• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Hits an All-Time High Marketshare on Steam Hardware Survey

TwiztidElf

Since the thread got bumped I'll provide an update and my experience.

I installed Linux Mint21 on my main home PC.
The installation experience that I had is not ready for a normie. I did have to troubleshoot. The issues I had were:
1. Dual monitor setup. I had to go into the BIOS and disable secureboot to get my dual monitor setup working.
2. Speakers. It was something simple, and it was my own dumb fault (not quite Mooreberg level). Frustrating none the less.
I would rate my setup experience as more difficult than post-WindowsXP Windows, and easier than pre-WindowsXP Windows.

Once up and running though, I have been super impressed.
Small footprint.
Slick, fast response and performance.
Does everything I need and want it to do.
LibreOffice as part of the distribution is nice. I was never going to pay MS for Office, so I never had it.
Hypnotix in the distribution was a nice surprise. Japanese free to air TV at the press of the button (no Abema obviously though).
Hasn't crashed once for me. And I've been on it for 2-3 weeks now.
No MS spyware/bloatware.

Browsers.
Firefox comes in the distribution. I've been using Brave for so long, I'd almost forgotten how awful most websites are.
Using Firefox and seeing all these aneurysm inducing background ads - ugh.
Installed Brave as my main again, and Opera as a third option. Installing Chrome or Edge feels like defeating the purpose of getting away from big tech.

Gaming.
I certainly understand and respect this being most folks reason for Linux reluctance.
I can't really comment as I don't PC game much. Mostly PS5/Switch for gaming.
I've installed Steam, and it shows my whole library, which can also be filtered down to the titles that have a native to Linux version, but I haven't had the time to install or try anything.
I haven't tried any of the Wine/Herioc/Proton stuff yet, so I can't say anything about that stuff. I've read a few articles and they seem very positive. Maybe I'll update again at a later date when I've had time to play around with PC games on Linux.

Last edited:

Crayon

Since the thread got bumped I'll provide an update and my experience.

I installed Linux Mint21 on my main home PC.
The installation experience that I had is not ready for a normie. I did have to troubleshoot. The issues I had were:
1. Dual monitor setup. I had to go into the BIOS and disable secureboot to get my dual monitor setup working.
2. Speakers. It was something simple, and it was my own dumb fault (not quite Mooreberg level). Frustrating none the less.
I would rate my setup experience as more difficult than post-WindowsXP Windows, and easier than pre-WindowsXP Windows.

Once up and running though, I have been super impressed.
Small footprint.
Slick, fast response and performance.
Does everything I need and want it to do.
LibreOffice as part of the distribution is nice. I was never going to pay MS for Office, so I never had it.
Hypnotix in the distribution was a nice surprise. Japanese free to air TV at the press of the button (no Abema obviously though).
Hasn't crashed once for me. And I've been on it for 2-3 weeks now.
No MS spyware/bloatware.

Browsers.
Firefox comes in the distribution. I've been using Brave for so long, I'd almost forgotten how awful most websites are.
Installed Brave as my main again, and Opera as a third option. Installing Chrome or Edge feels like defeating the purpose of getting away from big tech.

Gaming.
I certainly understand and respect this being most folks reason for Linux reluctance.
I can't really comment as I don't PC game much. Mostly PS5/Switch for gaming.
I've installed Steam, and it shows my whole library, which can also be filtered down to the titles that have a native to Linux version, but I haven't had the time to install or try anything.
I haven't tried any of the Wine/Herioc/Proton stuff yet, so I can't say anything about that stuff. I've read a few articles and they seem very positive. Maybe I'll update again at a later date when I've had time to play around with PC games on Linux.

I find running games through proton to be at least as reliable as native linux versions. Sometimes those linux builds get left in the dust and not updated for years. Go into compatibility in the steam client options and pick support all titles or something like that.

Nice to hear things are going well!!

FateTrap

Neo Member

Firefox is a very good browser.
To block ads you can use the uBlock Origin extension.
If you want extra privacy on Firefox, you can add the Privacy Badger to Firefox.
Here you see a screenshot of uBlock Origin in Firefox 127.0.1 on OpenBSD.

1RsW3T6.png

Top Bottom