• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game comes out in a couple hours, and it looks awesome:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/298480/

It's an open-ended sandbox world where you start out with one ship and then sail around like in Pirates, taking out enemy ships, subs and convoys. You get money and XP, and can upgrade and add ships to your fleet. Eventually you can take over enemy ports.

It looks like the Mount and Blade of WWII naval combat.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think it's dumb. I bought the Ultra upgrade and want it to reflect the current version. They have to stick with the same appId so they had to go with one name or the other. Either way it's going to be annoying for some users. I'd rather it be annoying the ones who essentially abandoned the game and are not keeping up with the community.

Capcom didn't have to stick with the same app id. Releasing Ultra as DLC was just easier, although it's now come back to bite it in the arse a bit because there's undoubtedly going to be a fair bit of confusion.

@JaseC. I guess I should buy the Witcher 3 before they lock up again huh?

It's never been region-locked, but, yeah, better safe than sorry.

pahamrick

Not for everyone.
Do you have an nvidia card?

Not to mention there's registry fixes that solve the judder problem. I played through the entire DC before the huge patch that fixed tons of issues and didn't have any stutter / judder problems after applying the registry tweaks. I'm using AMD cards, btw.

Lomax

I guess Capcom doesn't realize how much money they are missing out on by making Street Fighter backgrounds that are simply backgrounds instead of ones of their characters. The cards are really nice at least. A background of that Chun-Li image would probably be selling for $10 right now though.

In my current playthrough of the DC, I've encountered what I think is a derpy UI, it doesn't seem right to me. However, I'd rather be able to beat the bosses with a stealth build.
yeah, some builds are nearly impossible to play if you don't cheese the bosses.

I met a coworker that has a gaming PC. I asked him for his Steam account so we could be friends and he said he doesn't use Steam. I've heard of some people maintaining an anti-Steam stance before but never met one in real life. I asked him jokingly how he plays PC games without having a Steam account and he told me he only buys discs. So be it my friend.

When I got home from work last night I was curious how many of my Steam games even had disc versions, and the answer was "not very many". The whole experience was somewhat mystifying to me.
That's weird, usually in my experience, the only people who only buy discs are students without credit cards.

Hugstable

Banned
That's why I'm afraid to play any RPG without a collectibles guide. The perfectionist in me take over a lot..

If it's your first run you should just be playing normal without a guide anyway. Those completionist runs should always be saved for a second run of the game or else you're gonna be spending more time looking at a guide than playing the game since it's your first time through it. Play normally!

Shadownet

Banned
If it's your first run you should just be playing normal without a guide anyway. Those completionist runs should always be saved for a second run of the game or else you're gonna be spending more time looking at a guide than playing the game since it's your first time through it. Play normally!

Ain't nobody got time for a 2nd run!
too many games to play.
:p

Ban Puncher

I met a coworker that has a gaming PC. I asked him for his Steam account so we could be friends and he said he doesn't use Steam. I've heard of some people maintaining an anti-Steam stance before but never met one in real life. I asked him jokingly how he plays PC games without having a Steam account and he told me he only buys discs. So be it my friend.

When I got home from work last night I was curious how many of my Steam games even had disc versions, and the answer was "not very many". The whole experience was somewhat mystifying to me.

He sounds more reasonable than my mate who says PCs are only for word processing and the Xbone is the greatest gaming console to grace the earth.

vg260

Capcom didn't have to stick with the same app id. Releasing Ultra as DLC was just easier, although it's now come back to bite it in the arse a bit because there's undoubtedly going to be a fair bit of confusion.

Yeah, I guess so, but how else could they have done it? Was there a way they could still offer the upgrade price while allowing other retailers to sell just the upgrade? If they made it so that you had to have AE on your Steam account to get a discounted Ultra, it would only be available to buy via Steam directly, right?
Anyway, still confusing, but I'm glad they went with the Ultra renaming.

Hope we get an upgrade option for Sleeping Dogs like the one we got for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. $60 is too much for a "definitive version" of a two year old game.

Hope we get Mantle support as well, that would be great.

Sendou

For most parts this is what I recommend. Although one exception I can remember is Golden Sun (JRPG by Camelot released on GBA) where missing Djinns is a real bummer.

Uzzy

He sounds more reasonable than my mate who says PCs are only for word processing and the Xbone is the greatest gaming console to grace the earth.

You know exactly what to do, Man Puncher.

I guess Capcom doesn't realize how much money they are missing out on by making Street Fighter backgrounds that are simply backgrounds instead of ones of their characters. The cards are really nice at least. A background of that Chun-Li image would probably be selling for $10 right now though.

Too right. Capcom are leaving tons of money on the table. I know I'd pay a decent amount for a nice Juri background, or a Chun Li one.

Dr Dogg

Hope we get an upgrade option for Sleeping Dogs like the one we got for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. $60 is too much for a "definitive version" of a two year old game.

Hope we get Mantle support as well, that would be great.

Well every Western Square Enix game since DE: HR has been partnered with AMD so could be a distinct possibility. Though Mantle support was in Thief that was on Unreal Engine 3 so considering Sleeping Dogs is on United Front's own engine I'm not to sure how much of a task that would be to implement.

One thing I'm still curious is what is Nixxes' other game they're are supposedly working on for 2014. They have had a 'To Be Announced' placeholder there for ages now.

http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/projects

neoemonk

That's weird, usually in my experience, the only people who only buy discs are students with credit cards.

I didn't even know people like that exist. Do they have to be extra cautious about Steamworks? Some disc based games still require a Steam account I believe.

Dr Dogg

Rise of the Tomb Raider, maybe?

Could be and that's the one which would make the most sense seeing as it's announced and their recent job listings have be point to AAA production. Despite Rise of the Tomb Raider being 2015 and Temple of Osiris being 2014 there has been a placeholder on Nixxes' projects page since I went to see if they were working on Thief back around this time last year.

Grief.exe

My guess is he only plays Blizzard games.

pahamrick

Figure I might as well ask one more time.

Anyone know what needs to be edited to remove the rounded corners in the grid layout view?

Not happy with the Temple of Osiris retailer specific pre-order bonuses. I think I might just wait for a sale to pick up a 'complete' version now.

BTW, if anyone is thinking about getting the game, Amazon is offering $5 store credit in addition to the 10% pre-order discount.

Turfster

Not happy with the Temple of Osiris retailer specific pre-order bonuses. I think I might just wait for a sale to pick up a 'complete' version now.

BTW, if anyone is thinking about getting the game, Amazon is offering $5 store credit in addition to the 10% pre-order discount.

Retailer specific preorder bonuses are a plague, and I blame zombie US retail shops for them =p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, I guess so, but how else could they have done it? Was there a way they could still offer the upgrade price while allowing other retailers to sell just the upgrade? If they made it so that you had to have AE on your Steam account to get a discounted Ultra, it would only be available to buy via Steam directly, right?
Anyway, still confusing, but I'm glad they went with the Ultra renaming.

What Capcom could have done is:

- Made Ultra its own app (and probably also remove SSFIV:AE from the store considering its redundancy)
- Added some sort of loyalty DLC app to the SSFIV:AE subs, which Steam looks at to determine eligibility for the cheaper Ultra upgrade and also retail key activations (achievable by using AppIDOwnedRequired)
- Sold both editions of Ultra on third-party retailers but treated the upgrade like DLC -- e.g. there's a clear disclaimer that states ownership of SSFIV:AE is required

It would've involved more busy work, but there'd be no confusion over who owns what.

Edit: Europa 1400: The Guild (prequel to this) and Aura 2: The Sacred Rings (sequel to this) are en route courtesy of Nordic.

Sendou

Also if you happen to live in Europe it's already 12.95€ there compared to 17.99€ from Steam.

fantomena

I see being a PC gamer and not using Steam on the edge as impossible. Thanksfully GOG is doing a good job, but GOG is miles away from getting a Steam-lool-a-like library.

Turfster

New Games Republic Devolver Digital deals:
  • Shadow Warrior 75% off
  • Shadow Warrior Classic Redux 75% off
  • Duke Nukem 3D Megaton 75% off

Dr Dogg

Clearly some you guys have no idea how hostile some staunch Football Manager fans are to Steam. When 2012 came out SI's forums were an absolute mess with threads about 'Steam malware' and 'oppressive DRM'. Funnily this was also a year where SI said that had some pretty good sales so it makes you wonder eh.

Anteater

Could you possibly please help walked me on how to do this?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about python or coding!

but here are the steps that works for me:

1. Download and install Python 3 (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.3.0/python-3.3.0.msi)
2. Copy and Paste this script into a text file (or download using that raw link and edit that), in the script where it says url = "http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/" + str(id) + "/header.jpg", replace that with url = "http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/" + str(id) + "/header.jpg"
alternatively you can just download this file
3. Right Click on the .py file you downloaded/made, and choose "edit with IDLE" (you need python 3 installed), a box with the script should pop up
4. Select Run --> Run Module
5. It should ask for your profile name, type it in and press enter
6. It should download all the images from your profile into a folder named steam_headers in the same location as your .py file
7. Now for the last step the reddit post says to copy all the images to the right directory in userdata, something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\12345678\config\grid, I'm not sure how to tell the right one, but I have 3 folders under userdata so I copied them to the 2 folders that didn't have my custom tiles.

If it doesn't work, then I have no idea :D

Source: Original Reddit Post

rtcn63

The original 2033 runs like ass for me (i5, GTX 670). I get frequent framerate dips to nothing, and it's overheated my card at least once. (Something no other game has done) The remasters should've been given out as a free upgrade considering how iffy the originals were.

Oddly, on my old E8400/HD4850, the game ran fairly stable.

Knurek

My guess is he only plays Blizzard games.

He may also be one of those 'Steam is DRM, so pretty much just a DoHS rootkit sniffing on your harddrive for terrorist propaganda so that they can arrest you and hold you indefinitely' people, and can only use GOG and the likes.

KingDirk

So after winning One-Way Heroics my pal gifted me the bundle. So as to not seem a complete ass, paying forward the duplicates.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KingDirk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ys: Origin -- MB-5B2C1AEE3A82DBFA - Taken by Dragon1893. 32 entrants total.
One-Way Heroics -- MB-158E554685933E1D - Taken by TheLight. 4 entrants total.

t1407519831z1.png

JakeD

heroes of a broken land keys up on groupees build a greenlight bundle 5...bonus! if you install and play today you can make 16 cents from playfire!

Also they comment on complaints about the price and explain why LL Redux, despite not that many changes, is a separate game instead of a patch: http://steamcommunity.com/app/286690/discussions/0/34094415777794897/

The latter proved to be impossible for a technical reason. Because of the changes to the engine, which necessitated dropping 32-bit support; we literally could not 'patch' the game.

So the game is 64bit only or do I misunderstand something?

BruteUA

Clearly some you guys have no idea how hostile some staunch Football Manager fans are to Steam. When 2012 came out SI's forums were an absolute mess with threads about 'Steam malware' and 'oppressive DRM'. Funnily this was also a year where SI said that had some pretty good sales so it makes you wonder eh.

Sounds like the reviews on Amazon for Steam-redeemable games.

fantomena

Received a press mail with 2 press codes for the early access game Tango Fiesto from Mastertronic.

Only needed 1 so here is the other.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fantomena, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tango Fiesta -- MB-0591CD3A8A1FEC39 - Taken by diablogod. 24 entrants total.

t1407520851z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You really should. It is, unfortunately, hindered by some trial and error as you come to grips with the game's color management and farming systems, but the game's world is worth putting up with a few restarts to see more of.
yea basically pathologic is a lot of disturbing gibberish for the non-russian speaker.

the void is great tho, one of my favorite games ever just in the way it breaks out of so many genres

like seriously what the fuck is it?

it's crazy, that's what it is

and i love it

tbh just use the easy mod. there's one that lowers it to 'normal' and i've played the game with and without the mod and it's not that different. you can still mess up pretty bad but you know it's a bit less brutal

you'll still be always short of resources

also remember to always draw the alpha spell with like longer "arms" than like the fat part. i dunno how to properly say it but learning that was the trick behind the dumb shape recognition was like major eureka moment
Fine, I'll give The Void a try tonight if I decide not to finish GoW 1 yet. You (Zky) had mentioned the Easy mod before, but I'd rather try the original difficulty first. I'll download it if it gets too frustrating, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom