• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Konami is still a publicly traded company, still needs to show growth, and still publishes games.

Remasters are low risk and generate higher margins than a new game.

Personally, I don't blame them from taking a step back from a console industry that is set to stagnate at best over the next decade.

That would seem to be more difficult than what's at Dave value. Konami clearly doesn't have the rights to some of the original content, lost access to the original files, and the remaster that does exist was a complete mess.
There is no need to have access original files to make a port, and no need to access them to pretty up the already existing PC ports a little bit.

Clockwork Mansion seems crazy, glad I'm finally getting back to Dishonored 2. Ghost, no powers or kills run for the true Thief feels.

Performance is awful in this level tho.

Grief.exe

Umh, I can't understand your post. What is a complete mess? The HD Collection? That one is pretty good, I own it on PS3 and it runs on 60 fps with some little dips from time to time, but the port is really good, Bluepoint did an awesome job.
Regarding Silent Hill, 2 3 and 4 are already supergood as they are now, only 4 needs some fixes to run on HD monitor. Konami has the rights of everything, otherwise I doubt the HD Collection would be on PSN.

We're going to be on different levels here. The HD collection was an unmitigated disaster and many of the issues stem from the loss of source code and potentially losing certain rights.

There is no need to have access original files to make a port, and no need to access them to pretty up the already existing PC ports a little bit.

Having access to the source code certainly makes ports cheaper. Then you have to deal with compressed textures and audio that wouldn't appeal to a modern market and you may even have to manually set up many of the hooks to get the game fully functional.

However, loss of source code is fairly common for that era and ports have certainly been accomplished with ripping the data off of a retail copy.

Hell yeah, i finally finished another game for 52 games 1 year challenge, almost one month after i started to play Nier and Dishonored 2. Though i'm still trying to finish them, i just completed my 3rd Bulletstorm wallktrough thanks to remastered version. It's still amazing game, one of the most fun singleplayer FPS ever. Though it surprisingly short, when i was playing it in 2011 it feels longer than 7 hour without steam game time counter. Maybe that's because this game is packed with memorable and diverse episodes, there is no fillers or just unnecessary parts. And while i absolutely love campaign, i kinda agree that no story co-op and proper multiplayer is huge missed opportunity - level design is great, but replaying them over and over again with different rules in Echo mode is not fun, and multiplayer is just co-op but on very tiny maps. Bad online component, no serious changes and overpriced, no wonder why this game have only around 10k owners on Steam at this moment while Halo Wars released only 4 days ago and already have 2.5 more user base. Bulletstorm is one of the unluckiest hidden gems in videogaming history, it was fucked by publishers twice, first EA, now Gearbox. I'm still have hopes to see sequel someday, but it's highly unlikely at this point.

Uzzy

Clockwork Mansion seems crazy, glad I'm finally getting back to Dishonored 2. Ghost, no powers or kills run for the true Thief feels.

Performance is awful in this level tho.

Yeah, it's a phenomenal level, I love that it lets you play level designer. Along with 'Crack in the Slab', it's one of the best single player levels I've experienced in recent years.

The clockwork soldiers are fucking terrifying, fast and they jump all over the place and up and down entire floors while searching for you.

yuraya

That DF Retro video on MGS2 has me so hyped for a legacy collection port.

Come on Konami.

Its pretty incredible what Kojima and his team achieved on the PS2. Its a 2001 game released on a toaster of a console. The visual fidelity and performance was masterful. I bought a PS2 the day the game came out. And my mind was blown like 100x over by all the crazy shit that game does. No console game at that time (in any aspect) could hold a candle to Sons of Liberty.

With that said I still think MGS1 was the better game. MGS2 didn't quite hit the highs of the first but still it will always be remembered as the game that made Kojima the popular guy that he is today.

MUnited83

For you.
Now that the port has been out for a few weeks, they turned on MSAA 😂😂😂😂

That was the first thing I thought about, that somehow MSAA wasn't on because a line or two of messed up code and this patch was to fix that... but MSAA still ain't working.

Ludens

Banned
We're going to be on different levels here. The HD collection was an unmitigated disaster and many of the issues stem from the loss of source code and potentially losing certain rights.

I think you are confused.
For HD Collection I'm talking about MGS HD Collection, which is great.
When I talked about a SH port, I was referring to the original titles available on PC, I'm not talking about the abomination called "Silent Hill HD Collection". That is indeed crap, because they ported the games from beta version, since Konami lost the masters...even if I remember Bluepoint saying you don't need the original source code, but simply a PS2 copy of the game if I'm not wrong.

Coreda

Is it just me or Bayonetta received 22kb update?

Lean patches
lawd0lpgv.png

Grief.exe

Its pretty incredible what Kojima and his team achieved on the PS2. Its a 2001 game released on a toaster of a console. The visual fidelity and performance was masterful. I bought a PS2 the day the game came out. And my mind was blown like 100x over by all the crazy shit that game does. No console game at that time (in any aspect) could hold a candle to Sons of Liberty.

With that said I still think MGS1 was the better game. MGS2 didn't quite hit the highs of the first but still it will always be remembered as the game that made Kojima the popular guy that he is today.

The gameplay was so tight and that famous attention to detail to just made the game a masterpiece.

Even more fascinating, is the foresight Kojima had with the plotlines discussing the disinformation on the internet corrupting humanity and democracy.

The story is more relevant these days as foreign powers and political parties use the internet for disinformation campaigns to subvert democracy.

That was the first thing I thought about, that somehow MSAA wasn't on because a line or two of messed up code and this patch was to fix that... but MSAA still ain't working.

Would have been a genius move to control the narrative. As soon as MSAA is in a game, people call it a bad port since it's a performance hog.
Turn it off, let the ignorant wallow in their ignorance, than turn it on later.

I'm not even exaggerating, it's a better bet to go with FXAA or SMAA, or similar post process solution, then hide MSAA in an ini file.

So now folks are saying the 22kb Bayonetta update was for a Vanquish avatar. If true, I guess Vanquish is a done deal for the next PC port?

Coreda

I know. I am just saying that those kind of games arent what people want nowadays. The craze is over.

It was definitely A Thing yonks ago. Though really, one could make the same statement about various older series/games that are still available today. They did release a remake in 2008 (N+) which was around that period of popularity, but the PC didn't get any new version of N until N++, despite being the platform of the original game. The game reminds me of some relic from the past but I'm still thankful it finally released on the PC again.

It was definitely A Thing yonks ago. Though really, one could make the same statement about various older series/games that are still available today. They did made a remake in 2008 (N+) which was around that period of popularity, but the PC didn't get any new version of N until N++, despite being the platform of the original game. The game reminds me of some relic from the past but I'm still thankful it finally released on the PC again.

I still remember people got mad that there was no N+ on PC, because it was a PC-Game before.

Like I said. I still think they released it too late knowing its a sequel. Kids are still all about Minecraft now, the ones who grew up with N mostly moved on I guess.

Knurek

yep this appeared in Extras folder

i8Jhbqz.jpg

<3 Squeee! <3

And here we go again: people will beat the game and allegedly ask for a refund.

Simple solution: If you're making a single playthrough game, make the playthrough last at least 2:30 hours.
If you're making an arcade game, like Crimzon Clover, which can be beat in less than an hour, make the game good enough that people will keep playing it past the refund period.

No, but there will be much activity around the troll posts.

Also:
xAtqonm.png

Yeah. I know and it still seems bad, because I would argue most games on Steam are longer than 2h and they would need to redo the whole system for the 10 games on Steam that are shorter or offer no replayability.

Regginator

No, but there will be much activity around the troll posts.

Also:
xAtqonm.png

I... think that's pretty fair in principle. But the problem is what would consist of "% game completed". Some people rush through it, some take there sweet time, and most are somewhere in between.

Ludens

Banned
Am I the only one thinking Sega ported Bayonetta (and possibly Vanquish) on PC just to sell a 40€ Remaster for each on Ps4 like they did with Valkyria?

Knurek

Am I the only one thinking Sega ported Bayonetta (and possibly Vanquish) on PC just to sell a 40€ Remaster for each on Ps4 like they did with Valkyria?

The PC port of Valkyria was Sega of Europe deal.
The PS4 Remaster of Valkyria was Sega Japan thingy.
The branches aren't on speaking terms, it seems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Aaron D.

Will it really be that many people who do that?

I'm going to guess that gamer's interested in Edith Finch in the first place are those willing to pay full price to support indies.

Those asking for a <2 hour refund never would have bought the game in the fist place, with or without the policy in place.

Ludens

Banned
The PC port of Valkyria was Sega of Europe deal.
The PS4 Remaster of Valkyria was Sega Japan thingy.
The branches aren't on speaking terms, it seems.

Didn't even know that, I only saw this

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01CD0IG3C/

on a store and made a laugh thinking about Sega and their pc efforts.
I mean, I want two franchise from them, the first is Shenmue and it's still missing in action even after Shenmue 3 KS, the other is Yakuza and Sega is unable to use the hype around 0 and Kiwami to bring the franchise on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom