• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
*bows*

There is a bit of logic behind it - for example if the "Quick Sell" and "Instant Sell" price are the same, it will exclude the "Quick Sell" button completely. Additionally, if there are no current buy orders on the market the "Instant Sell" button will be excluded.

The page also won't reload (just disable that item) once the item has been listed for sale, so you can pretty easily go from one to the next.

What took you until now to do this? Err.... That came out the wrong way. Not calling you lazy. I mean--this is a somewhat easy feature, so I always assumed the reason it wasn't implemented was because of worries about ToS violation through market automation. Has Valve changed their ToS on market stuff or you've just concluded it's not a fear?

drakaenae

It should be pretty easy to do, I'll see what I can come up with.
Would it be possible to add a filter by price range option? Like, only show items 30 cents and above. Not sure if a lot of people will use this feature, but I only sell my more expensive cards, and just keep the cheaper ones unless if they rise in value, so it'd be useful. Thanks.

Edit: Or just adding a sort by value option

Vamphuntr

Anyway to make Kotor II run on win 10? I tried everything and it crashes at the Obsidian logo. I then decided to try Dark Souls I got in the humble bundle and I can't make vsync work with DSfix and it tears all the time I can't stand it. Not the best night for gaming :/

MUnited83

For you.
What took you until now to do this? Err.... That came out the wrong way. Not calling you lazy. I mean--this is a somewhat easy feature, so I always assumed the reason it wasn't implemented was because of worries about ToS violation through market automation. Has Valve changed their ToS on market stuff or you've just concluded it's not a fear?

This is just speculation on my end, but I think the worry about market automation was people sniping items that were mistakenly put on sale at the wrong price. A concern fixed when they changed the system to buy/sell orders.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The later. After talking with a few folks I know at Valve (and a few that have since left) it seems that they ultimately don't care. Further evidenced by the fact that the Inventory Helper extension now has a more active userbase than Enhanced Steam does.

Also - I've decided that I'm completely giving up on the idea of working at Valve. So while I would have been more cautious in the past to stay in their good graces, I've decided that I really could care less about that. Valve just wouldn't be a good fit for me, so I'm just moving on to doing my own thing and not letting that hold me back from making Enhanced Steam as good as it can be.

FTFY
Also, not an issue for me - planning on sticking with 1080p60 for the next few years. Should be enough to handle that.

Unless stuff plateaus, we've already seen quite a few AAA games that like to hog VRAM when it comes to textures. Unless they somehow make a phenomenal port when they re-release Arkham Knight, that alone wanted at least 3GB to let you use the non-3DS textures. 1080p60 is perfect for me. But if I dump $400 on a new card and then suddenly I don't have enough VRAM to use decent textures (or whatever), I'm going to be very upset... this is why I've been hoping for an 8gb card... I'd go with the 980Ti in a heartbeat if it had 2 more GB of VRAM.

The later. After talking with a few folks I know at Valve (and a few that have since left) it seems that they ultimately don't care. Further evidenced by the fact that the Inventory Helper extension now has a more active userbase than Enhanced Steam does.

Also - I've decided that I'm completely giving up on the idea of working at Valve. So while I would have been more cautious in the past to stay in their good graces, I've decided that I really could care less about that. Valve just wouldn't be a good fit for me, so I'm just moving on to doing my own thing and not letting that hold me back from making Enhanced Steam as good as it can be.

From the awesome stuff you've put together quickly, I'm sure you can do a lot greater things by yourself than as part of a corporate structure.

Dsyndrome

Anyway to make Kotor II run on win 10? I tried everything and it crashes at the Obsidian logo. I then decided to try Dark Souls I got in the humble bundle and I can't make vsync work with DSfix and it tears all the time I can't stand it. Not the best night for gaming :/

Works for me, no changes in KOTOR II settings. What kind of card are you using?
Unless stuff plateaus, we've already seen quite a few AAA games that like to hog VRAM when it comes to textures. Unless they somehow make a phenomenal port when they re-release Arkham Knight, that alone wanted at least 3GB to let you use the non-3DS textures. 1080p60 is perfect for me. But if I dump $400 on a new card and then suddenly I don't have enough VRAM to use decent textures (or whatever), I'm going to be very upset... this is why I've been hoping for an 8gb card... I'd go with the 980Ti in a heartbeat if it had 2 more GB of VRAM.
Arkham Knight performance/optimization better not be the future.

Sch1sm

I feel like Windows would be so empty without that. While it's ideal, it just...feels weird. So weird. So hollow.

Dark Souls barely plays properly, period, though.

New feature is good.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to get a ton of use out of this one.

As someone who pretty much keeps nothing in their inventory. This is great. This is absolutely great. I'll just bow down now.

Can't speak for KOTOR 2 since it works just fine for me, but for Dark Souls I had to set the FPS limit in DSfix.ini to 65 or thereabouts, for whatever reason.

But I've had that issue since Windows 8.

Steam just decided to delete all my cc info, entered again and Steam wants to delete again, it seems that Steam is broken at the moment since my cc info can't be stored :/

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It's so hard to remember story stuff after taking a break for 2 months in a RPG, can't remember most stuff from deus ex: HR at least not what happened in what order.

Dsyndrome

It's so hard to remember story stuff after taking a break for 2 months in a RPG, can't remember most stuff from deus ex: HR at least not what happened in what order.

He didn't ask for this.

BAM. Back in the game.
I have no idea where I'm at in it, either.

Kifimbo

Spare:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Titan Attacks! -- MB-CED1521C80199851 - Taken by crazyrabbits

Sch1sm

I'm with Lain. It's fine. Just reenter your info all the time. Keep your life extra secure. Unless you already have two factor authentication, and don't share an account. In which case, yeah, I can see how that's irritating.

Managed to get the Windows 10 update popup and reserved successfully. Got a confirmation email for the reservation, too.

How do I install Windows 10 as an update though? Right-clicked the popup and clicked "Download Windows 10" but nothing happens.

Sch1sm

Managed to get the Windows 10 update popup and reserved successfully. Got a confirmation email for the reservation, too.

How do I install Windows 10 as an update though? Right-clicked the popup and clicked "Download Windows 10" but nothing happens.

Probably have to force install it, fV.

E: Here.

I personally just went the route of command prompt (in administrator mode, of course) after deleting everything in Windows/SoftwareDistribution/download

Code:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Dsyndrome

What happened with the exclusivity deal for Everyone's Gone to the Rapture that PC doesn't see the same/any release date? Make's it simple for where to get it, but usually Sony doesn't make PC suffer the fate of the Xbone.

Steam is doing you a favor.

I'm with Lain. It's fine. Just reenter your info all the time. Keep your life extra secure. Unless you already have two factor authentication, and don't share an account. In which case, yeah, I can see how that's irritating.

Well I just needed to complete the purchase and my info got stored.... for me it's easier to have my info stored since I do not share my account and I have Steam Guard enabled, I just need a smartphone for the extra authentication:D

Nzyme32

What happened with the exclusivity deal for Everyone's Gone to the Rapture that PC doesn't see the same/any release date? Make's it simple for where to get it, but usually Sony doesn't make PC suffer the fate of the Xbone.

Give it time and it will show up.

If the game is developed by a third party and has no investment and development from Sony themselves, it will eventually be on PC.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Unlike other instances, Sony's Santa Monica studio was directly involved in the development of Rapture after the PS4 exclusive announcement was made. Dan of TCR has stated multiple times that he's made it clear to Sony that releasing on the PC would be something they would like to do, but ultimately, it's up to them to decide if we'll ever see it.

Strangely enough, even on launch day, he's still insisting that it isn't impossible. I just don't know if I can get my hopes up. :c

Sch1sm

Well I just needed to complete the purchase and my info got stored.... for me it's easier to have my info stored since I do not share my account and I have Steam Guard enabled, I just need a smartphone for the extra authentication:D

You can use an email for that.

If you do wait for the mobile, I'm just going to stress that you keep your recovery code safe. I was locked out for a week because I restored my phone to factor settings, and couldn't find the code. I eventually did, which is the only reason I managed. But man, was that a trip.

Sarcasm

I use my phone for all my authentication. It was annoying having steam do it's stuff via email.

Just make sure to use your phones screencap ability and upload to cloud service of your recovery code.

jediyoshi

so9GP6L.png

h-hi steam-chan
i like your hair clip
okay bye

You can use an email for that.

If you do wait for the mobile, I'm just going to stress that you keep your recovery code safe. I was locked out for a week because I restored my phone to factor settings, and couldn't find the code. I eventually did, which is the only reason I managed. But man, was that a trip.

Isn't the Steam Guard email verification the one you are talking about?

And thanks for the tip about the mobile code :)

Sch1sm

Isn't the Steam Guard email verification the one you are talking about?

And thanks for the tip about the mobile code :)

The mobile one is also called Steam Guard, to be fair. But they're both essentially the same. You either get the code in your email, or you get it on your phone by opening up the Steam app. The code on the phone becomes obsolete a lot more quickly, like you've got 15 seconds to type in those digits (if you catch it at the start, which isn't always the case).

iosefe

Can iobisoft make money with their next game, BeamMan? find out next time on...

GDT

*edit* OH MY GOD

i accidentally closed the game

Dsyndrome

Unlike other instances, Sony's Santa Monica studio was directly involved in the development of Rapture after the PS4 exclusive announcement was made. Dan of TCR has stated multiple times that he's made it clear to Sony that releasing on the PC would be something they would like to do, but ultimately, it's up to them to decide if we'll ever see it.

Strangely enough, even on launch day, he's still insisting that it isn't impossible. I just don't know if I can get my hopes up. :c

Thanks, got it downloading now. Hopefully it comes to PC eventually (and even Xbone). Sucks that reviews all slammed not being able to run, and yet it's there (or was patched in, can't tell).

Sarcasm

The mobile one is also called Steam Guard, to be fair. But they're both essentially the same. You either get the code in your email, or you get it on your phone by opening up the Steam app. The code on the phone becomes obsolete a lot more quickly, like you've got 15 seconds to type in those digits (if you catch it at the start, which isn't always the case).

This is how it is suppose to work yea know. Look at Blizzards and others. Even the ones used for working folk.

The email one is convenient if you don't have two-step and other stuff, but the steam one is quicker if you do.

I even need an authenticator to log into my email -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom