• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Finally saw a PS4 at my local store..heh

iMvff3IEUV4yP.JPG

Played through a couple of short games these past few days. The first was Depression Quest which is a ~45 minute visual novel about the life of someone who is depressed. You have to make choices on how he deals with day to day situations (like whether he should go to a party his girlfriend invited him to or flake out). Over the course of the game your choices add up and apparently lead to multiple endings where the person can either end up on the path to recovery or become suicidal. I didn't bother to play through it a second time to check. I honestly don't think there's a lot of value to the experience other than recognizing that depression isn't something that follows 'bad' or traumatic events, but can manifest even in normal circumstances if you don't do anything to change the things you don't like in your life.

The other game I played was Jazzpunk which I won in a modbot giveaway by the_firewithin. It was a pretty short game (about 4-5 levels and ~2 hours) but it's absolutely packed with jokes and pop culture references. Not all of them work but enough do to keep you entertained for the entire duration. It's an adventure game but the puzzles are really easy and the critical path is extremely short. The idea is to just relax and explore the levels to see all the funny stuff the developers put in. They also nailed the comedy cold war atmosphere pretty well. Definitely worth checking out in a sale.

Dr Dogg

Tier 3 countries... am cry

Edit - Get a DS4 the touchpad is perfect for switching profiles (button configurations) with DS4Windows

The durability issues of the DS4 still aren't fixed so if you want something you can rely on, get the X1 pad which I would say is on par anyway (maybe not the bumpers but I have less problems with them than others).

I care naught for Xbone, only its controller, it seems like the x360's sticks have grown less sensitive after 4 years of service, but it can still hold while longer.

I'm leaving for NY in a some minutes, perhaps I'll find cheap Xbone controllers there(?)

The imported model of both the PS4 and Xbox One is actually cheaper than the MSRP here. not sure if that is normal. sadly there is only 1 shop that i know of that imports these consoles and the imported models are always sold out because they are a lot cheaper

I like the touchpad of the DS4 sometimes but I have had issues with the plastic on the sticks and the button prompts in games are usually Xbox oriented. The Xbox One pad is nice but you can't run it wirelessly which means I still usually still use my 360 pad when playing PC games (and not using m/kb).

Right I've got it I'll just get both! Actually I'm probably going to get a Mayflash dongle so I can connect a WiiU Controller up as that would be the most cost effective solution, though they jump up a little in price when I went to have a look so might import one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Been accumulating some idle card money, and what I haven't spent on emoticons I think I'm going to try to spend on games that never go on sale. My two prime targets are Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock ($8.99 at release, $9.99 the next week, no sales ever--and it's licensed so presumably could be yanked at any given moment... not significantly cheaper in Russia or Brazil) and Secret of Monkey Island SE ($9.99 at release, has been as low as $2.49, but hasn't gone on sale in a year. $5.50 or so in Brazil but no discount in Russia. LOL Disney LOL).

After that, though, I'm a little stumped. Darkest of Days never goes on sale anymore but I own it. Not a whole lot of stuff comes to mind in terms of sale absences. I noticed Samurai Gunn didn't take part in the summer sale, but I have to imagine that was a temporary experiment because it's still actively administered and stuff, it's not like the dev or publisher no longer exists.

aku:jiki

Puppygames (Rev of the Titans, Droid Assault, Titan Attacks and Ultratron) isn't doing all too well these days: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1542 http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/18/puppygames-battledroid-basingstoke/ With only cash for four more months they're now doing a smaller game to fund the bigger one. Hope they succeed, I liked almost everything they've done so far.
I don't even have to read that to know that the answer to their problem is to not spend 60 years making some kind of F2P online pokemon war simulator that no one wants to play. Sad to hear it, but come on, that decision was obviously terrible. Their business model should've absolutely been to keep pumping out great little action games for another few years, and not try to jump directly to an ambitious multi-year project.

And after reading, they still don't get that the problem is Battledroids itself... These guys are going down even if Basingstoke saves them for now.

Hugstable

Banned
Puppygames (Rev of the Titans, Droid Assault, Titan Attacks and Ultratron) isn't doing all too well these days: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1542 http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/18/puppygames-battledroid-basingstoke/ With only cash for four more months they're now doing a smaller game to fund the bigger one. Hope they succeed, I liked almost everything they've done so far.

Awww that really sucks to hear, I really enjoyed the hell out of both Revenge of the Titans and Titan Attacks! They should do a kickstarter, I'm sure that there has to be fans of their games. Hell I know I would do it, I had alot of fun and got into Revenge of the Titans back when the Steam Winter Sale in 2012 had a fun achievement to try and get in the game.

I don't even have to read that to know that the answer to their problem is to not spend 60 years making some kind of F2P online pokemon war simulator that no one wants to play. Sad to hear it, but come on, that decision was obviously terrible. Their business model should've absolutely been to keep pumping out great little action games for another few years, and not try to jump directly to an ambitious multi-year project.

And after reading, they still don't get that the problem is Battledroids itself... These guys are going down even if Basingstoke saves them for now.

They should've just stuck to doing what they know, I loved the tower defense gameplay of Revenge of the Titans so much, I didn't know they started trying to go the F2P route :(

Tizoc

New Humble Bundle this week right?
Wish there'd be a Konami bundle...can't believe many of their games aren't available for non US regions...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Awww that really sucks to hear, I really enjoyed the hell out of both Revenge of the Titans and Titan Attacks! They should do a kickstarter, I'm sure that there has to be fans of their games. Hell I know I would do it, I had alot of fun and got into Revenge of the Titans back when the Steam Winter Sale in 2012 had a fun achievement to try and get in the game.

They don't want to do a Kickstarter because of concerns about the UK administrative process, VAT, and that they don't think they'd make the goal they'd need to set to get enough to release the game. They also only have 4 months of cash left, so a 1 month kickstarter + a few weeks of prep time puts them dangerously close to their death date if it doesn't work.

I like all their games but they're definitely the kind of smaller scope that you'd associate with a pre-Steam Indie shareware game. The level of competition is much higher right now, and the money spread thinner, to the point that I'm sure some devs won't be sustainable anymore. It's sad but I see no way to change it that doesn't hurt other devs in the process (IE I could buy fewer games at higher prices--and this might benefit Puppygames if they were one that made the cut... but if they didn't make the cut, it'd hurt them even more, and even if they did make the cut, some devs wouldn't and it'd hurt those devs). I already spend the amount of money I'm able to spend on games, there's no more blood to squeeze from the rock.

Tizoc

Well Jase'll be pleased. With Shadows of Mordor getting a Season Pass, that'll mean he could have 2 entries for the game with the GotY edition :V

Turfster

After that, though, I'm a little stumped. Darkest of Days never goes on sale anymore but I own it. Not a whole lot of stuff comes to mind in terms of sale absences.
Sin Episodes: Emergence didn't get discounted during the summer sale.

Also:
"Oh, 2 items in inventory!" "Oh, coupons."

derExperte

They should've just stuck to doing what they know, I loved the tower defense gameplay of Revenge of the Titans so much, I didn't know they started trying to go the F2P route :(

They talk about Kickstarter in the blog entry, may still happen but there are a lot of issues with doing that. And it doesn't sound like Battledroid will be (or would've been....) one of the dreaded p2w f2p games. At least that's what they're promising. Also something about internet trolls: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574

StAidan

Man, that's a brutally honest and straightforward blog entry. I like their games, so I hope they manage to find a way to keep going. This stopgap project looks pretty good based on the little info they provided. I'd be happy to pick it up in October if it's as fun as their other games.

Arthea

Been accumulating some idle card money, and what I haven't spent on emoticons I think I'm going to try to spend on games that never go on sale. My two prime targets are Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock ($8.99 at release, $9.99 the next week, no sales ever--and it's licensed so presumably could be yanked at any given moment... not significantly cheaper in Russia or Brazil) and Secret of Monkey Island SE ($9.99 at release, has been as low as $2.49, but hasn't gone on sale in a year. $5.50 or so in Brazil but no discount in Russia. LOL Disney LOL).

After that, though, I'm a little stumped. Darkest of Days never goes on sale anymore but I own it. Not a whole lot of stuff comes to mind in terms of sale absences. I noticed Samurai Gunn didn't take part in the summer sale, but I have to imagine that was a temporary experiment because it's still actively administered and stuff, it's not like the dev or publisher no longer exists.

don't forget Lumines! unless you have it.
I'm still waiting for it to go on sale, as I want advance pack without paying 15€ for both. It just seems wrong to me, as I would be double dipping.

ya, I like their games I tried too, it's a pity

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry by that I meant that there may be a GotY edition for the game ^^; Forgot to add that to my initial post.

I doubt it'll be a separate entry. That was the case with the earlier Arkham games because GFWL handled DLC by forcing users to download it from the GFWL Marketplace, whereas with Steamworks games this isn't an issue.

Arthea

gamersgate is having summer sale... reloaded?
interesting approach and they have to have it when my loyalty discount ended, of course (><)

Turfster

A couple of gamersgate deals:
  • Europa Universalis Franchise up to 80% off
  • 2K Bundle 3-4-5 games for 15£-18£-20£
  • Nordic Games 75% off for 48 hours

Remember, as usually with gamersgate: check DRM before buying

Parsnip

Played through Arkham Oranges Cold Cold Heart the other day.
It doesn't really do much with itself. The heat suit and its associated gadget changes don't change the gameplay in a meaningful way (instead of electric hulk gloves you have heated hulk gloves, radical). And the rest is just more Oranges, mostly uninspired, formulaic and boring.
There's one change I appreciated though, you hold the A button to break through ice walls with the heat suit. Really, I've been harping on the 'mash A to rip off went cover mechanic' since Asylum, and I'm happy that WB Montreal decided to not repeat that awful thing for charging the heat (and in the main game, electric) gloves.

And nothing can really top the mr freeze boss fight from Arkham City.

Arthea

A couple of gamersgate deals:
  • Europa Universalis Franchise up to 80% off
  • 2K Bundle 3-4-5 games for 15£-18£-20£
  • Nordic Games 75% off for 48 hours

Remember, as usually with gamersgate: check DRM before buying

needs to be added that Europa Universalis IV Digital Extreme Edition has -66% discount,
which I'm not buying, because I'm still mad about me buying vanilla and what happened after.

Gangxxter

Finally decided to use Idle_Master now, let's see how much money I can make from the cards I'm not interested in.
At first I was a little bit skeptical, if this program is really safe to use. But since everybody is using it and there has been no problems with Valve so far I guess it's really safe to use.

PayaV87

Do you know about this?

Ui0eKSu.png

"Hide this game in my library."

So new its not translated to my language. :D

300+ games, I love this feature. :D
(Multiple categories also!)

Dr Dogg

Fancy buying my backgrounds and emoticons? Nobody wants them :(

I've been looking through my wishlist as well and the only ones that have caught my eye are Darkest of Days due to the publisher/IP holder working in a completely different field and I doubt that they're fussed about the trickle of income from Steam anyway to ever do another sale. Though what I'm really tempted by are the couple of Lucas Arts Lego games that never go on sale on Steam anymore, ie Star Wars Complete Saga, III The Clone Wars and Indy 1 & 2. While they have been discounted on other digital store fronts and even Origin most recently they haven't had a Steam discount in quite a while. They're the only ones I have left to complete the whole Lego collection on Steam. Besides the odd collecting digital games habit I quite like the games themselves and are great when having to entertain family members young and old a like with the drop in drop out local coop. I might hold off until the next round of sales and if they don't get a discount I'll just bite the bullet ten (and watch them go on sale the very next week).

Tizoc

Holy Crap it's been out since 2008?!?! My mind has officially been blown for today.

Wanna know what else is on Steam? Rocket Knight.

I doubt it'll be a separate entry. That was the case with the earlier Arkham games because GFWL handled DLC by forcing users to download it from the GFWL Marketplace, whereas with Steamworks games this isn't an issue.

Tsk, but certain games do let you have 2 entries for their Base Game and their GoTY edition right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fancy buying my backgrounds and emoticons? Nobody wants them :(

I'll take any emotes or backgrounds for free if this is a neurotic "please let me empty my inventory" compulsion. But I'm pretty choosy about what I buy, normally only totally awesome stuff.

I've been looking through my wishlist as well and the only ones that have caught my eye are Darkest of Days due to the publisher/IP holder working in a completely different field and I doubt that they're fussed about the trickle of income from Steam anyway to ever do another sale.

Yeah, unfortunately the publisher just does gambling software now. The dev has repeatedly asked the publisher to discount the game on Steam but no dice. I would not expect another sale ever; you have to imagine that as a 50-MC rated z-tier first person shooter, they'll be lucky to get 1000 sales during a major sale event, so it's not like the $7000 in revenue that'd bring in at 50% off is really anything of substance for the publisher.

Though what I'm really tempted by are the couple of Lucas Arts Lego games that never go on sale on Steam anymore, ie Star Wars Complete Saga, III The clone Wars and Indy 1 & 2. While they have been discounted on other digital store fronts and even Origin most recently they haven't had a Steam discount in quite a while. They're the only ones I have left to complete the whole Lego collection on Steam. Besides the odd collecting digital games habit I quite like the games themselves and are great when having to entertain family members young and old a like with the drop in drop out local coop. I might hold off until the next round of sales and if they don't get a discount I'll just bite the bullet ten (and watch them go on sale the very next week).

That's a bummer to hear. I've been selling tons of my 360 games including most of my LEGO collection with the intent to rebuy on Steam later. Hmm.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's a bummer to hear. I've been selling tons of my 360 games including most of my LEGO collection with the intent to rebuy on Steam later. Hmm.

Lego Star Wars 3 aside, they're quite cheap in Russia, for what it's worth (US price versus RUB -> USD converted price):

Lego Indy: $19.99/$8.30
Lego Indy 2: As above
Lego Star Wars Saga: As above
Lego Star Wars 3: $19.99/$12.49

Snap them up during the Winter Sale if Disney ignores them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom