• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Here is what I wrote in an earlier thread:

I knew what I was getting into with this game, but it's still really sad after Activision gutted High Moon. The new devs (Edge of Reality, Loadout) wisely use the gameplay framework from High Moon, but failed in pretty much every other department. It doesn't use the license well, the level design is just sad, the art direction is pathetic, and there are almost no worthwhile setpieces. War and Fall were really special games that I cherish my experiences with and they completely nailed all of those categories. The worst parts of Rise of the Dark Spark is definitely everything on earth. It doesn't tie into the movie at all other than character overlap and the visual direction required for an earth environment is clearly well beyond Edge of Reality's ability. At least on Cybertron they could crudely paste the High Moon assets together. There was one good level in the whole mess that was basically Descent with Transformers, but it was over far too quickly. I also had a bit of fun working on achievements in the horde mode, but it got old after a couple of hours.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this game even if you were madly in love with the Transformers franchise. I am filled with sadness knowing I will never get the finish to the Cybertron series that I deserve.

I'm planning on snapping up War and Fall by the end of the year. Unless Activision greenlights development on another Transformers game, there is a strong possibility they will drop the IP on January 1st.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Wake up this morning with an extra £3 in wallet funds, 12 more cards in the inventory thanks to Idle Masters, a long arse X05 post to save me reading the rest of the thread and a new episode of the Serious Stream to catch up on. This weekend is off to a great start already.
*tips top hat*
Glad to be of service.

should we create a new thread for x05
Just have him post all his recaps there.

Or have a "X05's 'X' thread recap thread" for each thread he wants to post in.
It could always be locked, like the ModBot thread, and only he would post in it. It would summarize all of SteamGaf, sort of like a greatest hits thread.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, or a terrible one.

Early%20Access_2014.7.29.11.18.22.png

Sentris will launch on Steam Early Access August 22: http://timbreinteractive.squarespace.com/sentris/
I saw the videos and still have no idea how the game actually plays. Still interested in it (puzzle+music is always a nice combo!)

RDR PC is going to happen eventually. Same with Dragon's Dogma PC.
Don't play with my heart like that :(

I recently started playing Final Fantasy 7, and WOW, this game is really good, aside from Pokémon and Paper Mario, this is my first real turn based JRPG and GODDAMN, it's fun, although playing at 1080p it's REALLY makes it obvious whenever the game is using video files for its pre-rendered backgrounds, like....REALLY REALLY obvious, I'm sure back in the day it was a seamless transition but now it's super obvious and weird, lol.

I'm only 9hrs into the game and I haven't even gotten the achievement for completing the first part of the game!

And yes I do realise I'm about 17 years late to the FF7 is good party :p
Good thing is that it's not even the best FF, and definitely the worst of the PS1 era.

XO5 lost it huh?
Lost what, exactly?

xouiax.png

well now I HAVE to stream it dont I?

Blackbay Asylum btw
That's a pretty loaded warning, seems like it's missing a "you know what, don't play this at all" :p

Uh, wow. I just unpacked my first CS:GO crate for shits and giggles as I remembered I had two keys sitting in my inventory:

It's worth $80.
W.O.W.
That's quite lucky man!
Of course you are going to waste it on Ubi crap :p

It's a long-term fan-made mod, so it's still a work-in-progress with no ETA for a finished build. Capcpom would never go through the effort to painstakingly recreate the game with such dedicated accuracy.

I mean look at this sexy typewriter and tablecloth:
That's looking damn fine indeed, guess after I get the game I'll have to hold off my replay of it until that releases.

in RE4 was I supposed to kill the
scorpion guy or just delay him until the elevator arrived
? Because
I delayed it and got the fuck out of there when the elevator arrived
:/
Be a man and kill it, it's not that difficult :p

You're supposed to take the rocket launcher from the previous area, freeze him with a canister, then shoot the rocket. One is all it takes.
Like this!

Then it's helpful again in the
El Gigante double fight, as using the lava pit will make it not drop money.
I bought the game several times but I only ever played up to that part on GC, shame that they changed it, but easy to see why.

New Steam thread Yay. I know I'm late...
Well, "late" in regards to post count only!

I think you might have a serious problem ;)
Nah, he does not :)

Do you not watch the awesome webms that myself or quiche post?
It's both. :p

http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Crypt Of The NecroDancer part 1.webm
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Crypt Of The NecroDancer part 2.webm

True... but you can bind the combo buttons to something else... and there's like 6 of those.
I have my controller set up to use d-pad for movement, and the the face buttons are any diagonals (up-left/up-right/down-left/down-right) and I put left-right on LB and up-down on RB.
Trying to press up and down at the same time seems... odd.
This game looks fucking amazing, guess I know what I'm buying next (even if it is Early Access which I try to avoid).

So intensive that an i7 3770K can't handle it? lol
Well, clearly you have something else wrong there, maybe a driver or another program is doing something it's not suppoused to.

Plus them making a blind guardian music video could've been money toward the game itself. I love the band but this is so...what's the word...hammy?
Blind Guardian is hammy by definition.

I still have good plans for improving Idle Master.
"every time improve idling IdleM@ster" ?

I have never heard of this game before: Nights into Dreams
what is this I don't even

Instead of looking for a certain string you could look for numbers using a regular expression.
And then he'd have 2 problems.

What is the best soccer game for PC? FIFA, PES, ...?
FIFA, although 14 is based on the old engine not the new one, so wait for 15 which will use it. Also none of the FIFA games are on Steam obviously, but mind that the "old" PES games get removed eventually when the new one is released so get it soon-ish if you want it.

I do wonder if Valve's attitude towards consoles will change. iirc both MS and Sony changed their policies, so no excuses now for abandoning those games. Or if you do, then don't bother releasing them there. Waste of everyone's time otherwise.
IIRC the problem is with the fact that game patches have to go through certification and some other stuff that Valve doesn't want to do, which is understandable given how frequently they patch and update their games. They probably thought at some point that they could skirt around that and MS/Sony said "lolno".

Serious Stream Wrap-Up
Brilliant, I'll watch the SS3 one later :)

Ah, I was worried for a second that you didn't have ES installed :p

My Bad Rats has been rejected.

I'm going to go eat ice cream and listen to break up songs.
D:
Don't worry, there are other ways to make the offer hard to reject...

Now all I can think of is a sleepy, beasty degutter Sansa Romulan with cold tits and afro armpits.

Since I love you guys, wanted to give a heads up to anyone who liked the Arkham games
%27Batman_Assault_on_Arkham%27_cover.jpeg

^THIS animated feature has nothing to do with the Batman Arkham games, BUT
it's freakin' awesome so def. give it a watch if you can!
Forgot that this is out! Haven't watched it yet but it's in canon with the Arkham games though, between Blackgate and Asylum IIRC.

It just baffles me how a company that is in Valve's position is so bad at the user interface and user experience in general. The mobile app on Android is beyond ugly and the desktop client isn't a looker either. It wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't slow as hell, too. Is there anyone at Valve that is responsible for it? Anyone one can talk to or send a mail to? It really doesn't have to be like this and I wish they'd actually care about their users.
Valve has no structure save for Gaben at the helm, so spam his email or something :p

I got the pussy the same day TiTs came out, so...
slowclap.gif

Bwahahaha holy shit!
Brilliant!
Also JaseC -> JohnC totally fits

depend on what you play, should be decent enough for most things, tf2/dota/csgo etc would run fine... some unreal games will probably be in lower settings and it's up to each games optimization of course..,

edit: I would never buy a gaming laptop... for a laptop I'd get something like you would get that gun run most things (except newer AAA games) and save the gaming machine for a desktop
To each it's own, I love being able to easily move my gaming rig in just a backpack :)

Ultrabook is never enough for gaming. And the fact that you can't upgrade your laptop would only make it worse.
True, unless you want to play old games.
Also upgrading laptops (even the ones that are somewhat upgradable) is not a particularly good idea.

I'm gonna go live soon!

Quick notes: I do have a much better mic hooked up, but if the levels are not good, just let me know in the chat, and i'll adjust before i get too deep into gaming.

Speaking of, i plan to at least do Cave Story since i've never played it, and Shovel Knight because i should beat it....and maybe Bad Rats. Maybe.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'm gonna go live soon!

Quick notes: I do have a much better mic hooked up, but if the levels are not good, just let me know in the chat, and i'll adjust before i get too deep into gaming.

Speaking of, i plan to at least do Cave Story since i've never played it, and Shovel Knight because i should beat it....and maybe Bad Rats. Maybe.

could you ... ummm ... up the quality a little bit? ;) also - this is how your stream looks like right now (that's you playing the game - not browsing steam):

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
UU8PSXG.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (nbnt, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Transistor #2 -- MB-4E95349B0489456B - Taken by hitmon. 103 entrants total.
Transistor Plus Soundtrack -- MB-DC9F17E888A368C3 - Taken by JustLynx. 88 entrants total.
Transistor -- MB-B1EBBE0701F48E12 - Taken by ashecitism. 109 entrants total.

t1407049774z1.png

Alright, i'm about to go into Shovel Knight, should be good to go from here, i hope. For some reason Cave Story and Coin Crypt won't play nice with Xsplit.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Finally beat Dark Souls 2. I took my sweet ass time (114 hours played in all) playing a bunch of classes.

Was fun as hell though.

Now to play Dark Souls 1... when it goes on sale ;)

FtHTiny

Bought Shovel Knight and TiTS because of new month and stuff.
Got really hooked on Shovel Knight and played six hours yesterday but i still would like to map the use of the relics on a shoulderbutton instead of Up+X.

rtcn63

i need your opinions. how worth is winning Transistor if it means i'm no longer eligible to potentially win D:OS?

Can't you just win Transistor, then give out another game (from humble or the sort) and qualify again? Don't see a no winners daily rule.

Nabs

Got really hooked on Shovel Knight and played six hours yesterday but i still would like to map the use of the relics on a shoulderbutton instead of Up+X.

You can change it from Up+X to a button in the menu.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

You can. They call it "button mode" or something.

Sarcasm

How the heck do you get DLH.net to switch to german? I tried the drop down menu and hit the button but nothing happens and it stays in English...

iosefe

Hehe, thanks guys. :)

OT talk about giveaways, hope it's ok to share here:
I won't be entering anymore giveaways because that Transistor giveaway is probably going to be my last until I get a job: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3913/14628109609_5f7631878d_o.jpg and I just ordered an Oculus Rift from ebay because Oculus won't send to "freight-forwarding" companies and that costed me a fortune. So I'm pretty broke right now. :p Thanks for everything, bros.

honestly, you've done way more than you ever needed to do. i'm sure that Oculus is worth it

Ventara

X05, I say this everytime, but I love you and your super posts! What's the most quotes you've ever done in a post?

He'll reply to you tomorrow in his daily massive post. Don't miss it!

And not one of the 372 were foils!

Damn, that's bad luck. And I thought I had a bad foil rate with my 2/140 so far.

i need your opinions. how worth is winning Transistor if it means i'm no longer eligible to potentially win D:OS?

I'm sorry, but you're not gonna win either.
;P

This is beautiful. I would totally hang this on my wall.
I was never a big fan of Bastion's gameplay, but I want to play Transistor just for its art.

Edit: OT:
I'm going to see the Grand Canyon on a chopper the day after tomorrow, can't wait!

ev0

Found a couple leftovers

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ev0, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

GTR Evolution -- MB-8A1DE3F9A7E55AF8 - Taken by Asharakk

ulgzbKC.png
Humble Indie Bundle #3 (Desura) -- MB-FF08651E7C9EAC38 - Taken by SSPssp

Rush for Glory - Competent tower defense game, if not an uninspired one. It feels like the type of game you might fall in love with if it had been your first exposure to the genre because everything is done well enough. But personally I've seen the same sort of game about 100 times now and there is just nothing to make it stand out.

Solid, but not exciting enough.

Vector - Level based endless runner (is that the right term?) with stylish enough graphics and a nice selection of moves (jump, slide, you know the stuff). My main issue, besides being derivative of several other games in the genre is I found it quite buggy, with quite a few crashes at the end of levels.
Still, the "being chased" rather than instant fail mechanic is a choice I like and I think it is worth a look if you like this style of game.

Worth a quick look

Spud's Quest - I never really liked Dizzy, so a Dizzy style game that isn't that great holds little appeal. It isn't terrible I suppose, but everything feels cramped and I couldn't get into it.

Might be enjoyable for "somebody"

Ionball 2: Ionstorm - Standard breakout clone with the main distinguising feature being an odd isometric view. Unfortunately this view makes the game extremely tough to play and kind of ruins what wouldn't have been that great anyway.

Nope.

Super Lemonade Factory - Pixel art puzzle platformer that requires you to push boxes with one character, jump higher with the other etc etc. It has been done many times before and the attempted "but charm" approach doesn't quite come off here.

Fun for two seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom