• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So is your sense of taste affected as well, since part of tasting something is smelling it?

Yes very much so in the traditional sense. When you lose your sense of smell, you're essentially losing your ability to disseminate flavors from one another. I can still sense whether or not something is sweet, sour, etc but I can't really taste much difference between chicken and beef, for example.

It's weird how the human body compensates for things like this. For me, I have a food preference that's geared almost entirely on a food's texture. For example, I can't stand eating mushrooms (even though they taste like pretty much everything else) because I don't like the way they feel when I'm eating them. My wife
bless her
thinks I'm a particularly picky eater.

Anyway, didn't mean to start posting so much off topic, but I'm happy to answer any other questions via PM. :)

mrgone

Well, in Civ defense, it's actually pretty common to trade cities in the trading screen.
It's just that both me and Greece were allied with a shit ton of city states that entered the war along us. So in the agreement it was normal to have a huge list of "make peace with--".
Just... below the scroll... there was also me giving out 2 out of 3 cities I had left. :D

I still love Civ! I know it's not altogether serious, and some of that sense of humour is why the series is great, but this just seems like a bad cartoon plot where someone slips a sneaky little line into a contract and then everyone honours it because they have to. Maybe you can still still use your other alliances to make Alexander's life miserable :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, in Civ defense, it's actually pretty common to trade cities in the trading screen.
It's just that both me and Greece were allied with a shit ton of city states that entered the war along us. So in the agreement it was normal to have a huge list of "make peace with--".
Just... below the scroll... there was also me giving out 2 out of 3 cities I had left. :D
Can't you break the contract or something, or refuse to give him the towns and go back to war?

Can someone translate what someone not into working with all these mods (read: me) needs to do to easily make his Dark Souls 2 experience better? Do I need to do that nVidiaInterceptor configuration if I use the new GeDoSaTo? Do I just install GeDoSaTo and jack the resolution to insane heights and let it automatically downsample to my 1826x1084 resolution?

Get low

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ride'em Low -- MB-FF259690BFDBBCE8 - Taken by Ingueferroque

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Spice Road Steam Keys are now available

one has to go here

http://www.aartformgames.com/spiceroad/steam-key-convert.php

and enter the CD/Activation Key that came with the game

Just activated my copy

I guess I'm confused. The page is asking for the key that I enter the first time I play the game, not my Desura key. Do I have to download / install the game from Desura for it to give me some kind of key to enter here?

EDIT: The dev says that my "collection" page on Desura should have an in-game key that can be used, but mine doesn't.

I guess I'm confused. The page is asking for the key that I enter the first time I play the game, not my Desura key. Do I have to download / install the game from Desura for it to give me some kind of key to enter here?

EDIT: The dev says that my "collection" page on Desura should have an in-game key that can be used, but mine doesn't.

You got it from Groupees then, huh?
If you bought the IndieRoyale Debut 11, that has an in-game key.

Copons

I still love Civ! I know it's not altogether serious, and some of that sense of humour is why the series is great, but this just seems like a bad cartoon plot where someone slips a sneaky little line into a contract and then everyone honours it because they have to. Maybe you can still still use your other alliances to make Alexander's life miserable :)

Can't you break the contract or something, or refuse to give him the towns and go back to war?

Well, I actually could try to get back the traded city until they are still "contested" by their populations, but as I was saying, Alex have the hugest army in the entire world, while I had the bare minimum to protect myself, so I guess the best possible course of action would be
randomly slamming the keyboard in CSD Extreme Difficulty
starting a new game. :'(

MUnited83

For you.

Same issue here.

zkylon

zkylewd
a friend of mine just told me he dreamed he was at a cemetery and gabe newell was there

my friend approaches gabe and tells him he pirates all his game but a friend of his (me) loves steam and would like an autograph (i kinda would)

he gives him my name but gabe seems to have issues with tildes so he says make it out to zkylon

gabe tells him that's anti-jew and sends him off

:/

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

I just used the one from the IndieRoyale page

nixOY1G.png

rookiejet

Here's some Humble Bundle games I already have or don't want. Enjoy!

Wooo! I won! Thanks, BinaryPork2737!

And thanks, jaundicejuice, for the continuing Endless Legend impressions.

Oh for christ sake, I just got EULA-ed by the motherfucking Alexander the Great in Civ5.

Reload that save and go for the nukes. This flagrant recalcitrance will not be tolerated! Damn AI need to be taught their place.

Have fun with Dark Souls 2, guys (though, I doubt you'll be reading this.)

Oh for christ sake, I just got EULA-ed by the motherfucking Alexander the Great in Civ5.

Basically, I was leading this super cool tiny Korean empire, totally science oriented, and I was like the cute pet of the world, friend with everybody.
Then suddenly, people start getting greedy, waging war with each other, and I'm in the middle because being friend with everyone, I suddenly was perceived as allied with each enemies, even tho I honestly didn't give a shit about other civs.
So, Alexander, with the most powerful army in the world, attacks me to get a dumb city in the middle of the jungle I used basically just for the science-jungle bonus. The city falls, he razes it and negotiate peace.
Fuck off, but ok: I got only three cities left but they were super happy, productive and science oriented, so it was fine.

Around the year 1990, while I was fully commited in building space stuff, I declare war against me without a single fucking reason.
After like 15 years of war, he couldn't conquer shit because I was dumb the first time, without any army at all, but the second I was prepared.

So, he asked for peace.

In the agreement there was the usual mile-long list of both of us allied city states to make peace with.
Ok.
Click accept.

Hidden in the middle of that list there was a fucking fine print saying I was going to givee him every city except the capital.

It took me like 10 seconds to realize, than I rage quit.

Now I really want to go out in the street punching people in the face because FML

lol

Come on, fine print? Isn't you giving him your cities is at the top of the list, like right above making peace with all of the city-states that are allied with Greece? And they're probably all allied with Greece because of that ridiculous city-state relationship bonus Alexander has.

Even when I go science focused--Tradition, Patronage(dem city-state science bonuses) and Rationalism--I maintain an army. You have to maintain an army at all times no matter what your end-game goal is. The size of your army directly correlates to how the A.I. Civs will interact with you. With the way the A.I. is designed in that game, you're competing with everyone. Do not ever trust your immediate neighbours. Ever. Every time you enter the leader dialogue screen, mouse over their name and you'll get a list of relationship modifiers. You will see a list of modifiers in muted or bright green and red. Your immediate neighbours will always covet land you own, hell, Civs half way around the world will. You can compete for wonders, city-state relations, make a declaration of friendship with one of their enemies, choose a different ideology. You can have the same religion, same ideology, denounce or declare war against a common foe, trade with them, etc. If your army is close to, equal to or greater than theirs in size they are less likely to declare war on you. But using these relationship modifiers you can figure out who is going to be your friend, for a while, and who is going to be denouncing you and harassing you for the rest of the game.

You have to be cautious of who you declare friendship with and know that eventually everyone will turn on everyone else. I always pick one Civ, maybe two if I am lucky, to be friends with throughout a game. If you're going for a science victory you need to have decent diplomatic relations with one or two other Civs so you can get those tasty, tasty research agreements. Sometimes strategically denouncing a specific Civ can be a strong, positive relationship modifier with other Civs. If you have a lot of trade networks established with another Civ they are less likely to declare war on you. Religion can be useful early to mid-game. You can either accept theirs and spread it through your cities or make your own and spread it to them.

With the Tradition policy track you get a maintenance free unit, so long as it's garrisoned in a city, to go along with all of those other nice bonuses; massive borders, more happiness and money from your capitol, some maintenance free buildings in your first three cities, etc. Tradition will give you a strong early game economy and allow you to maintain a decent army. It doesn't have to be huge and with your science focus it will likely be more advanced and upgraded. With Patronage you get increased influence with City-States, this important as you'll also get a percentage of their total science output if they are your allies. They'll also gift you with military units if they are a militaristic city-state and they'll also gift you great people, which is awesome if you're playing as Korea because of the science bonuses great people tile improvements provide. With Rationalism you get the Porcelain Tower, important if you have a lot invested in research agreements, and all of those other awesome science bonuses.

Patronage is also important for gaining control of the world congress. Not only do you get increased influence with City-States but a Patronage policy wonder, the Forbidden Palace, that gives you more votes. You can use the World Congress to help influence other Civs, positively or negatively. Even abstaining from certain votes is helpful because then certain Civs won't dislike you for defeating their nominated policies. Sometimes though, you got to. Plus with the world congress under your control you can make sure events you want to happen occur, like the world trade fair or international space station.

tldr: Always maintain a decent standing army, no matter what your end-game goal is, be it a science or culture victory. The size of your military directly influences how other Civs will choose to interact with you.

derExperte

Dark Souls 2 already at over 50.000 players.

So, yeah... SteamCharts data is just plain wrong, not sure why Enhanced Steam keeps using it.
Steam stats page shows 52,635 online in Dark Souls, SteamCharts shows peak of 2,142.

That was the number earlier, wait a few minutes.

Knurek

So, yeah... SteamCharts data is just plain wrong, not sure why Enhanced Steam keeps using it.
Steam stats page shows 52,635 online in Dark Souls, SteamCharts shows peak of 2,142.

Copons

lol

Come on, fine print? Isn't you giving him your cities is at the top of the list, like right above making peace with all of the city-states that are allied with Greece? And they're probably all allied with Greece because of that ridiculous city-state relationship bonus Alexander has.

Even when I go science focused--Tradition, Patronage(dem city-state science bonuses) and Rationalism--I maintain an army. You have to maintain an army at all times no matter what your end-game goal is. The size of your army directly correlates to how the A.I. Civs will interact with you. With the way the A.I. is designed in that game, you're competing with everyone. Do not ever trust your immediate neighbours. Ever. Every time you enter the leader dialogue screen, mouse over their name and you'll get a list of relationship modifiers. You will see a list of modifiers in muted or bright green and red. Your immediate neighbours will always covet land you own, hell, Civs half way around the world will. You can compete for wonders, city-state relations, make a declaration of friendship with one of their enemies, choose a different ideology. You can have the same religion, same ideology, denounce or declare war against a common foe, trade with them, etc. If your army is close to, equal to or greater than theirs in size they are less likely to declare war on you.

You have to be cautious of who you declare friendship with and know that eventually everyone will turn on everyone else. I always pick one Civ, maybe two if I am lucky, to be friends with throughout a game. If you're going for a science victory you need to have decent diplomatic relations with one or two other Civs so you can get those tasty, tasty research agreements. Sometimes strategically denouncing a specific Civ can be a strong, positive relationship modifier with other Civs. If you have a lot of trade networks established with another Civ they are less likely to declare war on you. Religion can be useful early to mid-game. You can either accept theirs and spread it through your cities or make your own and spread it to them.

With the Tradition policy track you get a maintenance free unit, so long as it's garrisoned in a city, to go along with all of those other nice bonuses; massive borders, more happiness and money from your capitol, some maintenance free buildings in your first three cities, etc. Tradition will give you a strong early game economy and allow you to maintain a decent army. It doesn't have to be huge and with your science focus it will likely be more advanced and upgraded. With Patronage you get increased influence with City-States, this important as you'll also get a percentage of their total science output if they are your allies. They'll also gift you with military units if they are a militaristic city-state and they'll also gift you great people, which is awesome if you're playing as Korea because of the science bonuses great people tile improvements provide. With Rationalism you get the Porcelain Tower, important if you have a lot invested in research agreements, and all of those other awesome science bonuses.

tldr: Always maintain a decent standing army, no matter what your end-game goal is, be it a science or culture victory. The size of your military directly influences how other Civs will choose to interact with you.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I'm aware of the modifiers of relationships (even though I discovered them casually after 50 hours or so, because I probably never hovered on names before :D ), but yours are great advices nonetheless. Especially because I usually go (mostly accidentally :D ) for the cultural victory mixed with a huge army to expand in my continent of origin as soon as possible to be as safe as I can be later.
So, I'm just not used to playing with an underpowered army, and usually it's not my modus operandi, but in this case I spawned in a really shitty place, with ONLY ivory as luxury resource around, so I lost a LOT of time in search of at least another resource to expand a little bit avoiding the happines penalty due to difficulty level.
And when I finally was able to expand, I found my entire continent conquered between Alexander and Pacal (destroyed by Alex during the reinassance), so I had to go overseas, losing plenty of time I could have spent in everything else really. :(

But now, I'm totally going to start a new game with Korea, as I found it plenty fun to play with all those science bonuses I really need, as I totally want to see the motherfucking science victory in Civ5 at least once!

EDIT:

also
YEAH, FINE PRINT! :D

I mean, those peace agreements are usually super boring, they could put the city trades in the very center of the screen, I still wouldn't notice them. :D
And I'm totally sure, the next time someone will pull a thing like this again against me, I'll have forgotten about today, and I'll lose everything again. :D

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Funny thing, for Desura/Indie Royale buyers, you can get two keys, first from Desura's collection page, second from the dev page The_Super_Inframan linked to.

Really?

My collection page shows the same key as the IndieRoyale site (as it should) and no extra Steam key...

jshackles

SteamCharts updates their data only once every few hours. I think they "prioritize" certain games once they hit the top 100 and update more frequently.

It'll just take time for SteamCharts' data to catch up since the game just released, at most a few hours.

EDIT: just got updated. That was quick.

Funny thing, for Desura/Indie Royale buyers, you can get two keys, first from Desura's collection page, second from the dev page The_Super_Inframan linked to.

The one on my indieroyale page matches the one on my collection page.

Guys who got Spice Road with Groupees : You have to download and launch the game from the Desura Client.

I thought it might be something like that... I wonder if I did that if I'd get an extra in-game key to redeem...

--

I can't decide what class to make in Dark Souls II -- or what gift to take! CURSES!

jshackles

Knurek

The one on my indieroyale page matches the one on my collection page.
I thought it might be something like that... I wonder if I did that if I'd get an extra in-game key to redeem...

Yep, that's what I did - redeemed Steam key with Desura Client, then generated the in-game key and redeemed that on dev's page.
Didn't use the second key (no need to), but both were different.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man DS2 ran so smoothly for the 5 minutes I tried... Fucking work! I wanna go home :(

What bundle(s) have Spice Road?

Wtf did GMG hire Valves customer service? and by that I mean did GMG buy Valves strategy to have non-existent customer service? I have a 3 day old ticket!

Grief.exe

Dark souls II initial impressions

Game launched fine
DS4 tool works perfectly
60FPS/1080p 50% GPU usage with maxed settings on 560 ti.

Playing around with SLI SGSSAA right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom