• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Unfortunately I have Anosmia :(
Meaning I have no sense of smell.

I wish I could use things like incense to relax.

so you cant smell your own farts? You are trully missing out on the great pleasures of life shack :(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh I didn't knew that. :(

It's no big deal - certainly not as debilitating as being deaf or blind. Thankfully it doesn't impact my enjoyment of video games. At least, not until they make some sort of virtual reality that includes smelling the game.

so you cant smell your own farts? You are trully missing out on the great pleasures of life shack :(

That's... kinda gross. :p

rtcn63

pft my farts are awesome.

dont-believe-his-lies.jpg

Street Racing Syndicate was in Indie Gala Dwarves bundle so hopefully they pop out a key

edit: scratch that, if you have that bundle, go activate your gamersgate key they gave you, gamersgate has a steam key now

Thanks for the tip! Pleasantly surprised by how frequently some things there, even ones that were DRM-Free before, are getting keys added (Imperial Glory, Praetorians, etc.)

Tellaerin

What? Did this just come to Steam?

I owned this on Gamersgate, but didn't install it because of the horrendous DRM it was supposed to have. Just used the code from Gamersgate to add it to my Steam account. Anyone know if the Steam release is DRM-free (well, apart from Steam itself, obviously)?

Wasn't Street Racing Syndicate that terrible racing game where you could unlock short videos of women dancing and the better you did the skimpier their outfits? I think I played that on the original Xbox.

Scipius

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Scipius, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Lucius -- MB-95A662F50B31EC0A - Taken by nampad. 11 entrants total.

t1398387983z1.png

Tellaerin

Wasn't Street Racing Syndicate that terrible racing game where you could unlock short videos of women dancing and the better you did the skimpier their outfits? I think I played that on the original Xbox.

I don't know if it's terrible or if the outfits get skimpier, but there are apparently video clips of women dancing in it, so I'm guessing it's the one you're thinking of. Sorry to hear it's supposed to be bad, though - I was looking forward to having another arcade-y racer to play on PC. :s

first thread made after unjunioring is a 3DS thread

feels righteous

I don't even know who you are anymore, man.

(And I'm amused that my browser's autocorrect seems to think your name is really "Saltshaker".)

I don't know if it's terrible or if the outfits get skimpier, but there are apparently video clips of women dancing in it, so I'm guessing it's the one you're thinking of. Sorry to hear it's supposed to be bad, though - I was looking forward to having another arcade-y racer to play on PC. :s

Terrible may have been too harsh a word, but I remember it being not particularly good. If you can get it in a bundle or crazy deal, do that and see for yourself.

zkylon

zkylewd
i wake up, open up steam hoping dks2 preload is ready, go make me some food, come back, "TEAM FORTRESS 2 HAS FINISHED UPDATING!"

oh fuck you heavy

wow that's cray

if it helps i think incense is crap

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

If you don't mind me asking were you born with no sense of smell or did you lose it ?

Both my dad and my sister have no sense of smell whilst I do (both born without it). It's funny as whilst I obviously don't know what their 'experience' is when tasting things when I have a bad cold or something blocks my nose my sense of taste is completely fucked up. With them it doesn't make a blind bit of difference :p Just cool the way the human body adapts to things like that.

Tellaerin

Terrible may have been too harsh a word, but I remember it being not particularly good. If you can get it in a bundle or crazy deal, do that and see for yourself.

Yeah, I had it on Gamersgate, but never went through with installing it after I heard the game originally shipped with Starforce DRM. (Couldn't find solid confirmation that it had been removed.) Now that they've added Steam serials, I was able to activate it on Steam, but I'm still leery of actually downloading it myself until I hear it's clean. >.>

Oh wow, you can only have one city in a given region in Endless Legend. In Civ you can just settle a new city anywhere you want so long as it's not within a 4 tile distance of another city. Developing that city expands its borders and range of workable tiles. The only thing you want to concern yourself with in Civ is the surrounding resources where you settle that city. Hopefully there are luxury resources to go along with strategic ones so you can easilly maintain your populaces happiness and have resources to trade with other Civs for other luxury resources or money.

In Endless Legend you can only have one city in a region, one city. So that predetermined border I had at the beginning all belongs to my capitol. If I want to settle another city I have to settle it in a neighbouring region. Now I get what that IGN video preview was going on about the importance of where you settle your city in Endless Legend. You can expand the range of workable tiles by that city but there a cost associated with the benefits of expanding your city's border and range of workable tiles. You lose -10 Approval (EL's and ES's equivalent to Happiness) by doing the range expansion but gain + 10 Approval for each level of your city. You basically can't just spam out a bunch of tile expansions all at once early on. When settling a region you have an interesting problem. Do you plunk a city down near to but not right by a number of resources and invest in developing and improving the city enough so you can expand easily to those resources in time or just build your city on top of one resource for immediate gain and slowly branch out to the rest.

This one city per region restriction puts a lot of emphasis on early game exploration. I just wish there was a cheap unit, sort of equal to the Scout in Civ V, low on offensive capabilities but it has greater range and no terrain costs for movement. I only had 3 armies on the map, one was my hero with two ranged units that you start the game with, the others were individual units whose primary purpose was exploring, but I was losing money. I also found out the hard way that this kind of scouting is a bad idea. Neutrals will wreck lone units.

I just straight up bought the loyalty of two sub-factions that were near my cities but even then there's a cost to integrating the sub-faction into your empire and gaining benefits from them. You have to spend Influence Points which I guess is Endless Legends equivalent to Civ's culture points. I've integrated one sub-faction because doing so gave me a per-city economic bonus and a new military unit to build. Influence Points are also spent on Empire plans which you can use to gain bonuses in research, production of military units or economic and population bonuses. So you gotta balance out integrating neutral factions into your empire. Buying them out at least eliminates them from generating hostile units.

Empire management screen, you can see I've integrated one neutral sub-faction into my empire.
BD8889059480792168FE56F0C060EC34897863F6

Here's the Empire Plan screen where you spend Influence Points on specific bonuses for your empire. I've been going for faster research.
5712D8AD7DB79B70C3D6C7C4F17A26DFC2DB3486

Also, there's weather! This impacts your cities production, the range your units can move and how far away they can see.

Also thanks zafir, I've got the hex display up on the overworld map and can toggle resource production of tiles on and off with those buttons you mentioned.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I didn't get Tropico 4 in my inventory :( Got the game from a trader because the price in my country was ridiculous. I only preordered the game because of the preorder rewards and now I'll have to beg the trader to give them to me...yeah, good luck with that.

Lesson learned, won't be preordering anything from Steam ever again

Copons

Oh for christ sake, I just got EULA-ed by the motherfucking Alexander the Great in Civ5.

Basically, I was leading this super cool tiny Korean empire, totally science oriented, and I was like the cute pet of the world, friend with everybody.
Then suddenly, people start getting greedy, waging war with each other, and I'm in the middle because being friend with everyone, I suddenly was perceived as allied with each enemies, even tho I honestly didn't give a shit about other civs.
So, Alexander, with the most powerful army in the world, attacks me to get a dumb city in the middle of the jungle I used basically just for the science-jungle bonus. The city falls, he razes it and negotiate peace.
Fuck off, but ok: I got only three cities left but they were super happy, productive and science oriented, so it was fine.

Around the year 1990, while I was fully commited in building space stuff, I declare war against me without a single fucking reason.
After like 15 years of war, he couldn't conquer shit because I was dumb the first time, without any army at all, but the second I was prepared.

So, he asked for peace.

In the agreement there was the usual mile-long list of both of us allied city states to make peace with.
Ok.
Click accept.

Hidden in the middle of that list there was a fucking fine print saying I was going to givee him every city except the capital.

It took me like 10 seconds to realize, than I rage quit.

Now I really want to go out in the street punching people in the face because FML

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It's no big deal - certainly not as debilitating as being deaf or blind. Thankfully it doesn't impact my enjoyment of video games. At least, not until they make some sort of virtual reality that includes smelling the game.
I guess it depends a lot to what you are used to, it certainly would be to me
I'm almost blind though and think that is no big deal

first thread made after unjunioring is a 3DS thread

feels righteous
I didn't even know you were juniored XD

mrgone

Oh for christ sake, I just got EULA-ed by the motherfucking Alexander the Great in Civ5.

Basically, I was leading this super cool tiny Korean empire, totally science oriented, and I was like the cute pet of the world, friend with everybody.
Then suddenly, people start getting greedy, waging war with each other, and I'm in the middle because being friend with everyone, I suddenly was perceived as allied with each enemies, even tho I honestly didn't give a shit about other civs.
So, Alexander, with the most powerful army in the world, attacks me to get a dumb city in the middle of the jungle I used basically just for the science-jungle bonus. The city falls, he razes it and negotiate peace.
Fuck off, but ok: I got only three cities left but they were super happy, productive and science oriented, so it was fine.

Around the year 1990, while I was fully commited in building space stuff, I declare war against me without a single fucking reason.
After like 15 years of war, he couldn't conquer shit because I was dumb the first time, without any army at all, but the second I was prepared.

So, he asked for peace.

In the agreement there was the usual mile-long list of both of us allied city states to make peace with.
Ok.
Click accept.

Hidden in the middle of that list there was a fucking fine print saying I was going to givee him every city except the capital.

Now I really want to go out in the street punching people in the face because FML

Wait, the game actually does that? Do you lose all of your cities immediately upon clicking accept?

some spares

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Puzzle Bots -- MB-26F13F6F02101C7D - Taken by 8 X 11 Printer Paper. 2 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-729A2D5B0B758E91 - Taken by Pakkidis. 5 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-157E8B1C843FF01A - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-16F60D3CD89BE8EA - Taken by nature boy. 1 entrants total.

t1398379299z1.png

vg260

An extra:
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

VVVVVV -- MB-3652F2FF89CA3619

t1398379389z1.png

Copons

Wait, the game actually does that? Do you lose all of your cities immediately upon clicking accept?

I honestly can't remember if it asked me for a confirmation, but in case it was just the usual "are you sure?", with no hint whatsoever about me modbotting all my empire without the blacklist flag.

Also, the game doesn't even show a notification (the circle thingies that pop up on the right), so it actually took me a little bit to realize that everything suddenly switched colors. :'(

zkylon

zkylewd
have fun

instructions for participants
i am giving away 3 steam keys. to enter this giveaway, send a pm to modbot with any subject line. in the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering)

rules for this giveaway
- if you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. you need five or more posts in either the current steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- this giveaway has a manual blocklist. the giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating
- do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. don't claim games to give them to friends off-site
- if the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. replies may take a minute or two

VVVVVV -- MB-13533F928C0C4927 - Taken by PandaPedinte
Cave Story Plus -- MB-9A60A3FCAFDDAEF6
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-4BA047ACC100F425 - Taken by Evrain

fuck capitalization

fuck capitalism

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you don't mind me asking were you born with no sense of smell or did you lose it ?

Both my dad and my sister have no sense of smell whilst I do (both born without it). It's funny as whilst I obviously don't know what their 'experience' is when tasting things when I have a bad cold or something blocks my nose my sense of taste is completely fucked up. With them it doesn't make a blind bit of difference :p Just cool the way the human body adapts to things like that.

I was born with a very faint sense of smell, but have lost it completely as I've gotten older. It's kind of weird (for me) because a lot of times I'll remember things from my childhood while simultaneously remembering what it smelled like. Since the olfactory nerve is located very close to the amygdala, it makes sense.

For a lot of people, smelling something invokes a memory. For me, it only works in the opposite direction. For example, the other day my wife bought some Tang, which I hadn't drank since I was a kid. This brought back memories of being a kid and drinking Tang, and remembering what the powder smelled like (in my memory, it's quite a strong odor). But as hard as I tried, I simply couldn't smell the powder now.

Aitor

have fun
ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Puzzle Bots -- MB-66820A210DD6919A - Taken by Terra_Ex
VVVVVV -- MB-1E3A1592F85D0FC0
Cave Story Plus -- MB-8BC86C7FB4C47766 - Taken by user237
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-34692FD78F116A04 - Taken by Sub Zero

thanks binary pork

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

VVVVV- -- MB-53FE336E80FAB9BB - Taken by nightstorm
Thomas Was Alone- -- MB-B9AFC2893C47EA70 - Taken by Dambrosi
Puzzle Bots- -- MB-EDF9FCD80092959F - Taken by rainking187

mrgone

I honestly can't remember if it asked me for a confirmation, but in case it was just the usual "are you sure?", with no hint whatsoever about me modbotting all my empire without the blacklist flag.

Also, the game doesn't even show a notification (the circle thingies that pop up on the right), so it actually took me a little bit to realize that everything suddenly switched colors. :'(

Still, that's nuts that they'd slip those kind of things into Civ 5's diplomacy. It's the kind of thing that would lead to it being spotted and all good-will lost due to shitty underhanded bullshit, or the contract being ignored and all good-will lost to shitty underhanded bullshit. It's like a too-late-on-Saturday-morning cartoon lesson on the value of literacy, starring talking cats and ridiculous sitiations that could never happen. You should be able to summon Captain Planet after that kind of moustache-twiddling villainy.

I was born with a very faint sense of smell, but have lost it completely as I've gotten older. It's kind of weird (for me) because a lot of times I'll remember things from my childhood while simultaneously remembering what it smelled like. Since the olfactory nerve is located very close to the amygdala, it makes sense.

For a lot of people, smelling something invokes a memory. For me, it only works in the opposite direction. For example, the other day my wife bought some Tang, which I hadn't drank since I was a kid. This brought back memories of being a kid and drinking Tang, and remembering what the powder smelled like (in my memory, it's quite a strong odor). But as hard as I tried, I simply couldn't smell the powder now.

So is your sense of taste affected as well, since part of tasting something is smelling it?

have fun

fuck capitalization

fuck capitalism

Thanks

So, he asked for peace.

Ok.
Click accept.

/dead

Copons

Still, that's nuts that they'd slip those kind of things into Civ 5's diplomacy. It's the kind of thing that would lead to it being spotted and all good-will lost due to shitty underhanded bullshit, or the contract being ignored and all good-will lost to shitty underhanded bullshit. It's like a too-late-on-Saturday-morning cartoon lesson on the value of literacy, starring talking cats and ridiculous sitiations that could never happen.

Well, in Civ defense, it's actually pretty common to trade cities in the trading screen.
It's just that both me and Greece were allied with a shit ton of city states that entered the war along us. So in the agreement it was normal to have a huge list of "make peace with--".
Just... below the scroll... there was also me giving out 2 out of 3 cities I had left. :D

Divius

Looks like Dark Souls 2 is out. Time to get paranoid about spoilers, hoping for impressions later on.

Cheapest atm is still at Nuuvem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom