• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Would you prefer a game where you date an Alpaca. Because that's totally a game. It's not on Steam yet though... but it's coming.

Capy needs to make a capybara dating game.
Seriously, they are uguu as fuck:
tumblr_lrsp3zPIvU1r03kk7o1_500.jpg

capybara-05-545x432.jpg

capybara-and-tabby-cat.jpg

Tellaerin

Heh I still haven't gotten passed the intro. Game kept on crashing on me, and I haven't bothered to start it up since then. Also I got to finish Yaiba too. I think I'm almost done with it, so it just may be the first game I finish in months.

...who is this strange blonde and what has she done with Mokoi? >.>

Hugstable

Banned
Just spent a little time with Jet Gunner - played through to the second level. Definitely like what I'm seeing so far.

Game is a 2D run-and-gun/platformer in the vein of classic NES titles. (Developer describes it as "full of Nestalgia".) Feels more authentic than other recent faux-retro offerings (8-Bit Commando, Oniken). Visuals in particular nail the NES aesthetic (resolution/use of colors/etc.), with a look reminiscent of games like Shatterhand.

Story's pretty straightforward: It's the year 19XX. There's been an attack on a major city, and the master brain that controls the world's robots is responsible. (Apparently it's gone insane.) Your mission is to fight your way through an army of killer robots and take it offline for good. Cue Contraesque run-and-gun action.

Gameplay moves at a brisk pace, controls feel snappy (playing with a gamepad). Nice variety of weapons pickups. Player can also pick up an assortment of temporary "option"-type drones for added firepower. Character can take multiple hits before dying. Health pickups drop from enemies and after killing minibosses on Normal difficulty. Levels are long, broken up into smaller stages with varied environments to keep things fresh.

Jet Gunner's unique hook is the jetpack. Double-jumping enables you to fly or hover by holding/tapping the jump button. A flight meter determines how long you can stay airborne. Meter recharges relatively fast on Normal. Feels very intuitive while playing. Levels are designed to take advantage of the jetpack - nothing especially involved or tricky so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more challenging bits further in.

Options settings are pretty minimal. You can play windowed or fullscreen, and select between a couple of keyboard control schemes or Xbox gamepad support. (Can't remap specific keys.) Game has two difficulty levels, Normal and Hardcore. Normal is moderately challenging. If you prefer "NES tough", go with hardcore - it promises tougher bosses, faster jetpack depletion and no health pickups.

And now I've spent more time writing about the game than I have playing it. :p If you enjoy sidescrolling run-and-gun games or NES-era retro titles, check it out. It may not be Shovel Knight-tier (from what I understand, Shovel Knight's godly), but what I've played so far is definitely respectable.

Loved these impressions! Thank you for posting them. Now debating whether to buy the game soon (it's on sale now) or wait for a bundle (I know, I know...).

Great impressions and the overall impressions so far on Steam for this look good. Gonna pick it up

I haven't had this much fun with a first person game since Portal 2, even going back to levels and 3-star-ing them is just as fun as playing them for the first time. It's not like anything that I've ever played, and it's just brilliant. Nailing every shot and jump makes me feel like a goddamn badass. The last game that made me feel like that was Super Meat Boy, one of my all-time favorite platformers.

I can not recommend this underappreciated gem enough. If you wanna play something that requires precision, patience, and you know how to play with M&KB, then go for it. It's worth more than its price.

Nice thanks for the impressions and the Giveaways. Game has an interesting style to it that I've never seen much games match. I still don't have much a clue to how it plays much haha. Someone here should stream it sometime!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.

9+ hours in, having the time of my life.

I haven't had this much fun with a first person game since Portal 2, even going back to levels and 3-star-ing them is just as fun as playing them for the first time. It's not like anything that I've ever played, and it's just brilliant. Nailing every shot and jump makes me feel like a goddamn badass. The last game that made me feel like that was Super Meat Boy, one of my all-time favorite platformers.

I can not recommend this underappreciated gem enough. If you wanna play something that requires precision, patience, and you know how to play with M&KB, then go for it. It's worth more than its price.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (nbnt, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lovely Planet -- MB-41392225580D11FE - Taken by Sarcasm. 56 entrants total.

t1407227680z1.png

Yrael

Would you prefer a game where you date an Alpaca. Because that's totally a game. It's not on Steam yet though... but it's coming.

Ohhhhh so that's why people kept going on about alpacas in this thread! xD

You can just about date anything nowadays. I won't be surprise if one comes up where you date inanimate objects like forks and spoons.

Going by some of Neogaf's past threads, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a dolphin dating sim yet.

...please tell me that's not actually a thing. >_>

Edit: This post just had to be at the top of the page, didn't it? ._.

9+ hours in, having the time of my life.

I appreciate the quick note. Its really hard to get a feel for the game just from the store page, but this sounds really cool!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

what the fuck, I did a cartoon style double take when you said that and had to scroll up to see if it really was mokoi

is nothing sacred anymore? :(

Deitus

Ohhhhh so that's why people kept going on about alpacas in this thread! xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

Going by some of Neogaf's past threads, I'm surprised someone hasn't made a dolphin dating sim yet.

It's (probably) not a thing yet. But now I'm sure you just gave someone an idea.

There is a Dolphin High School simulator but no dating Sim yet..though you do go to the prom with two dolphins, yes your two timing between two dolphins.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Banned peoples avatars sometimes disappearing:

You've got it backwards... and it's just a myth (e.g. Classy still has his avatar). Sometimes someone's avatar disappears upon being banned, sometimes it doesn't; the presence, or lack thereof, of their avatar is indicative of nothing.

As JaseC said;

Whether someone's avatar disappears when they are banned or not appears to be a random thing, and is not connected to the length of their ban. When users are banned, they are moved to a single banned user group; the group is just called Banned Users. This is why all banned user accounts just say "Banned"--Hitokage tried to figure out a way to make a second group for perma-banned users at one point so perma-bans could be noted as perms to avoid us getting questions about whether bans were perm or not, but he never quite figured it out. Ban durations are separate from the fact of being banned, and there are no statuses that are true for perma-banned members that aren't true for temp banned members.

We have no idea why the avatar disappearance thing happens. I think it is at least a little bit related to when GAF switched over from external avatars to internally hosted avatars, and something related to the settings for that.

Locust

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

header_292x136.jpg

Screencheat beta -- MB-9774A31680EAAAB8 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Screencheat beta #2 -- MB-2EEA08A9873BD399 - Taken by wilflare

Register on http://community.surpriseattackgames.com/screencheat if you want a code but don't win these, they'll apparently send out more in ~4 hours.

I assumed anything on Steam would have Steam Keys on the Groupees bundle. I assumed wrong, so someone else can enjoy this!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Gunstarheroes:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gunstarheroes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

PGP3OVL.png
Bloodrayne (GOG) -- MB-ADC8009AABBCEAE8 - Taken by Cheddahz

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Makes me jealous that my friend is in the beta and I'm not.

fuck your friend

you can tell him Rhaknar said that

and when he says "lol who the fuck is Rhaknar"

you can say "fuck you, thats who he is"

:(

hope someoone wants these!

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (doctorcdcs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Foreign Legion Buckets of Blood -- MB-83BB81C629CD51CB
Q.U.B.E Director's Cut -- MB-104C3E4A9EBC4065 - Taken by Teppic. 5 entrants total.
Oil Rush -- MB-A30D4D76856EB0C2 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sniper Elite V2 -- MB-828F803AC4DDB078 - Taken by MrTeachwell. 4 entrants total.

t1407229060z1.png

Ozium

I appreciate the quick note. Its really hard to get a feel for the game just from the store page, but this sounds really cool!

It's awesome and everything nbnt is true.. It's pretty much to twitch FPS shooters what Super Meat Boy is to twitch platformers...

Perfection.

Locust

I assumed anything on Steam would have Steam Keys on the Groupees bundle. I assumed wrong, so someone else can enjoy this!

I fought with the Steam version of Bloodrayne for an hour trying to get it to work, gave up and now I'm downloading the GOG executable.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Steam versions brokenness was the reason it's a GOG key.

Holy crap, the unlocked bonuses of the Groupees bundle include music from Lifeformed (who made the OST for Dustforce).

Even if you usually ignore the music that Groupess adds to their bundles, just give that one a listen please. <3

Samples:
1 2 3 4 5 6

Mokoi

Banned
what the fuck, I did a cartoon style double take when you said that and had to scroll up to see if it really was mokoi

is nothing sacred anymore? :(

Reason for the change for now.(also jifs in that link)

Killer is Dead. Yay or Nay?

I'm sure this has been answered already for you, but Yay! It's a solid game, and you can just ignore that fan service junk since it's not necessary to play em. I'm not a Suda fan mainly because I've never played on of his games. However, from the brief I played it I feel in love with the combat.

Also everyone thinking about KiD watch corrosivefrost webm
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/KillerIsDead.Mission4.webm

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I received a response from Bethesda's front-line support thanking me for my feedback, which is odd considering the subject. At least I received a response this time, I suppose. Casimir PM'd me the addresses of a few of Bethesda's marketing higher-ups, so I sent (a corrected version of) the e-mail to them, too, but added a disclaimer stating that it's a copy of the e-mail I'd earlier sent to Bethesda's general enquiries address and apologised for the heavy-handed approach, because while I'm persistent, I'm not a dick. ;) Here's hoping something happens with Quake Wars' listing in the near future.

Rhaknar

I dont... I dont know where that link took me o_O

is that animeGaf? I dont want to see the shady places you hang out in Mokoi, thats like me linking wrestlegaf or something >_<

speaking of wrestlegaf, theres a dude there with almost the same avatar as you and I always think its you :(

Deques

Just started playing 100% Orange Juice. Got a hang of it, but I still don't know what the winning conditions are. Can someone tell me?

Just started playing 100% Orange Juice. Got a hang of it, but I still don't know what the winning conditions are. Can someone tell me?

It's been a while since I played it, but basically you take on a mission (Norma?) that's either getting X stars or beating X enemies. Once you meet that requirement you go back to your home tile and get the next one. First one to 5 (?) wins.

Basically, you need to collect 10 stars for the first goal. After that, you either choose beating enemies, or collecting stars. Both of these numbers are tracked in your little HUD in whatever corner your character is in. Its not too complicated.

Deques

It's been a while since I played it, but basically you take on a mission (Norma?) that's either getting X stars or beating X enemies. Once you meet that requirement you go back to your home tile and get the next one. First one to 5 (?) wins.

Basically, you need to collect 10 stars for the first goal. After that, you either choose beating enemies, or collecting stars. Both of these numbers are tracked in your little HUD in whatever corner your character is in. Its not too complicated.

So you just have to get a certain number of stars or beat certain number of enemies to win the game. Seems easy, although I lost my first game :p

Another question. The cards that I choose before the game, are those cards that I can get from those green fields?

I hope there's no button wanking, I'd hate that.

Define "button wanking"?
There's a boss or two where you end up having to mash a button during a QTE type event, but outside of that, not a lot that I remember.

What is your tool chain for making webms? What program do you use for recording? That is some excellent quality.

Record to HDD using Nvidia Shadowplay.
Use batch file to run mp4 throuth ffmpeg.exe creating webm.
Upload to host, post on GAF.

So you just have to get a certain number of stars or beat certain number of enemies to win the game. Seems easy, although I lost my first game :p

Another question. The cards that I choose before the game, are those cards that I can get from those green fields?

Everything is based on stars or enemies.
Once you've met the quota, you either need a roll to land EXACTLY on someone else's home or you need to pass yours and answer "yes" to the stop at your home prompt. This will level you up. First person to have 5 stars and meet their final goal wins.

As far as the cards, the cards you choose are put in the community deck. So yes, in a way. But you also have a chance to draw a card someone else put in the deck.

Every player chooses a deck of cards at the start but then they all get mixed together into a pile which everyone can draw from.

I saw this asked earlier but no response was made,

Does anyone know how groupees handles gift purchases (specifically the current build a bundle). If you gift it to yourself and redeem it will you have access to the individual keys?

Hugstable

Banned
These The Campaign Series from the Groupees bundles cards never sell. I keep pricing thme lower and lower and it seems nobody wants the cards for this game -___-

The inferior Idol.

TiTS has had a few patches since launch. Maybe it will work for you now.

Mokoi has gone full Eli and has Forsaken Nozomi! And yeah TiTS has been perfect for me since the patch. I should really play more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom