part,
but to be fair he was trading information on how to get the medicine for your help to seek and free his wife, I see your point nevertheless.

milena87

I'd play the normal version as it's more stable than the DC. Also, the DLC is nice and all, but it kinda ruins the pace of the main game, so I prefer to play it separately.

wilflare

Has Gabe appeared in person in some games outside of tutorials? That'd be awesome.

Not at all. I even tried out "recommended" games like Kat's game (which was mediocre) and LBP Vita (which, while the least offending LBP game, is still an LBP game).

Hardware has never been an issue for me. My favorite console is still the PS2.

hehe u gotta try Tearaway, there's plenty of other stuff
and honestly, there are tons of games I would rather play on the Vita than PC
that includes Spelunky, Rogue Legacy and more

Deques

I would go for DC

It won't get any cheaper, it didn't get cheaper during the Winter sale. It did get 75% off, but for us who got base+dlc didn't get any further discount.

If I remember correctly the Missing Link mission is integrated to the main story, in other words, non-skippable mission.

Dolken

Neo Member
Leftovers from Freyja's Bundle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dolken, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Titan Quest Gold -- MB-1BC103824010C69C - Taken by bornlivedie. 5 entrants total.
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance -- MB-ACD942A0A5D30FF1
Supreme Commander -- MB-986C0AB143A8A1E9 - Taken by Soule. 3 entrants total.

t1389278666z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hmm has anyone actually earned good money from Cards?
hmm the temptation to keep crafting is simply @_@

I made something north of $120 in the few weeks leading up to the Autumn Sale... but I also had around 600 cards to offload.

KarmaCow

I pretty much buy all my games with it though that's usually from selling a bagillion cards at 10c each.

Still, I find that more valuable than whatever garbage you get from crafting.

Coldsun

Banned
I've made upward of around 160 off of cards since its started. Granted, some foil markets are past tapped and I was hard pressed to even make the $7.23 I did last night selling off my remaining foils from last year's summer sale.

Getting Metal Gear Revengence for 16 bucks and some change was nice though =)

Arthea

As Jasec I had ~600 cards or more, too lazy to count, but I did heavy crafting and only sold some, it's really hard to stop crafting when you start, keep that in mind. I spent much more than I got from selling cards :(
just a friendly advice
edited: not to mention that for half a year I only played games that drop cards and haven't finished any of them (><)

wilflare

I pretty much buy all my games with it though that's usually from selling a bagillion cards at 10c each.

Still, I find that more valuable than whatever garbage you get from crafting.

hmm what are your levels then? maybe I should stop crafting and just start selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom