• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

I can get why people think Hitman Absolution is terrible. I can certainly get why people think Thief is terrible. But Tomb Raider?

It defines banal, dumb and uninspired AAA game design. Nothing original or noteworthy here, an Uncharted rip off, and a game you'll forget a couple days after you forget it.

It defines banal, dumb and uninspired AAA game design. Nothing original or noteworthy here, an Uncharted rip off, and a game you'll forget a couple days after you forget it.

Uncharted never came to PC, so I'd never played one...therefore I was okay with this.

Also, "unoriginal" is several steps away from "terrible."

Deitus

it's kinda weird that i haven't even played the new tomb raider game but i dunno, like all the moaning and attempted rape

looks icky

I feel like a lot of the controversy over the game was way over the top, and had more to do with the dumbass things developers said ("you want to protect her") rather than the actual content of the game, which was mostly inoffensive. I can't remember the specific "attempted rape" scene in a lot of detail, but as I recall it was more than a creepy badguy made a couple of gross comments about Lara, and then in a later scene he tries to kill you when you are escaping (with no sexual overtones), but because of the way they cut the trailers pre release it made it look like the two were the same scene. But it's always possible that they changed it in response to the outcry.

The moaning though... well it's weird. I mean you would expect someone in excruciating pain to make some kind of audible sound, but maybe not those particular sounds. It's not an uncommon problem in video games actually. It's funny how the noises male characters in games make when they are in pain never get confused for... other things. Not sure why that's the case for women.

But then the game is thoroughly mediocre, so don't feel the need to go out of your way to play it.

dex3108

I will go crazy before i finish GTA IV XD I played GTA 3, GTA VC and GTA SA one after another last year and i loved them, and this year i really have issue to play GTA IV.

Anteater

it's kinda weird that i haven't even played the new tomb raider game but i dunno, like all the moaning and attempted rape

sounds icky

tbh it's like TR legend with a bigger map

people like to compare it to uncharted but if you ignore uncharted exists it's like legend/underworld with some shooter influence but of course a lot less puzzles/platforming.

it's not a bad game, but it doesn't do anything good, and overall it focused too much on its shitty story

dex3108

tbh it's like TR legend with a bigger map

people like to compare it to uncharted but if you ignore uncharted exists it's like legend/underworld with some shooter influence but of course a lot less puzzles/platforming.

it's not a bad game, but it doesn't do anything good, and overall it focused too much on its shitty story

I thought it was a pretty fun game, then again I never played any of the older Tomb Raider games before so I didn't know what to expect

Edit: yeah the story was bad though haha.

If you didn't like TR story you would hate story from comics XD

But but but it sold badly, some Squenix dude said so! =p

Remember it took them like 16 years to make it and they restarted 4 times. In that context, it needed to sell like 300 million copies to make their money back.

This is of course the fault of gamers.

To me, the best way to sum up the new Tomb Raider was via the preorder DLC. They included an upgrade system, potentially to provide some sort of sense of satisfaction with your progress, but then proceeded to unlock parts of it for you anyway.

And it was all ultimately worthless.

It was a fun game, it was just too dumb in just about every important way.

Anteater

If you didn't like TR story you would hate story from comics XD

yeah never read the comics

i'm not really against its story, some of my favorite games have worse story telling, but just that the game focused too much on it

i think they focused on the wrong aspects, I do think whatever they presented with the game were well done (better than let's say TR legend), but they aren't unique enough and not good enough compared to other TPSes and the rest of the TR stuff aren't as good as the TR games, so it's like a jack of all trades.

Elija2

Goddamnit, I tried redeeming a key for a game that I already own to see if it was valid and it ended up redeeming it (I guess it was a different version of the same game). If I contact Steam support about it, what are the odds that they'll revoke that key from my account so I can give it to someone else?

Midtown Madness had a profound effect on me. :p Speaking of which, Microsoft ought to re-release all of the Madness games. I wasted so many hours on the demo for the original Motocross Madness.
That reminds me, Midtown Madness 2 is one of the few physical games I still have. Came bundled with Windows or Works I think.
MM2 was so much fun. Doubt it holds up at all though. Buildings were weirdly small compared to your car, haha. There are also no pedestrians.

It is like thar Monster Madness game from Microsoft. Really fun but has not that much meat and doesn't hold up well. These are nostalgia-games; best left in our memories.

dex3108

yeah never read the comics

i'm not really against its story, some of my favorite games have worse story telling, but just that the game focused too much on it

i think they focused on the wrong aspects, I do think whatever they presented with the game were well done (better than let's say TR legend), but they aren't unique enough and not good enough compared to other TPSes and the rest of the TR stuff aren't as good as the TR games, so it's like a jack of all trades.

Remember how they promoted new Lara as vulnerable girl? Well in comics she survived helicopter attack, Chernobyl without mask, she doesn't have any issues they showed in that RoTR tralier... Story in comics really bad and comics should connect two games.

They could learn few things from Arkham Knight comics.

Dsyndrome

So Amazon bought Crytek? What's next, Texas Instruments buying thatgamecompany?

Wish I had $50 million lying around to buy things.

Jawmuncher

I'm still curious as to where these Military things end up. You would assume military but I dunno. Must be some top secret shit that we somehow know about.

Maybe there's a better place to ask this, but I need some help figuring out if I'm getting ripped off or something...

Long story short, had to send my PSU in to get replaced, seemed to be responsible for the coil whine I was having. It was delivered to them about a week ago, but I hadn't gotten any updates, so I checked in with support to ask what was up. I guess they're pretty backed up, so it's going slow for them. Guy said he could "upgrade" my PSU for the trouble, but looking at it, it doesn't look like much of an upgrade to me.

I had a Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620W (why is it $300? I only paid $100 on Amazon), and this supposed upgrade is to a Cooler Master GM Series G650M.

The G650M is cheaper, and has less connectors, and no good reviews that I can find. Plus I looked around and saw that Cooler Master is pretty shitty when it comes to RMAs, so I'm worried I'd be getting jipped. But then again, I'm still a newbie, so what do I know.

Got to say it.

I complained a lot about DoA 5

But the game runs smootly on PC, and the modding arena has come onboard.
This game has been a lot of fun for me.

I was a complete noob on DoA (think I played the 1st one on PS1), but the game is both, deep and simple to pick up.
I like this game.

DoA 5 PC, come in for the boobs and mods, stay in for the gameplay.

Replaying Dead Space. This is a great game.

Grabbed DS2 for £2.49 in prep for my trilogy play. I've played the first a few times but only made it so far and then stopped for one reason or another. I like it, the story and the vibe of the games enough I know I'll enjoy a full trilogy play.

I should get round it but MKX is out in a few days and It's going to be a time sink. Not to mention I've got Bloodborne sitting virtually unplayed alongside a backlog bigger than the great wall.

Dirty Bomb is a pretty cool game, and it's fairly easy to get a good loadout going without paying anything. The shooting feels great and all the classes have cool abilities and gadgets. The only problem I've had with the game is the terrible team balancing, every single game is a blowout, you just hope you randomly end up on the winning side, and also it seems that some classes (sniper) and weapons (some of the SMGs) are overpowered, but I would imagine they would fix those soon.

So Amazon bought Crytek? What's next, Texas Instruments buying thatgamecompany?

Wish I had $50 million lying around to buy things.
Holy Smokes whaaaat?!?!

Still remember like it was yesterday how my mind was blown by Crysis. To think I expected Crytek to become only better with time. How disappointing they ended.

I actually beleive with Amazon at the helm it can only get better.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm still curious as to where these Military things end up. You would assume military but I dunno. Must be some top secret shit that we somehow know about.

I would love to work on something using a modern engine to do PTSD stuff. If I ever do go to grad/med school, I want to do something like that. Help trauma or suicide survivors.

r3n4ud

Was hoping for the Valve games to be part of the weeklies. My son wants Garry's mod. Goes on sale often, but it won't until the summer sale since I want it, haha.

Nzyme32

I'm so tempted to buy MKX, but i have to be strong and wait for netcode impressions.

you don't have to wait for impressions - we already know the netcode will be shit ;)

I'm still holding out some hope since it has had some fairly heavy testing on Steam since February with up to 70 users at once, which I rarely see for unreleased games. Not that that means much, but I like to hope for things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom