• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lol. nice.

Haha, it reminds me of A Scanner Darkly, which reminds me of Richard Linklater, which reminds of the Before trilogy... which reminds of Midnight in particular. I can't help but feel the ending seems like a teeny-weeny bit of a cop-out, but I do think the film explored the deconstruction of their relationship in a realistic way. Easily the best trilogy I've ever seen, though. Can't wait until I see Boyhood.

Gun to my head I'd say Sunset is the best of the aforementioned trilogy, simply because of this closing scene.

StAidan

The content isn't kid-friendly, period. Keep your kids away from it.

But it is nice to see people are following my recommendations! :)

Haha, well yeah, I guess that part wasn't readily apparent until pretty much the end of the game, so you raise a good point there. It actually turned out to be a good thing that I didn't play it with the kids around.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Haha, it reminds me of A Scanner Darkly, which reminds me of Richard Linklater, which reminds of the Before trilogy... which reminds of Midnight in particular. I can't help but feel the ending seems like a teeny-weeny bit of a cop-out, but I do think the film explored the deconstruction of their relationship in a realistic way. Easily the best trilogy I've ever seen, though. Can't wait until I see Boyhood.

Gun to my head I'd say Sunset is the best of the aforementioned trilogy, simply because of this closing scene.

We are so much alike, you and I.

The car scene in Sunset always gets me. They both drop any sort of pretense and it's just raw.

I need to see Boyhood.

I don't usually like it when a thread goes so wildly off-topic, but I fully support it when the discussion turns to Richard Linklater and particularly the Before series. An incredible trio of movies, even if the third one did anger me - but even that is amazing, because how many movies truly awaken your emotions like that? I don't think the ending was a cop-out though. I'm curious what makes you think that.

Boyhood is incredible.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I actually liked Armageddon for what it was.
RF sure is a weird franchise though all of the games did whatever the hell they wanted.

Though my order of liking them

RF2
RF1
Guerilla
Armageddon

Those FPS RF games were so much fun. RF1 is better than half life 1 in my book since they're similar FPSs

I think Armageddon is a damn fine game tbh and extremely underrated. Now don't get me wrong, I completely understand the disappointment. It's a completely linear shooter in comparison to Guerrilla, they stuck aliens into and it's all very dark.

But it still does the destruction very well and it gives you so many tools to wreck havoc, repair stuff and then wreck more havoc again :p It's almost like a distilled version of Guerrillas destruction and I've played through it twice at least now and still had a ton of fun. It's just a joy to play for me but then I guess that's what wrecking shit does to a man :p I highly recommend the DLC for it as well as it comes with a couple of great weapons too for maximum destruction. Hell Armageddon isn't even my least favourite RF, that goes to RF2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If you are a fan of Linklater's ouvre, Boyhood is a very touching application of his perspective to growing up and family. Between Waking Life, Dazed and Confused, Before, and Boyhood there's a pretty robust analysis of being human writ large, IMHO.

Parsnip

I was checking out Ultra SSF4 at Steamdb, and saw these and couldn't stop laughing.
The best part might be that they bothered to fix the watermellons typo as well. Dedication to your craft.

O1YbZiL.jpg

Am I the only person here that has their Taskbar set to hide automatically? Why would you want to have that taking up screen real estate. Those extra 80 or so pixels have saved me from the dreaded 66 and 33% Photoshop scaling horrors a number of times.
Preach it brother.

Backlogger

I saw a couple copies of Top Gun at Office Depot tonight that had a Steam logo on the back. Does that mean it comes with a Steam key?

Tizoc

I think companies do this because they hate money.

This term has lost its meaning and just seems stupidly crude.

It's just Japan not liking PC gaming in the west to overtake their console/handheld/iOS sales in Japan.
Feel free to treat this as hyperbole, I've been awake for near 20 hours now...

JaseC

I don't usually like it when a thread goes so wildly off-topic, but I fully support it when the discussion turns to Richard Linklater and particularly the Before series. An incredible trio of movies, even if the third one did anger me - but even that is amazing, because how many movies truly awaken your emotions like that? I don't think the ending was a cop-out though. I'm curious what makes you think that.

To be clear, the feeling is very slight. With Sunrise doing such a superb job of establishing the relationship and Sunset doing an equally brilliant job of maturing it, I feel that Midnight should have ended on a more definitive note instead of leaving open a frayed narrative thread. I suppose that's part of the film's charm, though -- maybe we'll see Jesse and Celine again eight years from now or maybe we won't.

If you are a fan of Linklater's ouvre, Boyhood is a very touching application of his perspective to growing up and family. Between Waking Life, Dazed and Confused, Before, and Boyhood there's a pretty robust analysis of being human writ large, IMHO.

You're not making the wait any easier. ;)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I saw a couple copies of Top Gun at Office Depot tonight that had a Steam logo on the back. Does that mean it comes with a Steam key?

I had the same thought, so I bought a copy (about a year ago now) and it turns out that the disc version ships with it's own standalone version of Steam that's super duper old. There's a spot inside for a CD key, but on mine at least it was blank.

I sent photos of everything to Steam support and their official answer was basically "sorry but we can't really help you".

So YMMV.

EDIT: to be clear, I couldn't get the game to function at all. It still requires Steam, and the installation on the disc installs the old version of Steam then copies the disc files into the proper directory. The problem is that when Steam starts up it automatically updates itself, and Top Gun (though installed and in the right place and everything) doesn't have a "Play" button on Steam. Presumably this is because the game has Steamworks code in place to check to see that you own the game, but again it's so old that it was before Steam itself had checks to see if you owned the game. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, but basically installing from the disc is like restoring a Steam backup of a friend's copy of a game you don't own - you can't play it.

To be clear, the feeling is very slight. With Sunrise doing such a superb job of establishing the relationship and Sunset doing an equally brilliant job of maturing it, I feel that Midnight should have ended on a more definitive note instead of leaving open a frayed narrative thread. I suppose that's part of the film's charm, though -- maybe we'll see Jesse and Celine again eight years from now or maybe we won't.
But in a way, all of them were open-ended.

Before Sunrise: Ended with them promising to meet six months later. We never saw the result of that...until Before Sunset.

Before Sunset: Ended with Jesse missing his flight to stay with Celine. We never really found out what happened next. We were left to speculate.

Before Midnight: Ended with them either agreeing to talk or going back into the hotel (something like that - can't remember the exact details now). It seemed like a last gasp attempt at saving their relationship. Will they stay together or get a divorce? I guess we'll find out in another nine years.

JaseC

But in a way, all of them were open-ended.

Before Sunrise: Ended with them promising to meet six months later. We never saw the result of that...until Before Sunrise.

Before Sunset: Ended with Jesse missing his flight to stay with Celine. We never really found out what happened next. We were left to speculate.

Before Midnight: Ended with them either agreeing to talk or going back into the hotel (something like that - can't remember the exact details now). It seemed like a last gasp attempt at saving their relationship. Will they stay together or get a divorce? I guess we'll find out in another nine years.

Yeah, I know. I just feel that the film would have been better served as the closing third act instead of an interstitial piece -- I love the way the story unfolded but don't quite agree with its intent, if that makes sense.

wilflare

419 card drops remaining
98 games with drops remaining
357 games eligible for booster packs

thanks jshackles... it was almost 900 card drops... and almost 300 games before idlem@ster was released

Kevin

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm logged into my Steam account on my main computer as per normal. I can view my friends list and every other function but when I want to add something to my wishlist it's telling me that I need to "Sign in" even though I'm already signed in. When I click on that it acts as if I'm on a different computer despite using my main desktop as normal. Gives me a code but before I can even type the code in the verify, the box disappears (upon minimizing the screen to get the code).

What the heck is this about?

Yeah, I know. I just feel that the film would have been better served as the closing third act instead of an interstitial piece -- I love the way the story unfolded but don't quite agree with its intent, if that makes sense.
Don't get me wrong, I had problems with the third one too. It was an unpleasant, frustrating experience at times. I was really disappointed by the direction and tone it took. It made me angry. Time has softened some of those initial emotions. I can see the brilliance more clearly now. But I still don't know if I'm happy with what happened to these cherished characters and their beautiful love story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
419 card drops remaining
98 games with drops remaining
357 games eligible for booster packs

thanks jshackles... it was almost 900 card drops... and almost 300 games before idlem@ster was released

Awesome!

tumblr_m5ul2dfPIN1qe88g8.gif

You still have quite a ways to go though! Be sure and grab the latest update especially if you want to start idling the games with the most valuable card drops first.

JaseC

Don't get me wrong, I had problems with the third one too. It was an unpleasant, frustrating experience at times. I was really disappointed by the direction and tone it took. It made me angry. Time has softened some of those initial emotions. I can see the brilliance more clearly now. But I still don't know if I'm happy with what happened to these cherished characters and their beautiful love story.

Yeah, I think the relationship crumbling over Jesse's realisation that he wants to see more of his son before he grows up and pursues independence is something that could have been handled with more finesse, especially considering how much of a slow burn (overall) the preceding films are.

Anyway, blah blah Steam games.

Tizoc

Awesome!

tumblr_m5ul2dfPIN1qe88g8.gif

You still have quite a ways to go though! Be sure and grab the latest update especially if you want to start idling the games with the most valuable card drops first.

I myself have 110ish games left with card drops atm =)
...and so far I've made near $15, but that's cuz cards are selling slow. I'm hoping to make $20 in the next few days if I'm lucky XP

Momentary

Banned
This term has lost its meaning and just seems stupidly crude.

It's just Japan not liking PC gaming in the west to overtake their console/handheld/iOS sales in Japan.
Feel free to treat this as hyperbole, I've been awake for near 20 hours now...

To me, it really does look like guys in a publishing house sit around a table and discuss what game to put on Steam that could make the least amount of money. Yeah, I'm sure there's some risk involved. But testing the waters with Cladun X2 and Clan of Champions? Come on!

Zia

Is Steam chugging along for anyone else? Want to spend way too much money on a GO gun on the marketplace, but alas.

saunderez

I myself have 110ish games left with card drops atm =)
...and so far I've made near $15, but that's cuz cards are selling slow. I'm hoping to make $20 in the next few days if I'm lucky XP

I've found that I had to relist a bunch of cards that I listed a while ago because I was being undercut so much there was no way they were gonna sell. Might be an idea to check the going price for higher value cards and make sure you're not being undercut by much.

Also - fuck Shantae: Risky's Revenge....dropping 1 card an hour is bullshit.

Tizoc

To me, it really does look like guys in a publishing house sit around a table and discuss what game to put on Steam that could make the least amount of money. Yeah, I'm sure there's some risk involved. But testing the waters with Cladun X2 and Clan of Champions? Come on!

If anything NOW is perhaps the best time to bring your more popular series. Trails in the Sky Chapter One was a top seller on both GOG and Steam, even if it was for a few days. Hopefully this'll encourage more Japanese devs to give Steam the light of day.
However this should NOT mean that devs should flood Steam with their titles simply because not everyone is gonna buy all your big titles, and thus you need a set schedule when it comes to relasing your games.
Take the Disgaea series for example; as is there are 4 main entries, and if NIS decides to release the series on Steam, they'd need to put gaps between the release of each game to not exhaust the consumer.

Backlogger

I had the same thought, so I bought a copy (about a year ago now) and it turns out that the disc version ships with it's own standalone version of Steam that's super duper old. There's a spot inside for a CD key, but on mine at least it was blank.

I sent photos of everything to Steam support and their official answer was basically "sorry but we can't really help you".

So YMMV.

EDIT: to be clear, I couldn't get the game to function at all. It still requires Steam, and the installation on the disc installs the old version of Steam then copies the disc files into the proper directory. The problem is that when Steam starts up it automatically updates itself, and Top Gun (though installed and in the right place and everything) doesn't have a "Play" button on Steam. Presumably this is because the game has Steamworks code in place to check to see that you own the game, but again it's so old that it was before Steam itself had checks to see if you owned the game. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, but basically installing from the disc is like restoring a Steam backup of a friend's copy of a game you don't own - you can't play it.

Thats dumb. They were buy one get one free, so 5 bucks each but seems like it might just be a waste of money on a gamble.

Take the Disgaea series for example; as is there are 4 main entries, and if NIS decides to release the series on Steam, they'd need to put gaps between the release of each game to not exhaust the consumer.

Gotta disagree. They'd be better off to release a Disgaea Collection. Disgaea 4 is out on the Vita this year, three years after it was on consoles. How much longer should we be waiting for a PC release, exactly?

Tizoc

Gotta disagree. They'd be better off to release a Disgaea Collection. Disgaea 4 is out on the Vita this year, three years after it was on consoles. How much longer should we be waiting for a PC release, exactly?

Isn't each Disgaea game like 20-30+ Hours to beat? Heck some could reach hundreds if you focus on getting your characters to like Lvl. 999 or 9,999 =P

I think a 3-4 if not 6 month gap between games would be beneficial, releasing them all together in a bundle for say $60...nah it'd be like giving it away for free lol.

Zantar

Neo Member
Isn't each Disgaea game like 20-30+ Hours to beat? Heck some could reach hundreds if you focus on getting your characters to like Lvl. 999 or 9,999 =P

I think a 3-4 if not 6 month gap between games would be beneficial, releasing them all together in a bundle for say $60...nah it'd be like giving it away for free lol.

Even then, personally I'd prefer them all to come out at once, just so I wouldn't have to wonder if the next one will be released on steam or not. =P

rookiejet

I've started pruning my wishlist, and I'm realizing that if I had been this thorough in researching the games I had previously wishlisted and bought, my owned games count would be far short of the ~600 games it is now. It's hurting me, this realization. All those moneys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom