• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Daigoro said:
anybody know what is up with Steam installing Microsoft DirectX every time i install and run a new game?
Yeah, it's kind of annoying but AFAIK it's harmless so I just let it do its thang.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Daigoro said:
anybody know what is up with Steam installing Microsoft DirectX every time i install and run a new game?
Not Steam's fault, and not actually necessarily an installation process.

Games that use DirectX usually are accompanied by an installer that checks whether the newest version is installed, and if it isn't, installs it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Daigoro said:

It's the game, not Steam. I think it's just the DirectX redistributable the game was programmed with.

edit: beaten. what-ever

Daigoro

ok, thanks guys. wansnt sure if something was wrong. it just seemed to have happened quite a few times in the past few weeks. i think one of those update may not have been directX though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Daigoro said:
This usually happens with any game that has a redistributable DX routine, as explained earlier.

It usually only happens for one or two days after i bought the game (like it did with Borderlands). Then it goes away. Some detection routine that doesn't work, probably.

vangace

I find it hard to believe that none of the Homeworld games are not available for download at any of the online stores including Steam.

vangace said:
I find it hard to believe that none of the Homeworld games are not available for download at any of the online stores including Steam.

Especially confusing since it's not like the trademark is in limbo or anything. THQ owns the IP, and they already have several other games on Steam.

Perhaps a plan to put it out in the ramp up to Homeworld 3?

I can dream

fresquito

WTF! I was playing Mass Effect and my vehicle collapsed into a wall. I couldn't release it from the wall, not even pressing "N". I had to load the latest save, which for some reason was one made two hours prior to the point I was. And you know, I pressed F6 more than once :-/

I hate when things like these happen.

Almak

LovingSteam said:
Serious Sam HD The First Encounter up for pre-purchase for $17.99
Any other month, I'd be all over that. Now though, I think I'll sit this one out. Not entirely sure my laptop would be up for it either. Hmm.
Didn't know they're releasing it for PC to begin with. Thought it was XBLA only.

Salaadin

anyone having trouble connecting right now? it seems theres an update but it wont let me get it.

EDIT: and with that post, it immediately started working. Thanks gaf!

Just started playing Mass Effect, this might will be my 4th playthrough. :O

Is there any way to fix this game? Tearing is terrible despite enabling v-sync, and i'm getting lots of texture loading problems, all the character textures are low-res. 5870 here, so a total of 9GB of ram.

fresquito

TouchMyBox said:

Is there any way to fix this game? Tearing is terrible despite enabling v-sync, and i'm getting lots of texture loading problems, all the character textures are low-res. 5870 here, so a total of 9GB of ram.
You must restart the game for changes to take place.

Firebrand

TouchMyBox said:

Yeah, just restart the game for the settings to take effect. I was a bit disappointed with the textures before doing so, and yeah, it looks pretty great now (except for the texture popins).

It's safe to assume this game is somewhat glitchy like previous Bioware games? I didn't play more than 5 minutes before i had to load from autosave because some guy in my group was firing his pistol non-stop, even in cutscenes. :lol

Looking forward to finally playing through it for the first time.

I got Mass Effect on Steam and going through this thread, I found that you can get both DLC for free. First one I got using the Wendys coupon and the EA Download. Second one requires you to enter the ME1 CD key, but where do you find that with the steam version?

MotherFan

Damn ME at $10. Really want to pick it up here but I want to get DA:O and I just got a new 5770 off newegg. I don't think I can justify it to my wife :(

Edit: To find the CD key, right click on ME on your games tab and there should be an option to view it.

kuYuri

Linkzg said:
I got Mass Effect on Steam and going through this thread, I found that you can get both DLC for free. First one I got using the Wendys coupon and the EA Download. Second one requires you to enter the ME1 CD key, but where do you find that with the steam version?

Right click on game > view CD key.

BTW, it's the opposite. The EA download one is the second DLC, the one that asks for CD Key is first DLC.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Strider2K99 said:
Right click on game > view CD key.

BTW, it's the opposite. The EA download one is the second DLC, the one that asks for CD Key is first DLC.
Yeah for $10 and a few minutes on the internet you have the game and both expansions, pretty good deal.

So as it turns out, anybody trying to play mass effect with a modern operating system (vista, 7) needs to run Mass Effect in XP SP2 compatibility mode if you want it to perform properly.

I heard the loading times in mass effect were horrible, does the pc version fix this? does it depend on how good your computer is? if there fixed ill pick this up righ tnow.

kuYuri

Firebrand said:
Should I be adding the DLC before I've played through the game or after?

Launch the game at least once. You don't have to play it, you can just get to the main menu and then quit.

Mrbob

TouchMyBox said:
So as it turns out, anybody trying to play mass effect with a modern operating system (vista, 7) needs to run Mass Effect in XP SP2 compatibility mode if you want it to perform properly.

Interesting. I have Win 7 64 and ME runs, but there is definitely a lot of tearing. Now I know what to do!

TouchMyBox said:

Never had an issue with Vista x64, and I've had the game for a year. D3DOverrider gets rid of the tearing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah, I've played ME across Vista 32, Vista 64, and 7 64, never having an issue on any OS.

K.Jack said:
Yeah, I've played ME across Vista 32, Vista 64, and 7 64, never having an issue on any OS.

I've played the game across Vista and 7 and across a 5870 and a 8800gt and kept having the same issue pop up, so it should be fairly widespread.

That said, I doubt many people would even notice it.

Sciz

LovingSteam said:
Serious Sam HD The First Encounter up for pre-purchase for $17.99
Finally. Sold.

Now to just wait for the actual release. And then Second Encounter. And then Serious Sam 3.

Good times.

Linkzg said:

How did you get it to work on the eastore? The eastore keeps not loading right after I sign in so I can't checkout.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Ive restarted my comp and i still cant DL torchlight. Steam is up to date and everything. Its only the Torchlight demo not working. Fuuuuu.

Edit: Reinstalled steam and torchlight demo still wont DL. Everything else on steam works, any other demo works. Just torchlight demo wont install. They really need to fix this shit.

I have a problem regarding Steam accounts. You see, my little brother loves Half-Life and he's obsessed with Garry's Mod. For about a month he's been using my account to play Garry's Mod, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike: Source, and pretty much every game that GM utilizes. I've decided to make an account for him so the pop-ups and other hassles caused by the shared account end. Is there a legal way to reinstall Garry's Mod, The Orange Box, and Half-Life 2: Game of the Year Edition (which I own as retail and includes CSS) without paying again? Otherwise the total cost will be $60.

ChoklitReign said:
I have a problem regarding Steam accounts. You see, my little brother loves Half-Life and he's obsessed with Garry's Mod. For about a month he's been using my account to play Garry's Mod, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike: Source, and pretty much every game that GM utilizes. I've decided to make an account for him so the pop-ups and other hassles caused by the shared account end. Is there a legal way to reinstall Garry's Mod, The Orange Box, and Half-Life 2: Game of the Year Edition (which I own as retail and includes CSS) without paying again? Otherwise the total cost will be $60.
You have to re-buy.

Slavik81

Daigoro said:
Many games only install the portion of DirectX that they need. If one game updated your DirectX, that doesn't necessarily mean that it updated everything that the other game needs.

tjohn86

ChoklitReign said:

Seriously?

I want to buy Mass Effect so bad but I dont know if my comp can run it.

Intel Core Duo T7250 @ 2.00GHz
3.00 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Anybody think I'll be alright?

xKilltheMx said:
I want to buy Mass Effect so bad but I dont know if my comp can run it.

Intel Core Duo T7250 @ 2.00GHz
3.00 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Anybody think I'll be alright?

That 8400 is pretty weak. Maybe on lower res/settings. Maybe.

Twig

Banned
tjohn86 said:
Seriously?
That's an honest and legitimate question. There is precedence for it with various other services, games and otherwise. Don't be a douche.

The answer is no. With Steam, you have to buy them all again to play on a separate account.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ChoklitReign said:
You can play in offline mode. But he wont, obviously, be able to play online.

ChoklitReign said:

Why don't you just set the Steam client to offline mode on his machine? You'll both be able to use the games that way he'll just lose online functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom