• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

What have you done to me. I started up Civilization V and got really into it for the first time and now it's 4 in the morning and I'm still playing it...

Though, how do I use the catapults?

benjipwns

Banned
What have you done to me. I started up Civilization V and got really into it for the first time and now it's 4 in the morning and I'm still playing it...

Though, how do I use the catapults?
Click the top icon whatever it's called to set them up, then you can bombard with the next top icon. The range on this and all other like units expands based on what you can "see" so if you have another fairly tough unit to "spot" for it you can hit things more tiles away.

Card Boy

Banned

This game is pretty awesome and entertaining. And I have usually gotten bored to death by most of the golf games I have tried.

Looks great last golf game i ever enjoyed was Mario Golf on NES and Shot Online before it went hardcore pay2win years ago. I got a Tiger Woods 2011 on PS3 i found that someone chucked out, haven't tried it yet.

Would be cool if it had async multiplayer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The eagle thing is pretty great, yeah. These powers change up how the game feels considerably. I like them quite a bit, they almost remind me of Infamous. I haven't seen bear yet, but the animal sounds promising.
It makes the combat pretty hilarious because it feels so OP.

Fox318

LXd0z4j.gif

def sim

It makes the combat pretty hilarious because it feels so OP.

It completely is! I've been cloaking mid fight and executing the tougher dudes without too much trouble. If I mess up, I can just fly to safety and recharge. It makes the game easier than it already was, but it's a lot of fun. It'd be interesting if they expand on this in future AC sequels. It'd be a bigger change up than pirate ships, at least.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No way.. KB/M is always a last resort for me. And highly dependent on genre... RTS games work well with it, but for anything else? Give me a gamepad.

I'm with you, I don't even buy games that don't support gamepads. For some reason this riles up certain PC gamers, so be ready for that I guess.

Salsa

besides the obvious (RTS, point and click, etc) I'll still forever use kb/m on first person shooters cause playing them with a gamepad is fucking dreadful.

most third person shooters are fine with gamepad at this point tho, considering they're easy console ports that barely require precision

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No way.. KB/M is always a last resort for me. And highly dependent on genre... RTS games work well with it, but for anything else? Give me a gamepad.

I'm with you there. Keyboards are terrible game controllers. They work when there are just too many buttons for a traditional controller, or when you need the precision of a mouse and are okay being stuck with an awful input method for all actions but aiming as a tradeoff

Shade

Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Syder Arcade -- MB-BF42976D87917B71 - Taken by Cth. 5 entrants total.
Savant Ascent -- MB-9680D07439962A58 - Taken by Madridista. 7 entrants total.
Knights of Pen and Paper plus 1 Edition -- MB-D475AF8B8F7991DA - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2 -- MB-09B94A635966AAB0
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-FA4BE39EC9C9C1BE
Shivah Kosher Edition -- MB-043A0B610C09850C - Taken by Dambrosi. 7 entrants total.

t1397883691z1.png

Salsa

Options are nice. But I'd never play a competitive online shooter with a controller.

not even competitive

handling first person view with a controller just feels awful for me. The sticks movement is a lot more fixated. It feels like playing as a robot compared to the amount of control you get over the speed you wanna turn and so on with a mouse

then the auto-aim kicks in and I wanna die

Khronico

I... actually agree. Even with first person shooters I'll take a good gamepad over mkb (although this is purely based on the fact that I used to play FPSs exclusively on consoles).

Edit: Although I will concede that mkb is clearly superior in every aspect for gameplay. My opinion is purely based on personal preference.

Looks great last golf game i ever enjoyed was Mario Golf on NES and Shot Online before it went hardcore pay2win years ago. I got a Tiger Woods 2011 on PS3 i found that someone chucked out, haven't tried it yet.

Would be cool if it had async multiplayer.

Looks like it does...

The game is designed to support 1-4 players for local "couch multiplayer," but it also includes an asynchronous online multiplayer mode where you can compete against "live balls" or "ghost balls" from other players.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hi...-arriving-for-xbox-one-ps4-soon/1100-6419054/

derExperte

I'm with you there. Keyboards are terrible game controllers. They work when there are just too many buttons for a traditional controller, or when you need the precision of a mouse and are okay being stuck with an awful input method for all actions but aiming as a tradeoff

And movement. Using wasd allows me to move more precise and change directions with zero delay. Compared to that playing with an analog stick feels like I'm stuck in mud.

not even competitive

handling first person view with a controller just feels awful for me. The sticks movement is a lot more fixated. It feels like playing as a robot compared to the amount of control you get over the speed you wanna turn and so on with a mouse

then the auto-aim kicks in and I wanna die

Any time I'm at my desk I always use KB/M but if I happen to be out in the living room then I'll use a controller since I can never find a comfortable setup that uses the KB/M. But there's always a period of adjustment when going back to a controller.

Salsa

Someone gets it!

everyone gets it dude. you're speaking about prefering WASD for FPS movement on a PC centric thread, it's not like we have a super unpopular opinion here

Any time I'm at my desk I always use KB/M but if I happen to be out in the living room then I'll use a controller since I can never find a comfortable setup that uses the KB/M. But there's always a period of adjustment when going back to a controller.

I actually decide what to play often times based on wether I wanna be slouching on my bed with the PC hooked up to the TV or sitting down at the desk, but I never play a third person game on my monitor with a keyboard the same way I dont play an FPS laying back with a gamepad

:eek: The Swapper is gooooooood! :D

I know it has been heavily fellated in these parts but that doesn't mean I shall enjoy it. So far so very good though :D.

Half Life 2 I'm going to persist with too. It will be interesting to see if I get further in it on pc than I did on XBOX before I hit the wall of meh. Lucius is a keeper too from the little I've played so far. Being evil is fun! His daddy being nice eye candy for me is a bonus. Both daddies actually :p.

Many bothans other games in my backlog died got tried and rejected to bring us you this information.

If you don't play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard you are doing it very wrong.

omgthat'sracist.gif

Salsa

Not just FPS movement, but most action games.

thing is basically all action games we get today are console ports that are designed with gamepad in mind. There's already lag and limited movement compared to what you could do with a keyboard if it was designed that way so I rarely end up feeling like I have more control tbh

like anything it depends on the game

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The thing that gives me the most comfort and/or enjoyment is the best way to play a game, and I don't care if it's a keyboard and mouse or a trackball or a gamepad or a analogue stick with a keyboard or gamepad buttons with no sticks plus a mouse for precision aiming or Kinect or DDR mat or anything else.

The right way to play is the fun way to play. Sure I COULD play Street Fighter with a gamepad, but DDR Mat is the most amount of fun. Sure I can play FTL with a mouse and keyboard, but touch pad is the best for me. Aye I could play Mirror's Edge with a gamepad, but keyboard and mouse made it feel more fluid for me even though that failed in Devil May Cry 4. True I could do World Of Tanks with mouse and keyborad or a game pad or a joystick, but dual trackballs with a few extra buttons is far more hilarious to me.

Which reminds me, I seriously need to find a gamepad that is just an analogue stick and three or four buttons to control things with, while still allowing me to use a mouse for aiming in first person games. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

I actually decide what to play often times based on wether I wanna be slouching on my bed with the PC hooked up to the TV or sitting down at the desk, but I never play a third person game on my monitor with a keyboard the same way I dont play an FPS laying back with a gamepad

I usually do the same thing but there's times when I'm like, "Crap, I don't want to be at the desk but I still want to play <whatever>" and just give in.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It is like saying you prefer a guitar hero controller over a real guitar, because that is what you learnt with.

Did this make sense in your head before you posted it? Unless you play lots of multiplayer FPS (which I play none of), most modern games are better with a controller. I couldn't imagine how gimped you would be going through dark souls with KB/M.

And see what I mean about controllers riling up certain PC gamers? It took less than five mins.

In what world does wasd allow for more precise character movement? If you're using it as a dpad replacement sure but any game with 3d character movement feels more suited to a stick. Mouse is always better for aiming though and most other things outside of action games.

Favorite option though is the move which I wish was supported on the PC. Analog stick for movement and the wand for aiming is perfect.

Did this make sense in your head before you posted it? Unless you play lots of multiplayer FPS (which I play none of), most modern games are better with a controller. I couldn't imagine how gimped you would be going through dark souls with KB/M.

So basically it is better for FPS but not necessarily better for games that are not a FPS? Seems to me it made sense in your head too.

I guess then we agree to agree?

rtcn63

I'm one of those who in 99% of cases prefers to play with a gamepad. I only do singleplayer, and I'm shit at games in general, so it doesn't matter.

In the world where it's combined with a mouse. BOOM.

Using the mouse to pull off 180s isn't really more accurate :p On a stick you go where you point for the most part. wasd gives you 8 directions which works when combined with camera control on a mouse but is never as natural as just pushing a stick where you want to go.

Salsa

In what world does wasd allow for more precise character movement? If you're using it as a dpad replacement sure but any game with 3d character movement feels more suited to a stick. Mouse is always better for aiming though and most other things outside of action games.

Favorite option though is the move which I wish was supported on the PC. Analog stick for movement and the wand for aiming is perfect.

WASD is fixed positions. Not all games benefit from true analog movement, some don't even provide it. WASD is still 8 directions.

strafing can feel better with a keyboard

WASD is fixed positions. Not all games benefit from true analog movement, some don't even provide it. WASD is still 8 directions.

strafing can feel better with a keyboard

Most games have true analog movement and the ones that don't wouldn't benefit from being able to go perfectly straight/sideways/diagonal.

I played Killzone 3 with a move + sharpshooter. I liked it.
Yeah, PSMove is surprisingly good for FPS games, I tried it out with M.A.G. back when that was alive and it worked really well.

I still prefer Keyboard and mouse, of course, but it was definitely better than a gamepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom