• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

dLMN8R said:
A new announcement today though is that both Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, and Far Cry 2, will be released on Steam.

Awesome stuff UBi

JavaMava said:
I got a stick. Is this a must buy?

Yes

Also COJ for $10? The demo was nothing special but only $10 so I might just get it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dizzan said:
So I'm a PC gaming noob and I'm picking up a decent gaming laptop soon.

Can I use Steam if I live in Australia?
Are there any other devs rumoured/announced to be jumping on borad Steam in the near future?

Thanks in advance.

Yea you can use steam in aus. Buying stuff can be a bitch though, most of the games will be at the price listed then converted and your bank will take their x%, so its nice and cheap most of the time. Downside is that not all of the games are available to us, blame the publishers on that one.

AZ Greg

Ok, I have a question. This thread is the closest to being relevant to that question and I figure this thread will have people who can help me.

I'm relatively new to PC gaming, being that I finally bought a capable PC, and am wondering how to handle all the content that is downloaded to your computer when you join certain servers. For example, I was playing Team Fortress 2 a little while ago and when I joined a server it started downloading sounds and other stuff. In the past when I played HL2: DM it downloaded a user created map and other items. That map, and I assume all the other stuff it downloaded, was crap and I exited the server almost immediately. Now how do I get rid of this stuff being that it gets mixed with the other necessary files? And is there any way to prevent being able to join these types of servers or any signs that you are about to join one? I'm just trying to keep my stuff organized and avoid all the crap out there.

Mo0

Go to YourSteamDirectory\steamapps\YourSteamUsername\team fortress 2\tf\maps\ for the maps, and unless I'm mistaken, the files in the sound directory are also optional ones.

Which reminds me, holy CRAP Steam's directory structure is amazingly dense. Always been my one major gripe with it.

dLMN8R

If you look through the options, you can choose between allow all downloads, allow all downloads except sounds, or disable all downloads. I'd recommend the no sounds option, as many custom maps are great.

As for deleting the stuff, you can dig through your Steam directory and find the sound files and such but it's really just not worth the trouble. They don't take up much room and they won't harm anything negatively.

Twig

Banned
AZ Greg said:
Ok, I have a question. This thread is the closest to being relevant to that question and I figure this thread will have people who can help me.

I'm relatively new to PC gaming, being that I finally bought a capable PC, and am wondering how to handle all the content that is downloaded to your computer when you join certain servers. For example, I was playing Team Fortress 2 a little while ago and when I joined a server it started downloading sounds and other stuff. In the past when I played HL2: DM it downloaded a user created map and other items. That map, and I assume all the other stuff it downloaded, was crap and I exited the server almost immediately. Now how do I get rid of this stuff being that it gets mixed with the other necessary files? And is there any way to prevent being able to join these types of servers or any signs that you are about to join one? I'm just trying to keep my stuff organized and avoid all the crap out there.
Well.

Two posters above me already answered your questions. But I'm going to tell you now that you probably shouldn't disable map downloads (sounds are okay, that shit is annoying), as some of the customs are really fun. I mean... that's part of the beauty of PC gaming. All the custom content! :D

Mo0

Also, the one easy way to make sure you play no custom content is to find servers that run 24/7 maps. That's actually my favorite way to play, I have a bunch of 24/7 servers for different maps on my favorites, so I can choose what gametype I'd like to play at that moment.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
AZ Greg said:

this has been an annoyance even back when steam was the plague for pc gaming. personally i've tried to stay away from servers like that, but mainly out of habit. back in the day, and even now to some extent, that shit took forever to download...and there's still no ETA or total number of files, so it always went on for ???????????? minutes.

Dizzan

MINI Member
dLMN8R said:
I'm sure you can use Steam in Australia, there just might be some limitations on deals and differences in prices.

A new announcement today though is that both Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, and Far Cry 2, will be released on Steam.

evlcookie said:
Yea you can use steam in aus. Buying stuff can be a bitch though, most of the games will be at the price listed then converted and your bank will take their x%, so its nice and cheap most of the time. Downside is that not all of the games are available to us, blame the publishers on that one.

Awesome guys, thanks for the replies.

Far Cry 2 = awesome!

Okay this is pretty damn awesome and if you like the Incredible Machines I recommend getting it. I haven't played much because I have to go out, but it has been solid so far. Looks like it will have an awesome multi-player component including sharing labs with the world. I don't know if that means creating challenges others can solve or posting completed labs so others can see your cool setups, but there is some kind of online posting board in the game. One neat thing about single player is that each challenge has primary objects and also secondary objectives to get more points. For example get one ball into the container before the other. Or break one vase, but not the other. That was what I have seen so far.

Only beefs so far:
1. If you don't have that Ageia PhysX card you need to install the Ageia PhysX I guess the software emulator equivalent: http://www.nvidia.com/object/ageia_8.04.25_whql.html. Unless if I missed something the developer or Valve didn't mention you needed to install it to play, but it took me a while to find out why my game was not starting.
2. Online play is not working right now. Seems to be a problem on the game developer's side, not Steam. My guess is more then likely will be patched.
3. Tutorials are a little hard to understand, but once you get in the game you will get the jist of it.

Some screen shots:

358dwzl.jpg

1zx2ir.jpg

fz4xg2.jpg

dLMN8R

The game looks cool, I saw the trailer when they put it up a couple weeks ago, but the visual style seems very cluttered. Not what you want when you're trying to scope out interesting puzzle combinations....

ghst

thanks for the laugh
BUY CALL OF JUAREZ.

aside from the fundamentally broken whip mechanics, this really is superior story-driven fps fare. the western atmosphere is totally nailed, and has some of the most convincing fps voice acting this side of half life 2. the gunplay is a blast in a slighty-random 19th century way too.

BioHazard

ghst said:
BUY CALL OF JUAREZ.

aside from the fundamentally broken whip mechanics, this really is superior story-driven fps fare. the western atmosphere is totally nailed, and has some of the most convincing fps voice acting this side of half life 2. the gunplay is a blast in a slighty-random 19th century way too.

QFT. Call of Juarez has some excellent story plot twists and is a very entertaining shooter, with some great visuals. It's ten bucks people, BUY IT, I am sure you will get at least $10 worth of enjoyment out of it.

EDIT: Also, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is on sale for $30 (40% off) until Monday. Savage 2 is also on sale until Friday (10% off). Although these may be US only, I cannot confirm.

Probably might buy Call of Juarez (10$ can't pass up), HAD TO BUY Crazy Machines 2 immediately.

I am a HUGE Incredible Machines fan from waaaaaaaay back and the second I saw the screenshots I knew I had to buy. Here's hoping it lives up.

rabhw

I also picked up Crazy Machines 2, but I'm not exactly clear on what the multiplayer options are... Is it just sharing of levels? Or is there some sort of 2-player co-op mode?

theultimo

Teknopathetic said:
Probably might buy Call of Juarez (10$ can't pass up), HAD TO BUY Crazy Machines 2 immediately.

I am a HUGE Incredible Machines fan from waaaaaaaay back and the second I saw the screenshots I knew I had to buy. Here's hoping it lives up.
CoJ is amazing, and well worth it. Heck, one of the attacks with the preacher is to Quote Scripture to your enemies. Never gets old.

rabhw said:
I also picked up Crazy Machines 2, but I'm not exactly clear on what the multiplayer options are... Is it just sharing of levels? Or is there some sort of 2-player co-op mode?
I'm not sure either. I hope it is sharing user created challenges that someone else needs to solve.

theultimo

Illuminati said:
I'm not sure either. I hope it is sharing user created challenges that someone else needs to solve.
Looks like they took a boom blox type of approach, where you make a level and other people try to play it. Also seems to have a Viva Pinata feel to the sharing of Labs. Note: the nvidia PHYSX stuff in there requires a physx card OR a 9800 Geforce or higher. Drivers were just released allowing you to play with it.

Sibylus

Banned
Team Fortress 2 Update Released
June 23, 2008, 5:09 pm - Jason Ruymen - Product Update
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

Reduced Medic's unlockable requirements to match that of the Pyro's. Medic players now meeting the requirements will receive their unlockables shortly after joining a server

Fixed Spy sapper viewmodel animation popping

Fixed another issue with the Hot on your Heels achievement

Incorporated the new Russian fonts into the base Team Fortress 2 fonts. Fixes the missing fonts problem when running in Russian with English VO

Awesome the Crazy Machines 2 online is working now. You can create and share your challenges online along with rating them. This has alot of potential.

Sibylus

Banned
bdouble said:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/883/883929p1.html

Now thats a pretty interesting announcement. Really makes me consider buying one of those. I could see a second more traditional controller coming from this. Goes right back to what Valve was saying earlier about control pad support for Steam. :D
Whoa whoa whoa, a "pistol grip" controller equal to the mouse that will be officially supported by Valve games? (Such as the Orange Box?)

Zomgwant.

Gowans

bah IL2 still not available on steam in the UK.

Also why on earth are they charging $23 for Happy Tree friends?!?!?! its $10 on Xbox Live Arcade.

Akia

A $4.99 cocktease.

Not worth it. I'm still angry that the series didn't get finished. Oddly enough that's only 3 dollars less than I payed at launch. Circuit City > All for Steam titles.

Twig

Banned
Worth five bucks! I got it during the after-Christmas sale last year. Shame we'll never get a sequel. If they improved on the series with each episode, it might have turned out to be an awesome experience.

Flunkie

Banned
Call of Juarez was awesome, and a steal for $10. I bought it when it just came out on the PC for $40, and I still thought it was worth the money. Excellent game. :)

Sin Episode 1 was great. It's worth 5$ easy, if only for Arena mode. The guns (even though there's only 3) feel soooo good. Arena mode should be featured in more shooters.

It's even more worth it considering it comes with the original SiN. You can see first hand where the "tiny room" style of map originated.

Stitch

Gold Member
Volcynika said:
The SiN thing is a package and comes with the original game......and it is only $5....

Damn you Steam!

heh, yeah, when i clicked on purchase i realized that it comes with sin 1 and sin 1 multiplayer :D awesome deal.

dLMN8R

Sin Episodes is definitely worth the $5 if you don't have it. Sucks that they didn't continue it, but it's still good stuff.

Mrbob

sonicspear64 said:
I wish someone could gift me SiN. I've always wanted to play it. Not having a credit card sucks. :(

Buy it in a store.

This is what I did when it first came out. Shame the other episodes never got finished.

bee

sonicspear64 said:
I wish someone could gift me SiN. I've always wanted to play it. Not having a credit card sucks. :(

steam accepts paypal, paypal can just use a bank account

evlcookie said:

I find using Paypal the best method as they charge your bank in your home currency so no nasty bank charges.

saelz8

Day of Defeat Source Free Weekend
2zitybo.gif

Also, new low price until the 10th.
2dha72w.jpg

It's not as good as 1.3, but it's a good game in its own right. It's definately worth $4.99.

Buy Me

Some of the new things in the recent update.

Palermo
24n1dua.jpg

Introducing Palermo, a new Day of Defeat: Source map from Magnar "insta" Jenssen. This map's design was inspired by the Italian port city of the same name and was also based in part on "Salerno", a popular community map. Palermo features five capture points, four of which often flip back and forth between teams during play. The central plaza's two-person capture point is the map's key strategic area.

Steam Community Integration
29f6qys.jpg

Steam Community avatars will now appear next to each player name in the scoreboard, on the end-of-round panel, and as part of the newly-added freeze cam. Also, when you have friends playing with you in the game you'll be able to spot them using the new Friend icon next to their avatar on the scoreboard.

Achievements
2vbo10y.jpg

There are now 51 unique achievements that you can earn for your play in-game. We've designed them to cover a variety of different play styles and specializations, and to recognize some of the rare and amazing feats people pull off while playing. For example, Jack of All Trades rewards players for earning a kill with a Machine Gun, Sniper Rifle, Rifle, Sub-Machine Gun, and a Grenade all in a single life.

Player Statistics
34nlanl.jpg

Day of Defeat: Source players can now show off their own stats and achievement progress in the Steam Community, using a method similar to Team Fortress 2's gameplay stats. Detailed statistics including usage of each weapon and class will be gathered displayed, giving players an at-a-glance view of each other's specific strengths.

Freeze Cam
30wwljc.jpg

Tired of getting killed by snipers without being able to tell where the fire is coming from? Day of Defeat: Source now has a freeze camera of your attacker, which will let you know where they are (or where they were when they shot you) and also allows you to take a screenshot for posterity. Also, if you score three consecutive kills against another individual player, you will be called out as "dominating" them.

$5, eh? Maybe I should pick it up...don't know if I'll get around to playing it for a long time (still addicted to TF2), but that's a great deal...

Woffls

I love Steam because I can pay the same for games that you guys do in the US and I don't get boned on import tax and all the other relevant taxes. In fact it works out better because of the exchange rate ^_^ <3 Valve.

Twig

Banned

I just bought it for $20 a couple weeks ago but never bothered to play it. ):

(I love DoD, but I'm too addicted to TF2 right now to get into DoD:S. If S is even half as fun as the original, it's easily worth the $20 I played, let alone the $5 right now.)

Xapati

So I just bought Sin and it's downloading now. After a bit of research the Arena mode sold me; sounds like mercenaries, which I liked a lot. Also 5$ isn't too bad and if the game is bad it's only a few hours long, so I'll beat it (unlike Prey which I got when it was 5$) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom