• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Thank you for doing it this year. I personally think you should do it after the winter sale though, next time. I know my votes would be different. People pick up more games during the winter sale, and some people might get more time to play them during the holidays.

Yeah, for sure the next voting won't take place until the Steam Winter 2014 are done and dusted.

Can't wait for HALO 3 to win next year.

I suppose it would feel less like bad luck if I were smart/good enough to avoid bad situations. But I can't count the number of times I've made a small mistake that ended up in my death because of the tendency for events to quickly snowball out of control due to the way everything interacts with everything (which is one aspect I really like, but also can make a level feel like a Rube Goldberg machine of pain at times). Those situations, to me, often feel like luck because the random placement can mean the difference of the same mistake leading to either a single heart loss or total death because five random enemies, a couple arrows, and a shopkeeper are all bearing down on you since they all happened to be in near enough vicinity to be alerted at the same time (which is why I wish the game had a more forgiving invulnerability window).

Anyway, Spelunky is definitely a good game. I don't completely get the all the adoration for it, but I can definitely see that the core gameplay is very strong. But even as a Demon/Dark Souls vet I think it borders on too punishing for me to ever make much progress in it.
To be fair, everyone has had one of those "Rube Goldberg machine" moments and it adds to the hilarity, but at the same time it strictly encourages players to be very mindful of their surroundings.

Still not something that's heavily luck-based though, since 99% of those can be entirely avoided or negated with the tools presented to you. Even a simple rock might suffice if a mere arrow trap triggered one such chain reaction.

Speaking of badges, I restarted steam this morning and was happy to see two inventory notifications!

capturezgk1g.png

Umm, thanks Valve. So now what? (no they don't actually show up in the inventory).

eek5

Speaking of badges, I restarted steam this morning and was happy to see two inventory notifications!

capturezgk1g.png

Umm, thanks Valve. So now what? (no they don't actually show up in the inventory).

It's weird that the progress doesn't go away after the cards expire.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I do want to craft the second badge for Super House Of Dead Ninjas. I can't present "trainee" as my favourite badge in a profile, it doesn't do the game justice when I recommend it to others.

Hopefully I won't have to spend any money on that. So far I've gotten by with good will from others and a couple of trades.

donny2112

Someday I shall get a foil, someday I shall get a booster back,

Have gotten a foil, but they were one-offs. Prefer the old way of getting badges, as they didn't require buying stuff off the market. But, then, that's probably why Steam changed things. They want people to get used to buying stuff off the market. :(

denx

ibbOwtNQKWGWsX.png

If you have any ideas on what you would prefer to happen in the next poll, send a PM. I will add it to the list.
Personally, I would prefer these changes next time:

• Poll to run between late December/January instead of early December.
  • Steam GOTY Award to have it's own thread (unlikely to happen).
  • Somehow make the voting more automated and less time consuming.
  • Users must submit a 'mini-reflection' of their GOTY.

I think voting should start on the second week of January or so and extend until the end of the month. That way people get to play the stuff they bought on the Christmas seal and munch a bit on their opinions of those games. Having a mini-reflection / short opinion for their GOTY also sounds like a cool idea.

Derp, I misunderstood.
Maybe he bought stuff on the last day and went over the 10$ limit twice, but they didn't get added due to the DDoS? Or he wasn't level 5 yet?

No to all of them and I certainly didn't buy anything on the last day! (stupid price gouging).

I was all up to date with cards and they just kind of appeared. New account time :|

Card Boy

Banned
Just clocked Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Fucken amazing.

Took me almost 6 hrs to clock and is better than all the other $60 'AAA' FPS crap out there. Gameplay was awesome, music is excellent, voice acting was top notch, heck even the story and the way it was told is fantastic.

I honestly can't believe it costs $15 for the production values it has and at that price its a steal, i paid $5 myself and that is highway robbery.

5 out of 5.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just clocked Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Fucken amazing.

Took me almost 6 hrs to clock and is better than all the other $60 'AAA' FPS crap out there. Gameplay was awesome, music is excellent, voice acting was top notch, heck even the story and the way it was told is fantastic.

I honestly can't believe it costs $15 for the production values it has and at that price its a steal, i paid $5 myself and that is highway robbery.

5 out of 5.

That is fantastic to hear. After I finish up Infinite's DLC, I'm going to start up CoJ.

MRORANGE

I think voting should start on the second week of January or so and extend until the end of the month. That way people get to play the stuff they bought on the Christmas seal and munch a bit on their opinions of those games. Having a mini-reflection / short opinion for their GOTY also sounds like a cool idea.

That would be a good idea.

* - GFWL DRM included

It would be amazing if this is true, like they launch it a day before the GFWL servers close or something.

denx

I think they have learned their lesson due to the fact they have shut down GFWL and seen the massive success of Age of Empires, Fable and their other published games on Steam.

tru dat. We should trust in Jason Holtman.

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
Woo Rogue Legacy won GOTY! It's not Volgarr but i'll take it. Props to MrOrange for all the work he put into the whole shindig.

SteamGAF, I have to ask, is there any games on Steam with a funnier cutscene than this?: http://youtu.be/g2Eu2u_cSVs

If so, I'll need to take a look at it.
Edit: Fixed cutscene link, copy-paste fail.

That was pretty great.
At first i was just like "Oh I can see how this is kind of silly and cheesy." Then the gas-mask dude busted in like Terry Crews in an Old Spice Commercial.

The_Monk

Decided to watch a bit more of gameplay of Rust from some Streams and I'm getting really interested in the game. I hope they can improve it much more.

I mean, grabbing some food in the wilds then come to the house you built, light your bonfire and get some rest sounds nice.

Yuterald

Any idea why my Achievements notification on the bottom right corner doesn't popup/display anymore? I'm still earning them, but they don't show anyone the moment I receive one. I've checked my settings and did some research online and I can't find a solution.

Turfster

Any idea why my Achievements notification on the bottom right corner doesn't popup/display anymore? I'm still earning them, but they don't show anyone the moment I receive one. I've checked my settings and did some research online and I can't find a solution.

Is this for all games, or just one specific game?
Some of them don't work too well with the gameoverlay and don't display them.

Is it possible that you may have disabled the pop-up? Or it isn't possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom