• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ye I know, I'm just making you guys jelly a bit. I just converted my steam store to India, and the prices are...well...

If you're going to switch from the US store to a cheaper store and hope Valve doesn't notice, you might as well make it Russia.

Arthea

If you're going to switch from the US store to a cheaper store and hope Valve doesn't notice, you might as well make it Russia.

I thought you can't switch without legit local payment method.
You can?

unrelated edit:
my laptop is on its last legs, can't cope with that much game playing anymore, crashes constantly now, I think that horrid Radeon is about to go in flames, it's getting hot now really fast too.
I really need to do something about my PC situation, but I can't just buy cheap hds, seeing as they keep dying on me and every other option is so bloody expensive! send help!

I don't have an Indian payment method, I'm still using my UK address etc.

you like to live dangerously, don't you?

Jadax

I don't know Jase, don't want to take such a big gamble :p Plus, not actually abusing anything, I'm currently in India for my exchange programme.

You can?

I don't have an Indian payment method, I'm still using my UK address etc.

Balthuk

A friend finished The Wolf Among Us and enjoyed it quite a bit. I was actually surprised he did as he mostly enjoys fps and rpgs and won't try other games.
He actually played it because he was looking for a "detective game". He was surprised by this game, since because it is a Telltale game, meaning the focus isn't being a detective but rather player choice,dialogue etc.
He still wants to play something like "a detective game". He asked me about monkey island. I'm not sure he is up for a point-and-click though. I will recommend he tries it out but when else should I recommend. Other than the sherlock holmes games(which I haven't played), I didn't know what to recommend.
Any advice? He already rejected Telltale's Walking Dead.

Tizoc

A friend finished The Wolf Among Us and enjoyed it quite a bit. I was actually surprised he did as he mostly enjoys fps and rpgs and won't try other games.
He actually played it because he was looking for a "detective game". He was surprised by this game, since because it is a Telltale game, meaning the focus isn't being a detective but rather player choice,dialogue etc.
He still wants to play something like "a detective game". He asked me about monkey island. I'm not sure he is up for a point-and-click though. I will recommend he tries it out but when else should I recommend. Other than the sherlock holmes games(which I haven't played), I didn't know what to recommend.

Frogware's Sherlock Holmes series, nameley
Testament of SH
Crime and Punishment
The upcoming Devil's Daughter

There is also the Telltale Law and Order game(s)

Corpekata

Banned

Her Story really nails feeling like a detective more than any game I've ever played.

Contradiction as well. He might like Danganronpa if he can get to the Trial / investigation phases, though the first case is a bit of a snoozer when it comes to the culprit.

voodooray

La Noire might tickle his fancy

Sarcasm

You can?

unrelated edit:
my laptop is on its last legs, can't cope with that much game playing anymore, crashes constantly now, I think that horrid Radeon is about to go in flames, it's getting hot now really fast too.
I really need to do something about my PC situation, but I can't just buy cheap hds, seeing as they keep dying on me and every other option is so bloody expensive! send help!

you like to live dangerously, don't you?

Nah you need a card and address. I recently switched to Taiwan as I am staying here.

shira

It's out.

It's a 100% mobile port.

Cf_Hs-lWEAAyp27.jpg

You can play with mouse and keyboard
facepalm.gif

ROFL if you have 21:9 does it have black bars and grey bars?
fail.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im sure others have said it but GMG has FF9 20% off and the 20% voucher (APR20) also works on it, bringing it down to 13.44€

JaseC

I don't know Jase, don't want to take such a big gamble :p Plus, not actually abusing anything, I'm currently in India for my exchange programme.

Ah. Better keep some proof of that on-hand just in case you wake up one morning and see a red notification icon.

Credit/debit cards work worldwide. Steam's checkout system ignores the country.

Balthuk

La Noire might tickle his fancy

Her Story really nails feeling like a detective more than any game I've ever played.

Contradiction as well. He might like Danganronpa if he can get to the Trial / investigation phases, though the first case is a bit of a snoozer when it comes to the culprit.

Frogware's Sherlock Holmes series, nameley
Testament of SH
Crime and Punishment
The upcoming Devil's Daughter

There is also the Telltale Law and Order game(s)

The Telltale Law and Order games are not for sale I believe, the store page is no more. Plus it's not listed at their website. What's up with that?

Ok thanks got a lot of good ones. I'll put them through to him.

Sarcasm

Ah. Better keep some proof of that on-hand just in case you wake up one morning and see a red notification icon.

Credit/debit cards work worldwide. Steam's checkout system ignores the country.

I had to use an address with country...to switch.

JaseC

I had to use an address with country...to switch.

Right. Steam ignores the country of the card, not the country you select when inputting billing info. The latter wouldn't make any sense as it'd mean that the selected country is dictated by the that of the card and I said that credit/debit cards work worldwide. ;)

Jawmuncher

Echoing most of this post since pretty much all of this shit is on point.

Battleborn is some of the most incoherent bullshit I have ever played. 1/3rd of your screen space is gun or bow in my case. Colors are there to just have color because "IT'S A MOBA SO WE GOTTA HAVE COLOR EVEN IF IT DOESN'T AESTHETICALLY MAKE ANY SENSE." while the character art direction makes me sad as all hell. I complained about League of Legends art but some of this stuff takes the cake.

Talking about one of the characters in question, Thorn. There is lanky and then there is being a goddamn noodle person. I picked her because he Thorn and she uses a bow? Sure matches the name Leafhopper nicely but, damn her design.

The game itself has some dry ass humor which I wasn't a fan of in Borderlands to begin with but, just seems even worse here coupled with just fucking chaos in the way games get played out. Everything just starts popping off and you can't see much of fucking anything.

I may not like Borderlands but, I hope they go back to making that soon. Jesus. 1 game was enough. There is a chance to be a decent game here but even with the field of view maxed out it feels cluttered as fuck.

This is with FOV at 100 (the highest it will go mind you.)

It's really odd as to why the game isn't in third person. The FPS doesn't look right with the huge size of weapons and other stuff.

Of the Final Fantasy games, I only ever played FFIII for the DS (and haven't finished it yet because they want you to go through several bosses at the end with no save point,) and thought it was okay, even though the job system didn't make much sense to me. Are any of the ones on Steam worthwhile to play? Feel free to include whether the quality of the port makes the experience worse.

Deques

Of the Final Fantasy games, I only ever played FFIII for the DS (and haven't finished it yet because they want you to go through several bosses at the end with no save point,) and thought it was okay, even though the job system didn't make much sense to me. Are any of the ones on Steam worthwhile to play? Feel free to include whether the quality of the port makes the experience worse.

FF6! There are mods that remove the smooth/blurring filter.

The final dungeon is pain to go through, all the bosses before the final boss. And the final boss did like 3 attacks per turn, and all those attacks instant kills my party

Jawmuncher

FF6 if you want the best old school style, 7 or IX (IMO) if you want the best newer style. Overall I would say 7 is the overall best and it's not because of nostalgia.

Corpekata

Banned

3 is probably one of the worst (1 and 2 being worse than it) so there's plenty of great experiences left in the series for you.

Some of the ports aren't ideal, but not "don't play this game" bad.

So, outside of a major left turn from SE (which they are definitely capable of) I expect we'll be seeing that X/X2 database entry get some activity soon?

It depends if they want to get the whole mainline series up there, or if they want to fill in the gaps with spin offs I suppose. Personally, I wouldn't mind stuff like Tactics or Dimensions before X/X2,

Whatever they do, it seems fairly irrefutable that the entire main series is going to find itself on Steam sooner rather than later, the only thing I'm surprised by is that they haven't gone back on brought over the mobile versions or 1 and 2, which, surprisingly have really decent artwork.

Mikurden

Telltale also did some of the CSI games early on but they're all published by Ubisoft, so they may still be available. Then you have the Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight games, as well as Deja Vu, if you really wanna go old school. You might also look through here:
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Detective/#p=7&tab=NewReleases

Telltale also did some of the CSI games early on but they're all published by Ubisoft, so they may still be available.

Having played these (and by "played" I mean let my sister have the controls and then tell her what to do half the time) the CSI games are basically a point-and-click adventure with minigames. It's highly linear.

Tesla Effect is pretty good as a "detective game." There's some puzzle solving, and your dialogue choices can affect the ending.

-MD-

Played Battleborn for an hour, did a story mission offline by myself.

Game is kind of a snoozer, 3 abilities all on long cooldowns and a LMB attack that had no hit feedback behind it. I was bored 20 minutes in.

I'll see what reviews say, hopefully it ends up bein a cool coop experience I can pick up for $10 down the line, kinda doubt it though.

iosefe

GMG 20 code is replaced tomorrow/after tomorrow?

Should probably wait then, assuming the 20% for launch lasts that long

mp1990

Banned
This might be a long shot, but if he manages to get through the point and click barrier, Grim Fandango would be a good contender. You don't play as an detective per se, but the plot envolves a mistery of sorts, and since he's not into story driven games, the puzzle bits may help him getting invested into it.

Nzyme32

Finally bought a proper mouse so I can "git good" at that CS:GO. Picked the Logitech G303, and I absolutely love it. Never had a mouse that is actually really precise, so I never really understood how much I was missing. Also it looks great and is minimal rather than all the other garish looking Logitech mice / other gaming mice

So yeah I highly recommend it

Balthuk

Telltale also did some of the CSI games early on but they're all published by Ubisoft, so they may still be available. Then you have the Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight games, as well as Deja Vu, if you really wanna go old school. You might also look through here:
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Detective/#p=7&tab=NewReleases

This might be a long shot, but if he manages to get through the point and click barrier, Grim Fandango would be a good contender. You don't play as an detective per se, but the plot envolves a mistery of sorts, and since he's not into story driven games, the puzzle bits may help him getting invested into it.

Yeah I hope he can get into point-and-clicks because he'll find a lot of the "detective" feel in them and besides monkey island I did recommend Grim Fandango. More old school than Grim Fandango remastered is a no-no for him, I'm sure, unless he gets into point-and-clicks meaning he is open to Wadjet Eye art styles and such.
Thanks again for the help

Arthea

One thing still required for that is a FF12 "HD", there have been lots of rumblings but not yet anything concrete.

you will get a mobile port months after and you gonna like it.

I don't see 12HD ever happening, seeing as SE treated beloved FF5 and 6, why would they'll make 12HD that most fans outright hate?

Uzzy

Cognition maybe. It's a point and click adventure/detective game, with you playing as an FBI Agent, solving a very dark and bloody murder case.

Knurek

One thing still required for that is a FF12 "HD", there have been lots of rumblings but not yet anything concrete.

FF XI with working servers as well.

I don't see 12HD ever happening, seeing as SE treated beloved FF5 and 6, why would they'll make 12HD that most fans outright hate?

Who are these Final Fantasy 'fans' who hate on FF12?
I need to expand my hitlist, it seems.

He still wants to play something like "a detective game".

Danganronpa and sequel fit the bill here.

So, do we know what Steam's little download-a-palooza was? Are there any reports of saves being lost?

I shut Steam down as a precaution.

Arthea

Who are these Final Fantasy 'fans' who hate on FF12?
I need to expand my hitlist, it seems.

you hated FF6, you are no friend of FF! that's why you like FF12 so much, it''s no FF even more so than FF13 is not.

btw have you even played it? FF12, I mean.

Balthuk

Cognition maybe. It's a point and click adventure/detective game, with you playing as an FBI Agent, solving a very dark and bloody murder case.

This looks interesting. What I'm worried about personally with point-and-click games is length. I feel that after a while I'll get tired of them and stop playing. That's what I have done with some, namely memoria and Gemini Rue(which I didn't give a fair chance and I should).

Edit:
Danganronpa and sequel fit the bill here.

I wanna check Danganronpa out myself as well. I'm mostly waiting for the price to drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom