• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
so uh

somehow i've already played 4 hours of tits

i think if the questing system goes too wild i might start skipping some of em like i did with xenoblade but dam if ps1 jrpgs weren't amazing

like holy shit i love this

Haha I don't think it reaches the levels of Xenoblades side quest craziness. Xenoblade just throws like 20 or so quests at you at a time, its was crazy. I finally stopped caring about how many I completed after I reached the big ass forest town with Riki. TiTS is great though, glad to hear you're enjoying it so much!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Purkake4, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Zeno Clash -- MB-CEB55B1A04DE0D1F - Taken by xeris. 1 entrants total.

t1407035433z1.png

Relax.MX

depend on what you play, should be decent enough for most things, tf2/dota/csgo etc would run fine... some unreal games will probably be in lower settings and it's up to each games optimization of course..,

edit: I would never buy a gaming laptop... for a laptop I'd get something like you would get that gun run most things (except newer AAA games) and save the gaming machine for a desktop

Im with you, my gaming money is for my desktop. But be alone in a hotel(I traveled in dangerous cities). I guess this laptop is good to me, is just 14´ and if i can play Dota 2 i dont need more games.

zkylon

zkylewd
So you picked the game up? I thought you were in the wait-for-a-sale group. Couldn't resist the allure of some nice TitS, could you?
We're still doing tits jokes, right?

Anyways, if it affects your decision, just know that the save files carry over to the next game, so it might be a good idea to do as much as you can.
tits jokes are never out of style

anywho got it gifted but couldn't find room to give it a couple hours time which i figured the beginning would need as is often the case with jrpgs (and i wasn't wrong!)

interesting about the save file thing, i read that there are some hidden sidequests and such but tbh i can't be bothered with all of that. imma just play it as i feel, i think that's the best way for me as i don't really have the patience to 100% games

Haha I don't think it reaches the levels of Xenoblades side quest craziness. Xenoblade just throws like 20 or so quests at you at a time, its was crazy. I finally stopped caring about how many I completed after I reached the big ass forest town with Riki. TiTS is great though, glad to hear you're enjoying it so much!
yeah xenoblade was pretty fucking stupid specially since the quests were so mmo-like. i don't hold that against it since all of that crap was optional but sure could've used a fair bit of variety

this one so far is pretty great, i really enjoy the sprite+3d thing (tho i kinda wish the sprites weren't so 3d-looking... instead of like breath of fire/xenogears/suikoden pixelarty style)

like look at this shit, it's beautiful:

BoFIIIScene2.png

(mega low poly trees aside)

i'm hoping they'll introduce a couple more party members and this evil empire starts rearing its face as some of this stuff might be getting a bit redundant (tho reporter crew has faces so i'm guessing they'll be kind of important)

Is Walking Simulator a pejorative?

Think of them as a "first person non-shooter."

When there are puzzles to solve, this can be quite a fun and immersive (yes, I know, but bear with me) experience. When there aren't, it's usually written off as a non-game (see also: Home, Gone.). And some sit squarely in the middle between these two, such as the Stanley Parable, which features different endings based on the branching paths you take - and finding some of them can be a puzzle in and of itself.

MRORANGE

In my new job I have to travel a lot, I practically live in hotels. I'm looking for a laptop for work and play occasionally. If i can play Dota 2 very well im happy. But unfortunately I have not enough money to buy a gaming laptop(and because my gaming money is for my next The Witcher 3 PC)

I can get this machine:

14´
Intel (R) HD Graphics 4400
RAM: 6 GB
Intel Core I5 4200U

Will be enough?

Im with you, my gaming money is for my desktop. But be alone in a hotel(I traveled in dangerous cities). I guess this laptop is good to me, is just 14´ and if i can play Dota 2 i dont need more games.

there is a great PC gaming laptop thread that might be of use. I would say it can run DOTA 2 well if you skip FXAA/AA

Teeth

Think of them as a "first person non-shooter."

When there are puzzles to solve, this can be quite a fun and immersive (yes, I know, but bear with me) experience. When there aren't, it's usually written off as a non-game (see also: Home, Gone.). And some sit squarely in the middle between these two, such as the Stanley Parable, which features different endings based on the branching paths you take - and finding some of them can be a puzzle in and of itself.

There are a ton of other things to do in first person that don't involve shooting or solving puzzles. That doesn't immediately classify something as a walking simulator.

Creating a noise map in Maya and having the programmer read off some high school creative writing class final papers constitutes bottom of the barrel interactivity. Like calling someone an idiot for saying something dumb, it's not a literal phrase.

Turfster

The only game I call a walking simulator in the pejorative sense of the word, is fucking Dear Esther.

Gone Home? Adventure game.
Proteus? Zen experience.

Sober

There are a ton of other things to do in first person that don't involve shooting or solving puzzles. That doesn't immediately classify something as a walking simulator.

Creating a noise map in Maya and having the programmer read off some high school creative writing class final papers constitutes bottom of the barrel interactivity. Like calling someone an idiot for saying something dumb, it's not a literal phrase.
Yes let's just completely write off all the hand-crafted environmental objects in games like Gone Home and Stanley Parable and let's not forget it must be high school level creative writing because not only does it star a pair of teenagers but it is also about their feelings and not about a convoluted plot with explosions and stuff.

The only game I call a walking simulator in the pejorative sense of the word, is fucking Dear Esther.

Gone Home? Adventure game.
Proteus? Zen experience.
Dear Esther that shallow? Nothing adventurous exploring caverns or coast?
Images look so good and I love the idea of walking sims. haven't played it yet.

Teeth

Yes let's just completely write off all the hand-crafted environmental objects in games like Gone Home and Stanley Parable and let's not forget it must be high school level creative writing because not only does it star a pair of teenagers but it is also about their feelings and not about a convoluted plot with explosions and stuff.

I'm sorry, which games was I referring to?

This is the saddest shit: for clarity, Gone Home and The Stanley Parable aren't walking simulators.

I wouldn't even waste my time responding to that.

It's a sad state of affairs when something moderately interesting like Gone Home has to have its status as a game defended while CoD campaigns get cranked out year after year.

Proteus is dope!

The reason Dear Esther sucks is because you move so freaking slow

Walking speed is easily increased. It made it so I could play and finish the game instead of just setting it on fire.

Yes. There's some pretty graphics, but in the end, I that's about the only redeeming quality I found for the game... and it wasn't enough to outweigh the loads of negatives.

Turfster

You just walk forward at the speed of a glacier and listen to random snippets of bad poetry... and you can pick the "wrong" trail, which means you have to backtrack all the fucking way at the same speed of 1cm/decennium.

Humble Bundle CSRs are definitely taking the Steam approach to things. Almost 48 hours now without any sort of response at all. At least my issues with the other site were sorted.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DOTA2 sounds like a popular opinion for tomorrow. Looks like that is what we'll do!

Reminder, CS:GO starts soon. A few have already hopped into the server. Feel free to join us!

Click to join the server.

Quote to see Server Password.

Defuse kits on a hostage map, seriously? Is that the norm for casual servers?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So what about Anna?
Is that game in the same category or did I miss something? It's been on my to play list awhile.

Anna's a puzzler above everything else. I didn't find it very scary and the story lacked sense but some of the puzzle solutions were enjoyable to come across. The original was utterly horrible, some of the worst moonlogic I'd seen since adventure games died at the turn of the century. The new edition (which everyone automatically gets upgraded to) added a lot of new locations, puzzles, story, endings, etc.

Worth a shot but expect to run into some unpolished elements here and there.

So what about Anna?
Is that game in the same category or did I miss something? It's been on my to play list awhile.

Anna is more of a traditional point and click adventure game.

For example you may need to open a door to get into the first building. To do so, you search around and find a rock in a pond. Then logically you combine that rock with two insect legs you find in the long grass patch. But mind you, not the long grass patch at the start, the other long grass patch you find a bit later on.

Then you burn the rock and throw away the legs (right leg first and then the left leg after and NOT the other way around!) and the door opens.

At least that was my experience with the original version. It has since been updated based on "player feedback" which I hope was along the lines of "your puzzles are fucking stupid".

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Gunstarheroes/games/

I feel like streaming again, here is my library. Tell me what i should play since i'm really indecisive tonight. Some of these don't run great on my computer, but if its suggested, i'll try to play it. If its multiplayer, i'll see if any wonderful GAF members wanna jump in and see what i can do it. I probably wont start for 20-30 minutes anyways.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Anna is more of a traditional point and click adventure game.

For example you may need to open a door to get into the first building. To do so, you search around and find a rock in a pond. Then logically you combine that rock with two insect legs you find in the long grass patch. But mind you, not the long grass patch at the start, the other long grass patch you find a bit later on.

Then you burn the rock and throw away the legs (right leg first and then the left leg after and NOT the other way around!) and the door opens.

At least that was my experience with the original version. It has since been updated based on "player feedback" which I hope was along the lines of "your puzzles are fucking stupid".

Hahaha yes, they really listened to that. Hated Anna's original version with a passion. The first puzzle alone is so drastically different it compelled me to finish it a second time after the redux came out. Way better, but still kinda eh.

Hugstable

Banned

I feel like streaming again, here is my library. Tell me what i should play since i'm really indecisive tonight. Some of these don't run great on my computer, but if its suggested, i'll try to play it. If its multiplayer, i'll see if any wonderful GAF members wanna jump in and see what i can do it. I probably wont start for 20-30 minutes anyways.

Have you played Cave Story before? Play that!

Teeth

How good are you at Ikaruga?

EDIT: Looking again, you should finish Shovel Knight.

DLH.net is giving away Enclave and East India Company Gold for every user. No need to make account, login via Facebook possible.
You don't get keys though, games get added immediately to your account.
I see Caerith and Madridista have East India on their wishlist. Hopefully they see this.

Funny thing. East India Gold from there has appid 254000 which leads to nowhere in Steam.

Ventara

Just got my second foil ever, and it's from Shufflepuck Cantina, and is worth $0.52. Pretty sure it's my most expensive card drop yet, edging out Port Royale 3.

Based off of what you haven't played at all, I say Alice: Madness Returns.

How good are you at Ikaruga?

I want to be better at it then i actually am, lets just leave it at that.

Also, no, i haven't played Cave Story, so that could be cool.

Also, i will play Bad Rats.

I'm gonna see if i can't get a mic set-up and that doesn't sound like shit.

Teeth

I want to be better at it then i actually am, lets just leave it at that.

Also, no, i haven't played Cave Story, so that could be cool.

Also, i will play Bad Rats.

I'm gonna see if i can't get a mic set-up and that doesn't sound like shit.

I only ask because I've tried for 8 hours to get past the third level (with default presets) and I feel it's savagely difficult.

Using continues, I've made it to the fourth level and I don't even know how it's humanly possible. Yes, I know people have done it, it just seems to go from expertly designed reactive shooter to rote memorization maze game :/

Beelzebubs

DLH.net is giving away Enclave and East India Company Gold for every user. No need to make account, login via Facebook possible.
I see Caerith and Madridista have East India on their wishlist. Hopefully they see this.

Funny thing. East India Gold from there has appid 254000 which leads to nowhere in Steam.

Can't seem to work out how to do this, admittedly my German is very rusty but I don't see where it's mentioned.

After logging in, click "Profile/Keys" on the top right. Scroll down a bit and click the button next to the game(s) you'd like.

Well that's in direct contradiction to freshVeggie's sentence saying you don't need to make an account. LOL

I only see Enclave. Why is there no East India for me?

Finish Shadowrun Returns, man.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's a pity... is it just short or in general underdelivers?
Here is what I wrote in an earlier thread:

I knew what I was getting into with this game, but it's still really sad after Activision gutted High Moon. The new devs (Edge of Reality, Loadout) wisely use the gameplay framework from High Moon, but failed in pretty much every other department. It doesn't use the license well, the level design is just sad, the art direction is pathetic, and there are almost no worthwhile setpieces. War and Fall were really special games that I cherish my experiences with and they completely nailed all of those categories. The worst parts of Rise of the Dark Spark is definitely everything on earth. It doesn't tie into the movie at all other than character overlap and the visual direction required for an earth environment is clearly well beyond Edge of Reality's ability. At least on Cybertron they could crudely paste the High Moon assets together. There was one good level in the whole mess that was basically Descent with Transformers, but it was over far too quickly. I also had a bit of fun working on achievements in the horde mode, but it got old after a couple of hours.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this game even if you were madly in love with the Transformers franchise. I am filled with sadness knowing I will never get the finish to the Cybertron series that I deserve.

CSGO was really fun today, GGs. I think I've improved as this is my second time playing against people. Shotguns rock! :)

Thanks for this! Got Enclave, waiting for the other one.

jmizzal

A lil giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (jmizzal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Really Big Sky -- MB-54F376DE7FDCA8AA - Taken by Flandy. 1 entrants total.
Dino D-Day -- MB-621CDF713BE7B9C7
Spacechem -- MB-ED7F8E10953B26B4 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo. 1 entrants total.

t1407047914z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom