• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was really fun streaming, glad some people dug Crypt Of The Necrodancer. Finally beat Zone 1 which is awesome. Hopefully i should start streaming more, and maybe next time my mic will be working. Unless people prefer just game audio. I am a man of the people.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
That was really fun streaming, glad some people dug Crypt Of The Necrodancer. Finally beat Zone 1 which is awesome. Hopefully i should start streaming more, and maybe next time my mic will be working. Unless people prefer just game audio. I am a man of the people.

yeah - it would be nice if you used a mic :) but that's just my opinion ;)

wilflare

what happened to Nabs? he's not banned right?

lol and where is that GAF member getting all those copies of Nights and Hell Yeah?!

---
just woke up. sigh timezones.. and I need to go off to help at a bakery

Ryne

Seen some posts about this game, so hopefully someone enjoys this:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lovely Planet -- MB-854F555B02F563EC - Taken by 73V3N. 17 entrants total.

t1407027333z1.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Thief Gold -- MB-18D7F4F39807FEC2 - Taken by bronson
Muffin Knight -- MB-CA32255F410BA835 - Taken by EzioCroft
I Am Vegend - Zombiegeddon -- MB-011F4A50C1F54F4A - Taken by Ventara
Iron Grip: Warlord: Scorched Earth DLC -- MB-19B630117C6CED64 - Taken by bluechox2

Just tried the new watchdogs patch cant believe they finally fixed the stutter on high textures, the game should have shipped this way.

Ventara

The new artwork for Dysfunctional Systems is looking great. Sure has come a long way.

http://e3.kickstarter.com/wf/click?...ElJFYCpL-2B5dDi7VQ3UKBabTeDHLUvA2dvKG5g-3D-3D

Not bad. I like the top left design best.
Is she supposed to be naked under the sweater?

Wetflame and FreshVeggie need to claim their prizes.

You need to tell us who won Bad Rats. Edit: Evil breeds evil.

Not sure if already posted since it's relatively old, Terraria is getting a Linux port.

There's fishing in Terraria?! Wtf? I played 40 hours of this and did not know that. I just jumped in and killed the fishes with my sword.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyways, I just saw that Eidolon is out. I recall some Gaffers talking about it. Any impressions from people here yet?

Has anyone played Eidolon yet? It looks like something I'd enjoy but $15 seems a bit steep (also it's weird that it's exactly $15 and not $14.99).

As Haunted said, we are talking about it in the Indie thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866375

My overall gameplay impressions:
Technical issues aside, this is probably among the best and most unique overall experiences I've played this year. Its certainly not for everyone though, and I'll need to play more to really be able to judge how its ranking among some other games I've played this year because its a really, really slow burner. Eidolon is an exploration game with some survival elements in a surprisingly large environment. There are a lot of things to like about the game, as the fantastic ambient sound, the story and minimalistic graphics, the beautiful and diverse night/day locations and mood it creates with weather conditions, the light survival elements which add to the immersion of "being" in the world, while 95% of the time spending just walking around. This creates the issue of the player potentially being easily lost in this huge world, if you need directions or are in a hurry to play, you will not appreciate this game at all. Surprisingly, this is also among its biggest strengths, as that vast wilderness and lack of direction makes you learn to read the surroundings like no other game lately. You get a rudimentary map and a compass (amongst a few other surprises), which helps you navigating across the map once you figure out how to read the map, the approximate distances between certain spots and finding certain landmarks. Very smart design decisions, which all add up to making you to feel being "in" the environment. However, I am a bit wary of the long term perspectives, you really mostly only walk and walking from one end of the map to the other can easily take 20-30 minutes. If the game doesnt change anything this might get old eventually, but even then the game never ceases to put me in awe if I stop a second and look around me. Original and great mood, basically what I wanted Proteus to be <3

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Double

There's fishing in Terraria?! Wtf? I played 40 hours of this and did not know that. I just jumped in and killed the fishes with my sword.
I played 153 hours and wasn't even sure if that's a screenshot of a to be released sequel or another big update, let alone the fishing lol.

Ok good night now for reals.

StAidan

Does anyone know if I`ll be able to stream to my laptop that has integrated graphics? Does it affect performance by much?

Late reply, but since no one else answered: It depends on your integrated graphics. I believe anything in the 2nd-gen i-series (or later, obviously) Intel processors have built-in h.264 decoding, which should generally be sufficient for 1080p @ 60fps, assuming your network speed can support it.

I just purchased an Intel NUC box with a 4th-gen i3 proc, and it streams like a charm through my wired gigabit LAN. Before that I was using an old Core 2 laptop with 100mbps LAN, and it was fine for non-twitch games, but for anything with fast action it just wasn't enough.

Ventara

As Haunted said, we are talking about it in the Indie thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866375

My overall gameplay impressions:

Technical issues aside, this is probably among the best and most unique overall experiences I've played this year. Its certainly not for everyone though, and I'll need to play more to really be able to judge how its ranking among some other games I've played this year because its a really, really slow burner. Eidolon is an exploration game with some survival elements in a surprisingly large environment. There are a lot of things to like about the game, as the fantastic ambient sound, the story and minimalistic graphics, the beautiful and diverse night/day locations and mood it creates with weather conditions, the light survival elements which add to the immersion of "being" in the world, while 95% of the time spending just walking around. This creates the issue of the player potentially being easily lost in this huge world, if you need directions or are in a hurry to play, you will not appreciate this game at all. Surprisingly, this is also among its biggest strengths, as that vast wilderness and lack of direction makes you learn to read the surroundings like no other game lately. You get a rudimentary map and a compass (amongst a few other surprises), which helps you navigating across the map once you figure out how to read the map, the approximate distances between certain spots and finding certain landmarks. Very smart design decisions, which all add up to making you to feel being "in" the environment. However, I am a bit wary of the long term perspectives, you really mostly only walk and walking from one end of the map to the other can easily take 20-30 minutes. If the game doesnt change anything this might get old eventually, but even then the game never ceases to put me in awe if I stop a second and look around me. Original and great mood, basically what I wanted Proteus to be <3

My full review of Eidolon, bear in mind that I enjoy slower games like Dear Esther, Proteus, etc so that colors my thoughts somewhat.

Thanks for that, guys. I too enjoy slower paced games with exploration and an emphasis on atmosphere, so this game will definitely move up my wishlist. My backlog and cheap nature dictates that I must wait for a sale, but I'll definitely be picking this up sooner rather than later. Thanks again for the impressions!

Yeah, Cheesecake posted his review on steam.

And here some gifs.

Looks very good.

Dammit, too late. This is what happens when you take too much time gifing.

Nah, it's all good. The more good I hear of it the more inclined I am to pick it up. I'm easily influenced and buckle under peer pressure, too.

It was added in the latest update and also a new boss.

Ah, okay. I feel less ignorant now. I haven't played it for a while. Maybe I should pick it back up again. Then again, I started a new game on my Vita a while back. Does that have this update?

Anyways, I just saw that Eidolon is out. I recall some Gaffers talking about it. Any impressions from people here yet?
Recommended
17 hrs last two weeks / 17 hrs on record
[...]
Eidolon’s first move is to drop you directly into the game’s world without explaining itself. You are given no goal, no disembodied voice in an earpiece to guide you along a path towards an ending, and no objective marker. Hell, they don’t even give you a map to start with. A scooped out east-Washington valley stretches out in front of you as your red, well, green carpet welcome. For all of the pastel colors and cheery daytime design, Eidolon lets you know from the get go that it is not going to hold your hand in this massive playground. It’s easy to fall into a false sense of warmth and security after a few in-game days. The beautiful sunsets brush a delicate pinkish-orange tint across the trees. Foggy mornings give way to blue skies and occasional rain. The stars come out at night and leave you in awe of the light show. It’s quite jarring to come across the skeletal, wireframe remains of fallen skyscrapers juxtaposed over the lively brush like the violent designs of a Stephen O’Malley album cover.
[...]
If you liked this review, check it out at http://rgz.ca/gaming/eidolon-review-a-walk-in-the-woods-and-all-my-friends-are-dead/ as well and see my other reviews. Thanks!
And here some gifs.
Looks very good.

Jawmuncher

Terrarium didn't have achievements before? I bought it back when it was on sale ages ago and played it for 10 minutes. Thought it had some.

Ozium

Terrarium didn't have achievements before? I bought it back when it was on sale ages ago and played it for 10 minutes. Thought it had some.

not yet it doesn't.. It has cards tho.. I only idled it for cards I didnt want to get sucked into Terraria but achievments might help give me some direction... when it comes to open world aimless type stuff I get overwhelmed w/o an objective in mind (and I dont know terraria well enough to be able to set my own objective)

it has online co-op I believe... once there was a GAF server iirc

Grief.exe

Recommended
17 hrs last two weeks / 17 hrs on record
[...]
Eidolon’s first move is to drop you directly into the game’s world without explaining itself. You are given no goal, no disembodied voice in an earpiece to guide you along a path towards an ending, and no objective marker. Hell, they don’t even give you a map to start with. A scooped out east-Washington valley stretches out in front of you as your red, well, green carpet welcome. For all of the pastel colors and cheery daytime design, Eidolon lets you know from the get go that it is not going to hold your hand in this massive playground. It’s easy to fall into a false sense of warmth and security after a few in-game days. The beautiful sunsets brush a delicate pinkish-orange tint across the trees. Foggy mornings give way to blue skies and occasional rain. The stars come out at night and leave you in awe of the light show. It’s quite jarring to come across the skeletal, wireframe remains of fallen skyscrapers juxtaposed over the lively brush like the violent designs of a Stephen O’Malley album cover.
[...]
If you liked this review, check it out at http://rgz.ca/gaming/eidolon-review-...ends-are-dead/ as well and see my other reviews. Thanks!

And here some gifs.

Looks very good.

I just love that art style. Reminds me of Shelter which is a game I enjoyed for its striking visuals and unique gameplay.

What word would you use to describe this type of style?

Looks like something I will look into. Being a full release, as opposed to Early Access, is a nice plus. Shame no achievements and trading cards of course.

Not gonna lie, I had to look pejorative up.

I guess to some, but it helps me know if it's one of those games where you walk around exploring, which are games I like, so I personally don't think so.

Check out Betrayer if you haven't already.

Yrael

Anyone want this?

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Yrael, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

inMomentum -- MB-7D48E00267C55BB2 - Taken by Cth

tmarg

There have been several major post launch updates to Terraria, so depending on when you played last there could be a lot of new things in the game. I myself haven't played recently enough to know if or when fishing was added though.

I just love that art style. Reminds me of Shelter which is a game I enjoyed for its striking visuals and unique gameplay.
What word would you use to describe this type of style?
Looks like something I will look into. Being a full release, as opposed to Early Access, is a nice plus. Shame no achievements and trading cards of course.[...]
Yes! This minimalist aesthetic is simple, yet delivers visual pleasure aplenty.
I'd suggest you take a look at Unturned. Similar style, but more "grounded", traditional gameplay. Doesn't hurt it being very fair free to play either.

Does anyone know if I`ll be able to stream to my laptop that has integrated graphics? Does it affect performance by much?

No issues. My laptop has IG and no problem. What you're streaming FROM does all the heavy lifting. Streaming just takes place over your internet connection.

Seriously people, Murdered: Soul Suspect needs more love. I can't believe it only has 59 metacritic.o_O

It will get more love when it hits that sweet $5. 50% is pretty laughable when GMG had it for 75% a week or so ago

Jawmuncher

not yet it doesn't.. It has cards tho.. I only idled it for cards I didnt want to get sucked into Terraria but achievments might help give me some direction... when it comes to open world aimless type stuff I get overwhelmed w/o an objective in mind (and I dont know terraria well enough to be able to set my own objective)

it has online co-op I believe... once there was a GAF server iirc

See that funny. If I don't have a objective in a game I lose interest pretty quick.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
No issues. My laptop has IG and no problem. What you're streaming FROM does all the heavy lifting. Streaming just takes place over your internet connection.

It will get more love when it hits that sweet $5. 50% is pretty laughable when GMG had it for 75% a week or so ago

Cool, I might try it out sometime. Is the lag low enough to play FPSes?

zkylon

zkylewd
so uh

somehow i've already played 4 hours of tits

i think if the questing system goes too wild i might start skipping some of em like i did with xenoblade but dam if ps1 jrpgs weren't amazing

like holy shit i love this

Coldsun

Banned
Cleaning out some more old keys
ModBot said:
Instructions for Coldsun:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Coldsun, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Island: Epidemic #2 -- MB-11F6BD211D3FA0BB
Dead Island: Epidemic #1 -- MB-95FD1C39F5D7F6D0

t1407032793z1.png

Ventara

Check out Betrayer if you haven't already.

Yeah, I remember looking at that when speevy did a giveaway for it, but I forgot to add it to my wishlist. Doing it now and will pick up with a good sale.

There have been several major post launch updates to Terraria, so depending on when you played last there could be a lot of new things in the game. I myself haven't played recently enough to know if or when fishing was added though.

Yeah, I recall something about that, but they were all after I finished playing. Will definitely go back and play it some more once Achievements come out to experience all the new content.

I was hoping for a 75% discount on Steam, since it would have meant I could get it for 3 keys from some Russian. The game looks right up my alley, but I'm not gonna play it anytime soon with my backlog, so I play the waiting game, too.

See that funny. If I don't have a objective in a game I lose interest pretty quick.

I'm kinda similar when it comes to open-world games (unless they have nice exploration). Sometimes, I just make mini-goals for myself, like dig a tunnel through a mountain in Terraria. Doesn't really help though if I've already lost interest in the game.

so uh

somehow i've already played 4 hours of tits

i think if the questing system goes too wild i might start skipping some of em like i did with xenoblade but dam if ps1 jrpgs weren't amazing

like holy shit i love this

So you picked the game up? I thought you were in the wait-for-a-sale group. Couldn't resist the allure of some nice TitS, could you?
We're still doing tits jokes, right?

Anyways, if it affects your decision, just know that the save files carry over to the next game, so it might be a good idea to do as much as you can.

Relax.MX

In my new job I have to travel a lot, I practically live in hotels. I'm looking for a laptop for work and play occasionally. If i can play Dota 2 very well im happy. But unfortunately I have not enough money to buy a gaming laptop(and because my gaming money is for my next The Witcher 3 PC)

I can get this machine:

14´
Intel (R) HD Graphics 4400
RAM: 6 GB
Intel Core I5 4200U

Will be enough?

tmarg

In my new job I have to travel a lot, I practically live in hotels. I'm looking for a laptop for work and play occasionally. If i can play Dota 2 very well im happy. But unfortunately I have not enough money to buy a gaming laptop(and because my gaming money is for my next The Witcher 3 PC)

I can get this machine:

14´
Intel Core I5 4200U

Will be enough?

If you want to game on it, you really should get a discrete graphics card.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Ozium

I can get this machine:

14´
Intel Core I5 4200U

Will be enough?

depend on what you play, should be decent enough for most things, tf2/dota/csgo etc would run fine... some unreal games will probably be in lower settings and it's up to each games optimization of course..,

edit: I would never buy a gaming laptop... for a laptop I'd get something like you would get that gun run most things (except newer AAA games) and save the gaming machine for a desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom