• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
My desire for a Steam version of Tintin is a deep emotional investment. :p

is there a reason you like collecting things in steam and not in uplay or whatever?

I mean besides the obvious

We're already deep into off-topic here, but I use Mnemosyne. I have a master phrase I use, and then I enter the name of the site or app to generate a password. I keep a piece of paper with my login for each site and the name of the site as I entered it (like, whether I used "paypal" or "PayPal") and have them separated by how many digits and whether I use ASCII or just alphanumeric (some sites won't allow special characters). Then I just copy and paste.
what are you like a 4chan hacker or something

all my passwords are bowie song names + numbers. it's just annoying because some repos ask me to have capitalized stuff or no numbers at beginning or end or whatever and it just becomes difficult to remember it all.

I'll give that a try. I stopped playing at the last boss a couple years ago, just couldn't finish it off.

I'm terrible at everything, but I was really proud of myself for pushing through and beating the final boss in Jamestown, even though it took me like thirty thousand tries. If I can do it, you can do it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
is there a reason you like collecting things in steam and not in uplay or whatever?

I mean besides the obvious

No, it's simply that most of my games are on Steam and so I'd prefer to continue building on that, but of course having every game on Steam isn't a realistic expectation and so I'm not completely averse to using other services if need be.

Tizoc

No, it's simply that most of my games are on Steam and so I'd prefer to continue building on that, but of course having every game on Steam isn't a realistic expectation and so I'm not completely averse to using other services if need be.

Technically you can add non-Steam games to your Steam game list, like what I did with To the moon from gog.

JaseC

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the jasec condition

If a game is on Steam: buy
If a game is not on Steam but there's a distinct possibility of this changing (e.g. System Shock 2): wait
If a game is not on Steam and there's but only a distant hope of this changing (e.g. The Saboteur): go elsewhere

Option #3 I avoided when it came to Anno 1404, which has proven to be oddly prophetic, but I do have Tintin on Uplay.

Technically you can add non-Steam games to your Steam game list, like what I did with To the moon from gog.

Yeah, but deep down I know the library entry is a lie.

mrgone

Or if you're not comfortable using a service like that, throw 'em all into a text file and stash a copy on something you're not liable to lose (a thumbdrive, a PSP, whatever).

KeePass is what I use for local password storage. Solid encryption on the database files, lots of features, a portable version so it's easy to toss onto a thumb drive with your passwords database, etc. Slick piece of software, it is.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
I hope all of you fine Gaffers have had a great weekend. I took some time to try to deal with some old unredeemed bundles/keys and have come back to you with a bounty of giveaways.

Please note: I have tried to take care to not give away any previously used keys. However, I do know that a few have likely made their way into this selection and for that I apologize. I wish Steam would allow you to see the key code used to activate on your account, but alas, I must disappoint a few of you instead.

To mitigate this as much as possible, if I believe that a key is suspect and I have an extra copy I will include both keys in the same entry. It is entirely possible both keys could work, but I would rather the recipient have two working keys than to receive only one and it be a dud.​

If I have additional content for an entry (i.e. DLC) the additional keys will be included in that entry. This will be noted in the entry.

I encourage everyone to enter for as many as you like.

Some of these keys are direct keys. Some are Humble gift links. A few are IndieGameStand gift links to claim a Steam key. If you have any questions about any key you receive, feel free to contact me about them.

So, on with the show and GOOD LUCK GAFFERS:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 26 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jame Retief, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Spectromancer -- MB-CE26DF3305B0DF83 - Taken by Milamber. 16 entrants total.
Jamestown -- MB-D4A0BB1B4A60BC10 - Taken by AbundantChoice. 9 entrants total.
Anomaly Warzone Earth -- MB-C0A44497B463ACD9 - Taken by bronson. 4 entrants total.
XIII Century Gold Edition -- MB-2F50F8E917814D5A - Taken by Relax.MX. 8 entrants total.
Hydrophobia: Prophecy -- MB-66651B8223098D36 - Taken by AScotAbroad. 6 entrants total.
Papo & Yo & Soundtrack -- MB-5A37232126C4191D - Taken by nightstorm. 2 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality w/Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-6B353EFB5C536405 - Taken by Natty1. 3 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality w/Hardcore Package 1 & Inception 1,2 & 3 -- MB-3CB5DFF0A93773BB - Taken by PriitV. 3 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising -- MB-B3290DE6627A684E - Taken by bkw. 8 entrants total.
Reign:Conflict of Nations -- MB-3D66EA9C2F6C63FE - Taken by Coldsun. 5 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint: Red River -- MB-6F60150EC0B174B4 - Taken by Reg. 7 entrants total.
Majesty 2 Collection -- MB-C91946FEFECFBA17 - Taken by Firehead. 9 entrants total.
The Maw -- MB-CA42295FD4078EBE - Taken by denx. 9 entrants total.
Death to Spies GOLD -- MB-E341DA28C8BC816A - Taken by Ingueferroque. 10 entrants total.
Majesty Gold HD -- MB-84DBCC871C85E5D9 - Taken by Dambrosi. 4 entrants total.
Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-A9703F25A26C0306 - Taken by jmizzal. 4 entrants total.
Machinarium -- MB-3B5C3160E5C69808 - Taken by Curious_George. 5 entrants total.
Data Jammers: FastForward -- MB-E7A359164F4C5173 - Taken by PedroPanache. 8 entrants total.
SpaceChem & 63 Corvi DLC -- MB-A0A47996182A87CA - Taken by Sendou. 5 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-1ED9B45902F08B16 - Taken by Man Puncher. 3 entrants total.
The 39 Steps -- MB-34FAA457A52DD47C - Taken by DJ Crimson. 3 entrants total.
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-E0E11493E13372A8 - Taken by NotSelf. 8 entrants total.
Shelter -- MB-237A50388FAB4A6A - Taken by BorntoPlay. 10 entrants total.
The Whispered World -- MB-897B9782CC1D7F58 - Taken by Sarcasm. 5 entrants total.
Really Big Sky -- MB-057FF032BADFE1FF - Taken by Saty. 11 entrants total.
Hoard Complete Pack -- MB-1495028ACE17D85E - Taken by The Dear Leader. 5 entrants total.

t1389606365z1.png

EDIT: To whomever wins Death to Spies GOLD, Modbot did not correctly accept two keys in the entry as intended. If the key you receive does not work, PM me for a different key for the game. One of the two should work.

Xanathus

I use a pass-phrase that is a combination of (not in this specific arrangement):
  • the ID I'm using on the site because I may have multiple IDs
  • the name of the site/service
  • a password that only I know
  • a number that can be incremented if I have to change the passphrase
I also capitalize specific letters. The advantage of this method is that I do not require a service/app to keep my passwords and I can remember it easily, the passphrase I use is different for every site/service, and it is cryptographically secure.

zkylon

zkylewd
If a game is on Steam: buy
If a game is not on Steam but there's a distinct possibility of this changing (e.g. System Shock 2): wait
If a game is not on Steam and there's but only a distant hope of this changing (e.g. The Saboteur): go elsewhere

Option #3 I avoided when it came to Anno 1404, which has proven to be oddly prophetic, but I do have Tintin on Uplay.

I have the saboteur boxed since it was cheap at one store for some reason

it's pretty good

really cool box art too

I use a pass-phrase that is a combination of (not in this specific arrangement):
  • the ID I'm using on the site because I may have multiple IDs
  • the name of the site/service
  • a password that only I know
  • a number that can be incremented if I have to change the passphrase
I also capitalize specific letters. The advantage of this method is that I do not require a service/app to keep my passwords and I can remember it easily, the passphrase I use is different for every site/service, and it is cryptographically secure.

holy shit you people are nuts

I love it

I am slowly but surely making my way through Shadow Warrior.

Didn't like it at first, it seemed slippery, graphics were meh a bit (I couldn't decide if their look was a "thing" or just lower res'd).

I'm through Chapter 9, there's a fair bit of content throughout the game, it seems a lot longer than it's FPS brethren. Not surprising since it's based on an older style FPS, it feels exactly like an older FPS. Over the top, ridiculous, maybe a bit long winded...

But, at least it gives you things to do and unlock along the way by upgrading, learning new ways to dispatch your foes and making yourself more powerful.

Think I got it for $8 which would make it the most expensive game I picked up during the last Steam sale. At that rate, I think it's worth the wait a bit more, if you have it backlogged, give yourself the 12 hours or so to slide and dice some demons.
Having played the original Shadow Warrior earlier on in 2013 I was thankful it ended up having little in common with that. Personally I didn't come out of SW13 thinking it felt like an older FPS much at all, but it did play like a better, more polished FPS of the Hard Reset mold because of the character upgrades, plentiful amount of explosive environmental props, and level structure. I was even surprised at how long it ended up being by the end, kind of to the game's detriment because it starts running out of combinations of enemies to make encounters with, so some of the later fights suffer for it.

The guns have a kind of trademark Flying Wild Hog feel to them, which is to say things felt a bit weightless with the enemy reactions, the fact that you can heal a significant amount of your health whenever you want (even during combat) is questionable, the boss fights are downright bad, but overall I'd say the combat and experience as a whole was really fun. The swordplay is entertaining, the enemies are varied, the environments are varied too, weapons have some nice upgrades (hello remote explosive bolt launching crossbow), the banter between Hoshi and Wang is enjoyable, it's just a fun time despite some blemishes. I see myself replaying it on Insane sometime in the future.

Anteater

Are action games on steam a niche genre? I don't see a lot of talk for Valdis Story, I wonder how much that game sold?

I wish PG would kickstart a sidescroller, or an experimental action game, I think with their expertise it probably wouldn't cost them much to make considering how short it took them to make Metal Gear Rising.

I want a god hand spiritual successor.

zkylon

zkylewd
Are action games on steam a niche genre? I don't see a lot of talk for Valdis Story, I wonder how much that game sold?

I wish PG would kickstart a sidescroller, or an experimental action game, I think with their expertise it probably wouldn't cost them much to make considering how short it took them to make Metal Gear Rising.

I want a god hand spiritual successor.

this is actually a pretty good idea

JaseC

I've e-mailed Bethesda regarding the possibility of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Wolf09 being redistributed via Steam. Let us join hands in prayer. (Hopefully I didn't accidentally send it three times -- the contact form on Bethesda's website didn't appear to be working so I just sent it to info@bethsoft.com.)

Milamber

You should use a password manager, then all you need to remember is your master password. I'm partial to LastPass myself.
KeePass is what I use for local password storage. Solid encryption on the database files, lots of features, a portable version so it's easy to toss onto a thumb drive with your passwords database, etc. Slick piece of software, it is.

But isn't that still a password to remember?

zkylon

zkylewd
I've played 23 hours of cook serve delicious, holy shit

and with that experience I can say:
fuck upgraded lasagna
fuck double upgraded fish
fuck all the food that use "v" for olives
fuck wine
fuck chicken

long live the mighty burger

I've e-mailed Bethesda regarding the possibility of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Wolf09 being redistributed via Steam. Let us join hands in prayer. (Hopefully I didn't accidentally send it three times -- the contact form on Bethesda's website didn't appear to be working so I just sent it to info@bethsoft.com.)
I'll join in on that spirit bomb. I wanna give Wolf09 a shot because of a thread singing its praises last year but I'm not spending more than $10 for it.

Sendou

fuck upgraded lasagna
fuck wine

I find lasagna and fish some of the easiest advanced foods in the game :p Wine can get annoying if nobody orders anything else but isn't too annoying otherwise. What I find annoying though is when there's a different hotkey for the same ingredient. Like how tomato is "T" in some food and "O" in another.

Anteater

this is actually a pretty good idea

I want a spiritual successor to viewtiful joe D: I'm sure they could come up with some new mechanics to go with it, which they could use in their future games.

No idea about sales, but I think games like Valdis, Dust or Guacamelee are not niche at all and actually get discussed pretty frequently.

I see them being mentioned a lot, but it gave me the vibe that it's not a popular genre when indie is discussed, but there probably aren't a huge selection of them out there :eek:

JaseC

I'll join in on that spirit bomb. I wanna give Wolf09 a shot because of a thread singing its praises last year but I'm not spending more than $10 for it.

There's a pall of uncertainty surrounding Wolf09 in particular due it being developed by an Acti studio, which means two different publishers have to agree on a revenue split, however there is a positive precedent with Quake 4 (I mentioned as much in my e-mail also). At the very end I did ask if it would be possible for existing owners of retail copies to be given Steam keys if they can provide proof of purchase -- since no money is changing hands, surely Bethesda is within its right to oblige.

Jusoni

fuck upgraded lasagna
fuck wine
fuck chicken

Whaat? Fish is the easiest high paying food, just a quick slap at arrow keys and S or SL. Soup, pasta and lasange are sorta hard. Shish kabob being the queen bitch, seriously who uses that in their menu. Waaay too low price for the brainwork involved in it.

zkylon

zkylewd
I want a spiritual successor to viewtiful joe D: I'm sure they could come up with some new mechanics to go with it, which they could use in their future games.

I still gotta get to play viewtiful joe and god hand. god hand specially is on my ps2 overdue games shortlist.

but yea crowdfounded small scope pc games from platinum sounds amazing

I find lasagna and fish some of the easiest advanced foods in the game :p Wine can get annoying if nobody orders anything else but isn't too annoying otherwise. What I find annoying though is when there's a different hotkey for the same ingredient. Like how tomato is "T" in some food and "O" in another.
adding lemon just made fish annoying and lasagna isn't fun if you gotta stop in between to add the meat or the vegetables. it just breaks mah flow

wine is just hammering the key and I feel I'm gonna break my keyboard

Whaat? Fish is the easiest high paying food, just a quick slap at arrow keys and S or SL. Soup, pasta and lasange are sorta hard. Shish kabob being the queen bitch, seriously who uses that in their menu. Waaay too low price for the brainwork involved in it.
it's the general problem of the game, upgrading shit just makes food more annoying to make. the lemon on the fish just turns it from a quick slap into a slap+break to get the key right.

I don't mind soup and pasta so much for some reason. lvl 1 lasagna was alright.

haven't tried many specialties, but I'm liking the lobster

oipic

But isn't that still a password to remember?

Yeah, I realised some time back (when migrating from Chrome to Opera Next - long story) that I'm almost wholly and hopelessly dependent on KeePass, and if I were ever to lose/forget that password for whatever reason, it'd be messy.

Still yet to find a better solution, although Xanathus may be onto something with that system...

Caerith

what are you like a 4chan hacker or something

all my passwords are bowie song names + numbers. it's just annoying because some repos ask me to have capitalized stuff or no numbers at beginning or end or whatever and it just becomes difficult to remember it all.
I used to work at a company that, in order to be extra secure, required all passwords to be exactly 8 characters, with the first character being an uppercase letter, the next five being lowercase letters, and the last two being numbers (but not the same number). There were a few other restrictions in place, and if it didn't require passwords to be changed every 30 days (and you could never use the same one twice), I'd think it was something Professor Layton wanted me to solve.

I'm terrible at everything, but I was really proud of myself for pushing through and beating the final boss in Jamestown, even though it took me like thirty thousand tries. If I can do it, you can do it!
I only tried twenty-nine thousand times. I'm also pretty terrible at everything, but I really did appreciate Jamestown forcing me to get better by making each level require beating the previous level at progressively harder difficulty levels.

fuck upgraded lasagna
fuck wine
fuck chicken

Fish is awesome. Chicken never changes its recipe. Wine is only bad when...

Yeah. Having it as the featured item can be a bit annoying, but $60 per bottle makes up for it.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh man you're in for a treat!
it's kinda far back tho

list was:
persona 3 & 4
drakengard 1/2
shadow hearts 1/2
xenosaga 1, 2 & 3
god hand
megaten nocturne

of those I've beaten persona 3, nocturne and drakengard 1 (didn't feel like playing 2 after hearing not so great things about it). I tried a bit of shadow hearts but didn't like it so much, and I gotta get persona 4 before 5 releases. I wonder how well god hand works on emulator

I used to work at a company that, in order to be extra secure, required all passwords to be exactly 8 characters, with the first character being an uppercase letter, the next five being lowercase letters, and the last two being numbers (but not the same number). There were a few other restrictions in place, and if it didn't require passwords to be changed every 30 days (and you could never use the same one twice), I'd think it was something Professor Layton wanted me to solve.
yea I had the 30 day thing myself once, so fucking annoying

Fish is awesome. Chicken never changes its recipe. Wine is only bad when...
[/QUOTE]
fish was awesome, now it's just good. fuck lemons lol

I hate chicken because I suck at counting, I'll mess it up unless I do it really slow. same with steak.

wine is just the worst, at least lvl 1 just tires my hand from so much mashing

Anteater

it's kinda far back tho

list was:
persona 3 & 4
drakengard 1/2
shadow hearts 1/2
xenosaga 1, 2 & 3
god hand
megaten nocturne

of those I've beaten persona 3, nocturne and drakengard 1 (didn't feel like playing 2 after hearing not so great things about it). I tried a bit of shadow hearts but didn't like it so much, and I gotta get persona 4 before 5 releases. I wonder how well god hand works on emulator

damn some of those are long games, especially p4 :eek:

I still need to play drakengard 1

Someday I will go on vacation for a month and play the Xenosaga games.

It had its flaws, and the second game was a big disappointment, but it was a great series. Part III is up there with Final Fantasy X, X-2, Shadow Hearts 2, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria as my favourite RPG's of the PS2 era. Everybody needs to play VP2; fantastic battle system. I need to turn those discs into iso files and play them on the PC.

zkylon

zkylewd
damn some of those are long games, especially p4 :eek:

I still need to play drakengard 1
lol yea, they're all pretty big games

drakengard is pretty cool if you can endure it, it's one of the craziest games I've played. can't believe that game actually got published.

It had its flaws, and the second game was a big disappointment, but it was a great series. Part III is up there with Final Fantasy X, X-2, Shadow Hearts 2, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria as my favourite RPG's of the PS2 era. Everybody needs to play VP2; fantastic battle system. I need to turn those discs into iso files and play them on the PC.
actually the only xenosaga game I've played so far is 2 and I kinda really liked it back in the day, but I'm not sure if I would right now. still out of respect for xenogears I feel like I should give the series a chance

and yea vp2 combat is great, but I didn't care at all for how shitty they made lezard look. like he was so fucking awesome in vp1, it really depressed me to see him take a back seat in vp2. having a full valkyrie team+brahms was amazing doe

but in general it felt like a downgrade for me after vp1, which kind of mirrors my feelings for ps2 rpgs in comparison with ps1 rpgs :p

with the exception of persona 3. persona 3 is the best shit ever

Caerith

Quick question on CSD: what's the most you've ever had to pay for a ClickNStart? I've seen 1.5k, 2k, and 3k, and am starting to think I'll need to set more money aside for these.

with the exception of persona 3. persona 3 is the best shit ever
Ever equip Mara and enter the Velvet Room?

bloke

Someday I will go on vacation for a month and play the Xenosaga games.

Heh that's what I tried during my xmas holidays; ie replaying Xenosaga, but gave up in the middle of first game, just couldn't force myself going through turn-based combat again.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Broken Age hits Steam tomorrow, for backers that is.
Haven't been this hyped in a really long time. Just...one...more...day...! :D

feel

Just finished "To the Moon"

my take

GG9xnQX.jpg

damn good story.
Vaultboy's doing the "thumb in front of atomic bomb mushroom cloud" test to determine if he's inside the radiation zone, not giving the thumbs up of approval. You cannot unlearn this, Fallout as you knew it is now gone forever. Good night.

I hate the Steam Cloud at the moment.

My MGR save is gone.
Fuck.

Now I'm a few hours back (which can be a lot in this game) and missing who knows how many upgrades and unlocks. >_<

How in the hell did it pull down my save file which never got the chance to update? I deleted all local content -- I'm assuming it didn't take the saves with it, just the game install... and then when I turned on auto-update again, it probably overwrote it.
In this case, Steam Cloud is not anywhere close to PS+ Cloud... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom