• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Solideliquid said:
Can you use an X360 wired controller to play Mass Effect?

No. Only mouse & keyboard.

I know, I know, K&M is superior, but it would have been nice for them to have kept the option in there.

Talyn

TouchMyBox said:
Just started playing Mass Effect, this might will be my 4th playthrough. :O

Is there any way to fix this game? Tearing is terrible despite enabling v-sync, and i'm getting lots of texture loading problems, all the character textures are low-res. 5870 here, so a total of 9GB of ram.
If restarting didn't fix it you might try this advice from someone over on the Steam forum:

Go to "My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Config" folder and back-up the BIOEngine.ini file. Then open up the original and search for "DetailMode=" (without the quotes). If it's set to 2, set it to 4. That should give you the most optimal texture settings.

Another thing to do while you're in there, search for "Trilinear=" (again, without quotes) and set it to TRUE.

Metalic Sand said:
Ive restarted my comp and i still cant DL torchlight. Steam is up to date and everything. Its only the Torchlight demo not working. Fuuuuu.

Edit: Reinstalled steam and torchlight demo still wont DL. Everything else on steam works, any other demo works. Just torchlight demo wont install. They really need to fix this shit.

It's fine here.

Actually, thanks for the heads up. I was thinking if I should or shouldn't buy Torchlight, now I can see for myself.

xKilltheMx said:
I want to buy Mass Effect so bad but I dont know if my comp can run it.

Intel Core Duo T7250 @ 2.00GHz
3.00 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Anybody think I'll be alright?

I had no problems with it on my 8400, with only 2GB RAM and a slower processor. Can't remember the settings, but it was around lowish-medium I believe. Elevator crash happened once, and no other bugs/glitches occurred that I remember.

Lone_Prodigy said:
I had no problems with it on my 8400, with only 2GB RAM and a slower processor. Can't remember the settings, but it was around lowish-medium I believe. Elevator crash happened once, and no other bugs/glitches occurred that I remember.

Thanks dude, this may solidify me picking up Mass Effect.
I love GAF.

Mareg

speculawyer said:
I almost bought Mass Effect but I was too buzzed to remember my credit card number. Trying to stay strong today.

I swear to God, since they have haded the option to save the credit card infos, I've been buying games left and right. Before that, I was just too lazy to get get the card unless the game was an absolute must have. Steam is a monster. An awesome one.

markot

Banned
Why is the valve backup thingy so crap >.>?

I live in Australia, we have download caps. And you have to be connected to the internet the whole time it runs. Not a problem, but it downloads gigs and gigs of data for some reason... wtf did I back up for if I still need to download so much crap >_>!?

Fix it valve!

senahorse

markot said:

I live in Australia, we have download caps. And you have to be connected to the internet the whole time it runs. Not a problem, but it downloads gigs and gigs of data for some reason... wtf did I back up for if I still need to download so much crap >_>!?

Fix it valve!

Change to a another ISP that doesn't charge for Steam downloads. I never have a problem with it on iinet.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
markot said:

Fix it valve!
You can use SteamWatch to force Steam to try and download from your ISP's servers, so it will be unmetered. That is if your with Internode or Bigpond although you can add other servers to it by editing a file. There is also a similar program for iinet here.

markot

Banned
I am in Canberra, outside of the range of the ADSL and have cable internet, and few ISPs use the cable here cause it sucks and there is a monopoly by one company and its terrible >.<

Also I dont want iinet or internode if I could use them cause their caps are so low beyond Steam that its a slap in teh face of my wallet. And doesnt reconstituate my main complaint! Steams backup thingy sucks!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
J Tourettes said:
Tagging as I d/l Steam and Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines the other day and I'm intending to get into PC gaming a little more.

I can't think of a better way to get into PC gaming than that. However, you might want to look into the fan patches for the game as they fix a number of glitches and addd quite a few things that were cut from the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknoman said:
Anyone know the release date for Serious Sam HD?
I'm conflicted because while the game was awesome buying it twice because of the new graphics makes me a graphics whore by definition. Are there any other extras?

The backup thing downloads more ? You sure ? Pretty certain it just takes the game files, and compresses them into a few smaller files (thats why it takes awhile, the progress bar isnt a download bar).

Sciz

SapientWolf said:
I'm conflicted because while the game was awesome buying it twice because of the new graphics makes me a graphics whore by definition. Are there any other extras?
At least one new blood mode and built-in voice chat. Probably some new lines for Sam. They haven't been terribly specific about changes beyond the graphics. It'll be nice to have a multiplayer community for it again, at least.

Firebrand

The Steam backup tool requires the game to be up-to-date before making a backup, other than that it shouldn't be downloading anything. And of course, if there have been updates since you made the backup Steam will need to download those before you can play it again.

Teknoman

Sciz said:
At least one new blood mode and built-in voice chat. Probably some new lines for Sam. They haven't been terribly specific about changes beyond the graphics. It'll be nice to have a multiplayer community for it again, at least.

Im sure they will have some new enemies as well.

squinters

astigmatic
Looks like my 4670 aint gonna cut it for Mass Effect. So now I gotta buy a new graphics card to get the full experience. Thanks for nothing Steam and your unresistable deals.

Don't even know why I got it. I already bought Half Life and Left 4 Dead from previous sales and I haven't played through them yet.

Btw, would anyone recommend the 5770 over the 4870?

markot said:

Fix it valve!

You do know you can just flat our copy paste your Steamapps folder to make "backups" of your Steam games, right? Just install steam on your new install, copy the folder back over, run Steam, it'll do its magic and your games will all be playable within 5 minutes.

squinters said:
Looks like my 4670 aint gonna cut it for Mass Effect. So now I gotta buy a new graphics card to get the full experience. Thanks for nothing Steam and your unresistable deals.

Don't even know why I got it. I already bought Half Life and Left 4 Dead from previous sales and I haven't played through them yet.

It'll run it just fine, just cap the framerate to 30fps and you shouldn't have any problems whasoever. It'll run it much, much better than the 360 does.

Zzoram

squinters said:

I have bought a ton of games I never ended up playing, or played only a tiny bit of, all due to Steam sales. It's just hard to resist sales.

The 4670 can't handle Mass Effect? That's actually quite shocking. What problems are you having exactly? It could be another problem, maybe an old driver conflict or something.

The 5770 is around the same power as the 4870 but supports DX11 and uses less power. I think the 4890 is the best performance/$ at the moment though if you need to upgrade on a budget. If you can wait, wait for the HD5850 to drop to $200 early next year.

squinters said:

Would of thought the 4670 would have no problems running Mass Effect, its not like the games a system killer. What makes you think it wont play it ?

epmode

It's so strange that Bioware never bothered to fix Garrus' face texture for the PC port. It's a mess. And I don't even see a good mod solution (Texmod is miserable).

Zzoram

brain_stew said:
It'll run it just fine, just cap the framerate to 30fps and you shouldn't have any problems whasoever. It'll run it much, much better than the 360 does.

Is vsync in that game capped at 30 or 60? Is it an ini tweak?

squinters

astigmatic
Zzoram said:
The 4670 can't handle Mass Effect? That's actually quite shocking. What problems are you having exactly? It could be another problem, maybe an old driver conflict or something.
It's not that the card can't handle it, but that it can't run it at full settings (except no dynamic shadows, motion blur, or grain filter) with even a 1200 x 800 resolution. I played through the ship with some small, but tolerable stuttering. But once I got on the first planet, the fps dropped to 15-25.

brain_stew said:
I'll try that, but like I said, the planet level made the game crawl.

squinters

astigmatic
Ogs said:
Whats the rest of your spec squinters ?
I have:
Windows Vista
Core i7 @ 2.66
6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM6 at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
750GB 7200 RPM9 SATA Hard Drive
475 psu

It is a Dell, by the way. I didn't build it.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i just found out i cant download any demo on steam. when i click to dl them nothing happens. I kept thinking it was MS security essentials since i recently installed that but removing that didnt fix it.

Never had a problem with steam before until this :(

Edit: apparently steam says i have other users settings changed even though its my computer and only has 1 Windows account. Go to check my settings and its showing one of the "users" as being on XP SP2 Compat mode. Its what was screwing everything up for me.

squinters

astigmatic
Ogs said:
Ah deffinately not proccesor limited then :lol Thats quite bizzare really, i assumed the 4670 could comfortably eat pretty much anything. Could always try it with everything on medium i suppose. To be honest id would be good to hear from someone else with e 4670 and what there experience was like.

Edit - Guru3D seems to think its run ok'ish - http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review/8
Yeah, it's weird. When I first get on the planet and look behind me on what I assume to be just a static background, I get a smooth 45-60 fps. When I turn around and view the environment, the game just laaagggs.

Oh well, I was planning to get a new video card after the holidays anyways. At least now I'll have a great game waiting. Thanks for all the help guys.

Zzoram said:
Is vsync in that game capped at 30 or 60? Is it an ini tweak?

Like all UE3 games, you can cap the framerate to whatever you like in the config file.

squinters said:
It's not that the card can't handle it, but that it can't run it at full settings (except no dynamic shadows, motion blur, or grain filter) with even a 1200 x 800 resolution. I played through the ship with some small, but tolerable stuttering. But once I got on the first planet, the fps dropped to 15-25.

I'll try that, but like I said, the planet level made the game crawl.

Try forcing triple buffering through D3DOverrider, should get you a significant fps boost compared to normal double buffer vsync.

Does the Dell PSU you have come with a 6 pin PCIe power connecter? I'm assuming no, so its going to be a bit of a hack to hook up external power as Dell don't include molex adpaters on their PSUs anymore either. I'd say check if it takes standrd ATX PSUs and if it does pick this up at the same time:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7341016&cm_re=ocz_500w-_-17-341-016-_-Product

squinters

astigmatic
brain_stew said:
Like all UE3 games, you can cap the framerate to whatever you like in the config file.

Try forcing triple buffering through D3DOverrider, should get you a significant fps boost compared to normal double buffer vsync.
Thing is, I'm already doing exactly that. Thanks to one of your threads, no less.

squinters said:
Thing is, I'm already doing exactly that. Thanks to one of your threads, no less.

Seems you like a nice high framerate then, I'd go with a 4890 in that case. Fwiw I always found the framerate in Mass Effect to be very variable which is why I cap and 30fps and go insane with the settings. You're not forcing AA are you as it has a huge impact on performance like it does in all UE3 games due to the MRT setup the engine uses. I'd take this card personally:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161299&cm_re=4890-_-14-161-299-_-Product

See my advice about Dell and PSUs above before ordering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom