• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MD-

no Dark Souls 2 - PC |OT| makes me sad.

staying the hell out of the existing one for fear of spoilers for a while....

Duckroll said there's "no need" for a PC OT but I was looking forward to playing through the game fresh with other people, I don't want to read through the existing OT because it's filled with people that have beat the game 5+ times and there are spoilers everywhere.

It's shitty.

r3n4ud

Duckroll said there's "no need" for a PC OT but I was looking forward to playing through the game fresh with other people, I don't want to read through the existing OT because it's filled with people that have beat the game 5+ times and there are spoilers everywhere.

It's shitty.
Terrible decision :/

-MD-

It's crazy how there's a thread for Titanfall players above 30 (lol) but Dark Souls 2 PC apparently doesn't deserve a thread.

You've got to be kidding me...

I'm genuinely annoyed the OT got locked, that was gonna be my home for the next few weeks.

KarmaCow

It's shitty.

To be fair, the same thing would happen in the PC thread soon enough anyway. Be it from people going full on and burning through it or people double dipping and in general not considering most things spoilers. Your best bet was to avoid the OT completely if you're worried about that kind of thing.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
No, I think Brink was an absolutely terrible multiplayer game not just because of its technical issues at launch but also because of core design choices. I really tried to like that game, I played it for 21 hours before giving up. I absolutely loathe class based multiplayer games where you have to unlock the core facets of your class to actually play as that class. It's absolutely asinine. I hate what Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare inadvertently did to multiplayer shooters. Experience bars and unlocks are the dumbest artificial progression treadmills.

They also bolted on all of these cutscenes in an attempt to add a truly hamfisted story to multiplayer modes. "Here's why you're playing capture the flag" I don't fucking care, just let me play capture the flag. If they wanted to inject personality into the game they could've taken TF2's approach and have that personality show up through the lines characters yell to and at each other in-game.

The parkour/traversal mechanics were neat and it had a great artsyle, I loved the character and environment design. That's about it. So I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Fair enough, I certainly don't feel THAT strongly about it :) I don't even disagree with some of your points just that I thought the level design was pretty damn great and I enjoyed the hell out of ET style gameplay. Just hit the spot for me nicely. Also the shotgun. Fucking godly.

They failed twice at making a good successor to Wolf ET. You really think the third time they attempt this it will be any good?

Well I never really played Quake ET and I loved Brink which was a technical mess so let's just say I'm more optimistic than most :)

Levyne

Banned
Eh, I understand the reasoning but at the same time that additional thread I don't feel was doing any harm. I thinks it's possible to think both of those simultaneously.

Grief.exe

I posted my arguments in the Dark Souls II OT

I disagree with using this OT entirely for the PC release as well.

Much of the enjoyment from the Souls series comes from the exploration and discovering things on your own. Souls isn't a Halo or Call of Duty where there are really only story spoilers to worry about, even the mechanics need to be a fresh experience.

I know many people on the PC side share the same sentiments and, subsequently, we probably won't be participating in the discussion at all. Which is unfortunate as I was looking forward to discussing the experience with fellow GAFfers.

Hopefully we can petition the mods to reopen the PC OT.

I feel for anyone in here who doesn't play Dark Souls 2 next friday. Prepare to Ignore.

Usually there's a no-spoiler rule in OTs.

well, it's in OT3 now...hope the rule still applies. I just find the decision interesting, since there about 5ish active Dark Souls 2 threads (OT, Lore, graphics comparison, Durante article, etc.)

better use blinders reading through that thread.

FYC

Banned

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
There was no OT when I imported Demons Souls from Hong Kong back in the day (and hardly anyone was playing it) so whilst I may not necessarily agree with the decision to close the PC OT, I'll live :)

vermadas

Don't agree with that [edit: thread moves fast, Dark Souls 2 PC OT closure] decision. In most cases I would say that a separate OT for a month-delayed PC release would be unnecessary, but the Souls series promotes TONS of discussion and I was looking forward to having a thread with a timeline aligned with the PC release.

I hate to generalize, but "console gamers" complain when "PC gamers" litter threads with technical discussion. and separate threads are created for them. I see this as a similar case.

Sounds good. Any thought on DCUO?

DCUO is definitely solo-able. There are missions that are instance-based, and usually match-make you with other people queuing for them, which is pretty cool.

I played it super, super casually on the PS3 a while back. It's fairly simplistic compared to other MMOs, but it supports a laidback approach to the game. It wasn't terrible.

Also, note to anyone with a Gamefly subscription: they've changed the way your semi-annual $5 in your account works. It only applies to "Used Goods" now, where it used to be able to be used on PC Downloads. There goes my hopes of scoring Broforce for $6.99. I said screw it and picked it up for $11.99 anyway.

Aerocrane

I posted a Sleeping Dogs giveaway a couple pages back.

With the PC port of Dark Souls II being actually competent, can From Software bring Armored Core to PC too? There are no good recent mech games for PC that have singleplayer, Hawken and MechWarrior Online are games that I don't particularly enjoy, Hawken because it's more of a FPS with a mech skin and MWO has terrible microtransactions.

Don't agree with that [edit: thread moves fast, Dark Souls 2 PC OT closure] decision. In most cases I would say that a separate OT for a month-delayed PC release would be unnecessary, but the Souls series promotes TONS of discussion and I was looking forward to having a thread with a timeline aligned with the PC release.

I hate to generalize, but "console gamers" complain when "PC gamers" litter threads with technical discussion. and separate threads are created for them. I see this as a similar case.

Exactly my thoughts.

I don't see how another thread will harm anything.

header_292x136.jpg

It's not perfect, but I do think it's a good horror title, and worth checking out if you either have interest in horror games or Lovecraft mythos (as its mine and many others personal favorite Lovecraftian-based game). It does require some patience though, but there is an excellent experience here if you enjoy this sort of thing.
Fantastic write-up! Sold me on the game.

Dr Dogg

no Dark Souls 2 - PC |OT| makes me sad.

staying the hell out of the existing one for fear of spoilers for a while....

Well I get the idea, it is kind of creating a divide between PC and console and that's only going to cause problems in the long run. Look at FFXIV, it's on it's 4th OT and has been altered for PS4 and originally included both PS3 and PC with no separation.

Dark Soul on PC got it's own OT but that was due to coming out about a year later and the original OT was in Community.

Thankfully untagged spoilers are a massive no-no in OTs so it shouldn't be too much of a spoiler mindfield. I do hope the heady mix of people coming in fresh and those who have got to NG+++ doesn't go the more negative route of giving "advice" on what to do and being vocal about doing it wrong.

schuey7

Terrible decision :/

Yup,even if there are no spoilers in the console thread ,most people like to go through a game at the same time as the majority of the people in the thread.Now the pc players discussions will be mixed with others who have been playing for a month and who are mostly discussing events and stats etc that are irrelevant for pc players.

D'oh, forgot to write about it in that post :p

I enjoyed my time with it. Never felt the need to spend any cash. It still gets large updates(there's a Wonder Woman focused DLC coming out this year) and supposedly has a strong playerbase, so it's not a bad choice, especially if you're a fan of DC.

Oh, and it has Mark Hamill voicing the Joker!

Thanks.

There is one factor DCUO has over Marvel Heroes, and that is Character Creation. Yeah, I'm a sucker for that. But I still keep in mind that I'm looking for something fun to play online and I like the superhero stuffs and things. The style, MMO or Diablo type, doesn't matter for me, really. As long as the game is a good game then I'm down for it.
DCUO is definitely solo-able. There are missions that are instance-based, and usually match-make you with other people queuing for them, which is pretty cool.

I played it super, super casually on the PS3 a while back. It's fairly simplistic compared to other MMOs, but it supports a laidback approach to the game. It wasn't terrible.

Also, note to anyone with a Gamefly subscription: they've changed the way your semi-annual $5 in your account works. It only applies to "Used Goods" now, where it used to be able to be used on PC Downloads. There goes my hopes of scoring Broforce for $6.99. I said screw it and picked it up for $11.99 anyway.

Thanks as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait what, we lost the PC DS2 thread? thats what I get for taking a nap :(

Well I get the idea, it is kind of creating a divide between PC and console and that's only going to cause problems in the long run. Look at FFXIV, it's on it's 4th OT and has been altered for PS4 and originally included both PS3 and PC with no separation.

Dark Soul on PC got it's own OT but that was due to coming out about a year later and the original OT was in Community.

Thankfully untagged spoilers are a massive no-no in OTs so it shouldn't be too much of a spoiler mindfield. I do hope the heady mix of people coming in fresh and those who have got to NG+++ doesn't go the more negative route of giving "advice" on what to do and being vocal about doing it wrong.

Well, posts like this certainly don't help change that mentality.

That thread is going to be a mess come next week.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I should be able to host a Tabletop Sim four-pack for $4.78 per head. If you're interested please quote this post rather than PMing me so it's obvious when the three spare slots have been filled. In the event that I'm wrong -- though I shouldn't be -- I'll pay the difference.

Edit: Sorted.

Zeknurn

Need a DLC appID? Now You Can Create it Yourself
18 APRIL - ALDEN
For Steamworks developers with a product appID, you can now create up to 10 pieces of DLC yourself through a new tool available on the Steamworks Developer website.

You’ll also find that the option to create a demo appID for your product on the same “Associated Packages & DLC” page. This was actually added a few weeks ago, but we wanted to make sure that everyone knew about the functionality.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there are a lot of bundle games released on steam recently with no keys yet, devs need to step it up

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I should be able to host a Tabletop Sim four-pack for $4.78 per head. If you're interested please quote this post rather than PMing me so it's obvious when the three spare slots have been filled. In the event that I'm wrong -- though I shouldn't be -- I'll pay the difference.

Eh, might as well. I'm in. Paypal, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom