• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadin

It isn't QA work, because the great majority of people are never going to do any sort of bug reporting or offer any feedback. It's a pre-order, and the pre-order bonus is that you get to play the game while it's still in progress. I really don't see anything wrong with Early Access and don't understand the complaints. I don't buy into them often myself, and when I do I tend not to play them much until release anyway, but treating it like it's some blight on the industry or acting like pre-orders are something new, I just don't get that.

edit: That is, aside from people who are just anti-preorders in general. That makes complete sense.

The only issue I have, and it's not really an issue per se, is that there's no guarantee that the game will be completed. Now true, I haven't seen this happen first hand but I don't like the risk. With that said, I bought DayZ. So yeah, even I don't follow my own rules sometimes...

Thanks very much to Tizoc for Lunnye Devitsy.

I seem to have received about half a dozen notifications (and counting) for it though. Is ModBot not feeling too well right now?

Tellaerin

Basically pre-ordering any game is a huge mistake unless you plan on playing it Day1. These bundles are getting a little out of control.

Comments like this bother me a little, tbh.

I can understand someone feeling a little burned because a game they bought went on sale after they bought it. That's not an issue with the bundles or sales, though. You said it yourself - if you're not planning to play something on day 1, you definitely shouldn't preorder it.

I'm strapped for cash most of the time these days, so maybe my perspective is a little different than most, I don't know. But the thought of publishers/developers deliberately "throttling back" on including their good/desirable titles in bundles just to avoid hurting early purchasers' feelings really doesn't sit well with me. : /

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Something about the whole 'Early Access' thing bugs me. Basically making people pay to do QA work. I guess you know what you're getting yourself into?

Have you tried an early access game? The issue isn't that they're buggy and glitchy, it's that they're content-deprived. In general they're pretty polished and ready for sale. I haven't seen anyone buy an Early Access game and feel like they're doing QA.

The model is more like a Minecraft type model. Buy early, watch them iterate.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Indeed they know. Or they should, given that there's a huge banner on the store page.

This is no different than pre-ordering a game in its early stages, with the added benefit that you get to play it as soon as you pay. It's unfinished and probably buggy, but then again nobody's forcing you to buy it in that state. You can always wait for the final version to be released.

Exactly. The alternative to Early Access is not getting a perfect, feature-complete, bug free game: it's getting nothing at all.

Zafir

I just want to say how much of a bummer it is that Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures is no longer available for purchase anywhere. Not only is it a source for my avatar for the past 5 years, but it was a genuinely enjoyable game. It was in the era where Telltale was making excellent adventure games almost exclusively out of my favorite series (Homestar Runner, Wallace & Gromit, Sam & Max).

It's been somewhat disheartening to see the studio change. I've played everything they've made since almost the beginning, and while I definitely am still enjoying the choice based games, it's a real shame to lose the adventure stuff. I felt like they never got enough credit for how good those actually were. I'm definitely happy for their success, and that people are finally starting to take note of them, but it's just a bit melancholy to see the shift in style.

So if you have Wallace & Gromit, please play it sometime. It's a really nice series that has some well designed puzzles, and a lovely story wrapped around it.
You can't buy it any more?

That's a shame, I rather enjoyed it as well. I think I still have the collectors disk from Telltale sealed somewhere as well.

Grief.exe

Have you tried an early access game? The issue isn't that they're buggy and glitchy, it's that they're content-deprived. In general they're pretty polished and ready for sale. I haven't seen anyone buy an Early Access game and feel like they're doing QA.

Some of my friends literally paid $100+ to QA Battlefield 4. That was robbery, I feel like Early Access is a glorified Kicktstarter.
A good way for developers to fund the project while getting relevant feedback from their consumers.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Have you tried an early access game? The issue isn't that they're buggy and glitchy, it's that they're content-deprived.

I bought early access to Prison Architect and it's buggy and glitchy. Not that I don't agree with everything else you saud, and I did know what I was getting in to. But it does happen.

Clawww

man whenever someone mentions Nintendo on Steam in all those meltdown threads, even though it's ridiculous, my heart skips a beat

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Grief, thank you for Gravity Badgers. The height of me winning was not celebrated by one ModBot, but two ModBots that both sent me a message. I revel in this moment, and thank you very much for the kindness of splitting the bundle.

Indeed they know. Or they should, given that there's a huge banner on the store page.

This is no different than pre-ordering a game in its early stages, with the added benefit that you get to play it as soon as you pay. It's unfinished and probably buggy, but then again nobody's forcing you to buy it in that state. You can always wait for the final version to be released.

Just Starbound through the bundle and will probably wait for more content before really getting into it. I get it for smaller studios, but now that it seems AAA studios are getting involved, I just don't like it. I would just prefer to buy a feature complete game. I get that it's a personal preference.

Anyone have numbers on how many games have made it out of Early Access? Last I saw it was only a few.

Comments like this bother me a little, tbh.

I can understand someone feeling a little burned because a game they bought went on sale after they bought it. That's not an issue with the bundles or sales, though. You said it yourself - if you're not planning to play something on day 1, you definitely shouldn't preorder it.

I'm strapped for cash most of the time these days, so maybe my perspective is a little different than most, I don't know. But the thought of publishers/developers deliberately "throttling back" on including their good/desirable titles in bundles just to avoid hurting early purchasers' feelings really doesn't sit well with me. : /

I was mostly being sarcastic about the number of bundles and titles included. Does make me pause a bit when decided to purchase a game now though.

Have some pie
ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut -- MB-1DC6DE242924C950 - Taken by jmizzal. 23 entrants total.

t1389986848z1.png

nexen

How does LEGO The Lord of the Rings rate compared to the other LEGO games? I've played the first LEGO Batman and the Star Wars movies ones.

Really have no motivation to play anything at the moment...have a decent sized steam library but just cant be bothered! Anyone else get this?
Only always. I spend more time scrolling through my game list than actually playing ... :\

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, either I didn't see it or don't remember. Game is buggy as shit, and plain unpolished.

Hah you should have played it on release. It was in much worse shape then. Can't say I've had any problems with it though since it's been patched and supported quite well.

Colin.

I have a funny feeling that nintendo wouldn't need to have their games go through greenlight to get on the store.

It was in jest, as any of their library showing up on Steam something that is very unlikely to ever happen. Only real world chance of that would be if they bombed out of the hardware market all together in the future.

The_Monk

Really have no motivation to play anything at the moment...have a decent sized steam library but just cant be bothered! Anyone else get this?

I would try something different or a different genre just to mix things up a bit. Also, take a break, try to do something different (away from your PC and gaming) and you might feel refreshed after some time without playing something for a while.

I recently installed XCOM and now I'm back at it again, and loving it just like the first time I played (almost one year ago). ;)

How does LEGO The Lord of the Rings rate compared to the other LEGO games? I've played the first LEGO Batman and the Star Wars movies ones.

Only always. I spend more time scrolling through my game list than actually playing ... :\

Plays pretty much the same. They use the voice acting from the movies in the cut scenes. If you liked the others you'll like this one as well.

Grief.exe

I would try something different or a different genre just to mix things up a bit. Also, take a break, try to do something different (away from your PC and gaming) and you might feel refreshed after some time without playing something for a while.

I recently installed XCOM and now I'm back at it again, and loving it just like the first time I played (almost one year ago). ;)

Metal Gear Rising was a great pallet cleanser for me. I don't get to play many character action games, so it ended up being a perfect way to change up my play.

Also got my reactions ready for Valdis Story and Dark Souls II.

Monk, are you getting Dark Souls II on PC?

Yeah, it looks like the license ran out, and they're not interesting in renewing. It's a bummer.

http://www.telltalegames.com/suppor...-gromits-grand-adventures-no-longer-available

DD has a lot of advantages for the consumer and there are a lot of good things about Steam, GOG, etc., but this is one thing about a DD-only marketplace that isn't good for consumers at all -- the availability of product is entirely dependent on rightsholders and licensing agreements being valid at any given moment of time, and once those agreements expire, product disappears from the marketplace entirely and there's no legal way to obtain it. Ironically, this is one way physical copies have an advantage, because secondhand copies can still be found and sold even for expired games. (Obviously not referring to Steamworks/Uplay/Origin titles that have to be non-transferrably-linked to an account.)

AkuMifune

Banned

All the time! Maybe the reasons are different, coming from being a console gamer for so many years my habit was to play one thing until I was done, choose the next thing, build hype, buy and play, then return, rinse and repeat.

With a giant Steam library in front of me from things I've acquired in sales and deals it's hard to build motivation for specific title at random. Though I tend to just go by mood now.

So it's like going from monogamy to having a harem, basically.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just Starbound through the bundle and will probably wait for more content before really getting into it. I get it for smaller studios, but now that it seems AAA studios are getting involved, I just don't like it. I would just prefer to buy a feature complete game. I get that it's a personal preference.

Anyone have numbers on how many games have made it out of Early Access? Last I saw it was only a few.
That's fine, you can wait until the game is released and buy it then. Why does it bother you that other people would rather purchase it early and play a beta (or alpha, or epsilon or whatever) version of it in the meantime?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not steam related, but can't find where to discuss other PC sales - is sniper elite good? I was curious about a 'proper' sniper game.

Its £7.50 on get games for sniper elite V2, or £2.24 for the first game

The_Monk

Metal Gear Rising was a great pallet cleanser for me. I don't get to play many character action games, so it ended up being a perfect way to change up my play.

Also got my reactions ready for Valdis Story and Dark Souls II.

Monk, are you getting Dark Souls II on PC?

I agree, Rising seems to be a good option, glad you have fun with it.

Dark Souls II needs to be played on PC Grief, you know it! And yes I'm getting it, Day One. I already pre-ordered on amazon.uk so I'll just need the official release date and then I need to wait for International shipping, hoping it would not take more than 5 business days to deliver to my place. It's going to be hard waiting all those days but it was the best solution I could find. Can't wait.

Reposting for the new page~
So I've got some Spare Steam keys I've decided to make a giveaway of.
...thing is I'm not sure if they're still active since some are over a year old ^^; Apologies in advance if the code you'd win is invalid.
The code for Kung Fu Strike apparently was already reedemed, thanks anyway!

That's fine, you can wait until the game is released and buy it then. Why does it bother you that other people would rather purchase it early and play a beta (or alpha, or epsilon or whatever) version of it in the meantime?

I don't care what people do with their money, I just don't like the idea of paying full price for a less than complete work product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom