• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Also I know this isn't a popular opinion, but do that many people really like Hotline Miami's soundtrack? I enjoy the gameplay but unless I play my own music I can't stand playing for more than 10 minutes.
I don't like MOON at all, but Perturbator and Scattle are fantastic. "A new morning" and "Miami" are also awesome songs.

(on my phone, so I can't link them)

Zeliard

Also I know this isn't a popular opinion, but do that many people really like Hotline Miami's soundtrack? I enjoy the gameplay but unless I play my own music I can't stand playing for more than 10 minutes.

I've actually, in all honesty, never once seen this opinion expressed about the game in the various impressions I've seen since its release. So that's new. I think the soundtrack and gameplay are symbiotic.

I wonder if my mom would enjoy Kerbel. She was an aerospace engineer and worked in the industry for many years.
To my knowledge, she has never played video games. Think she would have fun?
Enjoy? She would freaking LOVE it I say!
Since she is an engineer, give her Spacechem, CivV, anything a bit more complicated I'd say. Nothing twitchy. And record/stream it for memory sake :)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Volt -- MB-8F75CD9D5E8E6F61 - Taken by freshVeggie
Garshasp The Monster Slayer -- MB-E3F40EAF8E4308C8 - Taken by Saty
It's an indie God of War clone. Is it good? No. But then again, neither is God of War.
Kingdom Tales -- MB-8376D79E93AD4E96 - Taken by Kifimbo

Jawmuncher

I've actually, in all honesty, never once seen this opinion expressed about the game in the various impressions I've seen since its release. So that's new. I think the soundtrack and gameplay are symbiotic.

I can't imagine HM without the music to go with it. That was a big part as to why I loved the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone have a list of soon removed games from the store/game that never goes on sale?

As far as the former is concerned, there's this, but it's just (handy) speculation -- there's no saying for certain when or even if the content listed will be pulled.

AHA-Lambda

92? WHAT?

285.gif

Beelzebubs

you only get cards for those if you spend money I believe

There are some free to play games which drop cards though even without in game purchases. Saw the following f2p games drop cards on Reddit this morning. Already idling them :p Thank you based jshackles.

War of the Roses (3 drops)
Magicka: Wizard Wars (3 drops)
Defiance (4 drops)
No More Room in Hell (4 drops)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2dv4ur/free_steam_trading_cards_from_f2p_games_14_drops/

aku:jiki

Yo, who just hid behind ModBot to diss God of War? Reveal yourself, coward!

And speaking of Garshasp, the fucking thing doesn't run with modern versions of PhysX and you have to go through the hassle of uninstalling, finding the right older version and all this shit to play a game that's supposedly 45 crappy minutes long.

Tizoc

Yo Ghostlight, is the action game you are releasing, this game by any chance? It is Japanese developed! IT'S OK IF US DOESN'T GET THIS GAME!
456714-mwc_wp1_1024.jpg

Eternia

Puppygames (Rev of the Titans, Droid Assault, Titan Attacks and Ultratron) isn't doing all too well these days: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1542 http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/18/puppygames-battledroid-basingstoke/ With only cash for four more months they're now doing a smaller game to fund the bigger one. Hope they succeed, I liked almost everything they've done so far.
Awww, that's real shame. I really liked their output so far. It's unfortunately they strayed away from what made them successful.

...time for a Humble re-bundle? (Even though their weekly bundle didn't do that well)

Milamber

Yo Ghostlight, is the action game you are releasing, this game by any chance? It is Japanese developed! IT'S OK IF US DOESN'T GET THIS GAME!
456714-mwc_wp1_1024.jpg

swlxza.gif

I seriously thought it was on steam for a sec. Ah well, the controls for that game weren't so good anyway.

Some impressions for 3 Stars of Destiny:

The story: You play a young man who almost immediately starts up a love-hate relationship with an elf girl who he catches bathing (complete with bikini sprite! Fanservice?) Together they win a trial to join an elite academy, then decide to ditch travelling there, because I don't know. The dialogue is so amateurish and riddled with spelling errors, I would have suggested the writer passed it to a classmate to check the work first. You also get saddled with a fire elemental who's written to sound somewhere between Jar-Jar Binks and Pikachu. I'd recommend killing it with fire, but somehow I doubt it would work.

The graphics: A combination of stock RPGmaker and bad Deviantart. Lots of objects have identical sprites, which can get confusing when you want to eat an apple that gives you 15HP, and end up eating an apple that increases HP by 1 permanently. Some "secret areas" are more obvious than others. It's fair to check out a tree with a hole in it as a secret area. A regular four-square island where nothing appears unusual? Not so much.

The sound: A few cool tunes here and there.

The gameplay: On the plus side, it's an old-school JRPG feel. Dungeons are long and you don't get to save anywhere you like - you use stationary bunnies as save points. Would have been nicer if there was a quicksave that lets you quit right away instead of looking for a bunny to quit, but oh well. Also on the plus side is that you can set the difficulty AND encounter rate. There are lots of equipment choices so you can create different builds for your characters. You can also get different types of elemental weapons. Only thing is you have to start doing trial and error to figure out what they're good against and what they're not. The game doesn't tell you, and there's no indication of whether it's super effective or not that effective apart from numbers.

I played it for about seven hours. I did a lot of accidental grinding in the previous area to find some quest items in a huge swamp. I get to the next area, and the first random encounter I get - one wolf - completely demolished my four-person party in two rounds. I am not ashamed to say I rage quit, because either that wolf was bugged, or the developers have no idea how to balance a game. No matter which it is, that's a pretty egregious error. I'm not sure if I'll return to this game.

The verdict: This game gets 3 Stars of Destiny...out of

Tizoc

But in Ys...you visit only one city?
I mean, the game is pretty limited, all the dungeons are just nearby the city or inside other dungeon, I thought this was like Final Fantasy (travel among the world, a lot of cities etc).
Are other games of the series like Felgana?

Keep in mind Felghana is based on Ys 3 and what you see on the map is all you're gonna explore, but it manages to offer a kickass 10 hour gaming experience.

Only other ys game I played so far is Ys Seven and that one did have multiple towns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom