• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So are we doing 2 different parties for the killing floor 2 game night if we get enough players?

Also we can use my mumble server for it as usual if anyone want to.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
It might have already been discussed but are there any noteworthy games in the "Japanese Indie Game Festival" sale on Steam atm?

Crimzon Clover is one of the best Shmups ever made imo, so get it if you like the genre :)

So are we doing 2 different parties for the killing floor 2 game night if we get enough players?

Also we can use my mumble server for it as usual if anyone want to.

Yes, on our way to two teams :)

I know you all want to play with me, don't fight please, any redheads get a seat on Team A with me, there's still time to dye yourselves. :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The shocking part of this is that there's a hundred people using IE7.

Even more shocking is that Microsoft have yet to update their standard .NET Web Browser control to force a document standard other than IE7. And to get it to do anything differently, looks like I'm resorting to modifying the user registry (ugh)

MUnited83

For you.
Can you still redeem the NVIDIA codes? I saw a couple of people (including you) selling keys in B/S/T. I might pick one up this week.

Isn't the next patch imminent? Or do we suspect a delay announcement instead?
Yeah, it seems that the information about the codes expiring was incorrect. It just meant that NVIDIA wouldn't send any more codes to retailers, not that it stopped working.

This Friday we are playing Killing Floor 2 on Euro game night, murricans are welcome too.

It only has up to 6 player coop so seats will be limited, but I'm not sure how many people will actually have the game.

header.jpg

1 - NingenJanai
2 - Maniac
3 - derExperte
4 - corrosivefrost
5 - ricochetguro
6 - Spirited
7 - freshveggie
8 - Roboleon
* -

t1439578800z0.png
I'm in, if there is space.

Eila

Crimzon Clover is one of the best Shmups ever made imo, so get it if you like the genre :)

Indeed. I mean, I'm not big in the genre, but it's the only one I have largely enjoyed out of the ones I have tried on steam,
Though that would probably change whenever I check out Ikaruga. Apparently it's great.
Touhou on steam when?

Yeah, it seems that the information about the codes expiring was incorrect. It just meant that NVIDIA wouldn't send any more codes to retailers, not that it stopped working.

The stupid part is that, even if the nvidia codes had an expiration date, unless it's very different than AMD, I don't know why they just wouldn't redeem the nvidia code to get a batman ak steam key and keep those -- those should be good forever. Then just sell the steam key directly instead of selling people the code to redeem for a key.

I can't remember how the process worked for AK back in may though, so it might just not be possible... but I do remember getting a bunch of codes from the AMD promo and giving them away here after I parted them up for 3 games each.

Just updated to the Firefox 41 Beta. RIP Enhanced Steam.

But ES isn't dead. It's still working like a champ for me. :3

Hey fellas, this isn't a Steam thing but thought I'd share anyhow. I got my N3DS modded with video out from that Japanese shop and they did an amazing job. Did a quick video to show it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1vdDeBiCQ

Apparently it has Oculus Rift support, but unfortunately for me, Windows 10 doesn't support Oculus yet. I tried some work-arounds on the forums and no dice.

In any event, they did a really nice job with the mod, just a small MicroUSB sized hole near the power port and that it. Nothing sticking out, no wires dangling about. Super clean.

Also apparently Audio-out via USB is in beta but it worked perfect for me. The instructions recommended I use a 3.5mm cable to my Line-In but it doesn't seem like it's necessary.

It's expensive as hell to get done but they did a great job and the software they supply works very well.
Just watched it. That is so cool! You can now play all your 3DS games on your monitor or even the big screen. So nice.
250 bucks to get one's 3DS is pretty hefty, I agree with you. But hey, I am happy you did it :) Gives me a chance to see some 3DS reviews of you.
Another slightly off-topic question. I only ever used a DS-Lite once and it felt not very well ergonomically. Buttons and Dpad were tiny and generally holding it in my two hands felt not good. Worst were the shoulder buttons. How does a 3DS XL fare in that part?

Knurek

SteamGAF, halp!

I put my new 970 into mobo, put up 8 pin PCI-Express power cord (in correct orientation).
Booting the computer, both CPU and GPU fans spin, but it hangs on the BIOS screen.
Switched back to 750 TI, no problem - so I didn't fry anything, luckily.

The card is getting juice from PSU, since the fans spin.
Question - is it getting enough juice? I have 430W PSU, which should be enough to drive the card (according to Gigabyte 400W minimum when coupled with i7).
Or is this a mobo issue? Should I try upgrading BIOS, or would new PSU be a better choice here?

Gigabyte B75M-D3V mobo, Gigabyte 970 MiniITX, Corsair CX430M.
Tried both the PSU 8-pin connecter and the one supplied with the card (2 molex->8 pin), no dice.
Tried unplugging two HDDs, no dice.

Anyone have some idea?

madjoki

The stupid part is that, even if the nvidia codes had an expiration date, unless it's very different than AMD, I don't know why they just wouldn't redeem the nvidia code to get a batman ak steam key and keep those -- those should be good forever. Then just sell the steam key directly instead of selling people the code to redeem for a key.

It registers it directly to steam account, like Humble Bundle used to.

MUnited83

For you.

I can't remember how the process worked for AK back in may though, so it might just not be possible... but I do remember getting a bunch of codes from the AMD promo and giving them away here after I parted them up for 3 games each.

But ES isn't dead. It's still working like a champ for me. :3
Its different in NVIDIA case. You don't get Steam keys . the game gets directly redeem to your Steam account when you use the site, so traders can't just go redeem codes and hoard keys.

SteamGAF, halp!

I put my new 970 into mobo, put up 8 pin PCI-Express power cord (in correct orientation).
Booting the computer, both CPU and GPU fans spin, but it hangs on the BIOS screen.

Question - is it getting enough juice? I have 430W PSU, which should be enough to drive the card (according to Gigabyte 400W minimum when coupled with i7).
Or is this a mobo issue? Should I try upgrading BIOS, or would new PSU be a better choice here?

Tried both the PSU 8-pin connecter and the one supplied with the card (2 molex->8 pin), no dice.

Anyone have some idea?

I'm not sure if that 400w figure is realistic. The 970 doesn't eat up a lot of power, but it's not a lightweight either. I'd say that's the problem.

Skii

D4 and unholy heights.

Interested in D4 but I'm hoping it goes down a bit more since a 25% discount isn't tempting enough.

Eryis Action is a really fun "Troll" platformer (I dunno the actual name of the genre).
The game tricks you time and time again and you learn from it. To the point where you play the tricks it does to you right back.

100% Orange Juice is a fun Board Game if you have people to play with. Just pray that the RNG gods are on your side.

The Exceed games are good Bullet Hell shooters if you are into that.

War of the Human tanks is a great strategy/Visual novel title. It's a combination of battleship and Chess.

Those are the highlights from me for titles that are often overlooked from the bigger ones in the sale.

If you like VNs, all on sale are good.

Most games on that sale are good, you can safely buy every playism game too if you don't have those yet.

Okay, thanks. I'm going to look at some reviews of them.

Just read the steam reviews of this game...All I can say is lol.

It's not a comfortable handheld.
I still don't like the construction on it -- all around, it feels cheap to me and for the life of me, I just cannot adapt to the circlepad.
Eh. Another time I used a PSP once and it felt so good. Can only drool how good a Vita feels. But 3DS also looks fun + backwards compatibility is pretty swell. Hm, I am a fan of dual screen and clamshell design but (3)DS sure could be more ergonomic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cargo 3 -- MB-C080145093F93AA7 - Taken by madjoki
City of Fools -- MB-E9B993F4F773FB90 - Taken by nightstorm
Predator Simulator -- MB-2A70BCACCE6AC9A5 - Taken by Lain
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

(Itch.io) Collisions -- MB-F56F6529E5B4D199 - Taken by bobnowhere
(Itch.io) Collisions #2 -- MB-99F3B3FF77FEBCD5 - Taken by Kurt Russell

Redeem the Itch.io key to retrieve your Steam key.

you kidding, right?

Why would I kid about the possibility of a free +1? ;)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Vita is an extremely comfortable handheld. When I'm playing all the great games it has it's exactly like I'm holding nothing at all.

SteamGAF, halp!

Anyone have some idea?
Oh man, sorry to hear you are having troubles. :(
Only thing I can think would be PSU power. 430W is a bit on the low side even though it should be enough "technically". Did you try to unplug all non-essential stuff from your MOBO; DVD-Drive etc?
Other than that, try plugging your monitor to your integrated MOBO video output (while having your 970 plugged in). Boot into Windows and make a clean install of Nvidia drivers. Restart and plug monitor to your 970.
Good luck!

Tizoc

The Vita is an extremely comfortable handheld. When I'm playing all the great games it has it's exactly like I'm holding nothing at all.

Speaking of Vita, here's one Vita game I'd like to see on Steam, seeing as we get a lot of Vita ports anyways :V
250px-Lost_Dimension_boxart.png

Framerate is atrocious at various parts of the game, but it plays like Valkyria Chronicles somewhat, so playing it with a better framerate would make the experience better.

Would also be a good chance for Furyu to start on Steam if they haven't already :p

I'm not sure if that 400w figure is realistic. The 970 doesn't eat up a lot of power, but it's not a lightweight either. I'd say that's the problem.

I'd agree.
430w sounds really low end for a system trying to use a 970.
When I spec'ed out my system, I didn't even look at power supplies lower than like 700w just to make sure I'd have enough power to run everything and that was for a 770.
Then again, I tend to try to future proof as much as possible when upgrading and parting out (and this is why I haven't gotten a 900 series nvidia yet due to none of the cards having what I consider enough VRAM after my current experience with the 2gb 770).... so 700w might be overkill, but it might be time to look into a power supply upgrade.

Know anyone with a beefier PSU that you could borrow to see if it fixes the issue?

Disgusting

Just like redheads. -___-;

derExperte

It absolutely is, a normal system with a 970 under load doesn't come close to 400w and boot up should be no problem at all. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15 The PSU could still be the issue of course and on its last legs or something.

Thanks for sparing me googling it myself. ;) Worked.

Phawx

Another slightly off-topic question. I only ever used a DS-Lite once and it felt not very well ergonomically. Buttons and Dpad were tiny and generally holding it in my two hands felt not good. Worst were the shoulder buttons. How does a 3DS XL fare in that part?

It's pretty similar ergonomically, not as edgy. If you were prone to getting cramped hands before, you'll probably still get it. I just pushed past that pain and now I don't experience it anymore.

Phawx

SteamGAF, halp!

Anyone have some idea?

You can try clearing your CMOS after installing the 970. Pull the plug on the PSU and then take out the battery (coin cell) on the motherboard. Count to 15 and put the battery back in and try to power it up.

Tizoc

..aaand Vita apparently has sublime battery power!

Man morningbus, you are about to make a Vita-Boy out of me.

That too, the Vita's battery is fantastic. you could press the PS Button to 'pause' a game, leave it for like a week and then come back to see it still has like 50% charge left.

Hektor

So... For some reason, my Win 7 key stopped working/Got banned a few weeks ago after reinstalling Win7. Its an OEM key that i bought in a shady computer store years ago, probably has something to do with that.

Now, since i wanted to upgrade to WinX this weekend, where can i get a cheap Win 7 Home Premium key?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So... For some reason, my Win 7 key stopped working/Got banned a few weeks ago after reinstalling Win7. Its an OEM key that i bought in a shady computer store years ago, probably has something to do with that.

Now, since i wanted to upgrade to WinX this weekend, where can i get a cheap Win 7 Home Premium key?

Just buy a Win10 key.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I like my Vita as much as any regular SteamGaffer, but I strongly disagree on the battery life being "fantastic". It's actually worse than my N3DS, which is also quite bad.

Man I miss the battery life of GBA and DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom