• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaZZe

Banned
Not sure if anyone here knows but Dota 2 downloads 0 bytes forever (queue/download infinite loop) in Steam last beta causing lag in steam. any fix?

Sober

I am conflicted gaf

I want to buy Metro 2033 Redux as it is a major update over the original as this video shows .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkjwylwJjUY&list=UU6XGqPhLktO4equS99J2ENw

Also the fact that it is only 10 € right now is making it easier .

The thing is is that i am not sure if Metro last light redux is also worth a purchase .

Does anyone know if anything has changed in that game and if yes . are those changes enough to warrant a purchase ?
I'm guessing that most of that comparison footage there is 2033 vs. 2033 Redux? I haven't heard much about what is new in LL Redux, so I might just grab 2033 Redux for now and see what exactly is up with the redux version of sequel. Last I heard it was just some small minor improvements and maybe the extra non-Ranger gameplay modes versus the huge engine changes for 2033.

Tellaerin

why would you use an analog stick for a 2d NES style action platformer..

this is why I don't get why he just took it out completely while working on a fix...

I'm not sure either, unless he felt it would cut down on possible complaints in user reviews while he worked on getting it fixed. (Always did think it sucked that reviews citing problems that had long since been fixed could "stick" on a review indefinitely with enough upvotes.) Hopefully he gets things sorted soon, because I was enjoying it with a gamepad, and I'm not a big fan of playing platformers with the keyboard.

GaussTek

It has been a relatively exciting week as far as PC gaming goes.

• RErelease announced
  • Sleeping Dogs Definitive
  • Source 2
  • Master Chief Collection retail entry
  • Rise Son of Rome announced

Probably missed some, let me know and I will update.

Not so big like those and wasn't really an announcement, but XSEED also said a couple days ago that The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky was their most successful launch on PC, and added the following:

We're set to bring as much additional JRPG goodness to PC as we can. We're humbled & will look to increase our DRM-free offerings too.

So, more JRPG love on Steam/PC soon too :p

Kiru

Nope Jet Gunner achievements still won't unlock for me. Looking into the community, I'm not the only one with that problem. Fuck this game for now.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Sierra might be back from the dead.

yes ... Activision will soon announce Sierra coming back ... as another CoD map-making studio ;) imagine how funny that would be
(and by "funny" I mean "fuck you, Activision!!!")

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

they will have a plethora of hats for the dog, though
as DLC, naturally

2014-08-08_19-49-04.jpg

I know it's not really steam-related, but ....

Backlogger

I'm interested in getting 2033 Redux but is it really a huge improvement worth $12.50? I haven't played through the original version yet, but I do own it already.

Levyne

Banned
All this Metro talk reminds me that I think I have two pieces of Last Light DLC I've never tried. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm interested in getting 2033 Redux but is it really a huge improvement worth $12.50? I haven't played through the original version yet, but I do own it already.
Most people are just thinking about getting 2033 Redux. Wait and see approach on Last Light Redux.

Deitus

What's the story behind this? Seen multiple people complain about this before.

A lot of people use literally to describe things that are in no way, shape, or form literal, because they don't understand the meaning of words. Dictionaries were updated to reflect the actual usage of the word, however incorrect it is, and somewhat recently this update made the news. Now people use this to justify "see, I told you literally didn't mean literally".

No! I understand that dictionaries cover a variety of slang terms and misused words, because they document the way language is used. And many words we use today are corruptions of their original usage. That doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and say "fuck it, I guess all words now mean the opposite of what they are supposed to mean." You can still use words the right way to preserve their meaning, even if there are people out there who do not do so.

Edit: I'll also fight anyone who says "I could care less." Word Crimes are serious business.

A lot of people use literally to describe things that are in no way, shape, or form literal, because they don't understand the meaning of words. Dictionaries were updated to reflect the actual usage of the word, however incorrect it is, and somewhat recently this update made the news. Now people use this to justify "see, I told you literally didn't mean literally".

No! I understand that dictionaries cover a variety of slang terms and misused words, because they document the way language is used. And many words we use today are corruptions of their original usage. That doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and say "fuck it, I guess all words now mean the opposite of what they are supposed to mean." You can still use words the right way to preserve their meaning, even if there are people out there who do not do so.

Edit: I'll also fight anyone who says "I could care less." Word Crimes are serious business.

I am completely with you in this battle.

The part where it starts to become tricky is the friends that seem to use literally wrong even when they know they're wrong, like they're trolling.

Ozium

What's the story behind this? Seen multiple people complain about this before.

Not sure if there's a specific incident people are referencing, but I know I hate people using "literally" as an intensifier ("That game is literally the worst thing in the world!")

I hate these Word Crimes

Is there some sort of endgame to Paper Please? Or does it keep going forever?

there are several endings and an unlockable endless mode..

It has been a relatively exciting week as far as PC gaming goes.
  • Master Chief Collection retail entry
I just hope this turns out be real. Love FPS, never played Halo.
Games loosing exclusivity and being able to be enjoyed by more people is always welcomed.
It's really a great time to be PC player and Steam adds much to this. I like the community features like Cards, Market, Activity Feed etc.
More and more it doesn't make sense to me to get Consoles besides exclusives.
Being able to put the money that would be spent otherwise in console+software into PC hardware+software while knowing you're not missing much on the console end is liberating.
Only those Japanese games won't come to Steam easily, hah.

Tellaerin

Wait, what? Are we living on Bizarro world now? I understand language is a fluid, living thing, but we really need to have some constants. Words not acquiring the opposite of their original meaning because people are too ignorant to use them properly is probably a good place to start. >_<

Ozium

there are many endings based on your choices and they're all awesome

It wasn't awesome when my neigbors ratted me out to the police after I took a bribe from that group (and then never let any of their members in... suckers) and I got arrested.

:( y u do dis

zkylon

zkylewd
It wasn't awesome when my neigbors ratted me out to the police after I took a bribe from that group (and then never let any of their members in... suckers) and I got arrested.

:( y u do dis

well u know the music and funny pictures and just overall unceremoniously cutscenes are just adorable

I've had surprisingly adult interaction in casual. There's an air of meme humor hanging around, but mostly the little kid trash talk gets called out expediently. There's not much recourse for that, either, since it's mostly hollow and dimwitted commentary. "Commentary" used in the loosest sense.

I get a ton of laughs out of casual. There are some quick-witted, snappy people running around there. With a tendency of dropping out of quiet or the above-mentioned servers, which you can mostly pick up on within a single round, it feels pretty good to lock into a relaxing and sometimes dumb group of rounds.

I plan on moving the ole PC back into the office and out of couch-comfort zone here shortly, so feel free to add me up. I can't play that game with a controller and a couch. That goes for anyone else who is down for some casual playing.

Deitus

Wait, what? Are we living on Bizarro world now? I understand language is a fluid, living thing, but we really need to have some constants. Words not acquiring the opposite of their original meaning because people are too ignorant to use them properly is probably a good place to start. >_<

Sadly, this does appear to be the darkest timeline. I understand the merit of documenting slang usage, but this is a step too far.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

1 : in a literal sense or manner : actually <took the remark literally> <was literally insane>
2 : in effect : virtually <will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice &#8212; Norman Cousins>
----

So as not to be completely off topic, I picked up Metro 2033 for cheap during the Steam sale for the expressed purpose of getting 50% off 2033 Redux. I'll probably wait for the next Steam sale to pick up Last Light, and hopefully people will have impressions by then as to whether it's worth paying more for the upgrade. Although, I hope they don't intentionally refuse to put Last Light vanilla on sale in order to force people to buy copies of Last Light Redux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom