• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol yea, they're all pretty big games

drakengard is pretty cool if you can endure it, it's one of the craziest games I've played. can't believe that game actually got published.

actually the only xenosaga game I've played so far is 2 and I kinda really liked it back in the day, but I'm not sure if I would right now. still out of respect for xenogears I feel like I should give the series a chance

and yea vp2 combat is great, but I didn't care at all for how shitty they made lezard look. like he was so fucking awesome in vp1, it really depressed me to see him take a back seat in vp2. having a full valkyrie team+brahms was amazing doe

but in general it felt like a downgrade for me after vp1, which kind of mirrors my feelings for ps2 rpgs in comparison with ps1 rpgs
:p

with the exception of persona 3. persona 3 is the best shit ever

Most definitely this; Star Ocean, Suikoden, Final Fantasy, Valkyrie Profile etc. were never quite the same on the PS2. I still loved the genre, but those PS1 JRPG's were something special. As for Valkyrie Profile, I loved the battle system in Silmeria, preferring it to the first game. However, VP2 didn't really come that close to matching the atmosphere, soundtrack and visuals and story in VP1.

You'll probably have a similar experience with Xenosaga. It won't live up to the ambition and scale of Xenogears, but they're pretty good games. XSIII holds up incredibly well and is the true gem of the series. It's such a shame it took them three games to get it right. By that time, the series was dead in the water.

Vaultboy's doing the "thumb in front of atomic bomb mushroom cloud" test to determine if he's inside the radiation zone, not giving the thumbs up of approval. You cannot unlearn this, Fallout as you knew it is now gone forever. Good night.

Mind blowing game fact! That's actually improved Fallout for me :)

nicjac

How is Torchlight II? I finished Torchlight I and Diablo III and thought I was done with this type of game. But as it is currently 75% off, I wonder if I should just go for it?

milena87

How is Torchlight II? I finished Torchlight I and Diablo III and thought it was I was kind of done with this type of game. But as it is currently 75% off, I wonder if I should just go for it?

I liked it. The story is not very long (nor interesting), but as you have the chance to replay in ng+ or just play different randomly-generated maps, you might end up spending a lot of time with the game.

My favourite character was the Embermage and I finished the game twice (second time at Elite difficulty). It's a nice class, but it's nearly impossible to finish the game at Elite difficulty in ng+: I'll be forever stuck at that damn level where you have the follow the light.

If not for that particular level, I'd probably have a 100 level character right now and I would have played much longer (so far, I'm sitting at 75+ hours).

Overall, I suggest it for that price, especially if you like the genre.

Ok, another question.

JaseC linked Trashbot, who I added, and proceeded to gift all the coupons I don't want.

However, Trashbot refuses to accept the trade I made... what's up with this?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Vaultboy's doing the "thumb in front of atomic bomb mushroom cloud" test to determine if he's inside the radiation zone, not giving the thumbs up of approval. You cannot unlearn this, Fallout as you knew it is now gone forever. Good night.

Seems like bullshit to me. Thumb size is highly variable. (as a percentage, at least) Even worse, the distance between your thumb and eye changes the result massively. "Just hold your thumb at arms length", you say. Our arms aren't the same length, though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Broken Age hits Steam tomorrow, for backers that is.
Haven't been this hyped in a really long time. Just...one...more...day...! :D

I'm also super, super excited. Backed day one, can't wait to finally get to play some of this! I was playing a little of Monkey Island 2 last night and it struck me how, as much as I love these games and the impact they had on me over the years, I wish I could forget all the puzzles so I could go through them again blind. This is a chance to have a spiritual successor to those games and go through fresh, I can't wait.

Hasney

Seems like bullshit to me. Thumb size is highly variable. (as a percentage, at least) Even worse, the distance between your thumb and eye changes the result massively. "Just hold your thumb at arms length", you say. Our arms aren't the same length, though.

Then add 3 "cups" of flour.

Anteater

I'm starting to worry for my controller playing mg rising, some of these fights are making me flicking the stick harder and harder.

feel

People with freak short arms or gigantic thumbs could use some radiation.

Caerith

Next you're going to say "duck and cover" isn't a sound lifesaving technique.

Tellaerin

You're way too late on that one. Fallout as I knew it was gone forever the moment I discovered mods. >.>

People with freak short arms or gigantic thumbs could use some radiation.

People with freak short arms or gigantic thumbs have clearly had too much radiation already. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Stealth is entirely worth using.
It just depends on your game plan and difficulty, I think.
The idea is that you should fight during battles that are graded and stealth everything else... especially on hard/revengeance difficulty.
How can you tell which battles are graded? I only find out once they are over and the score appears.

I'm on the 3rd mission now (or Case #2), and the game is great. Now I'm enjoying it a lot, even thought I'm still pretty bad at it.

Acccent

Hello hello :) I'm back (for realsies this time, I mean I've had access to a PC since a week ago but it was a terrible one and now I'm back home and at work so I'll be able to be online more often :D yes I visit gaf more when I'm working than during holidays)

anyway: smh at BSI and Rogue Legacy being at the top of the SteamGAF 2013 goty list
iQsIWj841dj1a.png

I haven't had the chance to do it and I feel bad about it so, here's the things I bought during the sales:
Brothers: ATo2S
Papers, Please x11

yeah that's it I'm pretty impressed with myself.

What are you all playing right now?

Knurek

Boy, BioShock is still pretty.
I take it the gameplay will not improve. but will the story pick up? Currently finished with Medical Pavilon and I can't say I'm having a great time (good, yes, great, no).

Saty

Best selling games on Steam last week:

1. DayZ
2. Rust
3. Starbound
4. METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
5. 7 Days to Die
6. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
7. Torchlight II
8. Garry's Mod
9. GODUS
10.Kingdom Rush

Anteater

1. DayZ
2. Rust
3. Starbound
5. 7 Days to Die
7. Torchlight II
8. Garry's Mod
9. GODUS
10.Kingdom Rush

Making it all caps must've helped for metal gear rising

Volotaire

1. DayZ
2. Rust
3. Starbound
5. 7 Days to Die
7. Torchlight II
8. Garry's Mod
9. GODUS
10.Kingdom Rush

Looks like there's still DayZ and Rust fever going around.

How did everybody get along with Dragonborn? Currently setting up Skyrim, tediously relearning how to mod it again (Gopher is a king amongst men) and setting it up exactly how I want it. My last playthrough stopped short of jumping into Dragonborn, after completely fatiguing on the game, I just abandoned my playthrough. I'd finished the main quest, which was disappointing and lost interest. I've got that urge again to play it; might be something to do with the gorgeous screenshots in the 2014 thread. Just wanted to know how Dragonborn measured up. Interested to get opinions on it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Boss! Remember to buy offensive defense! Its the dodge move in the game and its pretty integral.

I enjoy the lack of hand holding, bit that particular mechanic should have been in a tutorial and unlocked from the start.
The video you posted here was extremely helpful. All of that should have been part of the tutorial, I think.

That's like "arrow to the knee"-being an ancient nordic proverb: not true. If you can see the mushroom cloud, you're already too close.

Running will serve you better than sticking up your thumb.

Anteater

I finally learned how to Parry in MGR. Fuck you Blade Wolf

I still have trouble parrying that dog.

I think I have like a 50% success rate with things I know how to parry lol, especially with the camera auto adjusting and multiple mobs, it's kind of tough, unless I could single out an enemy into an area where it can't move much, then I could do just fine.

Knurek

That's like "arrow to the knee"-being an ancient nordic proverb: not true. If you can see the mushroom cloud, you're already too close.

Running will serve you better than sticking up your thumb.

If you can see the mushroom cloud, running won't help you as well.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to worry for my controller playing mg rising, some of these fights are making me flicking the stick harder and harder.
lol, I was thinking the same. Now we can share the pain of those who lost their N64 controllers playing Mario Party last century.

Jawmuncher

Messed around with Ys I for 2 minutes bumped into a enemy a few times and dided.
Yeah if I'm going to play that I need to take it seriously. Didn't even realize I was getting hurt.

derFeef

Boy, BioShock is still pretty.
I take it the gameplay will not improve. but will the story pick up? Currently finished with Medical Pavilon and I can't say I'm having a great time (good, yes, great, no).

You are on a 10 hour car drive and need to pee, but you only can pee at your own house. You come home after 10 hours, run to the toilet and pee for like 2 minutes with great relief and the largest grin on your face.

It's kinda the same with Bioshock Infinite's story.

Li Kao

Dear diary,

Please tell SteamGaf I'm sorry, for I have sinned. I have played games. But nothing too spectacular.

DayZ
Mmh, maybe a big mistake on my part. I have social anxiety and the idea of speaking over a mic to some stranger is not my idea of fun. And the few times I encountered someone were clear about one thing : I am understood... but I don't understand a lot myself. Accents are the ban of my digital existence. Listening to someone from east Europe trying to speak English was strange. I'm not saying I'm superior, maybe I was pathetic, but yeah, communication is hard in the Russian zombie wasteland.
Problem being... I'm not sold on the game itself. Let's forget accents, shyness etc... I played for some hours, it was nice, but I don't know, it lacks something to make me return to it. The land was almost barren of zombies, and the main occupation was looting houses. Not really fascinating over time. Maybe with a crew the game shines a lot more, but I don't know, it lacks something, a goal maybe ? In this states, apart from looting and shitting bricks each time you see another player, I don't see much.

Spacebase DF-9
Nice, the thematic management games like Them Hospital are back ! Cool. But nothing to really see here, it's early access and it feels like early access. Once you manage to tame the UI, build all there is to build (not so much), the only thing you can keep doing is hate the brain dead AI of you crew.
There is indeed potential, but that's future potential.

Lego Marvel
After finishing the game some weeks ago, I am playing it to earn the few achievements I missed. Boring. Boring as all hell. While being a Marvel fan more than a DC one, I keep thinking that Lego Batman 2 levels were way better. Lego Marvel levels are slow, environments are repetitive (FF tower, then Green Goblin tower and oh my, Stark tower...). Still a nice game, but really, nope, didn't have the same pleasure as with Lego Batman 2.

1. DayZ
2. Rust
3. Starbound
5. 7 Days to Die
7. Torchlight II
8. Garry's Mod
9. GODUS
10.Kingdom Rush

See Cacpcom, bringing games like MGR:R and Castlevania on PC means $$$ EASY MONEY $$$

Boss! Remember to buy offensive defense! Its the dodge move in the game and its pretty integral.

I enjoy the lack of hand holding, bit that particular mechanic should have been in a tutorial and unlocked from the start.

Yeah, I have it...just need to use it more. I've relegated it now as my 'oh shit' button. I'm sure I'll get better at it, trying to get Parrying down first.

The Saoirse Gif is back by popular demand (of 1)
http://i.minus.com/iBKZmU6a7MlMT.gif

This is a lot creepier than expected. Good job, I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom