• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing still required for that is a FF12 "HD", there have been lots of rumblings but not yet anything concrete.

I would probably actually buy that one, seeing as I never played the original version. Out of all the FFs I haven't played it's probably the one I'm most interested in.

And yeah was wondering about the crazy downloads. Seems..harmless?

Knurek

btw have you even played it? FF12, I mean.

I have the PS2 original and spent around 100 hours on the game.
Loved every second of it and I'm planning to replay IZJS soonish (unless, of course, we're getting Steam edition).

Ahahaha, PS4 Remote play has 100ms of lag on PC, terrible macro blocking and is limited to 720p.
Good job, Sony.

So, do we know what Steam's little download-a-palooza was? Are there any reports of saves being lost?

I shut Steam down as a precaution.

No idea.

zg402Eb.jpg

You'd think the data spike would have set off some alarms at least.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, do we know what Steam's little download-a-palooza was? Are there any reports of saves being lost?

I shut Steam down as a precaution.

There was a bug that resulted in the contents of some _CommonRedist folders being wiped.

Rivitur

Banned

Ludens

Banned
Yo durante what is your verdict of ff9 pc port?

For me the port is good enough. Yeah, there's a great difference between the model of characters (updated) and the background, but I like it because it seems very "cartoonish".
FMV have a good quality too, the only bad thing, for me, is the fact my XBox One controller doesn't work when I boot the game. I need to start the title with the controller unplugged, load a save, plug the controller, alt+tab to the desktop and turn in-game again, after this the controller works well, otherwise it's not recognized.

Red Hood

Banned
There was a bug that resulted in the contents of some _CommonRedist folders being wiped.

So they deleted it yesterday on accident and now they're downloading it again? Yesterday tons of my games seemed to update but not actually downloading anything, but today the exact same games are downloading rather huge files (~100/150MB files a piece).

JaseC

So they deleted it yesterday and now they're downloading it again? Yesterday tons of my games seemed to update but not actually downloading anything, but today the exact same games are downloading rather huge files (~100/150MB files a piece).

Yeah.

No idea.

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/zg402Eb.jpg[/img]

You'd think the data spike would have set off some alarms at least.

It will be on someone's desk this morning.

Gabe will go straight from the bladeworking shop to Valve HQ. Closing his door with a strange quiet. Passing the closest bathrooms to route by this person. Sighing dramatically. Glint of a fixed blade's crossguard.

Ahh. So, no reported losses? Letting the update refill those folders should do the trick?

Phinor

The news article is misleading. Bugbear has not filed for bankruptcy, someone who is owed money by Bugbear has requested bankruptcy for Bugbear. It doesn't make the situation much better but it is a significant difference, for now.

Personally I have been a fan of Bugbear ever since Rally Trophy so seeing them fumble so badly in the last 3+ years is disheartening. Everything looked great around two years ago when Wreckfest became a small success in early access but that was over two years ago, the game is still in early access and doesn't look like it's going to be a finished product anytime soon (ignoring possible bankruptcy). Something has gone wrong within Bugbear, either they have been prioritizing other work over Wreckfest (but surely that other work would sustain them?) or.. well, I don't really have an alternative. Wreckfest is their main product and it's not developing at a reasonable rate. Someone somewhere messed up.

Arthea

I imagine that alarms at the valve hq is some funky dance music and as they party all the time, they just dance to it more vigorously.

Red Hood

Banned
Ahh. So, no reported losses? Letting the update refill those folders should do the trick?

Well, that depends on what you consider losses. I've tested some of my updated games and all save files work. But in Arkham Knight the graphics settings were reverted to default (30fps lock on Normal), so I had to change that.

But nothing major so far.

edit: Hmm, Deus Ex HR doesn't seem to launch any more. Not sure if it's related to this bug, I'll do an integrity check.

Tizoc

Found a trader offering USD 13.5 for FF9. Seeing as my 27% off GMG code expired a day before this game went up, I'll avail for the traders in this case :p

chronomac

1OVXwng.png

Totally forgot Enhanced Steam did this. Happy 6 years to me.

Also, this is the updated list now:

• Final Fantasy I
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy VII
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII​
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2​
  • Final Fantasy XI
  • Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings​
  • Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy Type-0
  • Final Fantasy XIV
  • Final Fantasy XV

Final Fantasy 9 is out? Cool.
Even though you are correct on most points, after about 3-4 games and getting some of its ideas, I'm having some fun. Keep in mind that I have played mobas so I'm cool with some concepts and I'm only 5-6 games in. But yeah your points about visual clutter, a lot of stuff going on etc are correct. In dire need of a good tutorial, and a visual rework/de-cluttering.
I might do a couple more games. There is something there that could be fun but, man.
It's really odd as to why the game isn't in third person. The FPS doesn't look right with the huge size of weapons and other stuff.

I am convinced it was that became an FPS later.

Balthuk

I might do a couple more games. There is something there that could be fun but, man.

After 3 games I was ready to uninstall yet I gave it another day and I played like 3 hours straight this morning. So yeah give it one more shot then give up, I'm not saying it's perfect or anything, I won't be buying it for example, not full price.

Red Hood

Banned
I have a question regarding D3DOverrider. The recent Division patch somehow increases the 60fps cap to 62 which results in some screen tearing, especially inside. I know I can pick VSync in the menu, but not using it nets me a little performance increase.

Anyway, I always thought D3DOverrider locks it at your refresh rate but not necessarily getting the downsides from VSync (input lag). However, using words like VSync and tripple buffering makes me wonder if it's even different than Divison's base VSync to begin with...

After 3 games I was ready to uninstall yet I gave it another day and I played like 3 hours straight this morning. So yeah give it one more shot then give up, I'm not saying it's perfect or anything, I won't be buying it for example, not full price.

Yeah the fact that this is gonna be a 60 dollar game is the other thing that I totally forgot.

unrelated edit:
my laptop is on its last legs, can't cope with that much game playing anymore, crashes constantly now, I think that horrid Radeon is about to go in flames, it's getting hot now really fast too.
I really need to do something about my PC situation, but I can't just buy cheap hds, seeing as they keep dying on me and every other option is so bloody expensive! send help!

How old is your laptop? Mime has been on it's last legs for almost two years now. I just hope it can last some time until I'm finished with paying for my driver's license courses, because then I'll have some money to spare.

Jawmuncher

Final Fantasy 9 is out? Cool.

I don't see the game bombing, but it's not gonna be as big as Borderlands. Even though they are trying so hard to make it that.

my laptop is on its last legs, can't cope with that much game playing anymore, crashes constantly now, I think that horrid Radeon is about to go in flames, it's getting hot now really fast too.
I really need to do something about my PC situation, but I can't just buy cheap hds, seeing as they keep dying on me and every other option is so bloody expensive! send help!

How old is your laptop? Mime has been on it's last legs for almost two years now. I just hope it can last some time until I'm finished with paying for my driver's license courses, because then I'll have some money to spare.

Your computers might just be dirty and overheating. All you may need to do is open it up, clean it out and change your thermal paste.

shockdude

I have a question regarding D3DOverrider. The recent Division patch somehow increases the 60fps cap to 62 which results in some screen tearing, especially inside. I know I can pick VSync in the menu, but not using it nets me a little performance increase.

Anyway, I always thought D3DOverrider locks it at your refresh rate but not necessarily getting the downsides from VSync (input lag). However, using words like VSync and tripple buffering makes me wonder if it's even different than Divison's base VSync to begin with...
D3DOverrider simply forces VSync on and off for games that implement VSync poorly, it doesn't help with input lag. For that you need Rivatuner, which you can download standalone or with MSI Afterburner.

Edit: Added download links.

JaseC

Anybody claiming that the bug affected files stored outside of a game's redist folder is just a victim of coincidence. It didn't even delete the redist folders themselves, just the files therein.

Saty

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/code...er-posting-first-profit-in-five-years/0165458

Codemasters has made its first operational profit in five years
“The transition to the new machines has not been easy and in the last couple of years we have focused on what we are good at, doubling down on racing and cutting the areas which we didn’t feel were strategic for us. We have ended up in fiscal year 2016 with our first operational profit in five years, which is a big achievement.

“For as far as we can see, we are growing every year and we’re talking big double digits, we’re not talking about a few per cent.”

The firm’s big release this week, Dirt Rally, debuted at No.2 in the charts, and was just a handful of units behind Quantum Break.

He continued: “It’s a very positive time for the company. Dirt Rally has done very well. F1 2015 was successful, we did two-and-a-half times the number of units we did the year before. Our morale is up because when you do good games and they’re successful, your employees are happy. And, by the way, so are your shareholders.”

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy IX for $13.44 from Greenman? That sounds good to me.

Arthea

I'm not entirely sure, it's i3, so at least 5 years old? It's Dell Inspiron and they have onverheating problem, but it never was meant for gaming so I didn't paid much attention then. I bought Mitsubishi laptop, much better one later, but I gave it away for someone in need.
and my laptops usually don't live much longer past 4-5 years anyway, or PCs, or anything.

Your computers may just be dirty and overheating. All you may need to do is open it up and clean it out and change your thermal paste.

mine must have been born dirty, because it tended to overheat from a day one!
thanks for advice, anyway

Wow, the Skullgirls loyalty discount still isn't working.

what loyalty discount?

Anybody claiming that the bug affected files stored outside of a game's redist folder is just a victim of coincidence. It didn't even delete the redist folders themselves, just the files therein.

Nice. I'm mostly checking because my S/O has more than a month's worth of a full-time job into Stardew Valley, in addition to her actual full-time job, and I feared for the violence this world would see if that save was somehow affected.

I'd be bummed if I lost my progress in other games, but I grew up in a scenario where saving wasn't a guarantee, then required an obscenely small memory card segmented into blocks, some of which you illogically kept filled forever. "I'll go back and finish Chrono Cross!"

Jawmuncher

Supposedly, you're entitled to a 50% loyalty discount on 2nd Encore if you own any of the DLC. In practice, it seems like only people who actually bought previous DLC are entitled, not those who bought the game early and thus got the DLC for free.

That's kind of BS. Especially for those of us who are Kickstartet backers.

Arthea

Supposedly, you're entitled to a 50% loyalty discount on 2nd Encore if you own any of the DLC. In practice, it seems like only people who actually bought previous DLC are entitled, not those who bought the game early and thus got the DLC for free.

typical, it is Darksiders II situation all over again, or almost any situation lately, buying games doesn't count, only dlcs or season passes do.

Apparently, it's something on Valve's end.

isn't that just an excuse?
not that I know, but it was used as an excuse before

Not surprising....those are the best 3 outside of FF3 (6).

FF2 (4) is the overlooked gem of the series.

Laser-sharp focused story, as opposed to the early game meandering of FF3, that explodes in such a wild, weird way toward its end.

I dare say it's better than FF3, despite that game's incredibly inventive "island" section and the plot details that introduces.

Never having played a Final Fantasy game, I do want to get started with 7,8,9. Each looks unique.

The uniqueness of 7,8,9 are what's best about them. They are so totally of their own world, but still have this unifying umbrella of being a "Final Fantasy." The mechanics wind up totally different, as well, and somehow still retain the same feel.

Back to my previous mention of Chrono Cross... I've never finished it. I played through Trigger so, so many times. I've gotten nearly all of the endings on SNES, and have definitely done all that I know of through emulator.

Put this game on Steam. Let me correct this injustice. Without my lingering Trigger fandom intruding, I think I can finally enjoy Cross for what it is: batshit time/place/dimension insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom