• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Just reading the last few pages>>>

- Not sure what happened to shadow warrior, either a voter gave a different name and I might have amended it afterwards or it might be a different game, might take some time to fix. (makes a difference of 10 places if it's and error, but not major in terms of top 30). I will also fix the Dust (2) in due time.

- The reason why all the percentages of the smaller pie-chart are 0% is that excel would have most likely rounded the results, considering this accounts for 4 percent I'm sure it's a minuscule amount.

- The votes were really tight, I double checked all the people who voted after I realized BS:INF and RG were tied. In the GAF GOTY, poster reviews were used to break apart ties, I though this system wasn't really right so decided to base it on APS, this wasn't discussed before with voters.

- I don't think we can post the results in a new thread, you can still state and point people to post 2 in reference of results and such I believe.

This might have got lost when we knew what the winner was, but I would really love feedback and your views on this poll and the next one:

ibbOwtNQKWGWsX.png

If you have any ideas on what you would prefer to happen in the next poll, send a PM. I will add it to the list.
Personally, I would prefer these changes next time:

• Poll to run between late December/January instead of early December.
  • Steam GOTY Award to have it's own thread (unlikely to happen).
  • Somehow make the voting more automated and less time consuming.
  • Users must submit a 'mini-reflection' of their GOTY.

Other than I thought it went alright, wish I planned it a bit more better, but it's a great start to our first SteamGAF award. I hope you found the countdown enjoyable and the data somewhat-relevant.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's not Enhanced Steam....That's OG Steam.

Yeah, it got into Enhanced Steam in 5.5

I'm flattered that you guys think it was Valve, though. ;)

Sajjaja

I wish. It's something I've wanted for a long time.

Enhanced Steam 5.5

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.5. Changes include:

-Added "Early Access" image banners to Early Access games on Steam
-Added a list of friends that own a game on the "friends that own" page
-Added badge progress and remaining card drops to app pages

But I just did the same thing in the client.....

EDIT: Oh shit.... it's weird... you click the "X friends already own this game," and it doesn't show everyone.

My mistake.

Kovaelin

I pulled the trigger this afternoon after Witchfinder General's various posts and Rhaknar's impressions on Steam. It just sounds like a very fun/entertaining trainwrek.

I wonder if the devs suddenly realized how bad their game was, so they just did a rewrite and let the voice actors just go crazy.

Also, before I forget, thanks MRORANGE!

Turfster

How long does it usually take Telltale to release an episode of a given game/season? I've never bought one of their games at release before, Wolf Among Us is the first.

Too long.
Walking Dead S1 was slated for 2011, but was delayed to Q2 2012, with the last part coming out in november.
I think the other seasonal games also took about half a year to year to all come out.

Sajjaja

How long does it usually take Telltale to release an episode of a given game/season? I've never bought one of their games at release before, Wolf Among Us is the first.

Takes a while. It's pretty shitty. That's why I'm waiting till 3-4 episodes come out before I jump in, and that way, I may get a better price too.

Cth

So, votes are closed. With a whopping 27 votes, and three dequalified (ಠ_ಠ), the winner(s) were...
CSD 1

Makin' the giveaway in a few minutes.

C'mon, I'm the only one to vote for CSD?!

YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

Good luck!

Kiru

I won my copy of The Wolf Amongst Us in that GamesRadar giveaway therefore I'm more patient than people who bought it on release. Started it up yesterday for the very first time. Haven't played The Walking Dead yet, but I did really enjoy the first episode of TWAU.

Maybe its just because I'm viewing it on my phone but Alpha Protocol looks pretty good.

Similar glitch in both DayZ and BF4
It looks great, which I didn't expect going in. Even has a pretty good DoF effect going on.

And it's already making me think which of the obvious love interests I'm gonna end up sleeping with.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm ready for that client based Enhanced Steam.

Here is a preview of what I'm working on for that...

GlMxNPI.png

liz3z3I.png

Blos3zh.png

Download zip, unzip, edit host file, run EXE, watch magic

Vecks

Thank you for doing it this year. I personally think you should do it after the winter sale though, next time. I know my votes would be different. People pick up more games during the winter sale, and some people might get more time to play them during the holidays.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.
Cook, Serve, Delicious makes me feel happier while playing it than anything in the SteamGAF top 10. If I had known how much fun it was and bought it before the sale, I would've voted for it.

But please, give me the option to turn off the visual rush hour notification. Shit always ends up ruining whatever order I'm doing.

Nzyme32

For those interested, apparently Valve have a media event planned for Monday 5pm PT. While most info seems to be clear that hardware partners will be revealed, others are saying software partners will also be revealed. I was thinking of making a thread of it on Monday.

Nabs

Cook, Serve, Delicious makes me feel happier while playing it than anything in the SteamGAF top 10. If I had known how much fun it was and bought it before the sale, I would've voted for it.

But please, give me the option to turn off the visual rush hour notification. Shit always ends up ruining whatever order I'm doing.

It's in the options menu.

Santiako

For those interested, apparently Valve have a media event planned for Monday 5pm PT. While most info seems to be clear that hardware partners will be revealed, others are saying software partners will also be revealed. I was thinking of making a thread of it on Monday.

Please do, I'm very excited about CES this monday.

Nzyme32

Please do, I'm very excited about CES this monday.

Will do. I have the week off so was thinking of just doing a CES steam thread for whatever announcements show up as the week goes on. Hopefully we will have the same situation as last year where someone finds Gabe in a toilet, asks for an interview and gets Gabe to explain all the plans, if the press event doesn't solve that this time round

eek5

Here is a preview of what I'm working on for that...
Download zip, unzip, edit host file, run EXE, watch magic
Nice! This is going to be great. Just started using ES recently and it is amazing.

Once you finish your drops, you're not guaranteed any more. You can have booster packs randomly drop though.

How rare are booster packs? I have gotten one for FTL but nothing else.

Turfster

They're supposed to be linked to your level, but yeah, they're pretty rare. I think I've gotten like, one once a month.
Maybe there's just so many more people higher level than me getting all the booster packs whenever someone crafts a badge, or their system is broken as hell, because every time I get one, I know at least 2 friends that got one at the same time too, and they're like, 8 levels below me.

eek5

They're supposed to be linked to your level, but yeah, they're pretty rare. I think I've gotten like, one once a month.
Maybe there's just so many more people higher level than me getting all the booster packs whenever someone crafts a badge, or their system is broken as hell, because every time I get one, I know at least 2 friends that got one at the same time too, and they're like, 8 levels below me.

Interesting. I just hit level 10 so I'm pretty low level. One a month doesn't seem that bad though depending on how many games you have gotten all the cards for.

Kovaelin

I think there's an increase of boosters dropping every 10 levels.

Nice! This is going to be great. Just started using ES recently and it is amazing.

I've gotten around 3 a month without fail since badges started, level 22. Crafting badges yourself seems to have no change on the rate, I've only crafted 2 since September.

Nice to see someone else voted for Expeditions: Conquistidor.

Gamerloid

I'm level 41 and I get like, one, sometimes two, Booster Packs a month.

And I have 97 games legible.

It's a horrible system when you can't really complete a set (level 5 badge) with booster packs. Takes level 50 to double your chances of getting a card, but of what initial chance?

zkylon

zkylewd
Basic mod support. You can mess around with its art assets to an extent, which is why some players have characters that look like this:

baer_spelunkycpuq7.png

That's about it for the most part.
maybe that's enough. would like to do something about sound too if it's too creepy.

like the bears in skyrim didn't really cut it lol

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Someday I shall get a foil, someday I shall get a booster back, but for right now I would just settle for the ability to have more friends.

-------------------------------

I really do love Pinball FX2. Beyond just being an addictive game of high scores and trying to best one's friends, there is also the various tables can have missions that keep it all so fresh and entertain you as diversions.

Star Wars Starfighter Assault table for example, one of it's missions actually turns the game into a simple cockpit FPS shooter game and another mission turns it into a simple verticle shoot-em-up. Why do that sort of thing for a pinball table? Tis a fun way to get more points and adds another layer of proper challenge to an already rich game.

Curious_George

Neo Member
There's much, much less luck involved with Spelunky than you seem to think. And it's a good thing that it's a pure "roguelite"/arcade experience.

I suppose it would feel less like bad luck if I were smart/good enough to avoid bad situations. But I can't count the number of times I've made a small mistake that ended up in my death because of the tendency for events to quickly snowball out of control due to the way everything interacts with everything (which is one aspect I really like, but also can make a level feel like a Rube Goldberg machine of pain at times). Those situations, to me, often feel like luck because the random placement can mean the difference of the same mistake leading to either a single heart loss or total death because five random enemies, a couple arrows, and a shopkeeper are all bearing down on you since they all happened to be in near enough vicinity to be alerted at the same time (which is why I wish the game had a more forgiving invulnerability window).

Anyway, Spelunky is definitely a good game. I don't completely get the all the adoration for it, but I can definitely see that the core gameplay is very strong. But even as a Demon/Dark Souls vet I think it borders on too punishing for me to ever make much progress in it.

Cth

Continue?9876543210 is one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING.

I picked it up on iOS earlier today..

Surprisingly interesting game.. the intro is amazing.. lots of smart meta references/etc.. some basic mini-game play so it's not just a pure empathy/experience game. Visually interesting in terms of assets as well as presentation. Decent length (so far).. longer than Gone Home at least :p

maybe that's enough. would like to do something about sound too if it's too creepy.

like the bears in skyrim didn't really cut it lol
Spiders only really make short 'sticky' sounds rather than something that adds to the creepiness. Enemy audio has been kept simple so that they're all distinctive even without seeing them in the distance.

eek5

Someday I shall get a foil, someday I shall get a booster back, but for right now I would just settle for the ability to have more friends.
Haha I've gotten both but it isn't that special :(

I just want to complete some sets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom