• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pudge

ProtoGalaxy has gone completely free on Steam. I think this is the second time this is happened recently, as Saira recently did it as well.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/60600/

I have finally gotten around to playing Shovel Knight. Figured I'd give some impressions. I doubt there is much I can say that hasn't already been said, though. The base platforming/combat is very solid and feels good, although the walking speed honestly feels a bit on the slow side. Everything feels pretty fair though. The actual level design can be pretty challenging and involve a decent amount of respawning at the last checkpoint, assuming you didn't break it for extra cash (generally not necessary). The bosses are very well designed, but all way too easy. Getting to the end of a level feels like a good accomplishment, but the bosses themselves are kind of pushovers considering how many health bars and OP items you get.

I am playing on the 3DS. I was expecting to get the steam version, but a friend convinced me that the 3DS version is great, and I had some credit left over. It does seem like a really solid port, and the 3d effect looks pretty good with it. There is also a streetpass feature as well as the ability to trade 3ds coins for gold . However, it seems that the 3DS has not yet received the latest patch that the WiiU and PC have, so I encountered a glitch at the boss of a level near the end of the game and had to replay the whole level; that was upsetting.

I highly recommend it. I feel it was worth it at $15, but would be a better deal at a discount, because I believe it's only about 5 hours, not counting NG+ and such.

I've had surprisingly adult interaction in casual.

Sounds sexy!

jblank83

Even after all these years Half life 2 still looks amazing

Taken with cinematic mod .

Just never EVER install the character models that comes with the mod !

Unlike the N64-PS1 era (and even there, some games still look alright), the later generations of 3D are fine. Just as we look back on early 2d games like Donkey Kong and go "you know, that looks nice", we'll be looking back on these games and thinking they're actually alright.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
JaseC alert

This game (just released) really looks like this game.

I mean like... really looks like it.

Lain

A lot of people use literally to describe things that are in no way, shape, or form literal, because they don't understand the meaning of words. Dictionaries were updated to reflect the actual usage of the word, however incorrect it is, and somewhat recently this update made the news. Now people use this to justify "see, I told you literally didn't mean literally".

No! I understand that dictionaries cover a variety of slang terms and misused words, because they document the way language is used. And many words we use today are corruptions of their original usage. That doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and say "fuck it, I guess all words now mean the opposite of what they are supposed to mean." You can still use words the right way to preserve their meaning, even if there are people out there who do not do so.

Edit: I'll also fight anyone who says "I could care less." Word Crimes are serious business.

Will you also fight those that use of in place of have?

Wait, what? Are we living on Bizarro world now? I understand language is a fluid, living thing, but we really need to have some constants. Words not acquiring the opposite of their original meaning because people are too ignorant to use them properly is probably a good place to start. >_<

So you want "egregious" to mean "great" again?

A lot of people use literally to describe things that are in no way, shape, or form literal, because they don't understand the meaning of words. Dictionaries were updated to reflect the actual usage of the word, however incorrect it is, and somewhat recently this update made the news. Now people use this to justify "see, I told you literally didn't mean literally".

No! I understand that dictionaries cover a variety of slang terms and misused words, because they document the way language is used. And many words we use today are corruptions of their original usage. That doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and say "fuck it, I guess all words now mean the opposite of what they are supposed to mean." You can still use words the right way to preserve their meaning, even if there are people out there who do not do so.

Edit: I'll also fight anyone who says "I could care less." Word Crimes are serious business.
Thank you for showing me with that video!

Shadownet

Banned
There are mulltiple storylines and endings and shit.

There's a story mode.

I haven't bought any games in a long while. Maybe I own all the worthwhile ones now?

It has a limited number of endings, some clearly intended to be successful and some failures.

there are many endings based on your choices and they're all awesome

There are several different endings depending on your performance and choices you make.

They all occur around the 30 day mark if I remember correctly.

Awesome, thanks for the answers guys. Good thing its on sale.
----------------------

I gotta replace my left tire cause my mom punctured the tire on my car. -__- why do you do this when I don't have work mom.

MUnited83

For you.
Regarding GamersGoMakers.... seems to be as much as a ripoff than Game Dev Tycoon is a ripoff of Game Dev Story....

edit: darn, doublepost,sorry

Tellaerin

So you want "egregious" to mean "great" again?

Hey, what's done is done. (In the case of "egregious", we're talking about a shift in meaning that took place in Shakespeare's day, IIRC.) That doesn't mean we should sit idly by while the language in its current form devolves before our eyes. :p

Regarding GamersGoMakers.... seems to be as much as a ripoff than Game Dev Tycoon is a ripoff of Game Dev Story....

"Heavily inspired by", then? >.>

(And trying to parse that title is doing bad things to my brain. How do you "go maker"? Is that like going wild, or is it more like going commando?)

Jawmuncher

I don't understand the problem in having games with a similar premise. So all 3 of those games are about making games so what?

So long as it isn't a exact copy like that one company does. I don't see the issue.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
thats gold. archive that thread as evidence against him

Even worse (I think) is this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314320/discussions/0/35220315662725658/#p4

Basically, the developer says to an end user "Tell me how you would have done the graphics" in response to that user criticizing the graphics for being so similar to Game Dev Tycoon. The user fires back with some constructive comments about how they would use 2D pixel art, drop the isometric view, and maybe focus more on showing your corporate growth by showing the outside of the building rather than the inside.

The dev response?

I most certainly don't think that would work with a game like this, and I certainly know that you're not looking seriously into it. Think a bit more seriously, like this was your game... you wouldn't do that.

Seems like a prick to me.

jshackles

I don't understand the problem in having games with a similar premise. So all 3 of those games are about making games so what?

So long as it isn't a exact copy like that one company does. I don't see the issue.

I guess it's just kind of jarring to see what is essentially the same game with the same premise use very similar graphics.

Maybe nothing will happen, I mean we're talking about two different indie development shops here. But if one game was made by EA and the other by Activision, this is the kind of shit that would end in litigation.

iosefe

Even worse (I think) is this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314320/discussions/0/35220315662725658/#p4

Basically, the developer says to an end user "Tell me how you would have done the graphics" in response to that user criticizing the graphics for being so similar to Game Dev Tycoon. The user fires back with some constructive comments about how they would use 2D pixel art, drop the isometric view, and maybe focus more on showing your corporate growth by showing the outside of the building rather than the inside.

The dev response?

Seems like a prick to me.

sweet jesus. how did allthis get this far?

Ozium

Aww Yissss

Mount Your Friends Update Tu.Tu brings more Multiplayer Modifiers
AUGUST 8 - STEGERSAURUS GAMES
Thanks everyone who has been enjoying Mount Your Friends! All the custom outfits, online matches, and general sillyness has been great. Today comes the release of version Tu.Tu, which brings with it more variety for your online matches! Two new Levels/Modes have been introduced that will have new strategies in competitive play, as well as new spawn options so that the Storm environment doesn't have to be the most unfair setting ever. Lobbies also now have a soundboard-style chat system so you can be more coordinated with your fellow mounters! I hope everyone tries these new additions and takes advantage of having yet another excuse to get mounting!

edit: lol I really don't think that game is going to get taken down because it has a similar art style.. the assets are different and apparently the gameplay is different too... shackles just duped jasec into buying it lol

Fox318

I guess it's just kind of jarring to see what is essentially the same game with the same premise use very similar graphics.

Maybe nothing will happen, I mean we're talking about two different indie development shops here. But if one game was made by EA and the other by Activision, this is the kind of shit that would end in litigation.

So where is the Cook Serve Delicious ripoff where you make meth?

MUnited83

For you.

I don't know man, I really couldn't tell CoD and MoH Warfighter apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom