• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

I'm not offended by people saying they believe something is technically better, scientifically better, or mathematically better. I was referring to the mindset some how where because they believe something to be better then someone is less as a person because they don't play it using the control "they prefer", much in the "master race PC player" kind of way. I've seen people who can play just fine with a gamepad in fighting games and beat people using an arcade stick, even though on a basic level the arcade stick offers more on a technical level, and if that's how they want to play a game, I just can't subscribe to the thought "it's doing it wrong".

Aye I believe in learning a game if one wants to get better at a game, I just said I used a arcade stick for fighting games like Virtua Fighter which I took place in tournaments with and won, so I obviously was doing so with skill I learned and improved on as was my goal. In fact, getting good at a game and improving in skill is how I get the most enjoyment out of games, be it fighting games I don't take as silly distractions to titles such as Spelunky and Dark Souls 2 or Tetris.
However games, at their core, are something to be enjoyed. To me that is a toy, but that doesn't mean you can't get more out of it and get more enjoyment out of it if that indeed the goal. Just like one could play with a football and just have fun with it, or they can master it and become a player in FIFA. Nothing wrong with being a toy, nothing wrong with seeing it as more than just a toy, because "toy" is not an offensive or demeaning word to me and no one is "doing it wrong" whichever way the view a football. Unless you play for Manchester United, that's doing it wrong, oh so very wrong... go Rangers.

Oh, I missed that post about KoF and VF, sorry. I was just reading your posts thinking, well maybe if you sat down and tried to actually learn how to play these games they'd interest you for more than 30 minutes every once in a while. :p If you're just not into Street Fighter then yeah I guess it makes sense that you would just play it on DDR pads as a party game and such. It sounded like you were just dismissing it (and fighting games in general) as a joke without giving them a fair try for whatever reason. My fault!

And yeah, obviously I agree that people shouldn't be assholes about their preferences in video games, but in general that probably stems from a passion that's poorly communicated. For example, I try my hardest to convince my friends not to use summons in Dark Souls because I feel that it ruins the game, and I do this because I want them to have the best experience possible. If, however, I post this same advice in a Dark Souls thread on GAF or elsewhere on the internet, invariably there will be people calling me an elitist or some nonsense like that because other people give that same advice but they're rude about it. Well, maybe for some of them it's not actually about wanting to help others but more about validating their own preferences...

Salsa

I just saw that a lot of GMOD servers got hacked.

Stay safe out there guys.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804297

newsteam-assemble-gif.gif

rookiejet

I like Arcade Sticks a lot.

I bought mine because I read you were getting a similar one a while back.

I6w2qdGl.jpg

I played a lot of shooters with it (specifically Raiden Fighters Jet), but I still haven't got the hang of using it for fighting games.

I thought that you were kidding at first, but I don't see how you could be offended by people saying that you aren't playing the right way and that you don't know what you're doing. These are basically factual statements. It's like a banging random keys on a piano instead of learning how to properly play. You can have fun doing that and it certainly saves you a lot of time if you play the piano like that rather than taking lessons etc., but the fact is that by doing so you're treating it as a child's toy and not everybody sees it that way. I'd argue that devoting time into actually learning how to play the piano (or fighting games) would lead to a greater appreciation and ultimately more enjoyment, but if you're not willing to put the time in, then at least you're having fun messing around? But the fact remains that you don't know what you're doing, lol.

I am pretty sure I've seen people play instruments that were designed for operation using hands via other methods, e.g. using their feet, etc, due necessity or otherwise. Sure, there are some hard, technical factors determining advantages and disadvantages of a given control method and its ultimate performance, but people adapt if they have to or want to, and they can perform (to the limits of a control method) if they are comfortable with it.

Maybe KenOD is savant and would kick your butt playing with his DDR pad :p

Salsa

I bought mine because I read you were getting a similar one a while back.

I6w2qdGl.jpg

yeah, that's what I got.

It's basic stuff but you can mod it with sanwa parts super easy so it's what most people on a budget get

default stick is good enough but there's definetly been times where a certain diagonal wont register and I end up making mistakes in skullgirls

Still really bummed that my eightarc fusion doesn't work on any of the three new consoles :/ At least some fighting games come to the pc these days.

Salsa

Still really bummed that my eightarc fusion doesn't work on any of the three new consoles :/ At least some fighting games come to the pc these days.

I have the ps3 version of the stick and it's ridiculous how some games have issues with that. not the case with the 360 ver

I guess that they use the same protocol as the 360 pad for some games hence why some give issues but I mean, if you're making a fighting game and windows recognizes the stick how can you not make sure it supports it well

I've just finished The Swapper. What a nice game!

I'm just a little bit disappointed that one has to start all over again to unlock what was missed during the playthrough... I don't have the courage to do that.

If you don't play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard you are doing it very wrong.

I disagree -- I've tried to get used to keyboard and mouse, but it's never ever felt right. I used to play Quake II and Quake III when they were released, but ever since picking up the FPS genre on consoles last gen (mostly), I've realized I much prefer analog sticks and buttons to kb/m.

I'm with you, I don't even buy games that don't support gamepads. For some reason this riles up certain PC gamers, so be ready for that I guess.

I'll buy them, but I hope someone made a PGP profile for them. :D

I'm with you there. Keyboards are terrible game controllers. They work when there are just too many buttons for a traditional controller, or when you need the precision of a mouse and are okay being stuck with an awful input method for all actions but aiming as a tradeoff

I don't even like it when aiming -- I've never found the right balance between my mouse range, sensitivity, and coordinating with using WASD+more keys. Reminds me of a hitbox for fighting games -- I'm sure some people use them well and there are upsides to doing so... but unless it feels right for YOU, it doesn't matter what feels right to everyone else. ^_^

eh I don't really look down on it and I get your point, it's just think it feels weird to say playin a fighting game with a DDR mat is the best way to play it .. but going by the way in which you use that phrase then sure

either way, fighting games:

1) arcade stick
2) keyboard
3) a potato
4) gamepad

Some games work fine on a gamepad -- so long as the d-pad is solid. <5 buttons? I can manage and sometimes even prefer it (I switch between a stick and a gamepad for Tekken these days depending on the character I'm using). But for games that require heavy usage of all buttons and have more than 6? I need a fightstick. I remember buying my first to go with my SNES and Street Fighter II back when I was a teenager because I kept having to re-arrange the buttons to move the least used buttons for my character to L and R.

I have the ps3 version of the stick and it's ridiculous how some games have issues with that. not the case with the 360 ver

I guess that they use the same protocol as the 360 pad for some games hence why some give issues but I mean, if you're making a fighting game and windows recognizes the stick how can you not make sure it supports it well

I have a Madcatz TE that I modded with a dual strike + phreakmods solderless board so it could play on PS3 as well. Works like a charm on everything.

But to answer your question, it's the same reason that games that support xinput don't necessarily support dinput.

--

Trying to grind out these 99 community levels for Chuck's Challenge 3D is going to kill me.

I really like the game, but the menu interface leaves a lot to be desired. No easy way to tell if you've played a level until you beat it again and see that either (1) you got a better time or (2) you gave it a thumbs up. Search bugs out and doesn't remember your position in the list after you finish a level either, so you have to go resort and then page through tons of levels to get further down if you're trying to do the achievement and grind it out.

Grief.exe

After the success of Skyrim I would be very surprised if Bethesda doesn't dumb down Fallout 4 to just unprecedented levels.

Probably a controversial opinion because I see a lot of excitement surrounding the impending announcement.

Salsa

After the success of Skyrim I would be very surprised if Bethesda doesn't dumb down Fallout 4 to just unprecedented levels.

Skyrim and Fallout 3+ seem pretty similar to me in terms of accesibility. Besides maybe VATS? if that's what you're refering to

the problem with Skyrim is that it fucking sucks, but if anything it shows that there's a big audience for those types of games

both Fallouts were succesful. I dont think they're gonna risk messing it up too bad

thing is basically all action games we get today are console ports that are designed with gamepad in mind. There's already lag and limited movement compared to what you could do with a keyboard if it was designed that way so I rarely end up feeling like I have more control tbh

like anything it depends on the game

What about stealth games that don't use the scroll wheel for walk speed

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Probably a controversial opinion because I see a lot of excitement surrounding the impending announcement.

It's not like Fallout 3 was any smarter than Skyrim. And Oblivion was chock full of shit design.

zkylon

zkylewd
they are most definitely gonna dumb fallout 4 dumb

fallout 3 wasn't the most hardcore game around but beth will certainly find a way to fuck it up

Pachimari

I have now conquered all lands in my game in Civilization V but do I just quit it then and won't I get a "completed" notification or something?

Like Stallion said Bethesda games are exploration with some RPG features litered in here and there. I love exploration games so I'm totally OK with that, especially on the PC where mkds help make their games visual masterpieces.

The stats system is backwards as fuck, leveling isn't fun and the main quest is pure tedium, worse than any quest I did in Skyrim.

Yeah as much as I hate on Skyrim, it was a massive step up from Oblivion. That is why I assume so many people loved it (if that was their main point of reference).

Salsa

now we're talking about 2008 games like "the good ole days"

I mean jeez

office_space_kit_mat.jpeg

cant wait till 10 years from now where everyone talks about Fallout 3 like we talk about Baldur's Gate

Salsa

IKA8HCGHT0SS1396919146717.jpg

this is the type of shit that makes me forget why I'd like blizzard games on steam

I swear they've become the most cringe-worthy company in the world

DocSeuss

Nothing beats Halo players complaining about how COD dumbed down shooters.

Except Halo's brilliant sandbox of weapons and AI really do put it above a lot of what came before in terms of intelligent shooter gunplay, and most, if not all of its design decisions exist for a purpose and can be defended easily.

But yeah, they're wrong. Medal of Honor has that distinction.

Salsa

speaking of steam look at what I just found

kyK08Scl.jpg

thing is beaten to death buttons are all mushy and its filled with dust under the screen

but hey Persona 3 was on it and I also found Patapon 2

brb going to the toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom