• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
VGChampion said:
I might have picked up Mass Effect if Dragon Age hadn't just came out. I still haven't really got into the 360 version which I ended up getting because I won some contest. :lol

I'm not going to spend $10 just to spend it because a game is discounted.
TheOneGuy said:
You are not a true Steam user! GET OUT!
You have uncovered an infiltrator, a lowly console peasant trying to infiltrate the headquaters of the glorious PC master race! No one of the PC master race would pass down an offer like this.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
VGChampion said:
I might have picked up Mass Effect if Dragon Age hadn't just came out. I still haven't really got into the 360 version which I ended up getting because I won some contest. :lol

I'm not going to spend $10 just to spend it because a game is discounted.
Shepard?

If you already have the game, why buy it again? Totally with you

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
:lol Mass Effect runs at sub 10 FPS with everything turned off and the resolution at at 640x480. Time to upgrade!
as soon as I find a job :|

GEP

Banned
Would you guys say pc mass effect is a huge improvement over the 360 version? I couldnt bare to finish the game for ai issues and controls.(load times sucked as well as framerate)

GEP said:
Would you guys say pc mass effect is a huge improvement over the 360 version? I couldnt bare to finish the game for ai issues and controls.

I enjoyed the controls much more than the 360 version, but of course the AI is the same. Aside from that, the inventory system was overhauled, and the interface in general is fine tuned for the PC.

kuYuri

GEP said:
Would you guys say pc mass effect is a huge improvement over the 360 version? I couldnt bare to finish the game for ai issues and controls.

I've played the prologue and so far, I definitely think the PC version is wayyyyyyy better. If it continues to perform as well as it has for me (45+ fps average), it will easily be better then 360 version.

markot

Banned
Peronthious said:
I enjoyed the controls much more than the 360 version, but of course the AI is the same. Aside from that, the inventory system was overhauled, and the interface in general is fine tuned for the PC.
Hope ME2 gets more pc loving >.< On par with DA!

GEP said:

The tactical command menus are fantastic and are reason enough for you get it on PC.

GEP

Banned
I got up to the part where you fight Saron? and end up on some greeny planet with a giant underground bunker. Then my 360 failed and I never got back to the game. How far along was I from the end? Im definitely making a female character this time no more ugly space marines.

I know the description is vague sorry.

Twig

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
You have uncovered an infiltrator, a lowly console peasant trying to infiltrate the headquaters of the glorious PC master race! No one of the PC master race would pass down an offer like this.
I send my dwarves to take down this dastardly foe.

Alex

PC version is better. The 360 version runs like crap, there are more than a few areas in the game where the framerate will nosedive into the singles and it's nowhere near 30 90% of the time. Gave me a headache a few times.

Loading times are better, Mako controls, oh yeah and HOTKEYS for your damn abilities. Dunno why there weren't any in the 360 considering the controller realestate that wasn't really used

careksims

GEP said:

A huge improvement! Especially when it comes to the ship's elevator loading times. :D

Holy shit I just started playing Mass Effect and this is leagues ahead of the Xbox360 version. Between the insane frame rate I am getting, 1650x1080 resolution, and the newly overhauled interface, it is definitely worth the price of admission. Fighting is so much more fluid and enjoyable now. Seriously it is like an entirely new game to me, I am going to go through this again. I think this has convinced me to cancel my 360 pre-order for Mass Effect 2 if it comes out on release day on Steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Archie said:
:lol Mass Effect runs at sub 10 FPS with everything turned off and the resolution at at 640x480. Time to upgrade!
as soon as I find a job :|

You are in for a treat. Hold off playing till you get that upgrade because ME maxed at 1080p with or without AA forced looks stunning.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zefah said:
With the release of Borderlands and Dragon Age Steam started region locking games by the user's IP address. No longer does it matter what region you bought the game in, you will not have access to it until the official release date in whatever region your IP address is physically located.
To tell you the truth, i'm ok with that. I mean, the game IS coming out on your region. They have to, somehow, filter which ips can access the game at which dates.

What bothers me is games that are NOT becoming available on my country. In that case, technically, Steam wouldn't need to have a ip check for my country, since the game is not coming out here anyway.

If the ip region check is only in place when the game IS coming out, that only makes sense. Otherwise, we're screwed.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Anyone else having trouble with ea store? I can't get it to let me check out the dlc.
Only trouble i have with the EA Store is that it's the EA Store. Sorry that doesn't help you though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
grif1020 said:
You are in for a treat. Hold off playing till you get that upgrade because ME maxed at 1080p with or without AA forced looks stunning.
I was impressed with what I saw, so I can't even begin to imagine ME at 60fps and 1680x1050. Granted, the last time I played ME was on a SDTV and I could barely make out the text. :p

zoku88

Almost tempted to get ME, but not sure how well my computer would run it (or if it would overheat)..

And there doesn't seem to be a demo...

Archie said:
I was impressed with what I saw, so I can't even begin to imagine ME at 60fps and 1680x1050. Granted, the last time I played ME was on a SDTV and I could barely make out the text. :p
I am not exagerating, it is a night and day difference with the console version. The only reason I got the console version was because I thought it was developed for the console in mind with a shitty PC port, but I was completely wrong.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Anyone else having trouble with ea store? I can't get it to let me check out the dlc.

I don't think that the DLC from the EA store is compatible with the Steam version just in case. I know the Mirrors Edge DLC isn't.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ElJuice said:
https://wendys.promo.eprize.com/bigscore/

This promo gives a $5 off code for use on the EA Store.

Just wanted to give some appreciation for this person! I did the promo, got the 5 dollar credit to use on Mass Effect, and randomly won the NCAA 2010 game (which I'll try and sell once it arrives, hopefully sometime before the next iteration drops).

So, MAJOR THANKS!

Sloegr

LovingSteam said:
I don't think that the DLC from the EA store is compatible with the Steam version just in case. I know the Mirrors Edge DLC isn't.

The Pinnacle Station DLC from the EA Store is Steam compatible.

morningbus said:
Just wanted to give some appreciation for this person! I did the promo, got the 5 dollar credit to use on Mass Effect, and randomly won the NCAA 2010 game (which I'll try and sell once it arrives, hopefully sometime before the next iteration drops).

Nice :D

itxaka

Defeatist
Is there a way of launching a steam game without steam?

I'll explain. I got an eeePC and I want to install both runaway games. BUT I don't want steam to be installed, not the steam service or anything as the computer specs are quite low so I'm trying to be minimal on what I install on it to not fuck up the performance on the rest of the system.

So is there any way of installing steam, installing the games and removing steam while the games are still there?

Thanks!

SmZA

So I'm playing through ME again, this time as a male arsehole (which the game calls a Renegade). I'm planning to skip all the sidequests and extraneous dialogue and run straight through the campaign. The PC experience is far better than the 360 one so everyone should be taking advantage of this deal.

Still love the soundtrack, it's the only video game soundtrack I've purchased (I do own others which came as freebies).

On the game's Steam info page there's something about running as Administrator under Vista; I'm running under Windows 7 and can start it straight from Steam. Also there are no activation requirements beyond Steam itself so you can ignore any of those old reviews that complain about it.

SmZA

itxaka said:
So is there any way of installing steam, installing the games and removing steam while the games are still there?
No. But you can set Steam to be offline, and start the games from their own shortcut, so hopefully all Steam will add will be a little extra time starting up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
itxaka said:

I'll explain. I got an eeePC and I want to install both runaway games. BUT I don't want steam to be installed, not the steam service or anything as the computer specs are quite low so I'm trying to be minimal on what I install on it to not fuck up the performance on the rest of the system.

Thanks!
I'd recommend at least trying the games with Steam installed (you need it to download the game anyway) to see if it actually impacts your performance noticeably.

kuYuri

fresquito said:
Can anybody help me instal de Bring Down the Sky DLC? When I try it tells me ME isn't installed :-/

You have to make sure to start the game at least once before installing BDtS. You can also try right clicking on the game > properties > local files > verify integrity of game cache.

graywolf323

itxaka said:

Thanks!

the first Runaway game is on GOG and $2 off this week

that's your best bet for that game based on what your looking for

Steam doesn't have a large footprint though

right now it's only taking up 12MB of my 4GB of RAM and when I have a game running (Mass Effect for this example) it goes up to about 30MB, so I wouldn't worry too much

mattalos

King of Awesome
Salaadin said:
Dont buy Mass Effect...dont buy Mass Effect...dont buy Mass Effect. Help!
That was my thought process, too. But I succumbed. It's $10. I spent that on lunch today. Excited to try the PC controls/new interface/item management/graphics.

careksims said:
A huge improvement! Especially when it comes to the ship's elevator loading times. :D

Really?

one of the reasons I fear replaying Mass Effect is because of the elevators. If they removed them on PC, then it's bought.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I'd never noticed Steam's Windows 7 integration before. Hot

dq66ix.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
TheOneGuy said:
Well, you know, once you mention crazy ways of getting around copy protection (which I did above), people ask where to get them. I'm not the guy to ask that though. Quite the opposite, actually.

Damn... that Mass Effect is so tempting. I already played through once on 360, but if I ever play it again I'd rather do it on the PC. Problem is I'm not sure if I want to play it again, though I might do it once the ME2 hype train gets to me.

McBacon said:
I'd never noticed Steam's Windows 7 integration before. Hot
Yeah, the recently played list is really nice. This is the first time I've actually used jumplists with any regularity.

Twig

Banned
wmat said:
Well, you know, once you mention crazy ways of getting around copy protection (which I did above), people ask where to get them. I'm not the guy to ask that though. Quite the opposite, actually.
Oh, I must've missed it.

Oh wannabe pirates will you ever cease to amuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom