• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Considering it's a Suda51 game, I was rather surprised at how much depth the core gameplay has. It's not DMC or MGR:R, but it's really solid and a lot of fun. After going from thinking SotD was alright to absolutely hating it after repeated playthroughs (because Suda51 doesn't understand achievements for difficulty stacking), I just pretty much wrote off any Suda51 game that came out. When Lollipop Chainsaw came out and didn't get a good reception, that just cemented it for me, so I didn't even look into KiD until it was announced for Steam and people were getting hype for it.

It's a game I've given away before and a game I'm sure I'll give away again.

--

I think I'm going to take a legitimate shot at getting those other two Yaiba achievements shortly... which means plaything through NGZ mode.
Any interest in me streaming my attempts?

When Killer is Dead was released, I assumed it was some lewd dating simulator due to our politically correct obsessed journalists.

Anteater

Fuck yeah got my internet back, everything is coming up milhouse! I think I've gone through like 2 modems in a year...

Gonna redownload some games since my d: is dead with I/O errors, maybe I'll swap the cable later and see if it helps.

Cheddahz

Banned
You like KiD but not LC? Was it the aesthetics or something? They were pretty similar gameplay-wise, and I actually enjoyed LC more. It was more fun killing zombies, I guess.

i could ramble about LC for days, but it was just wasn't fun for me and it felt more like a chore than anything. i understand that it's a hack n' slash game like KiD, but god, the game tried too hard to be comedic and it just wasn't fun at all

the thing i hated about the game the most was that the stages were long as shit and they weren't fun, at all

KingDirk

Its short, about 10 hours and fun. I thought it got pretty damn hard towards the end though, almost frustratingly. Though I do suck at these kind of games. If you're a fan of Suda, You'll enjoy it most likely.
I played a few hours of it on the PS3, and I liked it. It an button-masher action game that puts style over pretty graphics. The story is pretty weird and out there, but it's a fun game to play through, and the game is divided into missions, which aren't too long, so it's good in short sessions, too. So, yay.
Good impressions, thank you. Onto the wish list it goes.

On an unrelated note, is Divinity: Original Sin choppynfor anybody else? I turned off V-sync and locked it at 60 but I csn't tell if it's an animation thing or what. Characters just seem to move sloooowly and it's effecting my enjoyment somewhat.

Hugstable

Banned
Considering it's a Suda51 game, I was rather surprised at how much depth the core gameplay has. It's not DMC or MGR:R, but it's really solid and a lot of fun. After going from thinking SotD was alright to absolutely hating it after repeated playthroughs (because Suda51 doesn't understand achievements for difficulty stacking), I just pretty much wrote off any Suda51 game that came out. When Lollipop Chainsaw came out and didn't get a good reception, that just cemented it for me, so I didn't even look into KiD until it was announced for Steam and people were getting hype for it.

It's a game I've given away before and a game I'm sure I'll give away again.

--

I think I'm going to take a legitimate shot at getting those other two Yaiba achievements shortly... which means plaything through NGZ mode.
Any interest in me streaming my attempts?

Yes stream again! I'm NGZ is even harder than what you were playing before? You were already getting 1 shotted there so how much harder could it be? Lol

zkylon

zkylewd
yea unlikely he'll post today but you know, just checking

when i got surgery and got full on anesthesia i was an bumbling idiot for the whole day

i was like hugging everyone and telling them i loved them

or so my friends tell me

Tesseract

Banned
ultra comes soon, awgh yiss

o-face.gif

Cheddahz

Banned
Hahaha, the same PC journalists that threw Yaiba under the bus.

Fuck those guys. ;)

honestly, what are your views on yaiba? i'm not looking for a "serious" hack n' slash and it seems like it would be a fun killing romp game. of course, i'm not going to get it, like now, but i might in the future

Ventara

i could ramble about LC for days, but it was just wasn't fun for me and it felt more like a chore than anything. i understand that it's a hack n' slash game like KiD, but god, the game tried too hard to be comedic and it just wasn't fun at all

the thing i hated about the game the most was that the stages were long as shit and they weren't fun, at all

That's a shame. The missions are longer than KiD, but if I recall correctly, they were all under an hour, so it wasn't too bad. Maybe it was the humour, since I thought it was pretty funny. I really liked the upbeat and way the game played while you killed zombies, and those pop songs were catchy. And the game varied things quite nicely, I found.

On an unrelated note, is Divinity: Original Sin choppynfor anybody else? I turned off V-sync and locked it at 60 but I csn't tell if it's an animation thing or what. Characters just seem to move sloooowly and it's effecting my enjoyment somewhat.

The game runs fine for me. the characters don't move quickly, but I wouldn't describe it as slow. Then again, I've just recently started the game.

Just watch this:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/KillerIsDead.Mission4.webm

Yes stream again! I'm NGZ is even harder than what you were playing before? You were already getting 1 shotted there so how much harder could it be? Lol

Not harder, but different. There's no executions to instantly finish an enemy. The possibility of getting the unique weapons is rare because you have to get them to drop from a gold zombie. There's 4-5 stages of 2.5d side scrollers with tons of enemy mobs which you must complete with "lives/continues" as per NES games of yesteryear. I've only made it to the boss of chapter 2 before, but I'm hoping my skills have become more refined as I've journeyed through Hell difficulty.

honestly, what are your views on yaiba? i'm not looking for a "serious" hack n' slash and it seems like it would be a fun killing romp game. of course, i'm not going to get it, like now, but i might in the future

It plays like a musou but with a combo tree similar to a character action game.
It's wild, has a bunch of crass/edgy humour with a ton of violence.
The controls are tight, the mechanics work as far as I'm concerned and it's a fun ride.
I've put almost 50 hours into and will get all of the achievements or die trying and I like it enough that I've done 3 yaiba giveaways here and gifted a SteamGAFer a 4th. All 4 of them seem to like it enough too... I think a bunch of people have wishlisted it as well for the winter sale.

This webm gives a pretty decent feel for the combat -- it might be a little less varied than I normally would be doing, simply because it's on Hell difficulty which is a 90% chance (or higher) that getting hit = death -- but I felt it gives a good idea of what to expect from the game as far as core gameplay goes:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Yaiba.Pubcrawl.webm

DSix

Banned
Just bought Killer is Dead on a whim, that incredible artstyle is just drawing me in. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Here some healthy stuff for morning people :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VikasNarula, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

100% ORANGE JUICE -- MB-9D097E153311E61F - Taken by Sammichu. 3 entrants total.

t1407210160z1.png

Anyone who had fun with lash, huggie, and I in SS3 and wants to join in again, we're starting in 15 minutes or so.

Yaiba NGZ stream is currently postponed. :)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Gun Monkeys -- MB-BB2607888B3A61F8 - Taken by wagamer
GTR Evolution -- MB-BDBA2EBF0F051186 - Taken by Ezalc

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Gun Monkeys was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for GTR Evolution was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of DontBlink, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-AE9F521A819C440D - Taken by MTE. 2 entrants total.
Quantum Conundrum -- MB-1DD5A7CCA4E4FD87 - Taken by dave is ok. 5 entrants total.
This key might be invalid
Darksiders -- MB-AB477261FC35D0D4 - Taken by abracadaver. 10 entrants total.
Toy Soldiers -- MB-F4BB11385A8A9FA2 - Taken by topyy. 13 entrants total.

t1407214300z1.png

BigBoss

I'm having a strange problem with Saints Row 4, every time I try to change the graphics' settings the game crashes back to the desktop. Has anybody else run into this issue, is there a fix?

Curious_George

Neo Member
I'm having a strange problem with Saints Row 4, every time I try to change the graphics' settings the game crashes back to the desktop. Has anybody else run into this issue, is there a fix?

try setting the game to borderless windowed mode maybe? I actually couldn't run the game in full screen without crashing. Had to just play it borderless windowed the entire time.

BigBoss

try setting the game to borderless windowed mode maybe? I actually couldn't run the game in full screen without crashing. Had to just play it borderless windowed the entire time.

Didn't work, I changed the graphics settings manually with the "display" file, hopefully that works.

Yakkue

Some impressions for Detective Case and Clown Bot in Murder in the Hotel Lisbon:

Thanks a lot for your impressions! Shame it doesn't really hold up.

30 minutes in and I have yet to find any redeeming qualities about Dungeon Siege 3. Damn them for ruining a good series.

I actually had quite a bit of fun with it. What's bothering you about it? (Dungeon Siege 3 is the only DS-game I've ever played, btw).

So I started a playthough of Harvester. This game is...curious:

(Click on the image to enlarge.)

Haha, from everything I heard about this game you should expect a lot of crazyness.

Yrael

His profile picture is still there, so doesn't that mean it's a perm?

Nah apparently the picture being there doesn't mean anything regarding whether or not it's a perm - it's just a forum glitch that it'll sometimes disappear during a ban.

Tellaerin

Just spent a little time with Jet Gunner - played through to the second level. Definitely like what I'm seeing so far.

Game is a 2D run-and-gun/platformer in the vein of classic NES titles. (Developer describes it as "full of Nestalgia".) Feels more authentic than other recent faux-retro offerings (8-Bit Commando, Oniken). Visuals in particular nail the NES aesthetic (resolution/use of colors/etc.), with a look reminiscent of games like Shatterhand.

Story's pretty straightforward: It's the year 19XX. There's been an attack on a major city, and the master brain that controls the world's robots is responsible. (Apparently it's gone insane.) Your mission is to fight your way through an army of killer robots and take it offline for good. Cue Contraesque run-and-gun action.

Gameplay moves at a brisk pace, controls feel snappy (playing with a gamepad). Nice variety of weapons pickups. Player can also pick up an assortment of temporary "option"-type drones for added firepower. Character can take multiple hits before dying. Health pickups drop from enemies and after killing minibosses on Normal difficulty. Levels are long, broken up into smaller stages with varied environments to keep things fresh.

Jet Gunner's unique hook is the jetpack. Double-jumping enables you to fly or hover by holding/tapping the jump button. A flight meter determines how long you can stay airborne. Meter recharges relatively fast on Normal. Feels very intuitive while playing. Levels are designed to take advantage of the jetpack - nothing especially involved or tricky so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more challenging bits further in.

Options settings are pretty minimal. You can play windowed or fullscreen, and select between a couple of keyboard control schemes or Xbox gamepad support. (Can't remap specific keys.) Game has two difficulty levels, Normal and Hardcore. Normal is moderately challenging. If you prefer "NES tough", go with hardcore - it promises tougher bosses, faster jetpack depletion and no health pickups.

And now I've spent more time writing about the game than I have playing it. :p If you enjoy sidescrolling run-and-gun games or NES-era retro titles, check it out. It may not be Shovel Knight-tier (from what I understand, Shovel Knight's godly), but what I've played so far is definitely respectable.

So I started a playthough of Harvester. This game is...curious:

(Click on the image to enlarge.)

I would love to watch you stream this. I'd love to see a GAF playthrough of this, just to see the reactions of people to the insanity of this game. The game is awful, but man, it was a fun train wreck to ride.

Teeth

This webm gives a pretty decent feel for the combat -- it might be a little less varied than I normally would be doing, simply because it's on Hell difficulty which is a 90% chance (or higher) that getting hit = death -- but I felt it gives a good idea of what to expect from the game as far as core gameplay goes:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Yaiba.Pubcrawl.webm

What is your tool chain for making webms? What program do you use for recording? That is some excellent quality.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was the blade and soul western release canceled? Seems like it was announced ages ago

maneil99

Thanks, yours is better. I'm tempted to post outside SteamGAF but I shall refrain. I can't believe that I would find Moon Unbelievers on GAF itself. How can people just dismiss all the evidence as just fake?

That's that PC version Magna Carta MMO game, isn't it?
people still think the world is flat too

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's that PC version Magna Carta MMO game, isn't it?

I think the magna carta artist did the character designs, but its not a magna carta game?

Thanks, yours is better. I'm tempted to post outside SteamGAF but I shall refrain. I can't believe that I would find Moon Unbelievers on GAF itself. How can people just dismiss all the evidence as just fake?

im shocked how many gaffers believe everything they read on the internet...the internet of all places!

Not sure, but now you've got me curious. Could just be that NCSoft's putting all their effort into Wildstar right now, or they may have quietly killed plans for a Western release and are just waiting for people to forget about it. Maybe they were worried that Hyung-Tae Kim's waifu designs would be too much for Western audiences to handle. :p I'll take a look around and see if I can find out anything more concrete.

well they were fine with Tera castanids, and I dont think anything in B&S is worse than those (no examples needed by the way, lets behave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom