• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

I swear, when I see a weekend deal like Saints Row IV it just seems like Valve has placeholder deals waiting in case they don't end up with anything else. 50% off? After it was 75% during the summer sale? Why? And the GotY isn't even 50% off, it's 33%... just bizarre. Almost surprised the DLC isn't 10% off or something equally pointless.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Do I need to play previous games to understand Bioshock Infinite?

No. The main game, not including the DLC, is not really connected to the first two games outside of a few references that you'll probably get if you even have only passing knowledge on the franchise. Infitnite's base game is more or less a standalone game that feels like it was structured to bring in new people to the franchise.

aku:jiki

GAF, after being a console gamer for many years (last ones were WiiPS360) I decided to get a kick ass PC and play here mostly.

What can you guys recommend that I can easily use a kb/m? I still need to buy a joystick and that will take time. I was thinking about FPS or 3rd person shooter and RPGs aswell. What competitive multiplayer you guys recommend? I was thinking about giving COD Ghosts a try. Is it still all about kill streaks?

I'm choosing between Wolfestein and Divinity.As crazy as that sounds (or not), I really wanna explore COD 4 again. Is is full of cheaters like the console versions?
Do you really mean joystick as in an actual stick specifically for either fighting games or flight simulators? Because if not, just use the PS3 or 360 controllers you already have.

Yes, Ghosts still has killstreaks. That community loves them and they are never going away, so that's not something you ever need to wonder about with any future CoD. I don't own CoD4 on PC but part of the point of PC is that you can find a server that actively bans cheaters, it's not just Microsoft's server or go away like it would be on for example 360. I'm sure there are clean CoD4 servers out there, as that game still has fans.

You do not need prior knowledge for Infinite.

Uzzy

Ryse will look great on PC and I'm glad it's coming. One less exclusive game is always a good thing.

MS still don't care about pc gaming though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I finished Woodle Tree Adventures. It's really not very good. I hesitate to sort of unload with both barrels because it's clearly a project made by one single guy. Basically, it's a Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 3D Land style 3d platformer where the world is made up of a bunch of connected geometric objects. You're a tree. You can run, jump, swing a leaf to attack... and that's about it. The objective of each level is to get three water drops and get to the end of the level; there are also berries scattered around (around 100 berries per level or so). You don't need to collect berries to finish the game, but if you collect 200, 400, or 800 you can "upgrade" your leaf, at 850 you get a head band for your character which seems to do nothing useful, and there's an optional hidden level at 600 berries. There are 6 main game levels plus the optional level. Each level takes about 8-10 minutes. Personally I 100%ed the game--that is to say beat all levels and unlocked all optional content or unlocks in-game--at 71 minutes.

Whatever can go wrong, goes wrong. Your default walk speed is far too slow, your default run speed is far too fast. Underwater, everything is too slow and the physics don't adjust at all besides movement speed. Jumping is not controlled very well. The camera angle is frequently no good; for example, in a 3D platformer the camera should never be directly on your level facing straight, because it ruins depth perception entirely. The camera should never be so close that it obscures the action, and yet it is. Worse, as you collect berries, the bag your character holds gets bigger and bigger, so the obstruction is actually worse at the end of levels than at the beginning. You should never have to run towards the camera and take leap-of-faith jumps to get to platforms unless there's some visual indication that you ought to. There are clipping issues. There are almost-but-not-quite making a jump and getting stuck in the lip of geometry and having to jump again to get unstuck issues. When you die (you will, frequently, enemies AI is basic, many enemies are stationary, the rest move in fixed patterns, but clipping is generally poor and it's difficult to tell if you're going to hit an enemy when you swing your weapon), you respawn instantly either at the beginning of the level or at a checkpoint, but you can't see where the checkpoints are and in my experience they're rarely where they make sense to be; but because enemies and items don't respawn when you die, you basically run through an empty level until you get back to where you died. There are also issues where you feel like you've picked up a berry but you aren't inside its hitbox, so you sort of wander back and forth until you pick it up. Basically, in other words, the gameplay does most of what it's possible to do wrong in a 3D Platformer. I mean, it's an hour long game so you get over the frustration and keep going or whatever, but it just speaks to the fact that this isn't quite ready for primetime.

The music's composition is not bad (it is a little simple, and it's not really catchy), but the author chooses very very very chintzy, cheap sounding samples for almost every instrument. In particular there's some sort of harpsichord used as one of the main instruments and it sounds really terrible. Sound effects are rare, to the point that the game feels a little unfinished because there are times where you expect sounds and don't get them.

You can't quit the game from inside the game without doing an Alt+F4 or whatever. There's no main menu to go back to. When you beat the game, it sits at the end of the credits section. This is very frustrating to me. There's also no Steam Cloud support, and although the game is multi-platform, achievements don't work on the Mac or Linux versions. Just as well, the achievements are 100% for beating the game and then just grinding levels endlessly to get thousands of berries--there's nothing that you're actually incentivized to do.

It's a pity because the graphic side of things is very good. The enemies and your character are cute. The visual style is simple but colourful, and reminds me favourably of Mario 64 or Super Mario 3d Land. There are lots of little touches in the animation. If I had to guess, the guy is probably an animator or an artist who made a game, rather than a programmer.

I don't want to dissuade the guy from continuing to make games and there are occasional hints of promise, but it comes off more as the kind of thing that would have been free online in the late 90s / early 00s, or the kind of thing that would be released on Desura. I am extremely confident this is not a game that ever would have been okayed for Steam before stuff opened up last year. Moreover, the dev is still actively patching the game, but a lot of what he's adding in seems to be stuff that would be typical of a 1.0 release, which makes it seem even more like a hobby project. I would not recommend the game for 2.99 or really even on sale. It's definitely an earnest effort, but it's not there.

I slightly edited my review for publication on Steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/stumpo/recommended/299460

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mechanic Escape (might be used) -- MB-A03E7B6B724DE4EA - Taken by JustLynx. 3 entrants total.

t1407432528z1.png

MayMay

Banned
Since I have no use for my second key, might as well give it away on here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (EzioCroft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher: Adventure Game (GOG) -- MB-17F2E41284D81AFD - Taken by Armoured Priest. 5 entrants total.
Boardgame extravaganza

t1407442548z1.png

Dr Dogg

That games looks gorgeous! I've never heard of it.

I completely forgot it was coming out myself until I saw an article/impression on RPS this morning. There has been a bit more focus on the PlayStation side of things and it on PS+ for PS4 this month. Spry Fox are mainly known for Triple Town which has been on Android, iOS, PC (might be a Kindle specific version too) but this is a little bit different. They have quite a few blog post on their own site and on the PS Blog detailing the games development that you might be interesting in and their YouTube channel has a few videos going through the mechanics of the game. It's got a puzzle element to it as well as a survival element too and there is meant to be variation in the levels. In between the year (which I think there are 15 of you career of saving lost children) you get to wander around the hub village and talk to the villagers. You build up a meter with them that I assume is some kind of affinity as it has a little heart at the end but I'm really early doors yet to know for sure.

http://spryfox.com/our-games/road-not-taken/

Jawmuncher

Somewhat. It's an arcade ladder match with story line stills in the beginning and end.

I think they're planning to put something a little more fleshed out later on.

I'm pretty sure Story Mode was added to the game in April in a 7GB patch.

Yeah as Default Two said the story mode currently is pretty barebones. Basically just SF arcade mode which isn't good enough in my book. After stuff like DOA5 and Mortal Kombat.

maty

The Witcher: Adventure Game

ModBot said:
Instructions for maty:Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (maty, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Witcher: Adventure Game -- MB-8A1342A7977CCB43 - Taken by Terra_Ex. 4 entrants total.

t1407432888z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of pahamrick, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orbital Gear -- MB-650D2699656D46E1 - Taken by AsylumX. 20 entrants total.

t1407435768z1.png

jblank83

What can you guys recommend that I can easily use a kb/m? I still need to buy a joystick and that will take time. I was thinking about FPS or 3rd person shooter and RPGs aswell.

I don't understand this question. Are you asking for game recommendations?

If so, almost any game with keyboard and mouse is going to play at least as well as a gamepad. 3rd person action adventure games with very fine character movement (think Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy) is better with a gamepad. Vehicle simulators, such as racing games, are better with a gamepad. On the flipside, FPS and TPS are better with keyboard and mouse. Similarly, RTS is better with a mouse. PC RPGs are usually better with a mouse as well, as are point and click adventure games.

Grief.exe

GAF, after being a console gamer for many years (last ones were WiiPS360) I decided to get a kick ass PC and play here mostly.

What can you guys recommend that I can easily use a kb/m? I still need to buy a joystick and that will take time. I was thinking about FPS or 3rd person shooter and RPGs aswell. What competitive multiplayer you guys recommend? I was thinking about giving COD Ghosts a try. Is it still all about kill streaks?

I'm choosing between Wolfestein and Divinity.As crazy as that sounds (or not), I really wanna explore COD 4 again. Is is full of cheaters like the console versions?

COD is really struggling on PC. A good amount of us play CS:GO. Good to check out Planetside 2, BF4, and there is a new UT coming out.

Infinite is technically the worst in the BioShock series from a gameplay perspective, BioShock 1 may have aged poorly though, I haven't played it in a while.

Wolfenstein and Divinity are excellent choices for a place to start. I have heard Dragon Age Origins is a better place to start for those new to CRPGs.

Well First year done in Road Not Taken. All kids saved and bundles of energy left over. For my good deeds the villagers have given me a house and a cat!

I swear I just saw you peeps say Pro Xbono. Huh that sort of works.

What is this game about Dogg? Can you give me a bit of context and possibly some impressions?

Reasons to buy a Xbox One are less and less everyday. Not that I would buy it anyways, but still :lol:

To be fair, there isn't really a compelling reason to pick up a PS4 either.

Vuze

Reasons to buy a Xbox One are less and less everyday. Not that I would buy it anyways, but still :lol:
Yeah, I'm quite happy DR3 made it to PC. It was actually the only game I'm interested in. Watched some videos when it was released, it looked fun. Ryse not so much, but it will probably be fine eye candy so why not.
To be fair, there isn't really a compelling reason to pick up a PS4 either.
True that. I will get one for Uncharted and hopefully more personally compelling exclusives later down the line, probably 2016 or so.

JustLynx

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Mechanic Escape (might be used) -- MB-A03E7B6B724DE4EA - Taken by JustLynx. 3 entrants total.

t1407432528z1.png

dupe =\
but thanks, anonymous giver

Shadownet

Banned
By the way, for those of you whom I promised a copy of Batman Arkham Knight.

I'm giving you a choice. Would you rather get Batman or Witcher 3? Since they're both highly anticipated games.

You know who you are. I would appreciate it if you can PM me your answer :)

Perun

Got a spare key

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Perun, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

The Witcher: Adventure Game beta key -- MB-029A0D72ED9FEF87 - Taken by Porcupine

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
By the way, for those of you whom I promised a copy of Batman Arkham Knight.

I'm giving you a choice. Would you rather get Batman or Witcher 3? Since they're both highly anticipated games.

You know who you are. I would appreciate it if you can PM me your answer :)

Can I have GTA V?

Blacklight Retribution isn't bad. It's free, so that's the first thing. It looks pretty, isn't pay-to-win in my experience, and has solid map design. I didn't stick around long but only because I was burnt out on Team Deathmatch games almost completely.

Counter Strike fills that void. The rounds have purpose and what-not. CS:GO is great because you can also literally make money
(Steam money, but that's basically money for us)
while you play. The community isn't even close to the bad things people say about it. I've seen much, much, much, and also much worse.

Deques

Will Nosgoth cost monthly to play or is it like Guild Wars where you just pay for the game and it will always be f2p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom