• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Something about playing as Dracula wandering the streets of a modern city has the campy feel of California Man mixed in with Anne Rice. So yeah not in a good way.

Mercury Steam and Konami would have been better served remaking Symphony of the Night for 3DS/Vita/PC/Last-gen instead of Mirror of Fate.

I'd say that Symphony of the Night is one of the few games that will never need a remake as the original is pretty much prefect in every way. I even prefer the original cheesy voice work that was replaced in the Dracula X Chronicles PSP rerelease. Maybe a definitive edition with Maria added in from the Saturn version so she is more fun to break the game with and maybe have a better go at getting 16:9 support than the framed Xbox Live Arcade port. Might be an issue with the few camera static rooms but for the most part everything scrolls so there is room to amend the aspect ratio. Though I doubt Konami would want to mess around that much.

derExperte

I'm surprised that so many here didn't already own Tropico 4, after it was given to every T5 buyer and many gave that away I thought it had hit peak saturation. Also it's damn good.

Definitely not impulse buyer friendly like this one.

Was only slightly over $10 actually (cheaper in RU) and includes Space Hulk and JA1. A better mistake than T4 imo.

Strider

Buying Secret Ponchos. Seems kind of neat top-down wild west themed shooter. It's still in Early Access. I just watched a stream with the devs and they seem like nice and receptive folks. Currently it's 40% off (till 19th August) and you get a free copy. One thing I'll worried about is small online base at the moment but we'll see.

I'd buy it but it was already announced as a PS+ game when it comes to PS4 so no need for me too. Definitely looks like a lot of fun tho. Looking forward to playing it.

Uzzy

I'd say that Symphony of the Night is one of the few games that will never need a remake as the original is pretty much prefect in every way. I even prefer the original cheesy voice work that was replaced in the Dracula X Chronicles PSP rerelease. Maybe a definitive edition with Maria added in from the Saturn version so she is more fun to break the game with and maybe have a better go at getting 16:9 support than the framed Xbox Live Arcade port. Might be an issue with the few camera static rooms but for the most part everything scrolls so there is room to amend the aspect ratio. Though I doubt Konami would want to mess around that much.

I'd certainly enjoy seeing a HD tune up of Symphony of the Night, to make it look as good as Harmony of Despair, but I'd just be happy seeing the original available on Steam really.

SSPssp

I still love SOTN and replay the game every once in a while. Its still fun to play and a definitive edition with all the content in one place would be nice. I still would love an HD remake, provided they maintain the art style. I think it would look great!

Strider

I got a drop during the ESL CS:GO tournament that covered the cost of the game plus some.

Paying full price for the game redeemed.

Anteater

I just accepted, thank you very much, that's really kind of you! :)

emot-thumbsup8lay2.gif

tylerf

Crazy price mistake huh? I guess missing this one is my payback for being around for the Sonic Collection price mistake :p

Omega

Banned
when i go to the steam market it gives me the notification that i've made 155 listings and that for me to make 200 or more, i need to fill out some form.

i can just ignore the form and not sell anything right?

SSPssp

when i go to the steam market it gives me the notification that i've made 155 listings and that for me to make 200 or more, i need to fill out some form.

i can just ignore the form and not sell anything right?

Yeah, you can sell up to 200 and then they stop you from selling more. But yeah, you don't have to fill out the form if you don't sell more than 200.

Edit: You won't be in trouble or anything if you forget and try to sell something. The system won't let you.

repost

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 4 collector's bundle -- MB-3A009D16E8F53AB1 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 17 entrants total.

t1408221618z1.png

Yakkue

Just finished Whispering Willows, so here are some short impressions.
ICUkc46.png

Whispering Willows is a creepy adventure game. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a horror game, but it can definitely scare you here and there and generally has a spooky atmosphere. The artstyle is very well done and works together with the sound design to create a very unsettling feeling. Story and writing aren't anything special, but they aren't bad either.

You play as Elena and are on a mission to rescue your lost father. In order to progress you have to switch between normal-you and spirit-you and solve lots of (easy) puzzles. While you're basically always doing the same things, it doesn't feel too repetitive due to the short lenght of the game.

Even though I got lost twice, I somehow managed to 100% this game in under 3 hours, which wasn't even my intention (I just played / explored like normal). So if you're in the mood for a creepy experience that doesn't overstay its welcome, I can only recommend this game. The only really negative thing I could mention about it is the slow walking speed. You can run in certain areas of the game, and I would have liked to be able to do this whenever, but I guess this would have made the game even shorter..
lJYIU9W.png

Parsnip

Admittedly, I have not actually played Mirror of Fate.
Mirror of Fate is... alright.
Going in expecting a IGAvania is probably the worst mistake anyone could make because it's not that. Well, there's a hint of that there, but not much. It's LoS but in 2d plane, with some IGA dressing on top. I think I read somewhere that they also improved the control responsiveness for the HD version a bit, but it's still kind of clunky.
But I've spent 8€ on worse things, that's for sure.

But indeed, PC SoTN would be great. And releasing all those other IGAvania's from their handheld prisons would be most wonderful. Just put a little more effort to it than the XBLA SoTN and we are good. Come on Konami, print some money.

Well seeing as someone gave away a phone I'm not that surprised. I'm just waiting for the next barmy ModBotting. I do need to get a new freezer soon and don't think the old one will fit in the car and fucked if I'm paying for it to be environmentally disposed of. Hmmmm.
What, really? That's unusual.

But speaking of Castlevania, I should play LoS2. I have 16 games on my brand new NEXT category, and LoS2 is probably the top contender of those.

Dr Dogg

I'd certainly enjoy seeing a HD tune up of Symphony of the Night, to make it look as good as Harmony of Despair, but I'd just be happy seeing the original available on Steam really.

I still love SOTN and replay the game every once in a while. Its still fun to play and a definitive edition with all the content in one place would be nice. I still would love an HD remake, provided they maintain the art style. I think it would look great!

I've only played about 40mins to an hour of Harmony of Despair due to the mission structure and shift away from story driven gameplay but it's pretty much looked like slightly higher res assets from all the IGA Castlevania's. The engine had a bit of an overhaul too with 16:9 support and pretty much the whole level loaded in as you could zoom the camera right out. For me pixel art never really has a shelf life and SotN still has some of the best 2D animations I can recall. I think to appease a wide set of people, series fans and newcomers alike, having the original game untouched and some other rendering options or higher detailed sprites, maybe even some filters like CRT scanline replication and such could be a good combination. Just as long as it's nothing like that horrible bilinear scaling the XBLA version offered that destroyed the image quality something stupid.

What, really? That's unusual.

But speaking of Castlevania, I should play LoS2. I have 16 games on my brand new NEXT category, and LoS2 is probably the top contender of those.

Hahaha yeah it kind of came out of the left field around January. I think some Motorola phone or something. LoS2 appears to be running on the same engine the first came over to PC via CLIMAX. So that mean crazy downsampling is possible, 21:9 does work but crops the image, no SLI profile in Nvidia's drivers but you can use an comparability bits from the first and asides from flicker on the prerendered cutscenes work like a charm.

derExperte

Kind GAFers already trying to exploit the price mistake. Nice.

The only really negative thing I could mention about it is the slow walking speed. You can run in certain areas of the game, and I would have liked to be able to do this whenever, but I guess this would have made the game even shorter..
lJYIU9W.png

That's why they did it this way, the running was apparently patched in later after I was done but the dev talked about how the game would become too short when running everywhere. I agree that the slow walking speed was a problem as it didn't make me want to explore as much. Still did and got 100%, good game.

Grief.exe

To be honest, I really just want SOTN, and other IGAvanias for that matter, to be available on more platforms.

Wok

I'm surprised that so many here didn't already own Tropico 4, after it was given to every T5 buyer and many gave that away I thought it had hit peak saturation. Also it's damn good.

Was only slightly over $10 actually (cheaper in RU) and includes Space Hulk and JA1. A better mistake than T4 imo.

You cannot compare a $0.40 offer with a $10 one. The former totally fits the impulse buy (I have no plan of playing the game).

wilflare

anything I should look into in the settings of GameSave Manager?

EDIT - and sigh. what is Steam Cloud so hard to manage? (if only it's like those PS+ Cloud Saves where I can see what's on my PC and what's on the cloud)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Kind GAFers already trying to exploit the price mistake. Nice.
There was one GAFfer trying to sell it on the B/S/T thread for $5 30 minutes after the mistake started. In case you have forgotten, the 99% off sale lasted for 1 hour, so they were asking for over 10 times the amount they had paid for it WHILE the price mistake was still on.

Still, it's a free market. If someone wants to get a 1150% profit I guess it's OK, even if it is at the expense of other GAFfers. I don't like it, but then again I don't have to buy it either.

You cannot compare a $0.40 offer with a $10 one. The former totally fits the impulse buy (I have no plan of playing the game).
Indeed. I didn't mind spending $1.60 of my Wallet (aka cards) money on 4 copies of Tropico 4, which I'm never going to play. I wouldn't have wasted $10 Valvebucks on something I already knew I didn't want.

anything I should look into in the settings of GameSave Manager?

I almost forgot about getting GameSave Manager until I saw your post. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, anyone have extra copies of Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle? I want to get it just for the DLCs.

EDIT: Thank you Alien8!

Alien8

A couple leftovers, a Football Manager 'Lite' y a Macro-spreadsheet Baseball Manager...

ModBot said:
Instructions for Alien8:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Alien8, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

FX Football -- MB-FAE2E678763399A2 - Taken by Ruruja
Out of the Park Baseball 14 -- MB-73266A7E3FAE4324 - Taken by deejay

Dr Dogg

To be honest, I really just want SOTN, and other IGAvanias for that matter, to be available on more platforms.

Here's the thing, there's a thread right now going on about Sony and how they are weary of too many HD remakes. Now personally unless the package has a lot of value, like the PS3 HD Collections of 2 or 3 games at a budget price, or a pretty much built from the ground up remake the Resident Evil was for the Gamecube, I have a hard time justifying the price of new hardware to play an old game with minimal work done. Personally I'd prefer as much stuff as possible to come to PC, even more so in an ideal world Linux preferably (never going to happen but hey I can dream) not for selfish reasons because that's my preferred platform but in 20 years time you know that game will more than likely still exist in some form or another even if it's not available to purchase and even if compatibility with newer APIs and hardware configurations is a bit wonky that there will be enough resources out there to get it to work.

Grief.exe

Personally I'd prefer as much stuff as possible to come to PC, even more so in an ideal world Linux preferably (never going to happen but hey I can dream) not for selfish reasons because that's my preferred platform but in 20 years time you know that game will more than likely still exist in some form or another even if it's not available to purchase and even if compatibility with newer APIs and hardware configurations that there will be enough resources out there to get it to work.

That is actually why I am so passionate about getting PC ports, for game preservation purposes.
How am I supposed to play something like Jet Set Radio Future in 10 years? Original Xbox has no emulation, so hope I don't have a blown capacitor, pray that I don't have disc rot, and hope I have access to something with component inputs.

Thanks to Alien8 again. These are leftover from previous bundles, but hopefully they find a good home.

ModBot 2 said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

3 Stars of Destiny -- MB-0951F22490CF75BA - Taken by salazar547. 1 entrants total.
Influx -- MB-B1AE62B113272E34 - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
Aeon Command -- MB-D5C86EF161D900B2 - Taken by GaussTek. 1 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice -- MB-227D0393044B8C3F - Taken by gaiadyne. 5 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-20185E64F92323D4 - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-7B1F4E44AFF02CB1 - Taken by FauX. 1 entrants total.

t1408224980z1.png

Sendou

That is actually why I am so passionate about getting PC ports, for game preservation purposes.
How am I supposed to play something like Jet Set Radio Future in 10 years? Original Xbox has no emulation, so hope I don't have a blown capacitor, pray that I don't have disc rot, and hope I have access to something with component inputs.

Yeah this is a big part for me using Steam over other platforms.

Just imagine than in few years time we can have full handhelds that are in reality PC's running SteamOS inside them that will allow you to play older games and less taxing newer games. So when at that point you have 1000 or whatever game suitable for that platform you're all set when it comes to games instead of building up your library from ground up. I think there are many PC games that will get a new life when handheld Steam machines become a thing.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Desu I get, but what is the "moshi moshi" tag supposed to indicate. Japanese telephone answering sim?

It's Japan telling us "hello, look at our games on Steam."

Slightly unrelated, but this is the reason why I miss Rare being with Nintendo. Yeah, I miss Banjo Kazooie and Conker as much as the next guy, but when I was a kid, we didn't have that much money to spend on things like games, so the first console I ever played was an old NES, along with a fairly decent PC. Three of my favorite early childhood games were made by Rare before they partnered with Nintendo, those games being Pinbot, Cobra Triangle, and, yes, the infamous Battletoads. And none of those games will ever see a digital re-release now. Sure, you can emulate them, but it doesn't feel right :/

Yeah this is a big part for me using Steam over other platforms.

Just imagine than in few years time we can have full handhelds that are in reality PC's running SteamOS inside them that will allow you to play older games and less taxing newer games. So when at that point you have 1000 or whatever game suitable for that platform you're all set when it comes to games instead of building up your library from ground up. I think there are many PC games that will get a new life when handheld Steam machines become a thing.

My personal paradise.

Sendou

So what's the best game I could get from the following (that I don't own as marked by green)

I realize the two games costing 10€~ are great but they're still a bit on the expensive side for me :)

My personal paradise.

I think that's my most wanted gaming related hardware that isn't a thing yet but will be in near future. Even over stuff like Oculus Rift.

Dr Dogg

Ok the physics puzzle in Lords of Shadow 2 are bit of the annoying side. Well I say physics more like rigid hard coded animations. There's one that is like the chandelier jumping sequence from Devil May Cry 4 but instead of having the right weight and velocity calculated by the motion you impart to each chandelier is just starts swings at a set speed and distance to where you are placed on it. Lets just say I fell off a few times.

Christ I keep meaning to check my OG Xbox.

Some rereleases I can abide by like Resident Evil 4 earlier this year despite the earlier Source Next port due to that not being the best it could have been. Sure this latest port isn't the perfect port but there is a lot to work with and the HD Retextureing mod is coming along nicely and I'm sure the strong Resi mod community will add to the game in other ways over time. Emulation is great an all for keeping rare and obscure games in a playable fashion but some things require either specific hardware to work correctly, documentation to replicate specific architecture or a lot more computational power than presently available.

Okami is a good example. While you can play it at pretty accurately via PCSX2 if you try it use hardware rendering you lose all of the post effects which made that game really stand out, like the paper filter, the overlays when using the brush and some other shading effects on the screen. If you run it in software mode these are rendered correctly but need a massive amount of CPU power to achieve the right frametiming, which I'm not sure I even have now. Chances of getting a PC release to alleviate that are slim to none sadly but stranger things have happened.

So what's the best game I could get from the following (that I don't own as marked by green)

I realize the two games costing 10€~ are great but they're still a bit on the expensive side for me :)

get the exceed games , fun shoot em ups , if u just want to get one get exceed 3

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started Transistor and this is probably not a game for me. I try to avoid using the turn based system, but that's not working out. At the first boss I lost two of my powers and that keeps happening in the most recent encounters as well. I constantly get the feeling I'm playing the game wrong and I hate that. Maybe I'm using the wrong power combo's, I don't know.

Dr Dogg

Well despite a few early gripes Lords of Shadow 2 still has boss encounters that reward skill over mashing. That and some of the castle interior designs are crazy detailed.

So apparently Kalypso's servers are fried or something...getting no response to my registration e-mails. Blah. =(

Well despite Steamcharts not going all the way back to the games original release Tropico 4 has had it's most active concurrent users today. So I guess they are a little more busier than normal ;)

http://steamcharts.com/app/57690

Chariot

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is super fun, even if it a bit short.

Sendou

Started Transistor and this is probably not a game for me. I try to avoid using the turn based system, but that's not working out. At the first boss I lost two of my powers and that keeps happening in the most recent encounters as well. I constantly get the feeling I'm playing the game wrong and I hate that. Maybe I'm using the wrong power combo's, I don't know.

Worth noting that the combat differs wildly depending on the powers you use. That part of design is what I find so impressive about the game. That said it takes a while to gather enough powers to actually try out the most versatile builds. What you don't like about the combat currently? I don't think turn() as turn-based combat but rather stopping time to line up attacks afterwards. I can pretty confidently say you won't have fun time without using turn().

So apparently Kalypso's servers are fried or something...getting no response to my registration e-mails. Blah. =(

I'm probably going to wait for things to stabilize before doing anything.

Well despite Steamcharts not going all the way back to the games original release Tropico 4 has had today it's most active concurrent users today. So I guess they are a little more busier than normal ;)

http://steamcharts.com/app/57690

Nice. :O

Hugstable

Banned

I think that's my most wanted gaming related hardware that isn't a thing yet but will be in near future. Even over stuff like Oculus Rift.

The 3 eXceed games are on sale in a bundle for under 4$, all pretty fun Bullet Hell shooters, and all have cards!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15960/

3.39$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom