• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

I'm I, like, blocked from modbot contests or something? I'm almost in the top 10 givers, and have no luck whatsoever whenever I try to win things these days.

To be fair the Mako was pretty bad more so it tied with planet exploring.
Since planet exploring was a pointless time sink that didn't justify anything more than busy work. The idea was neat and I wouldn't have minded it being worked upon in ME2 rather than just dumped.

I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree vehemently. The point of planet exploration was to feel like space was big. Like... y'know, you were exploring. Like you were out there, seeing the universe, just taking it all in.

That was the point.

Sure, maybe you didn't get a quest for every planet you were on, but you didn't need to. That, in fact, would have made space seem a lot smaller than it was.

For those getting Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, I heavily suggest this patch.

It makes the game look better, AND fixes a few sections of the game that are glitchy and gamebreaking bugs, and two sections that are trial-and-error sort of deals.

Owned the game for ages, didn't know about the patch. Had a gamebreaking bug facing Dagon. Thanks.

DocSeuss

As someone who's never played Doom 3 or Call of Cthulhu, which would you recommend? Only got enough GMG credit for one

DCOE is like if Amnesia were actually good but jankier.

Doom 3 is pretty fun and I'm glad to have played it, but the maps are NARROW in a bad, anti-strafing way.

Jawmuncher

I still don't understand how we never got a Mass Effect GOTY edition for any of the games. Bioware points are crap and never go on sale.......Though if they ever did go on sale then I would stop complaining.

Really want to play the trilogy again on PC but can't bring myself to do so until that is resolved.

Jawmuncher

I'm I, like, blocked from modbot contests or something? I'm almost in the top 10 givers, and have no luck whatsoever whenever I try to win things these days.

I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree vehemently. The point of planet exploration was to feel like space was big. Like... y'know, you were exploring. Like you were out there, seeing the universe, just taking it all in.

That was the point.

Sure, maybe you didn't get a quest for every planet you were on, but you didn't need to. That, in fact, would have made space seem a lot smaller than it was.

The Mako is one of those things you either loved or hated. Considering threads on the damn thing have spanned 5+ pages it's nuts just how divisive people are on it.
If I add anything to my statement it's just that even with the space every planet felt dead. Had there been more flora and fauna on the planets rather than the barren deserts they were I think I would be more positive about the Mako. Space is fine and all but seems like the cheap trick when it's all barren. Forgot the planet but you should know which one i'm talking about it involves Wrex
Killing him or not
. If more of the levels had that sort of effort things would have been better for everyone.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As someone who's never played Doom 3 or Call of Cthulhu, which would you recommend? Only got enough GMG credit for one

Doom 3 has its moments, it has a few good scares, I do think the game is scary at parts, but it does suffer some from some weird design decisions and gets frustrating at some points. I also recall the level design not being particularly great in some places. But it's not a bad game if you go in for Doom 3 (as its radically different than the previous Dooms).

However, I personally prefer Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. I linked a patch above though as there are a few bugs that exist in the game that may or may not happen, but aren't uncommon either. Call of Cthulhu is a bit slow-burn though, the game is fairly lengthy (about 14-20 hours the first time), and its rather challenging. It has a fantastic atmosphere though, and both the game and the story get progressively more interesting as the game goes along. To be noted though is that even though its called Call of Cthulhu, the game is actually a lot more about Shadow Over Innsmouth, but if you don't know much about Lovecraft that's okay and might actually help more in the surprise factor of some of the events that happen.

Doom 3 is tense and scary, but has highs and lows. Call of Cthulhu is a slow-burner, but has great atmosphere and story, but also has some jank to it. Both are actually fairly scary at points, though.

louiedog

I still don't understand how we never got a Mass Effect GOTY edition for any of the games. Bioware points are crap and never go on sale.......Though if they ever did go on sale then I would stop complaining.

Really want to play the trilogy again on PC but can't bring myself to do so until that is resolved.

Same. If there was a package that included all of the Mass Effect content at a reasonable price I'd buy it and replay the series.

As it is I'll stick with everything on the 360. I prefer the controller anyway.

Aerocrane

I haven't played the game since it hit Steam so I'm not sure how much content is there, but the soft-body physics engine is fantastic; if Carmageddon Reincarnation had something similar I'd be in heaven.

Right now it has
Three cars: American muscle car and sedan and an European hatchback
Four race tracks: Figure 8, Gravel, Tarmac and Sandpit
Three derby tracks: Small & Large Tarmac Stadiums and a Mud Pit
Racing with up to 23 AI opponents
A small selection of upgrade parts for the cars, once the game has actual career mode progression upgrades would be bought by the player with cash earned from events
Screenshot and replay modes with full camera control and some visual effect options.

nampad

What happens if you enter a key into Desura of a game you already own? All these bundles slowly lead to the same problem I have on Steam there.

The BFG edition has both controller support and includes Resurrection of evil. Plus, the lightning can be fixed by simply adjusting one value in the cfg file. It really is the definitive edition.

Is the mod support there?
The dynamic shadows come back with an ini tweak?

I dunno about mods but i dont think so. Might be the one real negative about the BFG edition.

for the lighting issue all you need to do is put "seta r_lightscale 1" as a console command or set that command up in the autoexec.cfg file.

Grief.exe

The BFG edition has both controller support and includes Resurrection of evil. Plus, the lightning can be fixed by simply adjust one value in the cfg file. It really is the definitive edition.

Is the mod support there?
The dynamic shadows come back with an ini tweak?

However, I personally prefer Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Can you give me a synopsis on that game Dusk?

nampad

Just got an e-mail that Lazy Guys posted another one of their Greenlight bundles.

I think I'll actually get this one for Inescapable, Evopollution and Rhythm Destruction...

• Huntsman: The Orphanage
  • Micron
  • Wimp: Who Stole My Pants?
  • Project Night
  • Inescapable
  • El Ammo and The Lost Dutchman's Mine
  • Man in a Maze!
  • Way to Go!
  • Pathogen Wars
  • Evopollution
  • Rhythm Destruction
  • Gran Vitreous
  • Chronicles of a Dark Lord Episode 1
  • Another Perspective
  • Radium

What's the Special Greenlight Code they give you?

How long does it take for playfire rewards to show up? I spent 10 hours yesterday playing Fez from start to finish (was a much better game than I was expecting) but playfire hasn't updated

What happens if you enter a key into Desura of a game you already own? All these bundles slowly lead to the same problem I have on Steam there.

I think it eats the key.
I was in a habit of just redeeming the desura keys and then I put one that I realized I already owned and had previously tested (spice road) in one of my giveaways and it didn't work.

Thankfully, you can buy Bioware points through the Origin client, and you can also buy DLC for the game through the client using those points (click i on the tab to go to the info screen for the game, which also lists all the available DLC for it, with "Buy Now" buttons next to the ones you don't already own.)

The process is still a little more involved than it has to be, and I think Bioware points really need to be phased out altogether, but it's not particularly awkward once you've actually done it.

That's pretty obtuse actually. I own Mass Effect 3, like ME2 I bought a physical copy but unlike ME2 my copy of ME3 is tied to my Origin account. I have used the client on and off for various games and not once have I ever moused over the game icon and clicked on the i button. They kind of buried the fact you can buy Bioware Space bux and the DLC through the client.

How long does it take for playfire rewards to show up? I spent 10 hours yesterday playing Fez from start to finish (was a much better game than I was expecting) but playfire hasn't updated

Definitely make sure to log into your GMG account at least once, too, it only updated for me after I did that.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck no. Unless you like playing dead, terrible multiplayer games with bots. Even if it still had an active community I'd say the same thing.

Brink launched in an awful technical mess and they deserved to be crucified for it, but a bad multiplayer game ? No, not in the slightest. I'd still be playing that game today if they hadn't completely fucked it up technically. But eh, all bridge under the water now, the games dead. Noone should buy it.

Here's hoping Dirty Bomb (or whatever it's called now) is much better and given more time.

I've found it takes as much as 3ish days to register. I finished up 2 nights ago and am still waiting.

Just have to be patient.

Thesethingstaketime.gif

Like I have mentioned before on this topic, I am making some good progress on Harvester

Harvester_cover.jpg

So far there as been couple of Monkey Wrenchisms
Moving a shelf with the furniture dolly is pretty much impossible to find out with out a guide
and some pixel hunts, but otherwise it has been fairly sane for a point and click game! Sure it's very hard and some puzzles require you to visit tons of places AND it's fairly open ended (you can get items and solve some puzzles WAAAY before you need them) and I think that there are at least some optional puzzles and routes.

It's also fairly buggy (some events repeat if you leave the place early, some lines of conversations repeat when they shouldn't...) but those don't bother me at all. Also some lines of convos are missable for good but hey, that's replay value! The combat that I remember many calling dreadful actually works: just mash away right mousebutton for some intense combat scenes!

The story, characters and locations are EXCELLENT. The game, coming out in 96, touches all kinds of subjects that are pretty taboo for games even today such as homosexuality, suicides, child molestation, BDSM . Of course it does touch them in the least constructive way possible, but I guess that's better than nothing. Other than that, the story is silly fun, filled with all kinds of weird stuff happening ALL THE TIME and surprising you every second. Even the most mundane conversations are interesting!

I haven't finished it yet, but so far it has been pretty 10/10 experience for me. It's not for everyone, or even most, or even some, but if you like b-horror movies, point and click games, Deadly Premonition, Silent Hill and cheese this game might be just for you.

Finished it! Ending was like someone said kinda fast, but at least it was pretty awesome. Loved that game despite all it's flaws

Zeknurn

Brink launched in an awful technical mess and they deserved to be crucified for it, but a bad multiplayer game ? No, not in the slightest. I'd still be playing that game today if they hadn't completely fucked it up technically. But eh, all bridge under the water now, the games dead. Noone should buy it.

Here's hoping Dirty Bomb (or whatever it's called now) is much better and given more time.

Hear hear. If the game hadn't run like shit on AMD cards it would have been the best multiplayer FPS in a long long time.

nampad

Is Modbot dead? Still no answer after 15 minutes of registering a game.

It says in the email I think. Once some of those games appear on steam, they'll send you an email with a link for you to put that code in and receive keys for those games.

it is explained directly below the code, it is used to get the steamkey once it is available

Edit: Beaten :\

Thanks, I should read more carefully. Thought they mail me when the greenlit games are available on Steam.

I think it eats the key.
I was in a habit of just redeeming the desura keys and then I put one that I realized I already owned and had previously tested (spice road) in one of my giveaways and it didn't work.

Wow, what a shitty move. Thought Desura would be fairer because of their indie background.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Will the 20% coupon work with THIEF/Typing of the Dead?

For anyone who's tried it.

Echoplx

The BFG edition has both controller support and includes Resurrection of evil. Plus, the lightning can be fixed by simply adjusting one value in the cfg file. It really is the definitive edition.

I dunno about mods but i dont think so. Might be the one real negative about the BFG edition.

for the lighting issue all you need to do is put "seta r_lightscale 1" as a console command or set that command up in the autoexec.cfg file.

Can you remove the permanent flashlight? If not I can't see how you can call it definitive considering how different it plays compared to the original.

Also sikkmod.

Jawmuncher

Thanks.

Although I tried to apply the 20% off coupon on a basket that had THIEF and Typing of the Dead and it said it couldn't be added.

Do I just have to do it one-by-one?

Yep add it one at a time.

Harvester had a rushed development near the end thus the reason for the odd gameplay shift and ending wasn't it?

No, I think Brink was an absolutely terrible multiplayer game not just because of its technical issues at launch but also because of core design choices. I really tried to like that game, I played it for 21 hours before giving up. I absolutely loathe class based multiplayer games where you have to unlock the core facets of your class to actually play as that class. It's absolutely asinine. I hate what Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare inadvertently did to multiplayer shooters. Experience bars and unlocks are the dumbest artificial progression treadmills.

They also bolted on all of these cutscenes in an attempt to add a truly hamfisted story to multiplayer modes. "Here's why you're playing capture the flag" I don't fucking care, just let me play capture the flag. If they wanted to inject personality into the game they could've taken TF2's approach and have that personality show up through the lines characters yell to and at each other in-game.

The parkour/traversal mechanics were neat and it had a great artsyle, I loved the character and environment design. That's about it. So I guess we'll agree to disagree.

nampad

He's alive:
ModBot said:
Instructions for nampad:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Huntsman -- MB-0CE753D4440D116E - Taken by Baha

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, loaded the save before the ending to see them both

The marry one is kinda lame, but I thought that the kill Steph one was kinda ruthless

Yeah, the first one you mentioned is sort of interesting, but at the same time kind of a let down. The second one is definitely pretty violent, especially with the little epilogue scene you're given at the end,
when the camera looks inside the stomach

Also, I'm considering spending Playfire money on DLC Quest for card money, plus I was already interested in it to begin with. Worth it?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can you give me a synopsis on that game Dusk?

Yes I can~ For the obvious, it is a game inspired by Lovecraft. It's called Call of Cthulhu, but that's more of a marketing thing, as Cthulhu actually plays a very little role in the title. The game is more about a few of Lovecraft's other novels, the most notable one being Shadow Over Innsmouth. However, if you don't know the difference between a Cthulhu and a Dagan or a Xa'ligha, that's okay as the game doesn't expect you to know these things, as you play as a character who knows nothing about these things either.

header_292x136.jpg

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a first-person horror-adventure game. It has elements of a first-person shooter, an adventure game, and a survival-horror game. It's also a really tough cookie, it's not an easy game, and there is a legitimate survival element, as well as a few tough puzzles, and some pretty fantastic atmosphere and scares.

You play as a man named Jack Walters, who's a detective. The game starts with a prologue section when Jack helps a local police force he's acquainted with break into the house run by a group of cultists. They're shooting-up the police.. However, when Jack infiltrates, the cults don't seem to be hostile towards him like they are to the police, but actually welcome him with open arms, as they commit a mass-suicide ritual. And when he enters the basement, he witnesses something, and everything quickly becomes a blur. He becomes conscious six years later, when he finds out he spent the last six years in a mental asylum. He has no memory of this time, and to him he was just at the cultists house. He of course is really curious about this time, but tries to resume his detective agency. He receives a letter and takes on the requested case to investigate a missing persons report of a Brian Burnham, a man who tried to start a grocery store chain in a nearby coastal town of Innsmouth. He goes to investigate.

Gameplay has a lot of variety, but fantastic pacing for the most part if you can accept it moves a bit of a slow-burn type of game (which benefits it rather than hurts it, I feel). The game has sections of exploration and interaction with townspeople. You actually have a big portion of the game at the beginning when you're defenseless, and have to master skills of stealth, evasion, and survival with taking advantage of the environment and lowly tools you have that are hardly murder weapons. There's puzzles, both in the on-the-fly gameplay sort and the 'need to solve this puzzle to continue' variety. And the game isn't full of scripted scenarios either (though a few do exist), so a lot of the survival has to be taken from your own wits and cleverness.

Survival is important. Gun bullets don't graze you, they can seriously damage you. The game has a mechanic where you bleed when shot, as well as where you are shot effects your damage reaction to being shot. You heal it with limited healing items you get, some to stop bleeding or mend wounded appendages, others to recover blood and health. You also need to be careful as some weapons can inflict poisoning on you to recover from. Eventually you do get a gun though, but the game hardly becomes a run-and-gun, you have to be really strategic and know when to let-go of being undetected to fire, and which enemies are really worth taking out. You have limited ammo, and the enemies can seriously kick your ass if you're not careful.

image_155690_thumb_wide620.jpg

But the game isn't all about combat and stealth. There also are areas and levels with almost no enemies at all, and some fantastic horror scenes, strange sanity moments, and just some atmosphere and sequences that go in very different directions. The character also has a sanity feature, which makes it so the more he's around unpleasent things, the more weird things may become for him. Certain areas, imagery, and the like help his sanity, while others break it.

The game also has some memorizing music, graphics are obviously a bit outdated but do the job, and as the game continues, situations open up a lot more to how you can approach them. And the game continues adding new elements, additions, and set-piece like moments all the way through to the end to prevent it from becoming too much of the same, and leaving you to continually wonder what might be coming next. It's pacing can be argued is slow, but I think works very well for the title and what its trying to achieve.

I also can mention that this game I would label as a scary game, it is absolutely tense a lot of the time, and some segments legitimately scared the crap out of me. But part of the way it pulls this off is that they're not over-abundant or consistent, and don't rely on the same few tricks or overly on cheap scares.

There is some jank here though, with some bugs, sometimes you may be detected by enemies when they really shouldn't of detected you, and there's a few frustrating parts of the game that are kind of trial-and-error, where basically you need to do what the game wants you to do or you'll die. Some of these issues the patch I posted before address, though, namely the bugs and helping the trial and error sections be less trial-and-error.

It's not perfect, but I do think it's a good horror title, and worth checking out if you either have interest in horror games or Lovecraft mythos (as its mine and many others personal favorite Lovecraftian-based game). It does require some patience though, but there is an excellent experience here if you enjoy this sort of thing.

Why does GMG not apply discounts only on The Typing of the Dead Love at First Bite DLC? I've had it in my cart several times over as filler to get to 10$ so I can use the 20% off code and then the code doesn't apply to that single solitary piece of DLC for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom