• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I guess I may not get Crysis after all. :( Maybe some day.

I just did some checking, and unless I'm greatly mistaken, here are my options:

1. Buy retail. I can probably find it for $30 from somewhere. It's like $105 at a featured merchant on Amazon, lol. According to that website, retail means there's no activation limit, but there IS a disk check (arrrrgh) along with SecuROM 7. If I do this, I also presumably get the 64-bit version.

2. Buy Steam. I get it for $15, but not only is there an activation limit, apparently the EA deauthorization tool WILL NOT WORK WITH CRYSIS because the game was released before May 2008. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Meaning that if I switch computers or install new OSes (I might be upgrading in the next year or two) I permanently lose licenses unless I want to call EA and try to get them to give me more.

I'm also still confused at how I didn't find anything on my system after installing Crysis Warhead on Vista 64 Home Premium (I think). Did I just miss the location of the supposed kernel driver or whatever?

Blizzard

Banned
ElNarez said:
If I remember correctly, the activation limit is only on Warhead.
Yeah, but this is the problem with the thread. People are saying all sorts of different things, and the website links about SecuROM says that there's no activation limit for the version with disk check.

But the Steam STORE PAGE itself says on the righthand side that there's a 5-activation limit, so I assume I have to trust that. *shrug*

Psy-Phi

Don't worry about the activation limit. People blow that shit out of proportion. I used to be one. But I've got Mass Effect and Spore, and Bioshock, and a number of others through steam or retail. Haven't run into the "no more activations" yet, and I know I've installed Spore and ME more than 5 times (Spore's been on two separate Mac OS installs, and a Windows install on the same mac book as well as being installed 3 times on my desktop (because i format frequently and never remember to revoke).

If it comes down to it, I'll call them and tell them what's up. But all of these games people cry over activation limits I've yet to run into a problem. So I don't see what the fuss is about. I understand the principal behind it sucks but in practice, it seems to me that they reset activations every few months or something.

Mass Effect has been installed 4 times too. But I just bought it again on Steam because it was so cheap...some games they lift the limit on too. I believe Bioshock was one? But I could be wrong.

You are supposed to be able to call the publisher/security company and plead your case. Give them your serial number place you purchased it from and receipt (keep your steam purchase receipt emails) and you will be good to go. Or so I've read. As I've said, have yet to bump into any limit problems.

Firebrand

Overlord has been reduced further in price from €5 to €1.50.

Does Overlord: Raising Hell require the original game? Doesn't say so on the webpage, but seems slightly misleading to include the original in the package if it's is already in the Raising Hell product.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dammit, I can't find my Dead Space disk, and the $30 digital version is teasing me.

I hate Steam.

Javaman

23set0k.jpg

Lolz

datamage

Damn these Steam deals! I'm thinking of getting the Overlord package and I don't even know what it's about. :lol Someone care to fill me in? And should I just skip 1 and go straight to 2?

datamage said:
Damn these Steam deals! I'm thinking of getting the Overlord package and I don't even know what it's about. :lol Someone care to fill me in? And should I just skip 1 and go straight to 2?
Its pikmin, except they like to kill things.

Edit: Might as well get both. But its probably better to go for 2 right away. Some people find the gameplay to wear thin by the time they finish the first one.

datamage

Lostconfused said:
Its pikmin, except they like to kill things.

Edit: Might as well get both. But its probably better to go for 2 right away. Some people find the gameplay to wear thin by the time they finish the first one.

Thanks- grabbing the demo for 2 right now to see what it's like.

sk3tch

Blizzard said:
2. Buy Steam. I get it for $15, but not only is there an activation limit, apparently the EA deauthorization tool WILL NOT WORK WITH CRYSIS because the game was released before May 2008. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Meaning that if I switch computers or install new OSes (I might be upgrading in the next year or two) I permanently lose licenses unless I want to call EA and try to get them to give me more.

I bought Crysis on Steam, installed it (win7 x64) and ran the tool...confirmed the above...

Code:
No Authorizations found.
Your computer is not authorized to play any EA PC games released after May 2008 with machine authorization limits. Contact Customer Support at http://support.ea.com for more information.

It does run beautifully on my E6600/4GB/GTX260...

Been wanting to try Overlord for ages, so that deal was way too good to pass up.

Valves games are the only ones i've bought on release day the last few years. I'm content waiting and being a cheap ass, by doing all my gaming through their insanely awesome deals.

dani_dc

Ah, I've been interested in Overlord for a bit now, doubt it will run on my PC but for that price it's hard to ignore.

I really hate steam at times.

Javaman

Spotless Mind said:
Been wanting to try Overlord for ages, so that deal was way too good to pass up.

Valves games are the only ones i've bought on release day the last few years. I'm content waiting and being a cheap ass, by doing all my gaming through their insanely awesome deals.

That's what I usually do as well. It's amazing how many games you can get on the cheap if you time shift your game purchasing. Also you get to see improvements as rapidly as staying on the cutting edge, just a couple of years later at 1/5th of the cost.

Damn. At such prices, I just go ahead and buy games I know I'll probably never play. I just feel like I'm being a patron of the arts that I appreciate.

JdFoX187

Banned
speculawyer said:
Damn. At such prices, I just go ahead and buy games I know I'll probably never play. I just feel like I'm being a patron of the arts that I appreciate.
I'm the same damn way. Except, I've been wanting to try Crysis, but have been too craven to buy it. But this came up and I couldn't resist. As far as Overlord goes, I've seen both these played, but never thought about them. Fuck, for $8, hard to resist.

Big-E

Fuck so tempted but I got so much to play already and need to show some restraint as money is pretty tight. Must resist.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm quite tempted to get Overlord...I liked the Demo on 360 but didn't have the time...and it's only 8 something....=[

Sloegr

Is Overlord 1 worth playing, even without the expansion? I don't feel the need to get the complete pack, but if Overlord is a good game, I'd be happy to grab it.

Blizzard

Banned
sk3tch said:
I bought Crysis on Steam, installed it (win7 x64) and ran the tool...confirmed the above...

Code:
No Authorizations found.
Your computer is not authorized to play any EA PC games released after May 2008 with machine authorization limits. Contact Customer Support at http://support.ea.com for more information.

It does run beautifully on my E6600/4GB/GTX260...
Thanks for confirming. I'll probably give in and get it anyway, even though I'd be installing it at least twice on Windows 7 RC/full.

speculawyer said:
Same here. My current computer can't even play Crysis on Mainstream settings. So much for mainstream, I bought it a year ago.

graywolf323

well I caved and bought the Crysis pack as well

okay maybe not so much caved as I was going to buy it anyways, just wanted to wait until my paycheck got deposited today (yay for being available right at midnight on Fridays)

Javaman

graywolf323 said:
well I caved and bought the Crysis pack as well

okay maybe not so much caved as I was going to buy it anyways, just wanted to wait until my paycheck got deposited today (yay for being available right at midnight on Fridays)

You must bank at Wachovia like I do. :(

fatty

ElJuice said:
Is Overlord 1 worth playing, even without the expansion? I don't feel the need to get the complete pack, but if Overlord is a good game, I'd be happy to grab it.

I'm wondering that as well. I'm also reading that the expansion includes the first game, is that correct?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think the expansion works without the first game being installed; i.e. it's not included.. could be wrong though.

First one seems pretty fun so far, can't get too deep into it. Doesn't look half bad with some AA and effects cranked either:
293cd92.jpg

I bought Crysis . . . but I'm trying to resist Overlord. I don't even know what Overlord is and have no interest in it . . . yet I'm still tempted to buy it.

Zzoram

speculawyer said:
I bought Crysis . . . but I'm trying to resist Overlord. I don't even know what Overlord is and have no interest in it . . . yet I'm still tempted to buy it.

The Steam effect :lol

I'm holding off until boxing week, then I might splurge like a madman.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
speculawyer said:
Pikmin clone where you play as an evil dude.

graywolf323

x3n05 said:
Steam I love you and I hate you, Overlord pack bought, game count reaches 116...

the game count on your profile page is inflated since things like authorization tools (Batman), editors (like Torchlight has) etc. appear as a "game"

either way though I'm around 200 >_<

speculawyer said:
What is Pikmin? I know it is a Nintendo game about little creatures but other than that I know nothing.
You are a badass guy and a lot of goblins are running after you. You can order them around to do things and attack enemies. There are different goblins for different tasks and stuff. It's a real cool concept. The game is 3rd person all the time.
IIRC Brutal Legend uses a bit of this style as well.

52club

Steam is like that hot girl from your past that you can't seem to get out of your life. Every time you say you will take a break Steam has a trick up its sleeve to to draw you back in.

Banzaiaap said:
Okay guys, quick question from the OP.

Is it possible to get a game removed from your games list? Basically, I got the wrong key sent to me after I bought it online, and it will only download MW2 in Russian right now. I got a new one sent to me, but since MW2 is still in my list, I can't replace the key.

I've already opened a ticket to Steam support, but after 24hrs still no response..
Anyone, after two days still no response from Valve. :(

MNC

Sorry Banzai, no idea :( I know for a fact you can't get games removed from your list, but seeing as it's a language issue, you might be able to get some different files or something..

If I have to buy 1 Overlord game, which would be the best to purchase? Trying to keep my steam purchases at a minimum :lol

Edit: Holy shit Overlord 1 is less than a lunch for crying out loud

Dynoro

Hawkian said:
...eight... seventy-five?

So fucking much for no more steam purchases this year. :lol
I wonder how this will hold up with the Chrsitmas Day - New Year sale :lol
..though I'm off to buy Overlord now

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Basically what I did last year at Christmas was ask for money. Then I waited for the sales to go wild and bought a ton of stuff. Do it. Steam demands it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom