• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodooray

Oh fuck, I need this.

But $17... anywhere cheaper?

Its cheaper on Humble Bundle (£12.79). More so if you are a Humble Monthly Subscriber.

Edit: Of course, its even cheaper if you are in the US ($16.79 exclusive of 10% additional monthly discount if you are already subbed)

Soulflarz

Banned
New Game Plus.

I have tests monday and tuesday X_X

I'll wait for the DLC, then do those and then maybe 100%

It's hard to justify getting all the unique things for a steam 100% compared to a platinum or such.
Like even now I'm not sure why I platinumed dark?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I have tests monday and tuesday X_X

I'll wait for the DLC, then do those and then maybe 100%

It's hard to justify getting all the unique things for a steam 100% compared to a platinum or such.
Like even now I'm not sure why I platinumed dark?

Get me Code of Princess and Final Fantasy IX. #ProblemSolved

Balthuk

Echoing most of this post since pretty much all of this shit is on point.

Battleborn is some of the most incoherent bullshit I have ever played. 1/3rd of your screen space is gun or bow in my case. Colors are there to just have color because "IT'S A MOBA SO WE GOTTA HAVE COLOR EVEN IF IT DOESN'T AESTHETICALLY MAKE ANY SENSE." while the character art direction makes me sad as all hell. I complained about League of Legends art but some of this stuff takes the cake.

Even though you are correct on most points, after about 3-4 games and getting some of its ideas, I'm having some fun. Keep in mind that I have played mobas so I'm cool with some concepts and I'm only 5-6 games in. But yeah your points about visual clutter, a lot of stuff going on etc are correct. In dire need of a good tutorial, and a visual rework/de-cluttering.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not even dying so much but actually trying to soak in the world and atmosphere, stopping to watch the vistas and reading the item descriptions and just appreciating the level design

i'm at like 17 hours on my main character and haven't even beaten one of the big 4 dudes (i'm at the
swamp area with the putting out fires stuff
), so can't imagine beating the whole game in that little time

i'd say "to each their own" but since you're in the annoying git gud dark souls attitude you don't get one of those

Soulflarz

Banned
i'm not even dying so much but actually trying to soak in the world and atmosphere, stopping to watch the vistas and reading the item descriptions and just appreciating the level design

i'm at like 17 hours on my main character and haven't even beaten one of the big 4 dudes (i'm at the
swamp area with the putting out fires stuff
), so can't imagine beating the whole game in that little time

i'd say "to each their own" but since you're in the annoying git gud dark souls attitude you don't get one of those

My counter is simply we all die too fast for me to stare at a landscape for longer than the 1m to take a picture-- it still isn't that interesting of an area :p

And I read plenty of item descriptions, I mainly play souls for the lore nowadays after all!

As for git gud: I say that because I never got why people say souls is harder than most games...
The fact people can finish it, yet the same people give up at the endgame content in Super Mario 3D World...kind of shows people think death being a mechanic=a game is hard, yet games that are much more technical...aren't? I dunno, be patient, souls enemies have the same four tells or something, lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
idk, feels like a pity to blow through it so fast when it's such a rare game that's kind of meant to be savored

i mean play it however you want, i'm notoriously slow with games, even games that are nowhere near as difficult or interesting, but that's never how i would do it

Final Fantasy IX and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture releasing with virtually no fanfare has me wigging out.
why, ff9 is like a billion years old and rapture is a walking simulator that didn't review too well on consoles

they're pretty specific games competing against freaking dark souls lol

im sure they got their fans but u know, im guessing most ppl are pretty busy dying over and over again in dark souls

Corpekata

Banned
I could probably put money down on me being the only person in SteamGAF excited for Rapture. Nobody even said anything about the 4K shots I posted yesterday ;-;

I'd have been excited if I hadn't already played it on PS4 under the presumption it was staying exclusive. Too soon for a double dip for me.

Some early impressions:

It's basically exactly what I expected: the mobile version wrought large for the PC. The menu interface is slightly different, not scaled as large as in the mobile version.

But it's otherwise the same awesome redone character models and the same low-res background art with just a little bit of filtering done to make it not quite as messy (but still pretty messy). Supports resolutions up to 2556x1440 and makes full use of that in the newly rendered parts. Not just the character models but also the menu icons and the TT cards are all redrawn.

It feels a hell of a lot snappier and quicker to load than the original. Remember: turn on "Skip Battle Camera" in the options and it eliminates the pan over the battlefield at the start of all but boss battles. Also make sure you turn the Battle Speed slider to max. Do both, and you should have no complaints about speed even without using the 3x option.

I'm sure a lot of people are going to whine about the background art, but realistically this port is, I feel, better than I would have expected. It's certainly a nicer PC port than what FFVII and VIII got.

Glad to hear that the port sounds pretty decent.
And now, where's that Waifu2x filter mod? I hope they release it soon.

Edit: And it seems the game runs on a toaster indeed. No problem on a HP Stream 11( 64mb vram notebook).
http://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/361787186418675299/

Balthuk

So a bit more on Battleborn and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. First of all, champions are locked behind crate openings and/or challenges which seems counter-intuitive since it is a ($40 noped) $60 game.
Game is visually cluttered af and it can get way too hectic fighting 2v2 between creeps. Objectives/Strategies are not clear enough and even though they have been trying to explain what is going on (there is a big ass video they have uploaded with basic info and stuff), its still isn't nearly enough. I also cannot find an in-game tutorial which is a big big mistake for a game that tries to do some new things.
Trying to understand what your hero does while checking the lackluster map and remembering the objective sucks.
I am having some fun though, that is after some games where I focused on understanding what the hell is going on and what certain characters do and only focusing on one mode, the minion sacrificing one.
This game could be a lot better if they fixed its issues but for some reason some (eg visual clutter) I'm afraid won't go before release.

Edit: Also I can't quit the game without alt+f4 ?? Quit just takes me back to title screen where I'm logged in again.

Edit2: Seeing stuff like this " - Battleborn is their biggest investment in a video game ever. More than BL1 and 2 combined. " also makes me worried about Gearbox. I don't think the game can be a success at the moment, not even close.

zkylon

zkylewd
my credit card finally got cleared so bought gta 5

24 bucks with the gmg birthday discount, it's a pretty good price i think

dark souls will still keep me busy for a while and next month there's a big league patch so idk when i'll get to gta

edit: oh forgot about overwatch

yea who knows when i'll get to gta lol

So a bit more on Battleborn and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. First of all, champions are locked behind crate openings and/or challenges which seems counter-intuitive since it is a $40 game.
Game is visually cluttered af and it can get way too hectic fighting 2v2 between creeps. Objectives/Strategies are not clear enough and even though they have been trying to explain what is going on (there is a big ass video they have uploaded with basic info and stuff), its still isn't nearly enough. I also cannot find an in-game tutorial which is a big big mistake for a game that tries to do some new things.
Trying to understand what your hero does while checking the lackluster map and remembering the objective sucks.
I am having some fun though, that is after some games where I focused on understanding what the hell is going on and what certain characters do and only focusing on one mode, the minion sacrificing one.
This game could be a lot better if they fixed its issues but for some reason some (eg visual clutter) I'm afraid won't go before release.

Edit: Also I can't quit the game without alt+f4 ?? Quit just takes me back to title screen where I'm logged in again.

Edit2: Seeing stuff like this " - Battleborn is their biggest investment in a video game ever. More than BL1 and 2 combined. " also makes me worried about Gearbox. I don't think the game can be a success at the moment, not even close.
the moba bubble burst will take some casualties just like the wow bubble did, hopefully the damage will not be too severe

i think the idea of fps moba is pretty ok i guess, i just don't think people have it in them to play this many mobas

and for it to be a serious game it has to be a pretty big skill climb and most ppl are already doing the climb over the actual mobas so idk who would want to jump from league and doto and hots for this

and idk if ppl that like shooters want to last hit and stuff either

why, ff9 is like a billion years old and rapture is a walking simulator that didn't review too well on consoles

they're pretty specific games competing against freaking dark souls lol

im sure they got their fans but u know, im guessing most ppl are pretty busy dying over and over again in dark souls

I'm not a Souls person; not a big FF9 person either, but it clears the way for 10, 12 and 15 on PC.

Rapture is actually a game for which I'm excited.

I could probably put money down on me being the only person in SteamGAF excited for Rapture. Nobody even said anything about the 4K shots I posted yesterday ;-;

I'm excited too, I just don't post much in SteamGAF anymore. I didn't notice the 4K shots.

Ludens

Banned
Nice, XBox One pad doesn't work in FFIX. Sometimes I can move the cursor, but that's it, I can't select anything.
EDIT: Found a fix: alt+tab and the controller will work, otherwise the game won't catch your input at all.

Balthuk

the moba bubble burst will take some casualties just like the wow bubble did, hopefully the damage will not be too severe

i think the idea of fps moba is pretty ok i guess, i just don't think people have it in them to play this many mobas

and for it to be a serious game it has to be a pretty big skill climb and most ppl are already doing the climb over the actual mobas so idk who would want to jump from league and doto and hots for this

and idk if ppl that like shooters want to last hit and stuff either

For sure for sure, even though I'm not sure last hitting is a thing in Battleborn. But yeah these games require some time before you have some basic understanding and in order to get you to devote that initial time, they should be way more approachable. Which is why I really hope Battleborn gets a long ass tutorial and advises you to play against bots at the beginning.
Well I don't think this is aimed at people playing lol or dota or hots (at least I hope so). But a lot of people play fps so they might look at such a game and say: "Oh ok I'll be one of the cool kids and play a moba but I will still shoot at folks' heads."
And even though the art style and the humor are supposed to bring people in, I don't think I can show this game to any of my friends that don't play a lot of games/aren't already looking for something like this.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
FF12 hasn't been remade or ported in any capacity, has it? Aside from the International version, I guess.

I wonder if FF12 won't end up as something of an unwieldy relic of old Square, since remastering or porting it would be such an undertaking. You wouldn't think so, right?

bakeray

For sure for sure, even though I'm not sure last hitting is a thing in Battleborn. But yeah these games require some time before you have some basic understanding and in order to get you to devote that initial time, they should be way more approachable. Which is why I really hope Battleborn gets a long ass tutorial and advises you to play against bots at the beginning.
Well I don't think this is aimed at people playing lol or dota or hots (at least I hope so). But a lot of people play fps so they might look at such a game and say: "Oh ok I'll be one of the cool kids and play a moba but I will still shoot at folks' heads."
And even though the art style and the humor are supposed to bring people in, I don't think I can show this game to any of my friends that don't play a lot of games/aren't already looking for something like this.
Yeah, I was playing it on Xbox today with some of my friends and the game is just all over the place. A few of my friends have been playing the hell out of smite and now finally understand why I basically quit playing Xbox for League. traditionally we all played FPS' together but I don't think this game is going to be satisfying the urge and have us take the plunge into the new FPS moba craze. We kinda like the new Halo 5 mobaesque mode, but at the end of the day I think all of us would rather either play a real moba, or a real FPS.

I feel like if someone comes up with a really good idea for an FPS Moba it could be amazing but these half-baked hybrids really aren't doing it for me.

Arthea

I don't see "thank you, Arthea for FF9 finally releasing" posts
oh well, not that I did it for you to be grateful

how's the port? so far reviews seem to be all positive but not much port talk.

edited: I probably still will get it, I'm not that strong.
Not that I should be spending any money on any games when I have my PC to fix still
*sigh

ExoSoul

Banned
Cf_FJnoWIAAz0eZ.jpg:large

turns out that all the delays was just the achievement dude making sure the 10k kills achievement worked fine :lol

Third one should be "Floooooor!"

25hr 20m

git gud

And yes I went to every area and fully explored them and killed all the bosses etc

Time goes fast when in almost a third of the areas you left with 0 deaths :V

I wander how much you *missed*

Lain

I don't see "thank you, Arthea for FF9 finally releasing" posts
oh well, not that I did it for you to be grateful

how's the port? so far reviews seem to be all positive but not much port talk.

edited: I probably still will get it, I'm not that strong.
Not that I should be spending any money on any games when I have my PC to fix still
*sigh

From the release thread:

Okay, impressions:

Mouse support! Doesn't do everything, but you can click anywhere to move there, then click thought bubbles and menu selections to interact with them, and do battles completely with mouse.

Battles:
- Camera and animations at 15FPS, UI (ATB, damage numbers) refreshes much faster at refresh rate or 60fps (i'm not bothering to change my refresh rate around to test this).
- Speeding up or skipping battles deals with my biggest gripe with replaying FFIX

Music:
- True to PSX version. Thankfully avoided the shenanigans that VII and VIII Steam had at launch. Maybe not having a prior PC version is a blessing in disguise, hahaha

Graphics:
- Updated models REALLY pop
- I'm pretty sure the FMVs, or at least some of them, and at least the intro, are higher reso than the PSX encodes. You're welcome to make your own conclusion from screenies below
- Backgrounds are upscaled, still has some tiling issues. :( Oh well

Definitely looking forward to sinking time into this again. I dunno if I'll ever have enough time to do the cheevo grind but I need to play this again at some point.

Screenshots: Sorry, was playing in a 1600x900 window, so no 1080p. edit: I don't' know why I wasn't just playing in a 4:3 window, heh. Oh well, at least the shots are useful for people asking how widescreen is handled.

More on the enhanced mobile/Steam UI: Interactions show up this way now

You can tap (or click, w/ mouse) on cards to play cards, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom