• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Capcom should do a DMC3/DMC4 bundle...that would be sweet.

I didn't even know DMC3 was on steam. Shame about the issues for the PC version. I would buy DMC3 for 5 dollars on a weekend sale.

LovingSteam said:
The mod on the wings of prey forum argued that they have install limitations because if it was just a CD key there is too much leverage to abuse it by installing it as many times as the person wants lol. So ridiculous. I will wait until a 75% off sale or the DRM is removed.

Yeah it's pretty pathetic "There is no limit! you can email us and request us to give you the privilege to install the game you bought!"

Oh well, saves me $45 USD. Interest went from pretty interested to avoid as if it were an std.

TouchMyBox said:
Yeah it's pretty pathetic "There is no limit! you can email us and request us to give you the privilege to install the game you bought!"

Oh well, saves me $45 USD. Interest went from pretty interested to avoid as if it were an std.
:lol :lol Yup. I will just take that money and spend it on ME2 WOOHOO!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I will never buy a game on Steam that has extra 3rd party DRM unless it is something that I absolutely must have. So far Batman and Crysis are the only games I have purchased that use 3rd party DRM. Limiting installations has to be the most ridiculous thing ever.

edit: wow that Wings of Prey game doesn't even list that it has 3rd party DRM in the Steam page? Stealth DRM is despicable.

wmat said:
Especially on Steam, it really has no place there.
One of the main reasons for buying games on steam is that you can redownload and play when you require it, having limits just ruins the service.

I understand some devs and pubs might want to be "safe" and use them but starforce is not one of them.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I really wish Valve told all third parties to drop their external DRM and just use Steam. I really want Dawn of Discovery when I get a new computer, but the activation limited DRM turns me off from the game.

How secure is Steam anyway as a protector? I would think if valve disallowed extra DRM a good bunch of games on steam would go elsewhere.

Zefah said:
I will never buy a game on Steam that has extra 3rd party DRM unless it is something that I absolutely must have. So far Batman and Crysis are the only games I have purchased that use 3rd party DRM. Limiting installations has to be the most ridiculous thing ever.

edit: wow that Wings of Prey game doesn't even list that it has 3rd party DRM in the Steam page? Stealth DRM is despicable.

Yeah, Batman is the only game with 3d party DRM which i knowingly purchased. However batman's drm scheme is actually sane and legitimate. 4 installs a month is enough to thwart "casual piracy" (if such a thing exists), and I don't think I'll ever have to format 4 times within a month while having the burning need to play batman. If publishers must be fuck-heads, at least take a look at the method Eidos employed.

Diablohead said:
How secure is Steam anyway as a protector? I would think if valve disallowed extra DRM a good bunch of games on steam would go elsewhere.

It's as effective as every other DRM solution out there. In other words it's not effective at all. That said, it seems that steam drm does eliminate zero-day piracy as seen in the case of MW2, which is much more than can be said about SecuROM.

Since this would make steam the best DRM available, it would be incredibly foolish for publishers to skip out on 70% of the market because they wish to give fallacio to Sony DADC.

Twig

Banned
Diablohead said:
Not very, AFAIK.

But neither are the rest.

MNC

wmat said:
It's pretty much the same as any other protection measure (meaning almost pointless).
As a protection measure, it is pointless. With the play anywhere, games in a single account which you can take anywhere you'd like, along with the countless of sales, I think Steam is a somewhat countereffective piracy measurement. Atleast on a small scale.

MNC said:
As a protection measure, it is pointless. With the play anywhere, games in a single account which you can take anywhere you'd like, along with the countless of sales, I think Steam is a somewhat countereffective piracy measurement. Atleast on a small scale.
A good way of seeing it, instead of fighting piracy with brute force give them a reason to buy, steam imo is one of the best things in pc gaming for a long time with all your games on the web, install when you like as long as you are online to receive the files. Steamcloud is also becoming a more requested item with online saves, good for people with multiple computers and laptops in the home and at the offices.

Diablohead said:

As good as it gets for day zero piracy, and honestly, that's about the only sort of piracy you can ever expect to cut out. Wings of Prey is already cracked, they'd lose nothing by removing Starforce from Steam installs.

Archie said:
I really wish Valve told all third parties to drop their external DRM and just use Steam. I really want Dawn of Discovery when I get a new computer, but the activation limited DRM turns me off from the game.

Retail copies have had all DRM removed via a patch, fyi.

To summarize the situation.

1. It contains DRM that requires activation online. You get 3 activations and 10 deactivation from start. Then you have to ask yuplay, that operates the games server if I have undertand it correctly, for more activations.
2. Its a DRM from the developers of Starforce, but not the old Starforce DRM system. They say its a servers side DRM, with no files being installed on your computer.
3. The reason for the use of the DRM in the Steam version is that the developers want to keep the the online communites from yuplay and Steam together.
4. It is not stated on the store page for the game that game requires this kind of activation. The developers say that Valve are responsible for that page.
5. One the developers hinted that they may remove DRM in the future in all versions, but not for at least a year.

Things are getting clearer, but its not good enough IMHO. These kinds of activations invalidates many of the reasons to buy games on Steam.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is Serious Sam remake worth the $7? I remember Evilore saying it sucked...
There is nothing wrong with the game except the lack of a dedicated server ability, but we were told they should be added sometime.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is Serious Sam remake worth the $7? I remember Evilore saying it sucked...

I think Evilore's comments were just on performance, but I haven't had any issues that make it unplayable (4890, 4GB RAM, 3.0 ghz).

Mrbob

Archie said:

Would be nice. There really is no need for 3rd party DRM with steam games, ever. The Wings of Prey situation is a joke, and the Dawn of Discovery situation isn't much better. One of the reasons I didn't buy the borderlands DLC was due to the 5 activation limit. I would have picked it up on sale, and I know about the revocation tool but don't care. The fact that it is there is annoying enough and quite frankly, is wrong.

mileS

I really wish I had got Trine while it was super cheap... Couldn't run it at the time. Now I have my new PC I just finished trying the demo with maxed out settings and I'm completely blown away. It really does seem like its worth $19.99 but I still feel stupid for not getting it while it was $2.50. I have a feeling it probably won't go back on sale for a long time :(

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
mileS said:
I really wish I had got Trine while it was super cheap... Couldn't run it at the time. Now I have my new PC I just finished trying the demo with maxed out settings and I'm completely blown away. It really does seem like its worth $19.99 but I still feel stupid for not getting it while it was $2.50. I have a feeling it probably won't go back on sale for a long time :(
I think it only went down to $7.50, but I know that's no consolation.

Smash88

Banned
TouchMyBox said:

I was reading more about it, and apparently the DRM used is from the makers of Starforce, but with a different name. I guess many people might not know it. Starforce will RUIN YOUR COMPUTER DO NOT INSTALL IT OR THEIR NEW PRODUCT - FrontLine ProActive - So many problems with Starforce, and nothing good ever comes from it.

SmZA

MNC said:
Before Steam, casual acquaintances who found out you were a PC gamer would invariably want to trade copies of games as a social lubricant, like cooks trade recipes. Refusing was awkward if you didn't know the person too well but saw them often (eg. work colleagues). Now you can just say all your games are on Steam and you don't want to risk your account. It's perfect for passive-aggressive gamers who want to combat piracy but don't like confrontation.

Paulathon said:
Before Steam, casual acquaintances who found out you were a PC gamer would invariably want to trade copies of games as a social lubricant, like cooks trade recipes. Refusing was awkward if you didn't know the person too well but saw them often (eg. work colleagues). Now you can just say all your games are on Steam and you don't want to risk your account. It's perfect for passive-aggressive gamers who want to combat piracy but don't like confrontation.

lol wat

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I did my fair share of installing friends' PC games on my computer and lending my games to install on their computers back in the day. I don't think I ever did so with mere casual acquaintances, though. I did have a guy ask to exchange Steam account information, though. That was weird and I politely refused.

Dunlop

mileS said:

It only went down to $5 on the second to last day of the boxing week sale.

Not sure of how long it is, I just started playing it (with my newly aquired wired 360 controller for my PC) and I think it is still worth the $20.

It's pretty amazing. Steam might soon have a peak of 3 million concurrent users logged in (currently the peak is 2.7 million). I believe the service hit a peak of 2 million concurrent users about a week before Live did, which was in early November 2009.

It's really grown a lot over the last few years.

Slavik81

Dunlop said:
It only went down to $5 on the second to last day of the boxing week sale.

Not sure of how long it is, I just started playing it (with my newly aquired wired 360 controller for my PC) and I think it is still worth the $20.
It's about five and a half to six hours long.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh shit, Bioshock 2 is right around the corner, I'd forgotten.

can't wait :D

Fredescu

I remember a bunch of people avoiding Anno 1404 during the sale because of the DRM. Just thought I'd point out that game.co.uk have it for 10 pounds plus 5 pounds shipping. That works out to be around $25 US which was the sale price iirc. The retail version had the DRM removed in a patch.

Jirotrom

Archie said:
DMC4 sucks though. :/ DMC3 SE, NBG and Bayonetta are the only games in the genre I like.

edit: and DMC3 is $20 bucks on Steam. I can get the PS2 version for $5 on Goozex, lol. Devil May Cry and Steam don't get along well!

edit2: And reading online, the PC port of DMC3 is atrocious. Apparently it runs better on PCSX2. :lol I might just grab the PS2 version and emulate it when I get a new PC up and running.
DMC4 does not "suck"

ArjanN

Slavik81 said:

Double that if want to get the achievements, which are pretty good. Trying to get all the experience bottles really makes you explore the levels.

mclem

Slavik81 said:

Longer, for me. Fifteen levels, and once the first couple were out of the way each one was taking me half an hour or so. I did make a point of hunting down all the chests, but not all the experience.

Having said that, I was left a little disappointed, the various physical puzzles were far too easily solved by the mage; it was only the last two levels where I really had to think (And only the very last level where I ever actually properly 'died')

There's the germ of a good game there, but at the moment the player - particularly the mage - is just too powerful.

Twig

Banned
mclem said:
Longer, for me. Fifteen levels, and once the first couple were out of the way each one was taking me half an hour or so. I did make a point of hunting down all the chests, but not all the experience.

Having said that, I was left a little disappointed, the various physical puzzles were far too easily solved by the mage; it was only the last two levels where I really had to think (And only the very last level where I ever actually properly 'died')

There's the germ of a good game there, but at the moment the player - particularly the mage - is just too powerful.
lol the thief is totes the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom