• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

vazel said:
And game hasn't aged well at all. It's basically deathmatch against bots before you can move on to the next area. Painkiller is much better for mindless action there is a better flow in Painkiller.
I've largely ignored your continuous bashing of the game whenever someone brings it up, but the only way I would ever compare it to "deathmatch against bots" is if the game is L4D and you're playing solo with the special infected turned off. :lol Painkiller is no better in that regard, it simply has more downtime and doesn't force the player to deal with as many simultaneous enemies as Sam does.

Sanjay

Does Painkiller have co-op? and also which Painkiller are you guys referring to when you mention its a better choice then Serious Sam HD.

Wings of Prey Now Available
January 8, 2010, 10:13 am - Valve - Product Release

Wings of Prey is based around the large-scale aerial combat and ground military operations of World War II. Players can participate in some of the war's most famous battles piloting fighters, battle planes and bombers across a range of thrilling missions. Wings of Prey is available now for 10% off until January 15th!

CID the Dummy Now Available
January 8, 2010, 10:10 am - Valve - Product Release

CID the Dummy is a platform game that grabs you straight away with its amusing blend of action and puzzle-filled game play. Based around the multiple opportunities for a Crash Impact Dummy to get into mischief, the game blends classic platform elements such as timed jumps, collecting pick-ups, defeating enemies, and challenging boss battles with more cerebral elements such as puzzles, clever weapon use and route finding.

vocab

Sanjay said:
Does Painkiller have co-op? and also which Painkiller are you guys referring to when you mention its a better choice then Serious Sam HD.

No.

Painkiller from people can fly. None of the sequel garbage from other studios.

Sysgen

SSHD was intense and will really test your fps skills and is easily worth the 6.79 they're asking. No brainer. I bought it on release for $20. Takes a bit until they start throwing the kitchen sink at you but they will.

Slavik81

Nooo! Steam took off the descriptions that go with the Steam ratings. I no longer get 'Eagles Soar" for a 10 point rating.

Doytch said:
True, but you can't amortize the cost over 100% of the people who bought your game. You'd have a tough time getting a 50% conversion since a tonne of people never take their console/game online, or don't follow the news about that game, or won't spend money on DLC at all (no CC, aversion to online payments, principals).

I'd bet that given the raw numbers and research, it'd be trivial to see that it's a much safer model to price your DLC highly and cater to 1-5% of the people who bought your game. Otherwise, we wouldn't continue to see the model that Bethesda pioneered with Oblivion.
For now, I agree. It's a total rip-off to most of the audience.
I think that we'll see a move towards free DLC, though, as Digital Distribution takes over on the console side. Once developers start benefiting more directly from sales that are >3 months after launch, a better business model will become viable.

There's not much point in putting out free DLC when the benefits of the new sales it spurs lines Gamestop's pockets, rather than yours.

Volcynika

Slavik81 said:
Nooo! Steam took off the descriptions that go with the Steam ratings. I no longer get 'Eagles Soar" for a 10 point rating.

They took that away months ago. I was sad then. I'm sad now that you reminded me!

I really want to give Unknown Worlds my monies in support of NS2, but they have yet to get Valve to confirm that their preorders will carry over to a Steam activation.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Yes, the only other I know is Crysis with a 5 activation limit - there are more than just Crysis though.

fuck that sucks. I just recently finished crysis and i could see myself coming back to it amny times.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xapati said:
I have a question:

If I delete the Witcher, will it keep my saved games?

When you delete the game from Steam it usually leaves the files that are in My Documents, so if the saves are there, they should be fine.

ZombieSupaStar said:
Wings of Prey uses starforce (3 activation limit)

Where did you read this? Its not in the games store page.

If its true, then I don´t have to consider a buy anymore. To user starforce in 2010 must be on the most stupid decisions in game publishing I have heard of.

"5 Machine activation" That means no more than 5 machines can have it activated at one time correct?

I can re install on same machine or when I get a new cpu and it wont matter correct?

Kabuki Waq said:
"5 Machine activation" That means no more than 5 machines can have it activated at one time correct?

I can re install on same machine or when I get a new cpu and it wont matter correct?

It basically means that you cannot activate the product more than 5 times. If you do go over the limit then you have contact EA or SecuROM support to get your activations back.

I'm not quite sure if a new CPU installation would use up an activation limit though. I haven't played many games that have SecuROM activation limits. I know for TAGES, at least the version used in The Chronicles of Riddick, a simple bios update will use up one activation.

Sanjay said:
You can still use the DRM removal tool, still sucks but better then nothing.

http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/gamesList.html

It doesn't work for the original Crysis I believe.

epmode

Xapati said:
I have a question:

If I delete the Witcher, will it keep my saved games?
I'm pretty sure they're kept around but it never hurts to make a backup before uninstalling something.

ZombieSupaStar said:
Wings of Prey uses starforce (3 activation limit)

Where are you reading this? Google's not turning up a thing connecting Wings of Prey with starforce, and as stated above, it definitely isn't on the store page.

Edit: Alright, according to a guy here the retail version has starforce, but I don't see anything saying whether the Steam version retains that protection or not. Wouldn't it say on the store page if the game had external DRM?

Peronthious said:
Where are you reading this? Google's not turning up a thing connecting Wings of Prey with starforce, and as stated above, it definitely isn't on the store page.

Edit: Alright, according to a guy here the retail version has starforce, but I don't see anything saying whether the Steam version retains that protection or not. Wouldn't it say on the store page if the game had external DRM?

Yes, they should tell you.

Read more about it here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=824

Anyone have a solution for a high resolution Steam Icon? Steam is the only oddly small icon on my desktop. (Actually, iTunes too. Get on that, Apple.)

Zzoram

crimsonheadGCN said:
It never disappeared. I think mainly Eastern European and Russian developers use it now a days.
Someone should tell them to just release games on Steam without 3rd party DRM. It will save them money by not having to license Starforce, and improve the appeal of their games.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The PC version of Devil May Cry 3 is a terrible buggy mess, right? Bayonetta has put me into an action game mood.

Zzoram

Archie said:
The PC version of Devil May Cry 3 is a terrible buggy mess, right? Bayonetta has put me into an action game mood.

The PC version of DMC4 is amazing though, so you could always get that. Get a gamepad for your PC though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
DMC4 sucks though. :/ DMC3 SE, NBG and Bayonetta are the only games in the genre I like.

edit: and DMC3 is $20 bucks on Steam. I can get the PS2 version for $5 on Goozex, lol. Devil May Cry and Steam don't get along well!

edit2: And reading online, the PC port of DMC3 is atrocious. Apparently it runs better on PCSX2. :lol I might just grab the PS2 version and emulate it when I get a new PC up and running.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've not really played DMC3 before, but Bayonetta has me in the mood to go back and try it. The only DMC I've spent any real time with is DMC4, unfortunately.

Is the PC version unplayable, or something?

I just fired up Mass Effect PC for the first time. Am I missing something or are there no AA options? Also, I have textures set to ultra high or whatever the highest settings are and as I'm making a character, the armor/gun/some face textures are a blurry mess? I'm guessing I can just force AA through the Catalyst Control Center, but still, I expected more graphics options.

Edit: I restarted the game and the textures look much better now, thank god.

ArjanN

Rez said:
I've not really played DMC3 before, but Bayonetta has me in the mood to go back and try it. The only DMC I've spent any real time with is DMC4, unfortunately.

Is the PC version unplayable, or something?

The PC version of DMC3 is a bad port, but it's still playable. I think people shit on DMC4 way too much though. Even if it isn't as good as DMC3 was, it's still one of the better games in the genre.

The mod on the wings of prey forum argued that they have install limitations because if it was just a CD key there is too much leverage to abuse it by installing it as many times as the person wants lol. So ridiculous. I will wait until a 75% off sale or the DRM is removed.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
LovingSteam said:
The mod on the wings of prey forum argued that they have install limitations because if it was just a CD key there is too much leverage to abuse it by installing it as many times as the person wants lol. So ridiculous. I will wait until a 75% off sale or the DRM is removed.
Why does steam have the DRM then? dosen't the entire nature of steam, prevent that kind of abuse from happening like eg - giving your cd key to friends to install on their pcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom