• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.e.r.g

Uhm, why the hell do publishers add DRM to Steam games? Ok, some might keep the one the retail has, even though it's stupid, but my retail Crysis has no DRM so why would they add it to the Steam release?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
b.e.r.g said:
Uhm, why the hell do publishers add DRM to Steam games? Ok, some might keep the one the retail has, even though it's stupid, but my retail Crysis has no DRM so why would they add it to the Steam release?
You can copy and crack Steam games out of the Steam folder, maybe that has something to do with it. I'm not sure though..

Saterium

How does the 5 activation thing work? Is it like Far Cry 2 where if I uninstall it through Steam then I'm given back my activation?

procrastinator

Neo Member
b.e.r.g said:

Most likely because its a simple carbon copy of the other digital distro versions like D2D, which needs securom for copy protection.

Volcynika

Hm, I'm running 64-bit Windows, and I hear that the Steam version is only 32-bit? Might have to go retail or something, still deciding...

Dementia

Axion22 said:
Maximum Edition: $29.99

SOLD!
Wish it was 50% off the Maximum Edition too... $20 would be perfect.

But for $15 I think I'll at least get Warhead, since I've already played through Crysis once (though not at ideal settings). I was wondering though, beside the single player campaign, does the original contain any engine extras/multiplayer/anything that Warhead doesn't?

datamage

Volcynika said:
Hm, I'm running 64-bit Windows, and I hear that the Steam version is only 32-bit? Might have to go retail or something, still deciding...

*** Currently only the 32-bit version is available.

Yup, and from what I've gathered, the 64-bit version does give you a few more fps, which in Crysis, it can mean a lot. :|

Volcynika

datamage said:
*** Currently only the 32-bit version is available.

Yup, and from what I've gathered, the 64-bit version does give you a few more fps, which in Crysis, it can mean a lot. :|

:/

Might just use a $10 credit and order from Amazon then!

Dipswitch

So does Crysis run half way decently on mid range rigs these days? I played the Crysis Warhead expansion pack on my machine (Intel Quad Core Q9550, HD4870 and 4GB of ram) at 1920x1200 a while back, and it ran ok. I've heard the original runs much worse than the add-on though, so I'd rather not buy this now if it's gonna run like ass at the same resolution.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been waiting a long time to get Crysis.

But wait, you people are saying the retail version has 64-bit support and no SecuROM (I thought I'd heard this was removed from the original Crysis, at least on Steam)...and Steam has NO 64-bit patch available AND a 5-machine installation limit? Does the EA install revoker utility at least work on the Steam version? :| I know I own Crysis Warhead so I've probably used up one activation already anyway, but still...

Blizzard

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
The retail version of both Crysis and Crysis Warhead have SecuROM 7, but only Crysis Warhead has a 5 activation limit.

http://knowyourgame.reclaimyourgame.com/tiki-index.php?page=List+of+games+with+SecuROM+7
Well, now that IS peculiar, because I installed Steam's Crysis Warhead on Vista 64-bit I think, and checked my machine pretty thoroughly for SecuROM services/files/registry entries. Unless I missed something obvious, the only thing I could find was the directory with the actual game keys, and I thought that was Securom level 1 or 2. If anyone has any exact verification on the PC Steam version, please let us know. :)

sk3tch

Crysis Maximum Edition - so bought.

Disheartened to read that it is only 32-bit. I'm running Win7 64-bit. Ah well, I run at 720p typically since I have everything hooked up to my 50" plasma. So I imagine the performance with my E6600/4GB/GTX260 will be just fine.

Zzoram

Ya I think only Warhead has a 5 activation limit. However, I think the EA revoker tool works, and even if it didn't, you can call EA and they'll reset it for you.

Starting with The Sims 3, EA has moved completely away from activation limits. I'm sure none of their future games will get it, but Crysis, Spore, and Red Alert 3 were their experiments in that area and I guess they found that it didn't reduce piracy but did increase bad will.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't understand the logic of not having the 64-bit patch available on Steam if it's available in RETAIL though. Is the patch not publicly available? Or did I miss something and there's not a 64-bit version at all?

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
I don't understand the logic of not having the 64-bit patch available on Steam if it's available in RETAIL though. Is the patch not publicly available? Or did I miss something and there's not a 64-bit version at all?

Crytek didn't bother to tweak it to be compatible with the Steam version. Remember how they stopped patching Crysis when they released Warhead even though Crysis has a game-breaking bug in DX10 with ATI cards on the last level? Crytek's support was pretty mediocre for Crysis. Even Epic provides better support for Unreal Tournament 3 even though they basically abandonned PC for consoles before Crysis even came out.

If Crytek supports their engine as poorly as they support their game, they have no chance winning customers away from Epic.

Blizzard said:

There is a 64-bit version, it's just that Crytek for whatever reason did not want to provide a copy of the game with it to Valve.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I am disappointed...but I might as well get it for $15 and play in DX9 mode eventually, I suppose.

And yeah, everyone hates on the Unreal Engine 3, but Epic actually does have community mod support for UT3, plus the new UDK that's free for everyone. Crysis does have mod support too, but I haven't seen updates like the UT3 Black update. *shrug*

Zzoram

epmode said:
As a new Windows 7 64 user who knew nothing about this issue until today, Crytek can go die.

I bought Warhead to flex my HD4870 when I got it last year, but I didn't buy Crysis specifically because Crytek didn't patch the ATI game breaking bug in the last level.

Warhead runs pretty well and is fun.

Fuck you, Crysis. My current computer can't play it on Medium (mayyyybe Mainstream in WH) but there is a chance that I can buy a new computer for Christmas. Is it worth it to buy it now and wait until I have a more powerful computer that I'll enjoy it with its full potential?

Twig

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Fuck you, Crysis. My current computer can't play it on Medium (mayyyybe Mainstream in WH) but there is a chance that I can buy a new computer for Christmas. Is it worth it to buy it now and wait until I have a more powerful computer that I'll enjoy it with its full potential?
There will be an after-Christmas sale for all Steam games. I can't guarantee Crysis will be 50% off again, but if you're not sure if it's worth it you could wait.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You can play the 32 bit exe of Crysis just fine in a 64 bit OS and it was only a couple FPS boost (as in like 3 frames). You would not be able to tell which bit version you were running. Not that big a deal honestly so please stop posting like your 30$ just went down the drain.

datamage

grif1020 said:
You can play the 32 bit exe of Crysis just fine in a 64 bit OS and it was only a couple FPS boost (as in like 3 frames). You would not be able to tell which bit version you were running. Not that big a deal honestly so please stop posting like your 30$ just went down the drain.

Well the issue isn't that the 32-bit executable won't work, of course it will. For me it's the fact that those 3-4 extra fps can mean the difference between 25 fps or 28-29fps. Doesn't seem like much, but one is smoother than the other. More importantly, the retail version of Crysis comes with the 64-bit exe, so why doesn't Steam include it? Crytek's fault? Maybe, but it's still bs.

Without the sale, the Steam version of Crysis is actually more expensive than the retail, so you pay more for less. Heh.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Damn, steam is a mind-reader in the past few weeks all the games i've considered buying have all got their prices cut.:lol crysis warhead for $15 BUY BUY BUY!
But i have two quick questions.
I have two machines that i want to install crysis warhead on, with secrurom is it going be a hassle having them installed via steam? like say for example, when i finish downloading and installing on the first pc, will i be simply able to copy and paste the files to a other computer, without having the need to re-download it?
The main PC i'm going play crysis warhead on is a 64-bit machine, am i going to compromise much when it comes to performance? i can play crysis at around 40-50 FPS iirc.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
datamage said:
Well the issue isn't that the 32-bit executable won't work, of course it will. For me it's the fact that those 3-4 extra fps can mean the difference between 25 fps or 28-29fps. Doesn't seem like much, but one is smoother than the other. More importantly, the retail version of Crysis comes with the 64-bit exe, so why doesn't Steam include it? Crytek's fault? Maybe, but it's still bs.

Without the sale, the Steam version of Crysis is actually more expensive than the retail, so you pay more for less. Heh.

The way Crysis handles aiming you wont be able to tell the 3-4 frame difference. Trust me. If you can tell a 3-4 frame difference give me that set of eyes you have. We have people here on Gaf who can't tell a 30 frame difference. 10, I would let you guys complain but 64-bit has been over-rated in gaming as it's half-assed. You get no additional effects and at times there won't even be a difference in FPS.

fresquito

Zzoram said:
I bought Warhead to flex my HD4870 when I got it last year, but I didn't buy Crysis specifically because Crytek didn't patch the ATI game breaking bug in the last level.

Warhead runs pretty well and is fun.
So I have a 4850, do you mean I won't be able to finish the game? Great, not buying it then.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
fresquito said:
So I have a 4850, do you mean I won't be able to finish the game? Great, not buying it then.
That's funny, because i haven't finished crysis yet, but the most powerful pc i have, has a ATI card.:lol guess i'll play it on that, get to the last level, then switch to my inferior PC that has a nvidia.:lol

Gestahl

fresquito said:

It's only an issue in dx10 mode I think. I forced it into dx9 and finished the level no problem.

datamage

grif1020 said:
The way Crysis handles aiming you wont be able to tell the 3-4 frame difference. Trust me. If you can tell a 3-4 frame difference give me that set of eyes you have. We have people here on Gaf who can't tell a 30 frame difference. 10, I would let you guys complain but 64-bit has been over-rated in gaming as it's half-assed. You get no additional effects and at times there won't even be a difference in FPS.

For $15 I may eat the minor loss in performance. I'd still like to know the difference between Steam/retail on Activation limits. (not Warhead.)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
grif1020 said:
Well, you _can_ address more RAM. So that's worth something. I'm still puzzled noone has made a half-decent finite element simulator for environment simulation in a game yet; 64-bit + lots of RAM pretty much enables that..

Okay guys, quick question from the OP.

Is it possible to get a game removed from your games list? Basically, I got the wrong key sent to me after I bought it online, and it will only download MW2 in Russian right now. I got a new one sent to me, but since MW2 is still in my list, I can't replace the key.

I've already opened a ticket to Steam support, but after 24hrs still no response..

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What's up with the crysis pack price? I get to pay an extra $15 for the maximum pack because ... it's maximum?

6h6qhi.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
wmat said:
Well, you _can_ address more RAM. So that's worth something. I'm still puzzled noone has made a half-decent finite element simulator for environment simulation in a game yet; 64-bit + lots of RAM pretty much enables that..

Crysis will never use up 3.5 gigabytes of ram let alone anymore (what a 64-bit exe would allow I am assuming). That is absolutely ludicrous. I have a 64-bit OS because I do like having 4+ gigs of ram but I do not expect a game to use that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom