• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, Remember Me is amazing! Only 4 hours in, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Even though it's extremely linear, it's very fun to play. The plot is pretty interesting too; for some reason it kinda reminds me of Mirror's Edge, but WAY better.

And while you're at it, JossShackles, you need to dump Elizabeth Olsen and cast Saoirse as Scarlet Witch. What were you thinking, man? :mad:
jO8CNDZ7mGSU3.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I must be stupid at computers.

If you're having trouble getting the Enhanced Steam Client working...

To be fair, the solution has what is essentially a "proof of concept" launcher that automates a complex process that was discovered a little over 30 hours ago.

So all told, this will get better and easier with time.

Turfster

Whoa, Remember Me is amazing! Only 4 hours in, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Even though it's extremely linear, it's very fun to play. The plot is pretty interesting too; for some reason it kinda reminds me of Mirror's Edge, but WAY better.

Yes.
I told you! I told you all!
But you just laughed at me!
Now who's laughing!

But seriously, the only 'minor' thing about the game is the combat, and I found it much more responsive and fun on the PC than it was on the PS3. So much fun to go through again.
Art direction, story, soundtrack... Everything else is top notch.
I really hope Dontnod get the chance to bring us another game.

oipic

I'm not sure why the release of Remember Me passed me by as it did at the time, but I've since watched some gameplay (and seen many glorious screenshots - it's a looker)... and it's well and truly wishlisted now. I trust your judgment, Rio, you have fine taste - so I will pick this up when I can.

Please let us know your thoughts after completion, too, yeah?

Joe Molotov

Not sure about the host files. It looks like you're in Windows 8. Did you run notepad as an administrator? There could be an issue in the launcher detecting your system directory, I'll look into that. If your host file is actually working (but reporting as not working) let me know. You can test by running 'ping store.steampowered.com' and it should return replies from 127.0.0.200

Usually if nginx starts then stops it's due to a port conflict. Do you have any other applications running that are listening on port 80? A lot of applications, such as Skype, listen on port 80.

I pinged store.steampowered.com and it came up with a 127.0.0.200 address. But then when I actually tried to go to store.steampowered.com, it just came up with a blank page. :(

Also, I am running Skype. I checked the settings and it's not set to port 80 by default, but there's an option checked to use port 80 as a backup.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I pinged store.steampowered.com and it came up with a 127.0.0.200 address. But then when I actually tried to go to store.steampowered.com, it just came up with a blank page. :(

Also, I am running Skype. I checked the settings and it's not set to port 80 by default, but there's an option checked to use port 80 as a backup.

Sounds like your host file is definitely set up correctly, thanks for checking that for me. If you'd like to chat over Steam so we can get this going, hit me up

denx

So I played (yeah, I know) some more Long Live The Queen. Holy crap how are you supposed to make it to the end lol. I've done three runs through the game and I always get stuck on an unwinnable situation. My last run got to be the best though, since I got to do a bunch of badass stuff before my queen met her inevitable demise.
Off the top of my head, I got to intimidate people with my mere presence, I charmed people at the gala and got to extract information from a bunch of them, I became something of a fortune teller, I had agents and spies who were constantly feeding me information about what my asshole nobles and neighborhood countries were plotting, I becamen a Lumen, i executed people, and I became a badass military general. Despite all that, I still got into a situation were the only possible outcomes were death by magic duel, or death in the battlefield.
Still pretty badass.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yes.
Now who's laughing!

But seriously, the only 'minor' thing about the game is the combat, and I found it much more responsive and fun on the PC than it was on the PS3. So much fun to go through again.
The combat feels great; I just suck at it. I really like the dynamic music during some fights, which gets faster and cooler as your combo meter goes up.

I'd still be playing the game right now if it weren't 4:00 and I wasn't tired. Man, it's so good!

I'm not sure why the release of Remember Me passed me by as it did at the time, but I've since watched some gameplay (and seen many glorious screenshots - it's a looker)... and it's well and truly wishlisted now. I trust your judgment, Rio, you have fine taste - so I will pick this up when I can.

Please let us know your thoughts after completion, too, yeah?
Thanks! I'll try to write a sort of mini review (or at least some kind of opinions) once I'm done with it, and are able to properly judge the whole game. So far, I can totally recommend it.

Colin.

Gunpoint is a lot of fun. I can see why it has been well regarded by some of you here. I like the fact that there is multiple ways you can complete levels, and how you solve it is entirely up to you. Levels are real short too, so it is an easy game to play here and there, if you're time is limited. Recommend it for sure.

Momentary

Banned
I don't expect Metal Gear Rising to top DayZ, Rust, and Starbound. So for it to be holding that 4th position so long is giving me hope for MGSV to hit Steam. On top of that it's not counting the other stores people are purchasing the game from seeing how many people are complaining about not having keys for the pre-load and all. Heh heh heh.

The music in Remember Me always got my blood pumping. I don't see how this game didn't at least get an award for it's soundtrack or at least get nominated for it. I can't remember a single damn tune in Bioshock Infinite, yet it's gotten nominated.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't expect Metal Gear Rising to top DayZ, Rust, and Starbound. So for it to be holding that 4th position so long is giving me hope for MGSV to hit Steam. On top of that it's not counting the other stores people are purchasing the game from seeing how many people are complaining about not having keys for the pre-load and all. Heh heh heh.

Speaking of Konami, I'd be interested in hearing how many copies Saw has sold since returning to the store. The US sub actually ran out of keys during the Halloween Sale.

Sounds like your host file is definitely set up correctly, thanks for checking that for me. If you'd like to chat over Steam so we can get this going, hit me up

The front end isn't recognizing my hosts file being correct. I'm assuming this is cause enhanced steam standalone is on D:\ and the hosts file is on C:\?

It's working though...

es.standalonegfdp8.png

JaseC

Maybe enough to get Saw II, eh? Eh?

Finishing up the internal PC port is the only reason I can think of as to why Konami sought the licence again... or maybe it noticed people were coughing up 60 keys for gift copies and realised there was money to be made. ;) I asked Konami's rep here on GAF why the company got its hands on Saw again but, unsurprisingly, he couldn't say anything.

jshackles

The front end isn't recognizing my hosts file being correct. I'm assuming this is cause enhanced steam standalone is on D:\ and the hosts file is on C:\?

It's working though...

Glad to hear it's working. It'd be interested in knowing the results if you moved the entire Enhanced Steam Standalone folder to your C drive and seeing if the host file reads correctly. Also, what version of Windows are you on?

In VB, it's looking for

Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.System)

Which should return the path to your system folder regardless of where it's ran from

Danielsan

Just woke up and to my surprise there was a new modbot pm in my inbox. Thank you so much m.gorecki for Risk of Rain! Extremely curious to check it out.

JaseC

enhancedsteamfpjii.jpg

I can't remember the last time I used the client to browse the store, but nonetheless it's nice to know the functionality is there. ;) Good work!

Cth

Just woke up and to my surprise there was a new modbot pm in my inbox. Thank you so much m.gorecki for Risk of Rain! Extremely curious to check it out.

Congrats! It's a great game!

I haven't won anything since last year from Modbot.

(ok, so it's only been 9 days, but still..)

Glad to hear it's working. It'd be interested in knowing the results if you moved the entire Enhanced Steam Standalone folder to your C drive and seeing if the host file reads correctly. Also, what version of Windows are you on?

In VB, it's looking for

Which should return the path to your system folder regardless of where it's ran from

Windows 8.1.
I suppose I could try a quick test to see if it works if I put it on C:\ quick. Let me check.

Edit: No dice. Still doesn't detect it, even when run from C:\Users\Frost\Desktop\Enhanced Steam Standalone\

Note that (1) I'm not running it as administrator and (2) there are spaces in the root directory of my install location. Not sure if either would affect VB's ability to query the environment.
Unless for some reason, my environment variables aren't set...

TheBear

So, for whatever reason, the snow globe stuff has now given me a taste for trading cards & crafting shit. I am currently in the process of idling all the shitty games I own which I know I will never play but are good for trading cards. Aside from trading cards and crafting badges, are there any other ways to earn XP? I already have the Pillar of Community one.
Also how do you guys find the trading system. Do you find the cards you are after do you just end up buying them? I'm not about to outlay any real cash on this stuff but I don't mind selling cards into my steam wallet and using that money to purchase other cards.

JaseC

So, for whatever reason, the snow globe stuff has now given me a taste for trading cards & crafting shit. I am currently in the process of idling all the shitty games I own which I know I will never play but are good for trading cards. Aside from trading cards and crafting badges, are there any other ways to earn XP? I already have the Pillar of Community one.
Also how do you guys find the trading system. Do you find the cards you are after do you just end up buying them? I'm not about to outlay any real cash on this stuff but I don't mind selling cards into my steam wallet and using that money to purchase other cards.

Buying games (DLC doesn't count).

I've tried 3 times to get into it and just couldn't. I lose interest pretty quick. Thats my case with all the DL double fine games. Stupid stacking messed up when I idle and now I have 19 hours of it on my profile.

The first hour is mostly a tutorial, but once you get a companion, and unlock a couple costumes gets really interesting, the game is incredibly charming though, also playing with a 360 pad is much better.

I just buy cards to complete the set, Level 1 badges, if I get another booster sometimes I buy more cards but I don't lose my sleep with this. crafting is cool and I enjoy it but the trading aspect is very lacking and I find myself just buying cards, they are really not that expensive.

I can't remember the last time I used the client to browse the store, but nonetheless it's nice to know the functionality is there. ;) Good work!

It is pretty rare for me too.

Tabs is the real killer app for any enhanced steam. Without it the click > load > back > click workflow of the thick client is just too painful for browsing.

Cth

There's no real reason to build up XP after a certain point.

I mean, sure you get boosters/foils more often (in theory) and a larger friends list, but generally, there's diminishing returns aspect after a while, IMO.

Anyways, it's your call.. best bet to advance quickly is to "invest" in dirt cheap sets (games that everyone has, smaller sets -- IE: TF, HL, etc)

I think level 10-20 (somewhere around there) is where the drops increase/etc.

Also, you'll want to familiarize yourself with S.A.M. to speed things up.

Be prepared to sell dirt cheap, cause everyone is going to undercut you..

JaseC

Is there an equation to it? How many dollars per XP etc?

The game collector badge was originally one XP per game owned, but this was changed for the better (e.g. 2,218 games = 2,468 XP, though the games:XP ratio is more generous at the lower end of the spectrum). With regular badge crafting you can crunch the numbers yourself with the help of STCSP.

First time I looked at JaseC's profile and lol
gltFTBI.jpg

Haha, I really wish I could erase my name history. Years ago a mate and I created our own drinking game, built around the GunGame mod for CS:S, hence the random names.

Cth

Is there an equation to it? How many dollars per XP etc?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards/discussions/1/864971139099897121/#p2
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards/discussions/1/864971660995835491/

Valve said:
It's ultimately 1xp per game, but having 1 game gives you 100XP. So the amount of XP per game drops off until 1,000 games where it is exactly 1XP per game total.

1 game = 100XP
1000 games = 1000 XP
from that point onward, it is 1xp per game.
1500 games = 1500 XP

That means that some games between 1 and 1,000 are worth a fraction of 1XP so that it comes out to an even 1000 XP at 1000 games.

1-4 games:
100xp +5xp per game;
Edit: Some have brought up that this may be incorrect. I need more data to confirm;

5-9 games:
100xp +5xp per game;

10-24 games:
150xp +3.33xp per game above 10.
Or, 116.66xp +3.33xp per game.
This one was a bit tricky, I could find out the slope is of 3.33 but it didn't make sense 10 games being 150xp, eventually it got cracked so a complete formula would be:
Y = 10x/3 + 350/3, Y being total xp, x being number of games owned;

25-49 games:
150xp + 2xp per game (Y = 2x + 150, Y being total xp, x being number of games owned);

50-99 games:
175xp + 1.5xp per game (Y = 3x/2 + 175, Y being total xp, x being number of games owned);

100-249 games:
250xp + 0.75xp per game (Y = 3x/4 + 250, Y being total xp, x being number of games owned);

250-499 games:
250xp + 0.75xp per game (Y = 3x/4 + 250, Y being total xp, x being number of games owned);

500-999 games:
I could not calculate a decent formula. Have a decent pool sample that should have been enough. Seems like the formula is more complex, decreasing base amount of xp and increasing xp per game?
Edit: Seems to be another odd case. Again, need more data to confirm, try out the following formula and see if it fits (Spoilers: It probably won't):
Y = 3x/4 + 967/4, Y being total xp, x being number of games owned.

1000-1999 games:
1xp per game. Base xp seems to be gone, straigthforward maths 1:1 game/xp ratio.

2000+ games:
1xp per game as previous tier.

So there you have it. If anyone has data on the missing initial tiers, please do share so I can update the information. Or if you'd like to try and crack the 500-999 tier, I can share the data I managed to collect.

The game collector badge was originally one XP per game owned, but this was changed for the better (e.g. 2,218 games = 2,468 XP, though the games:XP ratio is more generous at the lower end of the spectrum). With regular badge crafting you can crunch the numbers yourself with the help of STCSP.

Haha, I really wish I could erase my name history. Years ago a mate and I created our own drinking game, built around the GunGame mod for CS:S, hence the random names.

It's funny, I never want to change my display name... but on PSN/XBL, I used to change my user info and avatar all the time.

But on Steam... I've had the Batman avatar with the name "Bruce Wayne" so long that I can't bring myself to do anything else with it. :D

Little giveaway I wanted to do because sharing is caring!

Btw to the eventual winner, please PM if the game doesn't activate for whatever reason.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-08042C83F1573621 - Taken by Intheflorsh. 5 entrants total.

t1388919290z1.png

Echoplx

You can just spam slight variations of your current name and it will show them in your history instead.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I knew it. I am a chronic name changer on Skype and Steam and Counter-Strike was what got me started on it. I can always tell a CS player by their name.

A Fish Aficionado is just outright brilliant.
If I had a band, this would be a great name for it, or at least an album name.

Seapunk 4lyfe

JaseC

You can just spam slight variations of your current name and it will show them in your history instead.

Yeah, I had the same thought a while back but completely forgot about the name history until just now, haha. No point in doing so now, I suppose. ;) There really ought to be an option to clear it, though.

I was so close to buying Hanna on bluray just an hour ago.

Finish what you started!

Okay... What's the deal with TrackMania Nations Forever? I can't download it or visit the forums or anything from the client or the browser. Is this game in the process of being taken off Steam or is it a glitch?

Last thought of the night:

I really like Bastion -- even though I beat it earlier and I'm moving through NG+ at breakneck speed, it's still fun -- I want to max out The Kid and the weapons and take on all those challenges for the achievements.

I know the game got a lot of hype back when it was part of Summer of Arcade for x360, but I don't recall seeing a lot of love for it lately. So I thought I'd give it some, is all, since I'm enjoying it! :D

JaseC

Okay... What's the deal with TrackMania Nations Forever? I can't download it or visit the forums or anything from the client or the browser. Is this game in the process of being taken off Steam or is it a glitch?

Have you bought United Forever Star Edition? It replaces Nations Forever.

Edit: NF has no hub because it's technically a demo.

Last thought of the night:

I really like Bastion -- even though I beat it earlier and I'm moving through NG+ at breakneck speed, it's still fun -- I want to max out The Kid and the weapons and take on all those challenges for the achievements.

I know the game got a lot of hype back when it was part of Summer of Arcade for x360, but I don't recall seeing a lot of love for it lately. So I thought I'd give it some, is all, since I'm enjoying it! :D

I still listen to the Bastion soundtrack regularly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMGlMCYdZ-Y

So good.

Lain

Yes.
Now who's laughing!

Word!
But if they do, they better deliver on the exploration part as well. No more beautiful world to look at that lets you feel caged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom