• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

73V3N

Banned
What happened to the games night thing? it got a different thread, right?

I wanted to play dota with some of you, had lot of fun the last two matches I played with you

KarmaCow

Cool will buy, thanks. (loved Risk of Rain solo) once you get it down

If you liked Risk of Rain's difficulty, Magicite might be disappointing. There are some in-game challenges for bonuses, but playing normally it's pretty easy to get to the end in a run.

I was actually thinking of buying risk of rain for the single player. Is it completely broken without friends or something?

It's hardly broken by any means, but the game kinda devolves to running around in circles picking off enemies with how the spawns work. I just found that just having another target for the enemies makes things more manageable and interesting.

Those microtransactions... are those where you pay to get better stuff? Sounds more like a pay2win game :/

Depends on the game. Some games offer microtransactions that are fairer than others. Marvel Heroes is reasonably fair. I found Star Trek Online's to be not that bad. If it's pay2win, you'll see it repeated often in the reviews.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Those microtransactions... are those where you pay to get better stuff? Sounds more like a pay2win game :/

The developers claim that they do not intend to make it a p2w game and it is quite well received from the players, so I guess all the premium stuff is mostly cosmetic

abracadaver

Another Red Faction Gueriila:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

rfg63jzj.jpg

Red Faction: Guerilla -- MB-EDF6BA6E28F438DE - Taken by topyy. 9 entrants total.

t1407434328z1.png

jblank83

Another Red Faction Gueriila:

I loved this game. I mean, I really really liked it.

It's not perfect. It's buggy and sometimes janky. The missions can be repetitive and the AI can be unfair. But running around blowing up buildings, driving through Martian valleys and along cliffs, capturing bases, and smashing everything with a big hammer is so much fun.

Dr Dogg

What is this game about Dogg? Can you give me a bit of context and possibly some impressions?

Sure I've only played about an hour and a bit so I'll leave anything concrete until later on this evening but here's the gist. You play as The Ranger who happens upon a village where the children go out into the wilds to collect berries to help them prosper only they are getting lost in the snowy weather so it's your job to go rescue them. There is a bit more to the story but it's hardly got started yet so I can't really comment on it.

Gameplay wise though it's essentially a puzzle game with tile based moved of 1 square at a time, procedural levels mixed in with bespoke ones as well and some survival game mechanics like depleting health and using items in the environment to stay alive. What the main mechanic is that the staff you find in the opening cutscene allows you to pick up objects and throw them. You can pick up objects that are adjacent to you from any direction so the four cardinal directions or top, bottom, left and right and if you are next to more than one object you will pick them all up (so if you had one above you, in front of you and bellow you you'd pick all 3 up). Throwing them sends objects off in there opposite direction and this is how the puzzle sections work as it's like a tile puzzle game but also you can match certain types of objects in adjacent square to either unlock the exit to the next screen or combine them to make useful items.

The other main gameplay mechanic is saving lost children which to have to reunite with their mothers. This is done in the same way as moving objects but this time you must find a mother to reunite with the kids you find. You have a certain amount to save each year. I've only just done the first year which is essentially the way progress is measure of you career (going by the clear screen there are 15 years of you career as child saviour). I'm still really early in but it's not as easy as find child, pick child up, lob child at mum, win game as there are other animals out in the forest (so far I've only seen wolves but the achievements point to all other sorts) which make you have to think of the path you want to create by moving objects and such. They can be carried from one screen to the next though then another mechanic comes into play.

You have an energy meter and this can be depleted in a few ways, if it gets fully depleted it's gameover. If you pick up an object with you staff that's fine but every square of movement costs 1 unit of energy whilst you are still carrying it, this is the same with picking up children too. Also because of the perpetual snowy weather some screens have blizzards on them which cost 1 unit of energy as you move regardless if you are carrying anything. There are ways which you can replenish your energy, either through combing certain items together or by finding consumables is the environment or from throwing other objects to reveal them. As stated earlier you can combine objects by aligning them in adjacent tiles. Each time you find a new combination this is added to a recipe book or journal so you know what the combination is. There are also shrines in the forest for each year so if you do reach a gameover you will start from the last shire you found instead of the 1st year.

Phew. Well that may seem like a lot to take in but it's all quite natural and very easy to pick things up as you go. And I haven't even gotten started on the gameplay of the village hub yet that you have chance to explore at the start of each year. The devs posted a link to their forums where they outline the basics of the gameplay if you want a better understanding of the mechanics (as I've probably butchered it a little here with only limited experience).

http://spryfox.com/forums/topic/intro-to-road-not-taken-plus-helpful-tips/

They also have some vids on their YouTube channel going into detail of the various systems within the game.

Any movement on the STFU front? Below?

Title Screen: https://vine.co/v/MEEtJ6V7YMX gimme

Capy tweeted they're going to Gamescom and the company they have teamed up with are showing off Below so fingers crossed we'll hear some news on both soon.

Whilst on my daily search for a release date for Super TIME Force Ultra I spotted this on Capy's twitter feed.

/// Capy is joining up with @IndieMEGABOOTH and heading to our first ever GAMESCOM! http://indiemegabooth.com/event/gamescom-2014/

36 titles in all from 34 devs including Capy. Quite a few interesting titles there, most if which have had a showing of some sort already but any more Below details are most welcome.

L.O.R.D

i just found if you open several games using SAM , it will count in your week play time
for example , if you open 4 games for 1 hours
you will gain 4 hours in your gameplay for this week

I still have a decent sized backlog from the 2013 winter sale, but my friend bought me all of the Skyrim DLC so I've been playing that nonstop.

Deques

i just found if you open several games using SAM , it will count in your week play time

It is the same if you open multiple games in the Steam client itself

KingDirk

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KingDirk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shovel Knight -- MB-976EFD778A7C5284 - Taken by dxhc99. 170 entrants total.

t1407477466z1.png

Reposting because I am dumb and forgot to do autorepost.

Deques

Humble Weekly Bundle is full of Japanese games!

$1 Tier
Unholy Heights
One Way Heroics
Gigantic Army

$6 Tier
Ys Origin
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
PixelJunk Shooter

$10 Tier
Assbreed

Turfster

Humble Japan bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Unholy Heights
  • One way heroics
  • Gigantic Army
TIER 2: 6$
  • Ys Origin
  • Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
  • Pixeljunk Shooter
TIER 3: 10$
  • Astebreed

abracadaver

Another chance to win Red Faction Guerilla:

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

rfg63jzj.jpg

Red Faction Gueriila -- MB-449AF41E4CB03E40 - Taken by Perun. 4 entrants total.

t1407435288z1.png

I wanted to post some silly reaction pic, but you are just too cute.

*pats on head* yes it does, kiddo, yes it does.

Deques

yah , but if i open multiple games in the same time , it will take huge amount of resources from my PC , and it will eat my processor

If you are opening multiple games for cards drops then I suggest you not to as it will make each card drop take much longer time to get a drop. Use IdleM@ster instead. It will go through all your games that have card drops left and stop idling a game once all cards are dropped for that game

Jawmuncher

So I formatted that drive stuck it back in the PC and I can't get anything to boot disc wise.
Just the reboot and select proper boot device which I've done.

I can acess bios and everything else just fine so I don't know what I'm missing

That humble bundle is amazing! Best bundle in a long time.

One Way Heroics is god-tier, so I hope you all play & enjoy it.

The Marvel Heroes DLC is half off for the next week.

I was hoping there would be a sale... I'm currently enamoured by Marvel Heroes so this can only be good news for me (and bad news for my wallet).

Evrain

A special vouch for Gigantic Army, from Astro Port (Satazius): consider it a crude, short and yet addictive breed between a bullet hell and your favorite Macross game from the SNES era - think Cybernator - that is going to give you a run for your money, especially by going for a 1CC.

Turfster

So I formatted that drive stuck it back in the PC and I can't get anything to boot disc wise.
Just the reboot and select proper boot device which I've done.

I can acess bios and everything else just fine so I don't know what I'm missing

How do you mean?
It doesn't boot from dvdrom any more?
Because that's just a bios setting (assuming you didn't nudge a cable too much by accident or something else hardware related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom