• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game may become obsolete, but that doesn't change the fact that people won't be able to keep playing its multiplayer even if they want to. They will be forced to pay $15 for the upgrade, which I think is a pretty scummy thing on Capcom's part.

I don't see how that's scummy. Capcom will just dropping support for an obsolete product. Nobody is making the argument that Vanilla SF4 will become unplayable online, mainly because its playerbase is dead. Plus if one were compelled to play AE in the future they would still have to option to play offline multiplayer.

Suppose GFWL wasn't shutting down and Ultra was still being released. When Ultra would be released there would be both an AE and Ultra playerbase online with the majority switching over to Ultra just like the transition from Vanilla to Super. Eventually the AE playerbase would dwindle until the majority is playing Ultra.
Edit: Also, anyone that cares about SF4 would be upgrading to Ultra anyway, not just so they could continue to play online.

I understand where you're coming from and in a perfect world all GFWL titles would be moving to Steamworks; in a perfect world GFWL wouldn't exist.

topyy

won a Ravensword raffle after take one o_O
I used the first one.
Make sure you take the time to thank Kirosia

Instructions for Kirosia:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
Kirosia is giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://cdn4.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...er_292x136.jpg
Ravensword -- MB-24AA9AE35E98EA9A - Taken by Gez

Hawkie

I am so upset that I only donated 50 bucks right now.

"However, we want to give our existing backers one last chance to jump into the beta, so AROUND THE END OF THIS MONTH we’re going to offer a limited-time add-on option only through the Ranger Center backer store; for $10 you will be able to add-on beta access to your existing pledge, getting your Steam Early Access key as soon as the add-on is registered by us. Please note this add-on will only provide access to the Wasteland 2 beta, it will not include the digital extras of the earlier add-on or the $60 Steam Early Access version. " - Update #41

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how that's scummy. Capcom will just dropping support for an obsolete product. Nobody is making the argument that Vanilla SF4 will become unplayable online, mainly because its playerbase is dead. Plus if one were compelled to play AE in the future they would still have to option to play offline multiplayer.

Suppose GFWL wasn't shutting down and Ultra was still being released. When Ultra would be released there would be both an AE and Ultra playerbase online with the majority switching over to Ultra just like the transition from Vanilla to Super. Eventually the AE playerbase would dwindle until the majority is playing Ultra.
Edit: Also, anyone that cares about SF4 would be upgrading to Ultra anyway, not just so they could continue to play online.

I understand where you're coming from and in a perfect world all GFWL titles would be moving to Steamworks; in a perfect world GFWL wouldn't exist.
It is scummy because the death of GFWL will prevent you from playing online with your friends. You're probably right about the multiplayer becoming a wasteland even with Steamworks integration, but players would still have the option. With this, they won't. Thus, part of a product they own will cease to function due to inaction of the devs (or publishers; I suppose DRM is their responsibility, even though this one was used for online capabilities too).

If that's not scummy, then nothing is, in my book.

fantomena

Got a problem with Battle.net. Im typing everything right, the mail. the password and the authentication code, still Im getting "We couldn't log you in with what you just entered. Please try again.".

It seems that I had a 5£ voucher so the discount price helped. If you are looking to buy local I'm not sure if you are going to get any decent price, I'm afraid. Either way I'm always checking here and there for any good local deal so in case I find something I'll be sure to send you a PM as soon as possible.

Thanks man. BTW, you never answered the last pm I sent you.

AkuMifune

Banned
The worst thing is playing rogue-likes and getting really far and then trying to continue on after a night of drinking and ruining all of your progress with shitty, stupid play.

Happened to me in Rogue Legacy and I just about ruined my ongoing Hammerwatch solo run in the 3rd area last night by dying 10 times in a row without it dawning on me that I was destroying a piece of art. I hope I can save it.

Sober

Finished Guacamelee about an hour ago, fun as hell, nice relatively good length for a metroidvania. Don't know if I'm going to go back and snatch up all the chests and stuff. Lemme guess though, the real ending is in hard mode?

Actually maybe I will replay it since I remembered there is a Manny Calavera skin for Juan on the Steam Workshop.

Card Boy

Banned

Well i'm good.

Fbya.png

Finished Guacamelee about an hour ago, fun as hell, nice relatively good length for a metroidvania. Don't know if I'm going to go back and snatch up all the chests and stuff. Lemme guess though, the real ending is in hard mode?

Actually maybe I will replay it since I remembered there is a Manny Calavera skin for Juan on the Steam Workshop.

The real ending is collecting all the orbs/mask pieces.

What the hell Deadly Premonition has no settings...you cant even change the resolution let alone graphics settings. Also I can't invert the controller LOL

Just googled and there is a Durante fix hurrah!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
It is scummy because the death of GFWL will prevent you from playing online with your friends. You're probably right about the multiplayer becoming a wasteland even with Steamworks integration, but players would still have the option. With this, they won't. Thus, part of a product they own will cease to function due to inaction of the devs (or publishers; I suppose DRM is their responsibility, even though this one was used for online capabilities too).

If that's not scummy, then nothing is, in my book.

I could say it may be a poor decision by Crapcom but wouldn't call it scummy. They didn't force the GFWL shutdown. That being said, Street Fighter is a special case, first of all is a fighting game that has many versions from vanilla to super, to super AE, to super AE v2012, and now to ULTRA, like previous Street Fighters iterations most people will play the last one, nobody plays single player SF, only online and offline multiplayer. I don't think it is a scam because they were going to do the update anyway, so they didn't choose to charge an extra 15 bucks to sell you a new game because you can't play the old one, they would have done that anyway (yeah lol).
I agree with what you are saying mostly but for me it isn't a scam, poor to none support by the publisher: sure.

Dr Dogg

I got Dark Souls as a gift during the sales .... and I heard in another thread that it will stop using GFWL sometime this year

A friend had some trouble losing his save and things like that when one of the Batman games lost GFWL support ... anyone had problems like that ?

Should I wait to play Dark Souls ?

You do realise it now has Steam Cloud for saves right? That and DSFix does allow for save back ups.

lol @ that review there bashing Steam.

If you have ever had a really, really bad experience downloading software, multiply it by 10 and that is what is proffered by the distributors of this game. In order to play you must provide a credit card number, and it's a $99 charge for the "Collector's Edition"...(which I did). After loading their "software enabling tool" the digital distributor, a third party called "STEAM" literally makes you jump though hoops to get the CD verification code. I waited DAYS...and finally a week passed and guess what? NO CODE!!! I can't say if the game is good, bad or great because I could never download it.

STEAM'S process is torture. The software designers sold their soul for a cheaper way to distribute their product and it's a miserable failure.

lol

Turfster

I've never run into this. Does Steam provide the hoops?
What do you think Gaben is making on that anvil?
They always need fresh hoops for us to jump through, son.
Also, over here they are delivered by a nice man called Steve. He even holds them slightly lower for me because he knows I have a bad back.

As corrosive said, it's linked to finishing the lunch adore mask. It's doable without a guide, but I think a few were a little obtuse without one.

A seriously great game, though.

fallout

Yeah the strategy neckbeard contingent is like that, surprised during Civ V they came out in full force, didn't know there was one for CoH.
I don't know if it's just the strategy neckbeard contingent. I've seen some backlash over Broken Age Act 1 not getting a DRM-free release.

Kiru

Realized I already have it and don't want a duplicate entry in my library because of a separate sub whatever.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

UFO Afterlight -- MB-8D8673A82FB5905D - Taken by Faabulous. 4 entrants total.

t1389999808z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom