• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Outside of the actual fighting, Street Fighter is really depressing. Rubbish story mode and barely any training features make for a weak feature list. I'm hoping for improvements in those regards in Street Fighter 5. Heck, steal the MK/Injustice story mode and the Skullgirls training mode.

The thing with SF's story is that they thought it up and never really considered thinking of future stuff.
Heck the cast itself can hardly lend to any epic or big story.
Ryu's plot in every game he's been in, is the effin' same, save the Alpha/Zero games since they acted as prequels.

If anything, they shouldn't bother with coming up with stories since they fall flat.

Mono

Outside of the actual fighting, Street Fighter is really depressing. Rubbish story mode and barely any training features make for a weak feature list. I'm hoping for improvements in those regards in Street Fighter 5. Heck, steal the MK/Injustice story mode and the Skullgirls training mode.

What, really?! I always assumed it had the most extensive features since a lot of people seem to say that Street Fighter is the best competitively. That's too bad.

Injustice's story mode + Skullgirls training mode + Soul Calibur V's online modes would make the perfect fighting game!

i gotchu bro. gracias

Have fun! \o/

Jawmuncher

Agreed Street Fighters feature list is why it's losing sales to Mortal Kombat.
A story mode alone would really help them out and bring back the hype for the mass audiences. Since I can't see them just wanting to stick with the hardcore crowd forever.

Agreed Street Fighters feature list is why it's losing sales to Mortal Kombat.
A story mode alone would really help them out and bring back the hype for the mass audiences. Since I can't see them just wanting to stick with the hardcore crowd forever.
But really, has Capcom ever made a compelling story? Or even an interesting one? The closest they ever got was with resident evil and even then it got to the point that when a character punched a boulder off a cliff you were like, sheesh I don't know about all of this.

Why is this thread on the second page?

Is there any way to fix/remove the download progress bar?

wwJDoF4.png

I stopped a download and don't want to complete it.
There's no way to fix it because it's not broken. Complete your downloads!!

Jawmuncher

But really, has Capcom ever made a compelling story? Or even an interesting one? The closest they ever got was with resident evil and even then it got to the point that when a character punched a boulder off a cliff you were like, sheesh I don't know about all of this.

Boulder punching was when I fell in love with the RE story. But besides that it's not like it needs to be something major. DMC3 for example was a pretty good story when it came to action games. Nothing huge or fancy but just what the gamer needed to go forward and still actually care what's going to happen at the end. If they threw in a SF story about the tournament that goes into some evil corporation or something people will be happy with just that. Hell SF still has a comic series running so I'm sure they could get someone to right something half decent.

rtcn63

Why that rock (or what remains of it) hasn't returned as a villain in a subsequent RE, baffles me. At least make it a playable extra like Hunk and Tofu.

Uzzy

Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist managed to tell it's story entertainingly enough, even though it was the same old Ryu/Ken/Akuma training story that's been told a hundred times before. Though I don't really know how involved Capcom were in writing the script!

What, really?! I always assumed it had the most extensive features since a lot of people seem to say that Street Fighter is the best competitively. That's too bad.

Injustice's story mode + Skullgirls training mode + Soul Calibur V's online modes would make the perfect fighting game!

The competitive part of SF is fantastic. There aren't many fighting games that could have this many characters in (44 I think?) and stay balanced and entertaining. But feature wise it's really lacking, sadly. Your idea of the perfect fighting game is certainly one I could get behind.

The thing with SF's story is that they thought it up and never really considered thinking of future stuff.
Heck the cast itself can hardly lend to any epic or big story.
Ryu's plot in every game he's been in, is the effin' same, save the Alpha/Zero games since they acted as prequels.

If anything, they shouldn't bother with coming up with stories since they fall flat.

I kinda agree, in the sense that I'd rather them strip the story out and just go for the competitive audience than put out the rubbish we've been getting. But I do think they could put together a decent story mode. If MK can put something entertaining together out of their universe, I'm sure we can get something from Street Fighter.

Mono

Does anybody know any of the RPG Maker style games on Steam now that are actually decent and short (like ten or fifteen hours)?

To The Moon! It's four hours long, extremely sad, and a great game. The writing is excellent. It was made in XP, I think. I can't think of any longer ones off the top of my head that are as good as To The Moon.

Vibranium

Banned

The Ace Attorney Series? Even if your opinion is mixed on the games (I love em all) most people highly regard Trials and Tribulations and the last case of Justice for All as some amazing, wacky and dramatic stories.

Boulder punching was when I fell in love with the RE story. But besides that it's not like it needs to be something major. DMC3 for example was a pretty good story when it came to action games. Nothing huge or fancy but just what the gamer needed to go forward and still actually care what's going to happen at the end. If they threw in a SF story about the tournament that goes into some evil corporation or something people will be happy with just that. Hell SF still has a comic series running so I'm sure they could get someone to right something half decent.
I get what you're saying. Something is better than nothing. Heck, even the original sf4 had anime openings for all characters. They stripped it down to some motion comics bullshit in the other sf4 versions.

You can at least recommend a MK or even injustice to a fighting game newbie because, besides having a fleshed out story mode, they also have a ton of features to enjoy. None of
Capcom's fighters have had that since the console port of Alpha/Zero 3, and that's a shame. Go look up their single player effort on that one, it's a real gem.

The Ace Attorney Series? Even if your opinion is mixed on the games (I love em all) most people highly regard Trials and Tribulations and the last case of Justice for All as some amazing, wacky stories.

Thanks for reminding me. I never finished an AA game but I did play all of ghost trick on my ipad and that was such a fun game. I guess they do have it in them

donny2112

To The Moon! It's four hours long, extremely sad, and a great game. The writing is excellent. It was made in XP, I think. I can't think of any longer ones off the top of my head that are as good as To The Moon.

To the Moon was a very thoughtful game, yep. Hope they do eventually come out with another in that line. The Christmas special for To the Moon was nice, too. :)

I'm about an hour or two into crysis 3 and while it plays like your average fps MY GOD MAN does it look good. There are moments where I kinda just sit there in awe, amazed at the level of detail and the fidelity of it. Christ almighty, I can see how this game could bankrupt a studio.

donny2112

Just fyi, this game is almost exactly like the vehicle creation in Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

If Microsoft's not going to do anything with the IP, maybe they could release them on Steam (N64-remakes and Nuts & Bolts). Who knows? Maybe the creation aspect of Nuts & Bolts would hit it off with the more diverse PC crowd. Custom mods through PC could be a blast! :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Given the fact that I just finished God of War for the first time, now would be a good time to change genres (and platforms) completely. Gonna start The Wolf Among Us now, and I'd like to marathon it like I did with the first season of The Walking Dead. Maybe I'll get an hour break to eat dinner, like last time.

See you all in around 12 hours!

JustinBB7

Still had this:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JustinBB7, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-8C7A613A35CB15DC - Taken by DontBlink. 2 entrants total.

t1407633715z1.png

Nabs

Given the fact that I just finished God of War for the first time, now would be a good time to change genres (and platforms) completely. Gonna start The Wolf Among Us now, and I'd like to marathon it like I did with the first season of The Walking Dead. Maybe I'll get an hour break to eat dinner, like last time.

Don't forget Ys II!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
60 new pages since I last checked the thread, so no summary guys :p
The important thing is that Shadownet turned out alright, that made me really happy :D :D :D :D :D

Also while checking for Club Nintendo DKCR3D codes saw that Dunder was selling the future GOAT Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris for real cheap and I missed it :(

lol, at work so I check GAF inrequently in like 30 mins so I missed this as well XD.

Non the less kudos for sharing the game as, despite playing little of it on PS3, is a solid game that many should def. play, especially co-op.

...which once again makes me want to bring up that you can get its sequel 'Temple of Osiris' from Russian Traders for 6 TF2 Keys+1 Tour of Duty ticket if you want base game+Season pass. As is it is not Region Locked and you would be getting the RoW ver.
In my case, I got the game for $13ish~
PRAISE THE RUSSIA BEAR
Russian_bear.jpg
Ah, so the combo is not region locked? Cool beans.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

You're going to come back a different person. That's such an awesome game.

Mono

To the Moon was a very thoughtful game, yep. Hope they do eventually come out with another in that line. The Christmas special for To the Moon was nice, too. :)

Ooo, I didn't know about the Christmas special until now; thanks! That's pretty awesome of them to make that. And I would definitely love another To The Moon game. There's a lot they can do with the universe they created and the doctors still have some loose ends.

Enemies don't respawn anywhere, so it's not grindy at all.

Awesome!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget Ys II!
Haha don't worry, I'm saving it for later. After enjoying the first one so much, I would be crazy if I didn't want to play the sequel :p

It's just that I don't have plans for tonight, so I will play the entire game in a sitting (actually two, with dinner inbetween).

You're going to come back a different person. That's such an awesome game.
Great to hear! Looking forward to sharing my impressions here.

jblank83

It is kind of depressing when idlem@ster runs out of cards to idle... Now what do I do?

IdleMaster finally finished my 69 (heehee) games yesterday. Now I'm basking in the glow of $18 free Steambucks. Still have plenty of games to play, so I'll be waiting for the next sale to clear out my wishlist.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just published Idle Master version 0.4. Changes include:
  • Added sorting options to settings.txt
  • Fixed a bug in online-detection function that would cause Idle Master to close prematurely
  • Added check to see if user's cookie data is valid
  • Idle Master no longer relies on the taskkill application which is not present in Windows XP
  • Initial support for OSX and Linux platforms
  • Includes in-depth documentation for sorting and blacklist functionality

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to disable the "X will remember this" notification in The Wolf Among Us? I remember disabling it in TWD S1, but I can't find the option here.

donny2112

Ooo, I didn't know about the Christmas special until now; thanks! That's pretty awesome of them to make that. And I would definitely love another To The Moon game. There's a lot they can do with the universe they created and the doctors still have some loose ends.

Yep, it's not playable through Steam, but it's under the Steam install folder. Kind of makes it hidden. Need to play the main game before tackling the special, but it was nice to play some more of them and see some perspective of the world outside of the To the Moon setting. :)

jshackles

Is there a way to disable the "X will remember this" notification in The Wolf Among Us? I remember disabling it in TWD S1, but I can't find the option here.

While they can be somewhat annoying, there are a few places in TWAU where these notifications are actually used for comedic effect. Not trying to give away any spoilers so I can't say how exactly. I couldn't figure out how to disable them either, but after all was said and done, I was glad they were enabled.

If Microsoft's not going to do anything with the IP, maybe they could release them on Steam (N64-remakes and Nuts & Bolts). Who knows? Maybe the creation aspect of Nuts & Bolts would hit it off with the more diverse PC crowd. Custom mods through PC could be a blast! :)

that would be a dream come true, yes

Just a cursory glance through Robocraft's parts, it seems there aren't as many weird/outlandish ones like in N&B. A PC port and a mod for unlimited part usage for that game would breathe new life into it — it could become a Minecraft, but with more functional creations. People could build giant power ranger megazords and working, to-scale Star Trek ships (though that might be possible in Robocraft, if you spend enough money).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
While they can be somewhat annoying, there are a few places in TWAU where these notifications are actually used for comedic effect. Not trying to give away any spoilers so I can't say how exactly. I couldn't figure out how to disable them either, but after all was said and done, I was glad they were enabled.
Fine, I'll try not to get too annoyed about this. Going back to the game now...

yuraya

Does anybody know any of the RPG Maker style games on Steam now that are actually decent and short (like ten or fifteen hours)?

Millennium A New Hope is about that timish. Try it out if you already have it in your backlog. Took me about 18 hours to beat it but I did on a harder difficulty with invisible enemies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Creamium, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Creamium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

A Story About My Uncle -- MB-EA040087227E02F3 - Taken by Knurek. 55 entrants total.

t1407628495z1.png

I still haven't played Psychonauts. I want to correct that.

Are there any graphic mods for it? Does it need one?

AFAIK there aren't any real popular mods for it, and it doesn't really need one graphically (at least in my opinion). Just a fair warning though, as much as I love the game there are some rather frustrating parts of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom