• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
by the gums of satan's scrotum i have beaten outlast

next up, amnesia

LZ8cH30.gif

My wife can't be in the same room as me when I play his game because she says I scream like a little bitch. She said between this and me throwing up on a sailboat, she can't see how I'm in the military.

Anteater

The DLC intimidates me for some reason... I'm on my 2nd playthrough now, which is probably my 5th playthrough of the core game in less than a year... I bought the DLC at release on PS3, but just couldn't bring myself to play it... and now it's the same with the PC version....

=o Just go play it! Sam is kind of cool, I like him better than Raiden but that first boss for some reason is a lot quicker :lol

Tellaerin

Wait, is the woman singing the trailer song trying to imitate a vocaloid? Is this a thing now?

Anyways, I'm inclined to vote for it just because of the dumb comments about "oh what this doesn't belong on Steam it's for 8-year-old anime girls."

Yeah, just saw that. That asinine comment and the one above it (the "This doesn't belong on Steam. It belongs in some Korean "game" website. Seriously. Take this stuff away." one) were enough to make me upvote it even though don't have much interest in playing it myself. It looks professionally done, and it'll appeal to genre fans. More choice is a good thing. People are such dipshits.

Tellaerin

If Superfrog were cheaper, it could be the new Bad Rats.

Nothing can be the "new" Bad Rats unless it's a sequel. (I'm still holding out for "Bad Rats 2: Rad Bats", featuring the voice talents of Troy Baker, Nolan North, and Johnny Yong Bosch. It's not like they don't have the money for it, now that Bad Rats has reached god tier status during Steam sales. >.>)

Momentary

Banned
I remember somebody telling me that the Steam concurrent user count isn't impressive because it counts the number or people that have the app on their phone and the people that have it on their PC as separate numbers, but I thought Steam only counts the individual account itself... not whether or not the same account is signed on the mobile app also. How does it work?

Because 7.8 million users is pretty impressive if it's not counting accounts twice from different devices.

Jørdan

Because 7.8 million users is pretty impressive if it's not counting accounts twice from different devices.

Can you be signed in on both computer and mobile? I wouldn't think that possible, even if it was how many phones do we think make up the 7.8 million. I can't fathom it being a huge number.

Jørdan;96864461 said:
Can you be signed in on both computer and mobile? I wouldn't think that possible, even if it was how many phones do we think make up the 7.8 million. I can't fathom it being a huge number.

Yep doing it right now! It's terribly annoying to get chat messages on my phone and my computer.

Turfster

Jørdan;96864887 said:
Huh, I thought you might be limited to being signed in to one device.

Well, if I'm logged in to my mobile, it fucks up the market and inventory on the main machine 6 times out of 10, so it's not ideal, but yes, it's possible. Quite a few people leave their computers on day and night, and their Steam account logged in 24/7 too.

Dambrosi

Banned
Well, if I'm logged in to my mobile, it fucks up the market and inventory on the main machine 6 times out of 10, so it's not ideal, but yes, it's possible. Quite a few people leave their computers on day and night, and their Steam account logged in 24/7 too.
*nods head in approval*

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I debated whether or not to post this, but since I can't reply on Google to the poster (and they obviously read NeoGAF) I thought it best to respond here:

Yorwak Kaheen said:
i strongly advise against using this, as it messes with Steams store page and could be rather dangerous. It is also highly unstable, buggy and uses very unreliable sites like SteamPrices to collect certain data. Pleasy disregard high ratings as they are most likely a result of author being something of a NeoGAF and Reddit "celebrity".

I'm sorry that you have problems with Enhanced Steam. If you would like to explain the issues you're having, can you please submit an issue on Github? This will help us make the application better for everyone. And speaking of Github, the source code for the extension is available there. The code has been independently reviewed on several occasions, and isn't "dangerous" as you suggest. Enhanced Steam doesn't even execute on pages that collect your account details (such as login pages, checkout, etc) which further minimizes a user's risk. Enhanced Steam has also been available for over a year and, to my knowledge, nobody has had their account compromised as the result of using Enhanced Steam.

Furthermore, Enhanced Steam does not "collect certain data" from any site. To imply that Enhanced Steam "collects" data implies that we are maintaining some sort of database of it's users, which isn't true. Some data that Enhanced Steam displays is pulled (not collected) from third party sites and forwarded to the user. ALL of these additional details (widescreen certifications, price history information, PCGamingWiki Links, etc) can be disabled completely in the extension options if you don't want it displayed. And for the record, we don't even use data from SteamPrices.

Finally, I would like to believe that the high ratings that Enhanced Steam has received on Google are the result of the extension actually being useful to people. You claim that the high reviews are due to my "celebrity" on Neogaf and Reddit, but you're putting the cart before the horse. My "celebrity" is actually due to Enhanced Steam being popular, and probably also the fact that I'm always willing to help people work out issues they're having with the extension. I feel like to imply that it's for any other reason is an insult to the hard work and dedication I put into continuously improving Enhanced Steam.

I know that you're probably a lurker here, since your above review was only posted shortly after I mentioned and posted a link to the reviews earlier today. So if you would like to discuss this further, or any other matter regarding Enhanced Steam, I'm always available to be contacted at contact@enhancedsteam.com

Really important question -- how do I recover a save from the steam cloud?

I just deleted the wrong save file in my MGR profile... I need to get the one off the cloud before steam syncs... help?

Damn, best I could come up with was disabling auto-sync, deleting the game, redownloading the game, and re-enabling auto-sync.
Hopefully this works. :\

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone else still waiting for their Freedom Fall key? Desura has still not yet seen fit to give me one.

Same here. Tried the website, Indie Royale's website, and the Desura client to no avail.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Well put, I hope it reaches the intended recipient. As a reviewer of Enhanced Steam I'd like to second the sentiment that if it didn't perform well, or if it wasn't useful, it wouldn't be getting the praise and support that GAF (and elsewhere) is giving it. jshackles puts a hell of a lot of time and effort into improving it, and it shows. He's obviously put his thoughts on the matter forward and I can't really add to that other than to say it's not the nature of GAF to heap praise on something just because it's made by one of our own. At the very least it gets us to give it a chance, but this has been talked up far and wide, and it's definitely stood up to scrutiny. It's a valuable tool and well worth checking out.

Tizoc

sOME Help with Bastion please?
I instaled, got it updated, but when I run it for the first time everything lags or slows down, I can barely move the mouse smoothly and I have to click multiple times for a menu option to be selected, what gives? DirectX and my graphics card are updated to their latest versions.

EDIT: Hmm seems the issue is that it runs very slow if I'm in Full screen, but switching to Windowed mode makes it run fine, weird.

EDIT2: Nah that doesn't fix it either what gives, only thing I got running is a game I'm dling from Dotemu and hardly anything that would be using up RAM...

Nabs

I instaled, got it updated, but when I run it for the first time everything lags or slows down, I can barely move the mouse smoothly and I have to click multiple times for a menu option to be selected, what gives? DirectX and my graphics card are updated to their latest versions.

EDIT: Hmm seems the issue is that it runs very slow if I'm in Full screen, but switching to Windowed mode makes it run fine, weird.

I guess you could run the game windowed/fullscreen:

Right click the game > Properties > Set Launch Options and add -windowed -noborder

Turfster

Try adding -nofixedstep to the launch options

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dead Island doesnt work on my laptop. Should I take it as a sign to ignore the game?
W8.1
Blackscreen with audio only.

Turfster

Trying to trade for Blur is just frustrating. Sellers say one price, then up it the minute you try to talk to them about it.
Classic bait and switch.

Dead Island doesnt work on my laptop. Should I take it as a sign to ignore the game?
W8.1
Blackscreen with audio only.

I'd say take it as a sign.
What's your laptop have, video wise?
Integrated Intel stuff? Actual graphics chip?
Try running it with -safemode

Trying to trade for Blur is just frustrating. Sellers say one price, then up it the minute you try to talk to them about it.

I asked a guy for his copy of Blur (he has 2 copies) and he is selling them for csgo 25 keys, more or less $62 USD.... that's a lot of money for an old game! Fuck Valve, re-release Blur on Steam god damn'!!!

jshackles

Sunday night madness! Enjoy!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Aquanox 2 -- MB-B5D1FE6FA242BB93 - Taken by Tellaerin. 8 entrants total.
The Showdown Effect -- MB-F2C57AB44981E813 - Taken by iosefe. 8 entrants total.
Trine -- MB-E380CFACC32BA83B - Taken by bronson. 6 entrants total.
Blood of the Werewolf -- MB-4E2658FE90F8FA27 - Taken by Reg. 27 entrants total.
Uplink -- MB-2432C5C64A4FB401 - Taken by VikasNarula. 3 entrants total.
Doc Clock Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-5176D61A8362B61F - Taken by Tesseract. 2 entrants total.
Burn Zombie Burn -- MB-FAF4D03904D25E5F - Taken by Sarcasm. 10 entrants total.
Trainz Simulator 12 -- MB-132EFD954214675B - Taken by Coldsun. 13 entrants total.
Aztaka -- MB-5BE2C1EEAE8C90E5 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt. 9 entrants total.
Steller Impact -- MB-B7EB85F0FD25F4F3 - Taken by Volimar. 6 entrants total.
Brutal Legend -- MB-266C076D0E52E0A2 - Taken by schuey7. 3 entrants total.
The Maw -- MB-D513B716B6C4C345 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 11 entrants total.
Swords & Soldiers HD -- MB-4196D9AC2656A620 - Taken by Camel Master. 5 entrants total.
Aquanox -- MB-D6A187E81A150109 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 7 entrants total.
Coniclysm -- MB-5F9EA7AC9C48C168 - Taken by nexen. 8 entrants total.
Vegas Make it Big -- MB-9A74709FD59932C6 - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 9 entrants total.
Bridge It (plus) -- MB-FBCADA5AB63BB365 - Taken by bobnowhere. 18 entrants total.
Tower Wars -- MB-4CBA7917E7AB7DBB - Taken by jmizzal. 12 entrants total.
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-C9C39B252B61DC58 - Taken by tylergregg. 12 entrants total.
Vessel -- MB-CF020661E7C88F42 - Taken by ohblahitsme. 7 entrants total.

t1389580760z1.png

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Really important question -- how do I recover a save from the steam cloud?

I just deleted the wrong save file in my MGR profile... I need to get the one off the cloud before steam syncs... help?

Damn, best I could come up with was disabling auto-sync, deleting the game, redownloading the game, and re-enabling auto-sync.
Hopefully this works. :\

Did it work?

Normally if you have a game synced (and sync is supported by that game) if you delete a synced file it will automatically download it from the cloud. Unless you recreate that file, or delete while you are in game.

Random Steam overlay question: I've been running The Last Remnant in XP compatibility mode lately, as it seems to eliminate the occasional crashes I got before. Unfortunately, there's a weird side effect: it no longer saves any screenshots. I can Shift-F12 just fine (though I have to press it twice the first time, seems like Steam overlay needs to wake up) and when I open the screenshot section in the overlay, I see my screenshots just fine. But when I exit the game, I don't get the usual dialog to share shots online. If I check the usual location where screenshots are saved, I just see the two I took before I switched to compatibility mode. The other screenshots seem to be permanently lost.

Anyone else ever run into this? Any ideas on how I can get screenshots working? Or will I have to choose between occasional crashes and screenshots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom