• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel like a lot of the controversy over the game was way over the top, and had more to do with the dumbass things developers said ("you want to protect her") rather than the actual content of the game, which was mostly inoffensive. I can't remember the specific "attempted rape" scene in a lot of detail, but as I recall it was more than a creepy badguy made a couple of gross comments about Lara, and then in a later scene he tries to kill you when you are escaping (with no sexual overtones), but because of the way they cut the trailers pre release it made it look like the two were the same scene. But it's always possible that they changed it in response to the outcry.

The moaning though... well it's weird. I mean you would expect someone in excruciating pain to make some kind of audible sound, but maybe not those particular sounds. It's not an uncommon problem in video games actually. It's funny how the noises male characters in games make when they are in pain never get confused for... other things. Not sure why that's the case for women.

But then the game is thoroughly mediocre, so don't feel the need to go out of your way to play it.
women and men are portrayed differently in videogames, it's just how it is

seldom you will find a male protagonist that looks weak or helpless or frail or whatever. you'll never "want to protect" a male protagonist

it's kind of why i liked valkyria so much, it has a non-macho protagonist that's still heroic but not in that boring way every other macho male hero is, he's sensitive and affectionate and all that stuff.

and like for all that's been said about the last of us, it may have really good writing and everything but it's still that same old troy baker anti-hero stuff

tbh it's like TR legend with a bigger map

people like to compare it to uncharted but if you ignore uncharted exists it's like legend/underworld with some shooter influence but of course a lot less puzzles/platforming.

it's not a bad game, but it doesn't do anything good, and overall it focused too much on its shitty story

well i haven't played any tomb raider game except the first one so i dunno

i don't really care

just the whole 'female protagonist' thing but it seems to be played for sexy stuff that's not very interesting to me and like i don't like uncharted climbing

louiedog

Thanks to the anonymous person who gave away Secret of the Magic Crystals earlier.

80029774c0.jpg

Jawmuncher

w

just the whole 'female protagonist' thing but it seems to be played for sexy stuff that's not very interesting to me and like i don't like uncharted climbing

The last thing I thought of in TR was sexy. I thought they did a pretty good job with her in the new one in terms of that. The biggest issue was just "I've never killed before!", and then turns around killing with no impact to it to her psyche. That might be a bit much to ask for in a game but they just handled it really bad. Which is why I said earlier the story did a lot for me not liking the game. The earlier PR talk about wanting to protect her and stuff was just all kinds of wrong and to me doesn't represent what is actually there.
Still not going to recommend it though. But just wanted to put my 2 cents about the sexy stuff which isn't even in the game.
EDIT: If you meant by people playing the game because it's a female protag/they find her attractive that's a whole different matter entirely.

Miguel81

Beat FEAR 2 and it just came and went. As I said earlier it just feels so soulless compared to the first. Aside from some story theme's here and there it was just a ok FPS. I can at least say I have played the whole series now.

After all of that though i'm ready to go back to pillars of eternity.

The school section and the ending are what I remember most vividly from FEAR 2. Pretty WTF moments.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Project Night -- MB-4A02F6D38DCF5C0C - Taken by Purkake4
Pineview Drive -- MB-3BC91B80B77E89E9 - Taken by Natty1

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Got to say it.

I complained a lot about DoA 5

But the game runs smootly on PC, and the modding arena has come onboard.
This game has been a lot of fun for me.

I was a complete noob on DoA (think I played the 1st one on PS1), but the game is both, deep and simple to pick up.
I like this game.

DoA 5 PC, come in for the boobs and mods, stay in for the gameplay.

Nice to see people see there is more than just boobs to the game. ;___;

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I always seem to have the worst luck with card foils, I get foils that no one ever buys unless I put it for stupidly cheap. The buy orders on these foil cards are less than they are for the regular version of the card in most cases.

_hekk05

Banned
I always seem to have the worst luck with card foils, I get foils that no one ever buys unless I put it for stupidly cheap. The buy orders on these foil cards are less than they are for the regular version of the card in most cases.

Just put it up for a price and leave it be. Some of my cards only get bought after a few months.

I have 4 foils built up, haven't even bothered trying to sell them. One previous foil took 6+ months to sell.

Messiah

I can't decide whether I should finish Neptunia finally or begin my PoE playthrough so I just end up playing a map of CS: GO everytime. The daily struggle.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of texhnolyze, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (texhnolyze, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Enclave -- MB-C4F692E34A71A787 - Taken by Conrad Link. 2 entrants total.
Knights and Merchants HD -- MB-7997EEF7C4CAA5B9 - Taken by Alastor. 1 entrants total.
Knightshift -- MB-BC8FCECBAB8CC7FC - Taken by bigace33. 1 entrants total.
Two Worlds Epic Edition -- MB-092573A5419D9B3E - Taken by Backlogger. 1 entrants total.

t1428382429z1.png

I'm probably gonna regret causing so much Chaos in Dishonored, but stealth kills in stealth games are always so satisfying. Although playing through Mark of the Ninja with no kills was pretty gratifying too.

Yeah, seems like it's always been the same for me. Though I recently did just sell one I had forgotten about as I had put it up a while ago at a decently good price, so it can happen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm probably gonna regret causing so much Chaos in Dishonored, but stealth kills in stealth games are always so satisfying. Although playing through Mark of the Ninja with no kills was pretty gratifying too.

Dishonored shines as an action game.

JaseC

zkylon

zkylewd
...help me god i'm 27 years old

thanks steamgaf for bearing with me and being my home for yet another year!

couldn't have survived without you

The last thing I thought of in TR was sexy. I thought they did a pretty good job with her in the new one in terms of that. The biggest issue was just "I've never killed before!", and then turns around killing with no impact to it to her psyche. That might be a bit much to ask for in a game but they just handled it really bad. Which is why I said earlier the story did a lot for me not liking the game. The earlier PR talk about wanting to protect her and stuff was just all kinds of wrong and to me doesn't represent what is actually there.
Still not going to recommend it though. But just wanted to put my 2 cents about the sexy stuff which isn't even in the game.
EDIT: If you meant by people playing the game because it's a female protag/they find her attractive that's a whole different matter entirely.
well like i like female protagonists so i usually try those games out. doesn't mean i'll actually enjoy the game or anything, just that it's usually the stuff i'm kind of interested in

but yea i duno i felt like that conan o brien bit of him playing the game was enough tomb raider for me

never been a fan of the series, anyways

...help me god i'm 27 years old

thanks steamgaf for bearing with me and being my home for yet another year!

couldn't have survived without you

well like i like female protagonists so i usually try those games out. doesn't mean i'll actually enjoy the game or anything, just that it's usually the stuff i'm kind of interested in

but yea i duno i felt like that conan o brien bit of him playing the game was enough tomb raider for me

never been a fan of the series, anyways

Happy birthday~

Regarding Tomb Raider, I hope Rise will eliminate that supernatural skill of Lara on the reboot.
The series was doing fine without all the hand-holding features attached.

JaseC

The club of 26 is now 27.

Oh, I see how it is. :(

Regarding Tomb Raider, I hope Rise will eliminate that supernatural skill of Lara on the reboot.
The series was doing fine without all the hand-holding features attached.

Not much will change. Squeenix can't risk alienating a portion of those 8.5 million potential customers. Once a franchise has been streamlined to much success, it's streamlined for good short of another reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom