• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Worth noting that the combat differs wildly depending on the powers you use. That part of design is what I find so impressive about the game. That said it takes a while to gather enough powers to actually try out the most versatile builds. What you don't like about the combat currently? I don't think turn() as turn-based combat but rather stopping time to line up attacks afterwards. I can pretty confidently say you won't have fun time without using turn().

I don't like using the turn based system because, even though I can line up my attacks, I can't anticipate an attack. Against the first boss I kept getting pierced by her umbrella and I couldn't dodge because everything was in cooldown. The combat feels like it should be full action like Bastion, don't think I 'get' the turn system yet.

Like right now I got into a big fight with those camera enemies, and within seconds I already had an emergency turn.

GaussTek

Was selling a bunch of cards and realized I still have this on my inventory, please take it! :D

NVM, gifted the game to a friend. Also nuked it on modbot.

Sendou

The 3 eXceed games are on sale in a bundle for under 4$, all pretty fun Bullet Hell shooters, and all have cards!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15960/

3.39$

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is super fun, even if it a bit short.

Gunhound EX. It looks expensive but check out the

get the exceed games , fun shoot em ups , if u just want to get one get exceed 3

Thanks for recommendations! Probably getting Cherry Tree High Comedy Club and eXceed bundle.

I don't like using the turn based system because, even though I can line up my attacks, I can't anticipate an attack. Against the first boss I kept getting pierced by her umbrella and I couldn't dodge because everything was in cooldown. The combat feels like it should be full action like Bastion, don't think I 'get' the turn system yet.

Like right now I got into a big fight with those camera enemies, and within seconds I already had an emergency turn.

I'm having hard time visualizing your problem. One thing I didn't notice at first when playing the game is that every time you use turn() the game offers you an unique tip in the upper right corner. Unique meaning that they only show once so I'd recommend paying attention to them. Basic combat in Transistor consist of using turn(), running away when turn() recharges and then using turn() again. Jaunt() helps you get away from enemies. Later you can combine it with other powers making it ridiculously powerful at keeping enemies away.

You do know about backstab damage, right? That's pretty vital part of the game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You do know about backstab damage, right? That's pretty vital part of the game.

No I didn't... So I should always try to activate turn, then strike behind an enemy. Does it apply to all attacks or just selected? Can you recommend powers I should have active? Right now I'm using the long distance beam, the friend, the scatter shot/bomb and jaunt to dodge.

It's not like I got a game over or anything, but I hate when they deactivate powers. I'd rather just die and retry then tbh.

Sendou

No I didn't... So I should always try to activate turn, then strike behind an enemy.

Especially early game you want to get those backstabs in. With Breach() base is 100 and backstab 150. With Crash() base damage is 50 and backstab 75. Crash() also weakens enemies for further attacks in that combo. Here's a combat guide that seems pretty solid. Basically I think the functions are well balanced. You can have a strong character with just about each and every one of them. What you should do is use them all in different slots so they unlock story about the characters in the game's world.

It's not like I got a game over or anything, but I hate when they deactivate powers. I'd rather just die and retry then tbh.

Yeah it can be annoying. Although it also forces you to change your tactics on fly and that I did enjoy.

Uzzy

That is actually why I am so passionate about getting PC ports, for game preservation purposes.
How am I supposed to play something like Jet Set Radio Future in 10 years? Original Xbox has no emulation, so hope I don't have a blown capacitor, pray that I don't have disc rot, and hope I have access to something with component inputs.

Precisely. Games are a big part of our cultural history, and if people 10, 20, even 50 years in the future can't see and experience those games, then we'll just lose huge chunks of history. It's a depressing thought, but it's one big reason I'm glad whenever a game comes to PC, knowing that somehow that game will be preserved basically forever.

I just noticed, i'm slowly killing the backlog this week. I beat Card City Nights, Hotline Miami, Octodad, and the first Frederic game. Hopefully gonna finish off Freedom Planet over the next day or two, if i can learn to tear away from CS:GO.

Grief.exe

So apparently Kalypso's servers are fried or something...getting no response to my registration e-mails. Blah. =(

Trying to sign up for Tropico 4? Don't even bother.

"Also, for those that wondered about the Kalypso launcher for Tropico among other games recently, you can just add 127.0.0.1 launcher01.kalypsomedia.com to your hosts file and it'll think you're offline and skip the whole account stuff"

That is actually why I am so passionate about getting PC ports, for game preservation purposes.
How am I supposed to play something like Jet Set Radio Future in 10 years? Original Xbox has no emulation, so hope I don't have a blown capacitor, pray that I don't have disc rot, and hope I have access to something with component inputs.

Why has JSR been ported to so many platforms yet nothings been done with JSRF anyways? Sega published it and I'm pretty sure there's nothing tied with MS to keep it from being released on other platforms. I've been really curious about this, but hey it's Sega :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Thanks. I did figure out that terrorists and counter-terrorists had different guns. I guess it means that there's a gun in the other team that's the same as the other teams guns?
Roughly equivalent, but not the same. The AK is roughly equivalent to the M4, but the AK does more damage and you can get a silenced version of the M4, IIRC. They also have different firing patterns.

Many questions :p But I blame Valve for not including a tutorial in the game (at least I haven't found one). I went from the excellent tutorial in Team Fortress 2 to this game. It almost feels like it's not made by the same company.
There totally is a tutorial where you go through a training course with wooden targets and they teach you about headshots and such. I just don't remember where it is in the menus.

I hope he does that too. Open a Steam account now, fill it up with $1 bundles
and price mistakes
and gift it to him/her in 10 years.
Screw a college fund, set up a college Steam account!

No mention of Jet Set Radio Future.
UTXa6Qo.gif

Sendou

No mention of Jet Set Radio Future.
UTXa6Qo.gif

I think the point with that petition was to try and start with games that have more chance to being ported. Start from the top so to speak.

Of course talking about Sega we can't forget Atlus now so we could add Persona series, SMT, Catherine and many others to this list :p I wish Sega would show some signs though.

haii guys! how is everyone? Just got on my computer now. I've been playing Danganronpa on the vita for most of the day and then I caught up on SAO2(jesus that show is so slow paced). Think I'm going to finally cave and buy Counter Strike, what do you guys think? Do you guys still do game nights for that game?

fenners

Can't use two copies of this, so time to share the love. It's a straightforward snooker simulator. Not as glitzy as that Pool Nation, but still fun.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

International Snooker -- MB-DF3E082E947A9ACF - Taken by factorone. 4 entrants total.

t1408240939z1.png

Yeah, Comiket starts now hence the news but the sale was there for nearly a week. Also not even a clickable link on that news piece.

It seems like Steam has lost the ability to highlight all of the sales that are going on.

Right now, as far as I can tell, these are the current sales on Steam:
  • Just released sales
  • Pre-purchase sales
  • Weekly sales
  • Weekend sales
  • Kalypso Event weekend sale
  • Free weekends
  • A handful of new update/new OS game sales (Marvel Heroes, GalCiv3, Witcher 2, Game Dev Tycoon, etc.)
  • Doujin game sale event
  • Are there more? Who knows!
  • Total Number of Sales: too many to list
Steam's "specials" tab account for 100 entries, including DLC, which means it is always maxed out nowadays and is no longer a reliable way to find everything currently on sale. (Especially since scrolling that list sucks.)

Steam's store update is going to have to work miracles to fix this visibility problem. It will be tough to do because - to me, at least - Steam's layout has always seemed like the best digital storefront layout for displaying sales. Only GOG's layout comes close, however their sales are very tame in comparison so it's rarely an issue for them to begin with.

haii guys! how is everyone? Just got on my computer now. I've been playing Danganronpa on the vita for most of the day and then I caught up on SAO2(jesus that show is so slow paced). Think I'm going to finally cave and buy Counter Strike, what do you guys think? Do you guys still do game nights for that game?
These guys play competitive a lot, I unfortunately do not right now because my headset only has one working speaker. I think I'm also many ranks higher than most of the GAF players on the server so it complicates things.
There is no such thing. >:)
Haha. When's the next get together?

These guys play competitive a lot, I unfortunately do not right now because my headset only has one working speaker. I think I'm also many ranks higher than most of the GAF players on the server so it complicates things.

Haha. When's the next get together?

oh noez, I don't even have a headset. D:

dot

Yeah, i think we had CSGO game night yesterday. I joined kinda late though so there was only like 4 of us in there.

I've never played CS:GO competitive. What is the best way of starting?

Not starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom