• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For anyone interested, I've updated Enhanced Steam Standalone and it now includes a launcher.

The launcher, when launched, will attempt to automatically start the nginx and rinetd servers, and will also check your host file configuration. If there are any problems, the status of these items should be displayed by the launcher.

The launcher also has a simple "Enhanced" (in green) or "Not Enhanced" (in red). If it says "Enhanced", that means you should be experiencing the Enhanced Steam changes whenever browsing Steam.

The launcher was written in Visual Basic .NET and requires the .NET Framework 4.5 from Microsoft.

Gamerloid

Based on the proliferation of members with a Ronan avatar, I had an idea for an image for the Steam thread and thought I would get a little creative. Hope you enjoy it...

Now I lost the little interest I had in the film

For anyone interested, I've updated Enhanced Steam Standalone and it now includes a launcher.

The launcher, when launched, will attempt to automatically start the nginx and rinetd servers, and will also check your host file configuration. If there are any problems, the status of these items should be displayed by the launcher.

The launcher also has a simple "Enhanced" (in green) or "Not Enhanced" (in red). If it says "Enhanced", that means you should be experiencing the Enhanced Steam changes whenever browsing Steam.

The launcher was written in Visual Basic .NET and requires the .NET Framework 4.5 from Microsoft.

You've been working non-stop today. Really admire your dedication.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Well, didn't realize I was at the end of the page, so I hope no one minds a repost here...

Based on the proliferation of members with a Ronan avatar, I had an idea for an image for the Steam thread and thought I would get a little creative. Hope you enjoy it...

tw9K5Yj.jpg

Whooter

Well, didn't realize I was at the end of the page, so I hope no one minds a repost here...

Glorious!

Anyone play Dysfunctional Systems Episode 1? I'm curious whether or not episode 1 wraps up nicely or ends on a cliffhanger

I bought the game awhile ago (before it was on steam) but never played it. I figured tonight is the night and while it was installing I was looking at the developers website. Turns out they just announced they aren't working on the other episodes anymore (for the time being at least). It sucks that not even a steam release gave them the money they needed but I guess it can't be helped. I'm not too interested in jumping into the game if it leaves me hanging. Although I'll probably play it anyway... eventually

the game I should have bought but did not
Risk of Rain

Of course. This is your standard MO. :p

How easy is the "cloning" of github repo to get this set up? I'm assuming that the rinetd and other service are just executables within the repo?

Downloaded GitHub. How do I do this again?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How easy is the "cloning" of github repo to get this set up? I'm assuming that the rinetd and other service are just executables within the repo?

Downloaded GitHub. How do I do this again?

You can also just press "download ZIP" from the right hand side. Then extract the zip file to a folder somewhere, and run the launcher.

You can also just press "download ZIP" from the right hand side. Then extract the zip file from a folder somewhere, and run the launcher.

Smooth... that sounds easy enough -- I'm used to Java repos and ending up having classpath problems and the like... so this sounds simple enough that I might just install it by the time I go to bed. :D

jshackles

When I read this article, I close my eyes and pretend that Gabe is saying these things to me as he's asking me to work for him

I think I would fit in really well there

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You can also just press "download ZIP" from the right hand side. Then extract the zip file to a folder somewhere, and run the launcher.

So this method doesn't require us to do this:

Installation

For now, the installation requires several steps, with a lot of manual work:

Clone this repository.
Edit your hosts file to resolve store.steampowered.com and steamcommunity.com locally (use two different IPs, like 127.0.0.200 and 127.0.0.201; as it is needed for HTTPS). You can also append the hosts file from this repository to yours.
Start rinetd using your terminal: rinetd -c rinetd.conf
Start nginx
Start/Call the Steam client and navigate.

Note: If you modify the local IP addresses in the hosts file, please modify them in the rinetd configuration too.

Or do we still have to go through with these steps?

jshackles

So this method doesn't require us to do this:

Or do we still have to go through with these steps?

The new installation steps are

• Clone this repository.
  • Edit your hosts file to resolve store.steampowered.com and steamcommunity.com locally (use two different IPs, like 127.0.0.200 and 127.0.0.201; as it is needed for HTTPS). You can also append the hosts file from this repository to yours.
  • Launch Ehanced Steam.exe
  • Browse Steam with new features

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lol, that's also how Keanu's head is in the regular poster. Couldn't figure out a way to make it seem right with the angle. Plus in the original, there is also an odd blue hand on the woman in the back.

At first glance I thought that was Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn, haha.

Anustart

I put Monaco down for a night to get back to the witcher 2 and I'm glad I did. Still loving this game, and I'm now super hyped for Witcher 3, because that open world I think is really gonna put the series into amazing territory.

Also, since it's real pic January, I should probably put a Ronan pic up.

Grief.exe

I put Monaco down for a night to get back to the witcher 2 and I'm glad I did. Still loving this game, and I'm now super hyped for Witcher 3, because that open world I think is really gonna put the series into amazing territory.

I just hope CD Projekt has learned proper pacing, both TW1 and TW2 suffer in the early hours.

Also, since it's real pic January, I should probably put a Ronan pic up.

...With a spider on her face.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

• Clone this repository.
  • Edit your hosts file to resolve store.steampowered.com and steamcommunity.com locally (use two different IPs, like 127.0.0.200 and 127.0.0.201; as it is needed for HTTPS). You can also append the hosts file from this repository to yours.

Lol I will wait for a tutorial because I don't want to fuck anything up. Thanks dude.

jshackles

GabeN said:
the fact that somebody has been able to build something and ship it and not get sort of bogged down and give up and then deal with the gush of responses you get, filter through that in a useful and productive way and iterate is really the core of product design and development in our world. So when you see somebody who has already done that, especially if nobody was teaching or leading them to do that it's a really good sign that they're going to be successful.

Yeah... why am I not working there?

So when I view my library in grid view some of my games, mostly the Double Fine prototypes, are just grey rectangles with little square images in the middle. But when I view them in list view they all have nice images next to the name that makes them fit in better with the rest of my library. Why do they only show up in list view?

wilflare

So when I view my library in grid view some of my games, mostly the Double Fine prototypes, are just grey rectangles with little square images in the middle. But when I view them in list view they all have nice images next to the name that makes them fit in better with the rest of my library. Why do they only show up in list view?

The only way to work around that is to create custom images and add them

JaseC

Each view option uses a different image, but in cases where a publisher didn't set a Grid View image you can choose one yourself.

Edit: To illustrate, Detail View ("clienticon"):

85c721efacb1b0903fa11e993291c33da8f643d1.ico

List View ("logo_small"):

c2e409b1d9313648a4865b8aff9aba98fc6b4f04.jpg

And finally Grid View ("header"):

header_292x136.jpg

Joe Molotov

• Clone this repository.

I'm dumb, what am I doing wrong here? I downloaded the ZIP and updated my hosts file, but when I run the EXE it says that nginx is not running and the host files are not updated.

f0gulWQ.png

DukeBobby

Guys, you were right, Rogue Legacy is awesome.

Been playing for about 3 hours and just beat the first boss. The boss in the forest is kicking my ass, though. Time to level up.

bonesquad

Finally. I managed to beat The Swapper. Awesome game, but man did I suck at it. Not only did it take me forever to figure out the last couple puzzles, but even after beating the game I still don't have any achievements! Clearly I failed...

As for the ending:
Dammit. I get why they won't let me replay from near the end to make a different choice, but that still annoys me:) I guess that's what Youtube is for. Maybe they can explain the game to me too. Did the swapper just combine minds? What was left behind? What happened to that one girl who 'swapped' with the head? Like I said, I'm not smart enough for this game:(

Anustart

I just hope CD Projekt has learned proper pacing, both TW1 and TW2 suffer in the early hours.

...With a spider on her face.

Haven't played 1, but I agree with that on 2. I almost didn't go further than an hour or so into the game, in fact I put it down for a month or so, glad I pushed on.

jshackles

Yes (it just starts, then immediately stops)
Yes

Not sure about the host files. It looks like you're in Windows 8. Did you run notepad as an administrator? There could be an issue in the launcher detecting your system directory, I'll look into that. If your host file is actually working (but reporting as not working) let me know. You can test by running 'ping store.steampowered.com' and it should return replies from 127.0.0.200

Usually if nginx starts then stops it's due to a port conflict. Do you have any other applications running that are listening on port 80? A lot of applications, such as Skype, listen on port 80.

JaseC

And while you're at it, JossShackles, you need to dump Elizabeth Olsen and cast Saoirse as Scarlet Witch. What were you thinking, man? :mad:

Haha, although I would have preferred to see Saoirse land the role, Elizabeth Olsen isn't a bad choice -- not quite as good, but certainly up there!

Honestly New England is the best place to live when it comes to everything including multiplayer games.

CS 1.6 is virtually dead here in Australia. :( I miss being able to kill people through 10 metres of concrete.

Edit: I just realised I hit level 40 thanks to the sale badges. That's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom