• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

m6xLDwZ.gif

dem fighting words.

I haven't played either. Waiting for the inevitable Bioshock Infinite GOTY edition

I'm definitely probably one of very few who'll even say that. Waiting for a GOTY edition on bio is a good choice. I can't say the game is bad. Since fundamentally everything works but I sure didn't like it. Still want to try out burial at sea myself though.

Momentary

Banned
I just found out that Driftmoon unlocked for me on my Steam account. Completely forgot that I got it off the new Groupees bundle.

I found out about owning it thanks to jshackles' Enhanced Steam.

Rogue Legacy is not a metroidvania. Also, Spelunky is more roguelike than Rogue Legacy. One of the reasons I don't enjoy Spelunky that much is its roguelike aspect. There's a lot of luck involved in each run and I find myself too frustrated when I die because of it and have nothing to carry over from that run. If Spelunky were a regular platformer with multiple lives or had a system like Rogue Legacy to work toward unlocks I'd actually enjoy it more (I understand why it doesnt, but it also means it's not really a game for me).

The grindy aspect of Rogue Legacy is also debatable. I liked playing the game so I rarely saw most runs as a grind, even if they usually ended with enough money for a few more upgrades and that's all. You can definitely play your first run of the game without grinding much at all (ng+ and forward is a bit of a different story though).
Spelunky really isn't all that luck-based. Yeah, occasionally the shop generation will work against you but knowledge, timed patience, deliberate movements and reflexes are much, much higher on the list of 'requirements to succeed' than luck factor. Even without top-tier items it's still within reason to defeat the boss so long as you come to terms with you have and play smartly. Spelunky demands the player to be informed and calculative in order to make until the bitter end, but I can understand if its indiscriminate nature is a little off-putting to you compared to something like Rogue Legacy since Spelunky (as a general rule-of-thumb) does not compromise

ah didn't know that it had mod support

that's interesting

might investigate a bit
Basic mod support. You can mess around with its art assets to an extent, which is why some players have characters that look like this:

baer_spelunkycpuq7.png

That's about it for the most part.

Jawmuncher

Wow the Amazon thing kind of sucks does it not?

The few indie games at the very bottom of the list and the X-com sales are the best of the bunch. But yeah pretty weak sale overall.

Diamond in the rough :D

Game was even more bonkers on PS3. Felt like driving a car that could blow up at any moment. Really wish the game had been better polished. Since I still enjoyed it for what it was, but it deserved so much more.

mannerbot

ah didn't know that it had mod support

that's interesting

might investigate a bit

Mod support isn't official but you can edit game files to change graphics. Some popular streamers have custom skins that look like them, for example.

Rogue Legacy is not a metroidvania. Also, Spelunky is more roguelike than Rogue Legacy. One of the reasons I don't enjoy Spelunky that much is its roguelike aspect. There's a lot of luck involved in each run and I find myself too frustrated when I die because of it and have nothing to carry over from that run. If Spelunky were a regular platformer with multiple lives or had a system like Rogue Legacy to work toward unlocks I'd actually enjoy it more (I understand why it doesnt, but it also means it's not really a game for me).

There's much, much less luck involved with Spelunky than you seem to think. And it's a good thing that it's a pure "roguelite"/arcade experience. It's unfortunate that the game isn't immediately compelling to you, but if you stick with it it will return what you invest tenfold. Like really, Rogue Legacy is ridiculously ass-backwards: the game is hard as balls for a new player, and then if you can't beat it THAT'S OK because you get a bunch of consolation prizes!!! Then eventually you get better but also the game's a ton easier in the first place because you have all of these unlocks, so the difficulty is all uneven... no thanks. Spelunky's difficulty is perfectly tuned from the beginning, you don't have to grind for items to start making progress in the game (actual progress, not artificial progress in the form of unlocks), and you earn every little bit of progress that you do get because the only constant between runs is your own skill. That's the way it should be -- level up as a player, not grind for gear on your avatar just so that you even have a chance.

DigiMish

Quick question - I need 1 more card to craft my Holiday 2013 badge. Is there any way for me to get it?

It shows that some of my friends have this specific card, but when I go look at their inventory, they're not there.

YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

You made CSD? Looks awesome. Kicking myself for not grabbing it in the sales.

10: Starbound - I already have Terraria and wasn't too into that. Eh.
09: Gone Home - Excellent 90s sim. Must play again because I missed some side story details.
08: Saints Row IV - I've watched my brother play. I can wait.
07: FEZ - I'll get around to it eventually. My patience for puzzles is short.
06: Dota 2 - Dear god I know better than to get sucked into this one.
05: Papers, Please - Crossing my fingers it's in Humble X.
04: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - This is better than I remember Mario Kart ever being.
03: Spelunky - My love for this game increased when I switched to the pug. This has been a review.
02: BioShock Infinite - The art was great but the game was not.
01: Rogue Legacy - Awesome for 20-something hours until I realized I just kept grinding hokage.

Turfster

Sttooopppp, I love bizarre things and enjoyed quite a few David Lynch movies.

The controls are.... rather bad. Spectacularly so in some of the 'combat' sections.
Done 2 zones now, and I still haven't got the faintest clue of what the fuck is happening.

Woo a quote of mine made it into a GOTY ga... hey, wait a minute...!
(But seriously, XBlades is shit in every possible way. Blades of time on the other hand was entertaining enough)

m.gorecki

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Risk of Rain -- MB-F9211DB173D4E175 - Taken by Danielsan. 63 entrants total.

t1388891637z1.png

Picked up a 4-pack for me and two friends. Have one left over for GAF. Enjoy.

Colin.

Got round to finishing off Brothers. It was a pretty good game, and a pretty one to look at. Touches on things in a way that games don't tend to do.
Especially in the build up to the end, pretty sad stuff. Naiee had one lousy childhood.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I finally finished Demonicon, or as I like to call it "The Adventures of Mr. Bi-Polar". Here's a bunch more screens:

So I guess I should write-up my final thoughts on the game. Ultimately the metric used to judge a game (or any piece of art) can be broken down to two basic categories: Is it technically good? Or Is it entertaining?

On the former, the game is for the most part a failure. Terrible animations, ugly character design, pitiful combat with practically no feedback, repetitive enemies, ham-fisted storytelling, a lack-lustre graphics engine with some occasionally nice lighting effects and the odd decent texture, banal, uninspired art-direction and completely forgettable music. Oh, and the checkpoints (the game auto-saves with no way to manually save, although it does create many historical saves so you can always roll-back if there's a problem) were arbitrary in nature.

On that list alone you wouldn't give the game the time of day. However, the game is in many ways one of the most entertaining I've played in years. Why? Possibly because the atrocious dialogue options, hilarious voice acting and the variety of graphical glitches turned the game into something well beyond the sum of its parts. It's effectively a soap-opera set in a medieval fantasy world with a main character who vacillates between disconnected concern, sarcasm and UNFETTERED ANGER. Coupled with the binary voice acting (softly spoken or yelling into the mic), the bizzare, single-minded obsession with incest and the preponderance of the main character's voice actor to scream "WHAROOOOOONG!" at the top of his lungs when occasional taking damage (and in one particular cut-scene, making it all the more hilarious) makes this a game that will have you doubled-over with laughter. My wife ended up watching me play through the entire game, 20 hours according to Steam, just so she wouldn't miss any of the hilarity.

Is the game good? No. Is the game entertaining and memorable? Absolutely, just maybe for all the wrong reasons.

Oh, and I will say despite being a dodgy PC WRPG made on the cheap in Germany it was for the most part a very stable game. I only had it crash once and never suffered any game breaking bugs or was forced to restart sections. You can't say that about a lot of AAA games out there.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thanks y'all, I really do appreciate it! Glad CSD found a bigger audience after the flash sale. Needless to say I love Steam. :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The controls are.... rather bad. Spectacularly so in some of the 'combat' sections.
Done 2 zones now, and I still haven't got the faintest clue of what the fuck is going on.
Flaw it on me!

Bad controls, got it. Game had combat. Also to be seen if its just weird to be weird or weird for purpose/symbolism.

Terra_Ex

Yeah, that Demonicon writeup just makes me all the more intrigued...
Gonna wait for the 75% off price point though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You and me both.

Also, I think I just... "finished" Continue?9876543210 with a bad end?
I don't know, man.

Supposedly the longer it takes you to solve rooms, the faster you'll reach a complete ending. Going to be loading this up in about 20 minutes and keep on truckin til Space Dandy.

Exactly zero games I voted for made it on the list, but overall they all placed respectably so I won't complain. Rogue Legacy is by no means my favorite game, but it's a better choice for GOTY than Bioshock. I don't get the love, I really don't.

Turfster

Flaw it on me!

Bad controls, got it. Game had combat. Also to be seen if its just weird to be weird or weird for purpose/symbolism.

It's... I don't know, man. I think there's supposed to be symbolism, but... it didn't really touch me? The "deep" stuff was pretty hum-drum, and the rest was so fucking random... You also spend a lot of time just... staring at the screen, waiting for things to happen... or not...

Supposedly the longer it takes you to solve rooms, the faster you'll reach a complete ending. Going to be loading this up in about 20 minutes and keep on truckin til Space Dandy.

But every zone after the first one is timed to like, a minute with random break zones in between, so you can't really take longer.

FloatOn

One more thing before I go see Walter Mitty: for being a beta I think it is really great that Starbound is in the top 10. It was my number one spot

Nabs

Whoa. When did Enhanced Steam add this? I completely overlooked it.

(from the Friends who play page) Friends who have played BioShock Infinite in the last 2 weeks - Friends who want BioShock Infinite - All friends who own this (73)

Now I don't have to pretend-gift a game to see who has what!

Lain

Oh come on people, make Demonicon sound absolutely awful or I'll end up buying it.

I pulled the trigger this afternoon after Witchfinder General's various posts and Rhaknar's impressions on Steam. It just sounds like a very fun/entertaining trainwrek.

Sajjaja

Whoa. When did Enhanced Steam add this? I completely overlooked it.

(from the Friends who play page) Friends who have played BioShock Infinite in the last 2 weeks - Friends who want BioShock Infinite - All friends who own this (73)

Now I don't have to pretend-gift a game to see who has what!

That's not Enhanced Steam....That's OG Steam.

Anyone in here would like to group up in Nether? I need a partner/s. Tired of getting killed over and over and losing my progress and loot.

You can add me on Steam if interested.
ID: Sebol82

Nabs

That's not Enhanced Steam....That's OG Steam.

I wish. It's something I've wanted for a long time.

Enhanced Steam 5.5

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.5. Changes include:

-Added "Early Access" image banners to Early Access games on Steam
-Added a list of friends that own a game on the "friends that own" page
-Added badge progress and remaining card drops to app pages

How long does it usually take Telltale to release an episode of a given game/season? I've never bought one of their games at release before, Wolf Among Us is the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom